Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not really no, but turning with the mouse was lightning quick compared to keyboard only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope in fact Doom wasn't even true 3D, guns automatically tracked the height of enemies as long as you were aiming in the right direction.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, you need a mouse on ultra violence (why aren't you playing on ultra violence?) for the second half of the game.

I was playing it alongside DOOM and, as absolutely amazing as DOOM is, Doom 2 is still better to this day, swear to God Baphomet.

e: In thread-related news, I started downloading Marvel Heroes last night and woke up this morning to it STILL DOWNLOADING. I even put the PS4 into rest mode. Jesus Christ, how bad is their infrastructure!?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nerdman42 posted:

Gone Home seems like the thing where people either enjoy it as the story of a family and their various problems that your character apparently never knew about or they dislike it because they expected a horror game or wanted more gameplay than just walking around finding keys/opening safes. Honestly, I don't think either interpretation is wrong either.

Anybody who saw this preview and thought Gone Home was going to be a ghost game is hella dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neh5WJR2IdA

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gone Home, like most walking sims, is not for everyone. The gameplay is just rummaging through a fully realized fake house which I think is really cool but if that's not something you think is cool you probably will not like it.

The game defyingly has a creepy atmosphere, especially at the start, but I never got a supernatural vibe from it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have a theory that people who like Gone Home and people who like Yakuza both have their formative roots in Shenmue and it depended on what aspects of that game you enjoyed the most.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The best walking simulator is Octodad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seeing people try to turn walking simulator into "narrative experience" was toe curling. Like yeah, walking simulator is a really goofy way to dismiss this stuff, but c'mon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was the joke name I came up with for them :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

That was the joke name I came up with for them :(

Well poo poo, it must have spread then. Saw it used on a lot of websites and in reviews. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe it's just the first thing that pops into peoples heads

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's plenty of solid gameplay in Gone Home, it just comes out of the player's inference from the objects they find and the order in which they find them. It's a story that can only really be told in a game format.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Was there ever much need for vertical looking or shooting in Doom?

You can't move your aim vertically at all, no. Even with a mouse.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gone Home - A Choose Your Own Adventure Book

To examine Christmas Duck turn to Page 49
To enter the house turn to Page 113

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't think it's surprising that people who post about video games online hate a light exercise simulator.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's less about the exercise and more about the empty house reflecting them on the inside.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

I don't think it's surprising that people who post about video games online hate a light exercise simulator.

I don't think it's surprising that people who post about video games online consider walking around the house "exercise"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Gone Home, but on one of those mobility scooters (the fat person extra-wide kind, not the 'this is for people that actually need it' kind) and then you lose because you can't get to the attic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I spent ten minutes failing to get the speed run 'cheevo for Gone Home then deleted the game. It was still a better experience than most of the PS+ free games have been lately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Gone Home, but on one of those mobility scooters (the fat person extra-wide kind, not the 'this is for people that actually need it' kind) and then you lose because you can't get to the attic.

Fortunately the game was set in 1995 before 90% of Americans were too obese to comfortably scale a flight of stairs.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: In thread-related news, I started downloading Marvel Heroes last night and woke up this morning to it STILL DOWNLOADING. I even put the PS4 into rest mode. Jesus Christ, how bad is their infrastructure!?
Sometimes you just get a poo poo connection. I started mine from work and it was done before I got home.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exquisite tea posted:

I have a theory that people who like Gone Home and people who like Yakuza both have their formative roots in Shenmue and it depended on what aspects of that game you enjoyed the most.

I LOVED opening every single cupboard and closet in Shenmue and looking through their content so Gone Home was essentially made for me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is the only controller for original PC DOOM.

That's an Arkanoid-style spinner for turning, while the flightstick is for moving forward/backward and strafing.

Since this is pre-USB, two connectors are required: one for the GAME/MIDI port for the joystick+buttons portion, and one 9-pin COM for the spinner, which is essentially treated as a single-axis mouse.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I feel oddly nostalgic for those lovely days on bizarre hardware.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, I miss the Kinect too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like a Ubisoft sale this week lol

EDIT: And Santa Monica Studios sale

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, I miss the Kinect too.

At least we finally found out what our soles look like.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Looks like a Ubisoft sale this week lol

EDIT: And Santa Monica Studios sale
Not shocking considering the Division free weekend just ended.

Not that I found much to like in that game personally.

e: Hah. The Order 1886 is down to $4 CAD.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you don't already, watch LGR's Oddware videos. Dude digs up some weird poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Division is an amazing technical achievement in capturing the scale of lower Manhattan in unprecedented detail. Unfortunately it does this in service to a kind of bland open world co-op shooter instead of literally anything else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Manhattan is extremely ugly and boring so it's a good choice for an Ubisoft open world game

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
If I can find something nice to say about it, it would be that, and that the movement to cover mechanic was pretty well-executed. It's a setting and mechanic with potential but literally nothing else going for it.

I particularly disliked the MMO-y bullet sponge factor from the get-go.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Division is one of the few times I have truly regretted playing a video game. At least it came for free with my video card.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

e: Hah. The Order 1886 is down to $4 CAD.

Recently got my girlfriend into "movie games" like Until Dawn and David Cage's poo poo. Maybe this will be worth it finally.

re: The Division: It received a patch a few months back that majorly overhauls the endgame and greatly reduces the time to kill. It's still not without problems, but it's a legitimately enjoyable game now for 90% of it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Recently got my girlfriend into "movie games" like Until Dawn and David Cage's poo poo. Maybe this will be worth it finally.
It's literally cheaper than the minimum SEN wallet transaction amount of $5. If it's not "worth it" now, it never will be.

That said, at this sale price I'd say it's heading to PS+ freebie soon enough.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

This is the only controller for original PC DOOM.

That's an Arkanoid-style spinner for turning, while the flightstick is for moving forward/backward and strafing.

Since this is pre-USB, two connectors are required: one for the GAME/MIDI port for the joystick+buttons portion, and one 9-pin COM for the spinner, which is essentially treated as a single-axis mouse.

lol if you don't play all first person games with a trackball for each hand

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

re: The Division: It received a patch a few months back that majorly overhauls the endgame and greatly reduces the time to kill. It's still not without problems, but it's a legitimately enjoyable game now for 90% of it.
also it was free last weekend, so you just missed your chance to play it for the appropriate price

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The other threads are saying Strafe is bad, that's $20 saved

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Considering its main goal as a harkening back to 90s FPS (including the speed and difficulty thereof) I cannot imagine how much more difficult it'd be on a controller.

I mean Doom had no mouselook and arrow key movement so if strafe is like that kind of 90s shooter a controller will be fine

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gonna buy the order for $4 and you can't stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pleasantly supposed locoroco is just $15. Expected $20 minimum. Made that decision easier.

Also, is Butcher any good? (I know it's been out on PC for awhile now)