Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

quote:

my mom

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

:gonk: at that story.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder if he got that entire negotiating strategy from his mom. I learned years ago not to listen to job advice from baby boomers. They have no idea how things work now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Also you should xpost it into the negotiation thread as an object lesson in why you don't negotiate hard when your alternative is "I don't have a job".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Next, his mom will tell him to go to the office and refuse to leave until he has secured a job. The squeaky wheel.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good Parmesan posted:

Next, his mom will tell him to go to the office and refuse to leave until he has secured a job. The squeaky wheel.

here honey you can borrow your father's suit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder if he got that entire negotiating strategy from his mom. I learned years ago not to listen to job advice from baby boomers. They have no idea how things work now.

We had a lady in her 50's apply to be an Administrative Assistant to a major state-wide agency head.

She had 20+ years of secretary/admin experience, but she:

- Flat out told us that she wouldn't learn how to use Microsoft Outlook, she had tried before but it was just no use, and that she had good references despite that.
- That the world managed to get by without Microsoft for most of recorded history, so it wasn't a necessary skill to succeed.
- When asked how she would schedule events across the state and with different agencies, she said that she would do it by hand and then ask someone else to do it in Outlook.

She thought it was funny and completely crazy to expect someone "at my age" to know how Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint work.

She also showed up to the office, before she had filled out an application online, to request a meeting with her potential future boss to drop off a paper copy of her resume in person.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm selling a house right now, and my in-laws have been telling us to take the first lowball (under tax appraisal) offer, saying that we should be glad to get more than what we paid for the house out of it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She also showed up to the office, before she had filled out an application online, to request a meeting with her potential future boss to drop off a paper copy of her resume in person.

Yes, this is part of their standard "hit the pavement" strategy that also includes offering to do work for free until they see your value, asking about jobs when they aren't even hiring, and following up in-person after an interview.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yes, this is part of their standard "hit the pavement" strategy that also includes offering to do work for free until they see your value, asking about jobs when they aren't even hiring, and following up in-person after an interview.

Baby boomers! Soon they'll all be incapacitated and we'll be paying for their healthcare. It sure would be a shame if we just... didn't...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Baby boomers! Soon they'll all be incapacitated and we'll be paying for their healthcare. It sure would be a shame if we just... didn't...

OR, they'll stay in any managerial role until they die and all of our careers will be stunted until they finally gently caress off this mortal coil.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

Is Lularoe lululemon for poor people? I didn't say "dumb" people as lululemon is pretty dumb despite the high quality on some of their items.

Lululemon is an upscale athletic wear company owned by gap, like the banana republic of running clothes.

Lularoe is a pyramid scheme. It has all the common scams. Selling the product is a waste of time because it is overpriced. The success stories and testimonials are fake. It works by selling a starter set of 350 to 400 pieces of clothing for about $5000 with the idea that it will sell for $10000 or more based on the unrealistic notion that you can sell each legging for over 30. But most are sold for 20 or less. Very few people will even break even selling the clothes. But all of the incentives are to recruit more people to buy their own starter set. And now they are competing with you, and you can't return unsold merchandise. And now there are a lot of people who realized it is not worth their time and they are selling for less than it cost them, just to get back some of their money.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

It sounds like you dodged a bullet, but I think the real story here is that this snowflake was somehow the top choice. :sad:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

lampey posted:

Lululemon is an upscale athletic wear company owned by gap, like the banana republic of running clothes.

Lularoe is a pyramid scheme. It has all the common scams. Selling the product is a waste of time because it is overpriced. The success stories and testimonials are fake. It works by selling a starter set of 350 to 400 pieces of clothing for about $5000 with the idea that it will sell for $10000 or more based on the unrealistic notion that you can sell each legging for over 30. But most are sold for 20 or less. Very few people will even break even selling the clothes. But all of the incentives are to recruit more people to buy their own starter set. And now they are competing with you, and you can't return unsold merchandise. And now there are a lot of people who realized it is not worth their time and they are selling for less than it cost them, just to get back some of their money.

