Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Chinook posted:

I might check that out. There are so many god damned names and events to keep straight that an overview like that would be helpful. I got dw7 for that purpose though, so I'll go through its story mode first.

Cao Cao's actor makes it worth it, his troll mode is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Is Spirit of Sanada actually new or just a TV tie-in SW4-III?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Is Spirit of Sanada actually new or just a TV tie-in SW4-III?

It looks like the game is more independent than SW4-II, in practice, even though many assets are predictably recycled.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Chinook posted:

Yeah, I guess values were different back then. I remember when I tried to actually read a translation of the books (4 volumes, I couldn't finish), there was some guy who killed and fed his wife to Liu Bei, and then Liu Bei praised the guy for being so loyal.

The best part about that (IIRC) is the book doesn't let you know what Liu Bei's thinking immediately, so it's a huge twist (from a modern perspective) when he discovers the dude's wife's butchered corpse and breaks down crying, and then you realize he's crying in gratitude.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Romanization is a hell of a thing basically. If you read some of the old copies of the Romance, written back when Wade-Giles was the predominant style Cao Cao's name would be written in English as Ts'ao Ts'ao. Or Tsao Tsao.

Translating languages with completely separate syllabaries is really hard

My first copy of Romance was Wade-Giles and it was kind of fun trying to figure out who everyone was.

Dong Zhuo in Wade-Giles is Tung Cho. I have no idea how they got that.

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Quick question. I bought Dynasty Warriors 7 digitally on PSN when it was added a while back, and was thinking of revisiting it now with Xtreme Legend. Anybody know if the remix mode will work if both titles are present on the PS3 digitally? I'd like to think they made it work, but I have my doubts.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
If you guys think Wade-Giles was weird, I vaguely remember a translation of the book where the translators thought Chinese names were too hard for English readers, so they replaced all the names with figures from American Folklore. I think Guan Yu or Liu Bei was Daniel Boone. I didn't get too far past the first chapter.

I kind of want to find it again just to laugh at it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Airspace posted:

If you guys think Wade-Giles was weird, I vaguely remember a translation of the book where the translators thought Chinese names were too hard for English readers, so they replaced all the names with figures from American Folklore. I think Guan Yu or Liu Bei was Daniel Boone. I didn't get too far past the first chapter.

If you find it please post it because that sounds incredible

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Airspace posted:

This sounds like a dream I had

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 really really turns up the heat in battles once you hit the Beastlands, holy poo poo was the mass brawl against the Al-Khazam army hard, there was at least 12 minibosses rampaging around all at once in the first battle and the one immediately after was just wave after wave of boss mobs and Nightmaws hiding behind a Dragon and his own forces, so the difficulty feels about right for a Dragon Quest game but woe betide people who don't level grind.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Judge Tesla posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 really really turns up the heat in battles once you hit the Beastlands, holy poo poo was the mass brawl against the Al-Khazam army hard, there was at least 12 minibosses rampaging around all at once in the first battle and the one immediately after was just wave after wave of boss mobs and Nightmaws hiding behind a Dragon and his own forces, so the difficulty feels about right for a Dragon Quest game but woe betide people who don't level grind.

Funny, I don't think I had any real trouble until the last two missions (both of which I felt were kind of bullshit in their own ways).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Does DQH2 have the same problem as the first one where the combat devolves into just cycling through characters and dumping their MP bar, rather than having a reason to use regular attacks?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does DQH2 have the same problem as the first one where the combat devolves into just cycling through characters and dumping their MP bar, rather than having a reason to use regular attacks?

Regular attacks are good for when miniboss/boss mobs get staggered as they deal double damage but for the most part, yes to the above.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors 9 is for PS4, Cheng Pu is finally getting in.

It sounds like they're focusing more on mobility. That grappling hook sounds like a fun idea.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Cheng Pu is finally getting in.

loving finally.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

lu kang when

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it updated twice with more deets

New information has leaked from Weekly Famitsu.

The latest entry in the Dynasty Warriors series uses an open-world format. The continent of China of the Three Kingdoms period is represented by a single, vast map.

By making the game open-world, capture methods are also powered up. Since you can roam the map freely, you can even circumvent castles and attack from high places. There is also an extreme variety of attack methods that tests the power of the player’s conception. Can you infiltrate the castle without the enemy noticing and take out your target?

Long distance attacks using bows will return. Any character can use a bow to attack.

Time and weather change in real-time. The enemy’s field of vision is poor during the night or when it’s raining, making it harder to be discovered.

Here’s an overview of the game flow: among the missions that appear all over the map, there are also “main missions.” By clearing main missions, history will greatly advance forward, but these missions have a high degree of difficulty. By clearing missions associated with main missions, you can lower the degree of difficulty.

“State Combo” is a new system that lets players react in different ways depending on the situation. The combo starts with a trigger attack, follows up with a flow of consecutive attacks that change based on the state of the enemy, and ends with a strong finish attack.

“Interactive Actions” are actions that change depending on the surrounding terrain and objects. You can use grappling hooks to climb up high mountains and walls. Or you can unleash attacks that use certain things on the spot.

Development is currently 40 percent complete.

Thanks, Hachima Kikou.

