Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zeris posted:

I know a lot of west pointers are idiot jackass entitled babies, but also a lot of west pointers are poor kids doing it for the free college and guaranteed job afterwards so idk

dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
That doesn't mean they don't deserve to be hazed

Just like, I don't know, wait til they gently caress up on active duty before earmarking them for the zyklon shower

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

they signed on the dotted line, they already hosed up

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
kill him! :twisted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

this but unironically

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

just borrow money from him and never pay it back :twisted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The Columbia River isn't too far off. Just saying.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Back when I briefly thought about applying to West Point, I was asked two questions by a retired COL that quickly changed my mind.

1. Can you fathom happiness in life if you don't go?

2. Do you plan to keep loving girls without risking your college future?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Back when I briefly thought about applying to West Point, I was asked two questions by a retired COL that quickly changed my mind.

1. Can you fathom happiness in life if you don't go?

2. Do you plan to keep loving girls without risking your college future?

I just asked if the commission from there gave you more money or something than the commission I could get elsewhere. The answer was no.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sorry for the absence, been busy getting up to speed in my new job.

So, in case anyone didn't know, Kandahar is kinda depressing. Since the drawdown a lot of the businesses have up and left, their trailers and shacks taken down, so walking anywhere will most likely lead to you crossing big swathes of concrete pads where stores and poo poo used to be. The Boardwalk, if anyone remembers, only has about four or five businesses left. It's like a weird, still-lived-in version of one of those 'reclaimed by nature' docs.

Also, there's a picture of a Terminator-Bear near the airfield that I'll take a snapshot of when I get the chance.

All in all, it's...well, it's not bad. I've been to a lot worse.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I just asked if the commission from there gave you more money or something than the commission I could get elsewhere. The answer was no.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Sorry for the absence, been busy getting up to speed in my new job.

So, in case anyone didn't know, Kandahar is kinda depressing. Since the drawdown a lot of the businesses have up and left, their trailers and shacks taken down, so walking anywhere will most likely lead to you crossing big swathes of concrete pads where stores and poo poo used to be. The Boardwalk, if anyone remembers, only has about four or five businesses left. It's like a weird, still-lived-in version of one of those 'reclaimed by nature' docs.

Also, there's a picture of a Terminator-Bear near the airfield that I'll take a snapshot of when I get the chance.

All in all, it's...well, it's not bad. I've been to a lot worse.

Can you still taste the air when you breathe?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

All I know is that every since I went over there my nose is running constantly.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Today I got to watch while a cute doc stuffed an endoscope up my nose. Pretty cool even though it's a little uncomfortable and the stuff they use to relax those tissues tastes like poo poo (gag-inducing nasty).

e: I type gud

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 9, 2017

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Zeris posted:

I know a lot of west pointers are idiot jackass entitled babies, but also a lot of west pointers are poor kids doing it for the free college and guaranteed job afterwards so idk

I'm not saying get him before he gets you but if his ego is writing checks his rear end can't cash now do us all a favor before he decides a medal or letter of commendation is more important than the men. Academy guys are weirdly fratricidal, even unintentionally.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
the ones that play sports are usually ok

it's like if you have a dog and you don't socialize it with other dogs

gotta get them outta the house and have someone smell their buttholes is what i'm saying

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
Don't most of them play sports? It gets them out of pt for a while I think

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kick-Puncher posted:

Don't most of them play sports? It gets them out of pt for a while I think

Not most by any means. And last I talked to a West Pointer for a while, they don't really have organized PT unless your score is low. It does, however, get you out of a bunch of mandatory cadet bullshit for training time and gets you to be able to go touring about and possibly (definitely) getting more chances to have some sex or drink some booze or just generally see some normalcy.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh also make sure to let him know that everyone that didn't go to the academy thinks that poo poo is retarded as gently caress

like really hammer it home please

alternatively

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

oh also make sure to let him know that everyone that didn't go to the academy thinks that poo poo is retarded as gently caress

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wrong thread. Oops.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 10, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

alternatively

Yep.

I'm glad I got to have fun in civilian college and get the exact same commission he suffered for.

And he's probably so brokebrained he can't even understand how much better ROTC/OCS is.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
some variation of "uhmm actuially West Point has a lot of Pride/Honor/Tradition" etc

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My old commander (Captain Morgan) was an ROTC guy and he said he did the enlisted thing, didn't feel like getting treated like poo poo so he went to ROTC because he likes to drink and gently caress.