Lululemon isn't owned by Gap. Athleta is owned by Gap and specializes in similar clothing, but specifically for women.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
$35k is 135% of median salary? Are you in India?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cowofwar posted:

the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Asking about potential openings when a company isn't actively hiring (to your knowledge) is actually smart.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Asking about potential openings when a company isn't actively hiring (to your knowledge) is actually smart.

"Does it say the opening on the website? No? Then why are you bothering me about it rear end in a top hat"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cowofwar posted:

It's Gary, Indiana. It's OK though they're easy to get mixed up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep! My company does an internal rotation, where you'll find a new role every 18-36 months and you have to apply and interview for it and whatever.

Talking to hiring managers about what's going to be coming open soon is a smart thing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

"Does it say the opening on the website? No? Then why are you bothering me about it rear end in a top hat"

That's the worst case scenario. But it's also possible that you will be on the top of the stack for a hiring process that hasn't yet started, or that they are keeping their eyes open for talent even though they don't have a formal opening. In some industries, positions aren't always listed and are otherwise filled by recruiters, but there's really no industry where asking about potential openings is going to hurt you.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Papa John Misty posted:

the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

it's probably like a gs-04 or something lovely.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I actually did this when I was fresh out of college nearly a decade ago, and the best I ever got was "We really appreciate that you took the time to come in and talk with us, but we just post them online. You should check there." Places with openings still referred me to the website.

I'm sure it works sometimes (especially in the context of networking) but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about "If you need a job, you just need to walk in and show them you're serious," which is just not how it works anymore in 99% of cases.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lampey posted:

Yeah and you can't even choose what patterns they send you, so if there's a craze for a certain pattern and you don't have it, you're poo poo out of luck.

Vox Nihili posted:

That's the worst case scenario. But it's also possible that you will be on the top of the stack for a hiring process that hasn't yet started, or that they are keeping their eyes open for talent even though they don't have a formal opening. In some industries, positions aren't always listed and are otherwise filled by recruiters, but there's really no industry where asking about potential openings is going to hurt you.
There's a massive difference between mid/late career job hunting and entry level jobhunting, and forgetting that is one of the things that makes advice from boomers (or any comfortable, well-established person, really) so frustrating. If you have a network and a long resume, quietly letting people know you're looking can lead to opportunities, yes. Trying that for a job where workers are replaceable cogs will just briefly annoy the hiring manager, who will long have forgotten you by the time they are hiring. Unless you're so annoying they blacklist you, which I've personally seen many hiring managers do for offenses like calling about a job or showing up in person with a resume. The rules change with context.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
No one gets blacklisted by politely asking about openings, that's insane. Goons are so goddamn terrified of human interaction.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone who blacklists you for asking once is going to be unpleasant to work with anyway.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

lampey posted:

You're thinking of Athleta. Lululemon is a publicly traded Canadian company.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I had someone pull a really awkward BWM power move during the hiring process yesterday.

- This guy got the job
- We made him the official offer with the same salary posted on the job posting
- This is a government job, so legally we can't pay him much more than we offered (we could have paid him a little bit more, but they always leave room for cost of living raises so that they don't need to deny people raises or reclassify them)
- He knew the salary going in. (it was about $35,000 a year; the cap for his title is about $39,000 per year)

He said that he had to "politely decline the offer because I need at least $50,00 a year."

Our HR person told him that they legally can't pay him that much and the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

He said, "My mom always told me to know your worth. I know my value and I know my skill set. I'm afraid that I am going to have to decline. I appreciate your time. You can get in touch with me if you change your mind. Thank you."

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

Ugh...that just happened to me (we can talk about ourselves if it's a bad thing right?). I was offered a job at the low end of the scale, I countered with the higher end (still within the range for the job). They said they'd check and call me back the next day. Never heard back from them again.

That was literally the first time I've ever countered a salary offer and honestly, probably the last time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ugh...that just happened to me (we can talk about ourselves if it's a bad thing right?). I was offered a job at the low end of the scale, I countered with the higher end (still within the range for the job). They said they'd check and call me back the next day. Never heard back from them again.