Update 8:35 a.m.: Here are some tidbits from Weekly Famitsu’s interview with producer Akihiro Suzuki and director Jun Miyauchi.

The main flow of the game will follow the history of the Records of the Three Kingdoms, just like previous games.
Battles aren’t broken up into stages, but various battles that correspond to the era will occur all over the land, which you will participate in.
For example, if we’re talking about the Yellow Turban Rebellion, you can fight with the Yellow Turbans in a place where Zhang Jue can be found. If you go to the south-east, you can hear gossip of Zhang Jue and company. When you defeat Zhang Jue, history will progress to the Campaign Against Dong Zhuo era, and whatever is occurring on the map at that time will change completely to match the new period.
Stories are being planned for each warlord, but since there are no branches that change history, the overall flow is the same.
The era and period that each warlord plays a role in are different. If you start with Zhao Yun, you can play the period in which he was active, but if you choose Wang Yuanji, you’ll play in an era set after the life of Zhao Yun.
The ability to switch between warlords is under consideration. Since the era changes so significantly depending on the characters you switch between, we would need to explain the background of the period. We’re currently looking for a solution.
It takes about five minutes to swim across the Yangtze River and Yellow River, since it’s a wide place. There are also ports that you can move to instantly.
Major cities such as Luoyang are smaller than they are in reality, but since one side is about one kilometer, it is an experience of considerable scale.
There are more than 10 cities. General-purpose cities and villages are also being prepared.
Movement is mainly by horse. Fast travel, which will allow you to instantly travel to places you have already visited, is also being prepared.
Urban areas will have buying and selling elements.
The warlords’ costumes are being updated. This time, we’re cutting back on the flashiness and aiming for something that more realistically matches that period.
There are various missions such as hunting wild animals with a bow and battles against different races with dedicated visuals.
Development seems to still have some way to go. I don’t think it will be released at least until it’s cold out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So are we going to have an army of our own or roam the land by ourselves and hook up with historical figures to kick rear end? Because Mount and Blade Musou should be a thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
dynasty warriors of the wild

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That sounds exciting.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
DW9: The Phantom Pain

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
:eyepop:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

DW9: The Phantom Pain

Yes yes yes YES YES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

marshmallow creep posted:

So are we going to have an army of our own or roam the land by ourselves and hook up with historical figures to kick rear end? Because Mount and Blade Musou should be a thing.

It is already. Or rather, some enterprising modders have attempted something like.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-dynasty-warriors

I found out about it via watching a playthrough of it.

Looking at what's mentioned, I wonder at who'll be playable, especially since they made sure to mention 'NO CHANGING HISTORY' and 'MUCH MORE REALISTIC COSTUMES(What happens to esoterics like Zhang Chunha or the Qiaos?). Which is both fair enough and problematic. I mean, there's not much you can do with Zhang Jue/Jiao, given he barely takes part in anything.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 9, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This stuff about moveset changing isn't really filling me with confidence, given the last time Koei advertised a big shakeup in movesets we ended up with Renbu. Hopefully Team Ninja is on hand to keep them from going too dumb with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xarbala posted:

This sounds like a dream I had

Me too, George Washington was like 15 feet tall and bashing dozens of redcoats aside with his cherry tree axe in an endless sea of brawling British and Colonials.

What I'm saying is Dynasty Warriors 1776 must happen.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I liked renbu so I don't have any issues.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds bonkers

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9 is for PS4, Cheng Pu is finally getting in.

It sounds like they're focusing more on mobility. That grappling hook sounds like a fun idea.

This sounds incredibly ambitious.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So does this mean that Lu Bu is going to chase you across all of China when he shows up?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I must admit, all this ambitious talk has made me really, really wary of the game. I've found Omega Force's stuff more miss than hit recently and the performance on the engine they use has gotten so bad, especially their 4K modes on PS4 Pro.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just hope FE Warriors is good.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I will forgive anything as long as they cast Miyuki Sawashiro in it now that's she with Aoni.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Largepotato posted:

I will forgive anything as long as they cast Miyuki Sawashiro in it now that's she with Aoni.

Cast her in anything and everything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Me too, George Washington was like 15 feet tall and bashing dozens of redcoats aside with his cherry tree axe in an endless sea of brawling British and Colonials.

What I'm saying is Dynasty Warriors 1776 must happen.

Koei made an American revolution strategy game for snes I think didn't they? There's precedent for this to happen

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

uiruki posted:

I must admit, all this ambitious talk has made me really, really wary of the game. I've found Omega Force's stuff more miss than hit recently and the performance on the engine they use has gotten so bad, especially their 4K modes on PS4 Pro.

I'm gonna disagree, I've enjoyed all the Omega Force games I've played recently a whole lot. I can't say that I've ever cared about framerates in Musou games though, since I mostly play the franchise on the Vita and even on the PS2/3 they've never really been silky smooth games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gundam 3 was 60 locked :(

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
When the framerate drops that just means you're being more awesome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's uhhhhh bullet time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015

Airspace posted:

This may not be exactly the same thing as you remember, but it is Romance with all the names replaced with... other Anglophone names. More bizarre names. Hyphenated names.