He still gets treated like poo poo "but at least I got to drink and gently caress and now I get paid more."

I also hit on his wife at a ball before he became our CO.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ROTC used to give you the most bang for your buck, because there wasn't a cap on scholarship amounts (unlike SLRP); it was 100% tuition. I think they may have capped it more recently, but I managed to get the Army to spend about $170,000 on tuition for the price of two bulged disks and a couple of years of my mid 20s. This doesn't include the money the VA is paying me now to get a master's.

I mean the military is still pretty dumb, and I wouldn't do it again, but it was the least dumb way to commission I think. Unless you can also get them to pay for med school, then it's even less not a good idea.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 10, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Can you still taste the air when you breathe?

Not as bad as Iraq was, but yes.

psydude posted:

All I know is that every since I went over there my nose is running constantly.

For the past couple of days it feels like someone punched me in the face, and the fist never left. Holy gently caress I hate allergies if these are allergies, now I know why my wife was so cranky.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Still working on my can't breathe VA rating.

Also in national guard news, my unit's first integrated drill with our rear D was an APFT. Our combined unit pass rear is less than 35%. This includes profiles who didn't test.

We're now going to active duty PT standards and re diagnosing failures every month, and recording every 6th.

The optimists of my unit are like, "We need positive reinforcement and off duty PT sessions and NCOs to inspire a culture of fitness."

Someone looked dead at my permanently profiled SNCOs and said, "It's pretty obvious nothing happens to failures for years, so why would they loving try?"

COMPLETELY UNRELATED: No one understands why retention is so awful.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

Still working on my can't breathe VA rating.

Also in national guard news, my unit's first integrated drill with our rear D was an APFT. Our combined unit pass rear is less than 35%. This includes profiles who didn't test.

We're now going to active duty PT standards and re diagnosing failures every month, and recording every 6th.

The optimists of my unit are like, "We need positive reinforcement and off duty PT sessions and NCOs to inspire a culture of fitness."

Someone looked dead at my permanently profiled SNCOs and said, "It's pretty obvious nothing happens to failures for years, so why would they loving try?"

COMPLETELY UNRELATED: No one understands why retention is so awful.

Why would a commander include people who didn't even take an APFT in his rollup? That's a noob move. :colbert:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
hey folks hows the army

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TBeats posted:

hey folks hows the army

Lookin smaller in my rearview errday

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
All the senior leadership in the BDE is at NTC for a week and a half and it's amazing

I'd really appreciate it if they just stay there forever, and never come back

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Accepted a job offer and it feels pretty sweet. The list of bonuses also has a hidden section including things like NEVER TAKE AN APFT AGAIN and LAUGH WHEN YOU SEE PEOPLE STANDING IN FORMATION BECAUSE YOU NEVER WILL.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Mustang posted:

All the senior leadership in the BDE is at NTC for a week and a half and it's amazing

I'd really appreciate it if they just stay there forever, and never come back

You really hosed your life up lmao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spacetoaster posted:

Why would a commander include people who didn't even take an APFT in his rollup? That's a noob move. :colbert:

Because if he didn't it would be an even LOWER number of "Pass". Everyone got post-deployment fat, and that's fine, whatever, but the rear-D was already having a APFT fail issue.

Oh yeah, and my command just realized that even if they "toughened up" on the regs for getting slows and fats out, they'd STILL have to wait for 18 months before the first soldier would be chaptered, since it takes three record fails. Again, why would the failing kids even loving try if they have to do additional PT anyway every month, especially if they don't have that much time on their contract?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 11, 2017

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

milk milk lemonade posted:

You really hosed your life up lmao

Other than cramming 2 years of training into 9 months, life is going pretty good. Army sent me to a great area where junior officers have pretty good job opportunities when they get out. If this op tempo keeps up the Army only owns me until next summer, if I really wanted to I could already be acaping

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Other than cramming 2 years of training into 9 months, life is going pretty good. Army sent me to a great area where junior officers have pretty good job opportunities when they get out. If this op tempo keeps up the Army only owns me until next summer, if I really wanted to I could already be acaping

You're gonna be giving speeches to young LTs about how you thought you'd get out but never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If I lived anywhere but Washington you'd probably be right