That was literally the first time I've ever countered a salary offer and honestly, probably the last time.

poo poo, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Did you try calling them back?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Better question: Would you be happy working at the lower end of the scale?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Sounds like a lovely company tbh. If they couldn't do the raise they should have come back with maybe some other incentive, or at least a reason why they can't do it. Countering is just part of the process and even if they can't provide a raise it shouldn't be a deathblow to your chances.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Sounds like a lovely company tbh. If they couldn't do the raise they should have come back with maybe some other incentive, or at least a reason why they can't do it. Countering is just part of the process and even if they can't provide a raise it shouldn't be a deathblow to your chances.

The reason they couldn't do it was probably they hired somebody else at their offered salary

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There were warning signs. It was a small company (8 people), benefit details were spotty, the guy who owned the company didn't follow normal pay raise schedules and oh, he'd read everyone's email regularly.

Obviously they tried to spin the irregular pay adjustments as a positive. "Get hired cheap now and you could be making so much more in one year!" I'm too old to fall for that poo poo. Still, I would've taken the job as a placeholder at least.

One odd thing, it was a technology company, but they didn't start health insurance for six months. Is that weird to anyone else? Maybe I've worked for big corporations too long, but I haven't had to wait that long for benefits since...never. Some stuff took 6 months, like access to the 401k - but never health insurance. So yeah, lots of warning signs.

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh yeah. Even left a message. They probably replayed that voicemail over and over again for its comedy value. I felt like that 28 year old momma's boy in Leon's post.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Make sure to mention that you mom advised you to make the counter-offer and you won't listen to her again.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

No one gets blacklisted by politely asking about openings, that's insane. Goons are so goddamn terrified of human interaction.

You get blacklisted for not following instructions and being unaware of professional norms.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone who blacklists you for asking once is going to be unpleasant to work with anyway.

This is true. But sometimes you don't have the option not to work somewhere unpleasant.

Explaining Context to Goons vol. #893750

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

monster on a stick posted:

Make sure to mention that you mom advised you to make the counter-offer and you won't listen to her again.

And make sure to make two counter-offers that are above the salary they are allowed to legally pay you as a public employee.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I will never work for a company that doesn't start health insurance immediately.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

There were warning signs. It was a small company (8 people), benefit details were spotty, the guy who owned the company didn't follow normal pay raise schedules and oh, he'd read everyone's email regularly.

Obviously they tried to spin the irregular pay adjustments as a positive. "Get hired cheap now and you could be making so much more in one year!" I'm too old to fall for that poo poo. Still, I would've taken the job as a placeholder at least.

One odd thing, it was a technology company, but they didn't start health insurance for six months. Is that weird to anyone else? Maybe I've worked for big corporations too long, but I haven't had to wait that long for benefits since...never. Some stuff took 6 months, like access to the 401k - but never health insurance. So yeah, lots of warning signs.

Oh yeah. Even left a message. They probably replayed that voicemail over and over again for its comedy value. I felt like that 28 year old momma's boy in Leon's post.

Health benefits at companies with less than 50 employees can still be extremely spotty, as they aren't covered by the Affordable Care Act's employer mandate (who knows how long that will be around, but it's presently the law).

I doubt they were laughing at you. Most likely they saw an opportunity to pick someone with commensurate skills for less than what you wanted and simply went with that. At that point they should have politely informed you that they had gone with someone else, but it's also common for employers to just cut contact and ignore you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

I guess I could have provided context - Canada is in a speculative real estate bubble fueled by easy credit and chickenshit politicians who can't threaten their voter base's ~house values~. Toronto specifically is up something stupid like 30% y/y, so the 'buy now or never' mantra means people are getting into bidding wars over rat traps with no conditions. It's to the point where real estate is the largest contributor to GDP before even counting in related industries like construction and finance. A lot of discretionary spending comes from paper gain HELOCs.

This dude is experiencing buyer's regret after doing the rough equivalent of buying a pre-fab condo on an interest only NINJA loan in Miami circa Q3 2006, but in a recourse-mortgage area. Between taxes, interest, penalties, fees, etc the dude will likely be out maybe 100k between the emotional buy and emotional sell. If he's lucky a greater fool will come along to bail him out and mitigate his losses, if he's not then lol.

e. pricing it out because why not - lost costs would be 3% CMHC fee (25.5k), 5% realtor fee (42.5k), a few months interest as a mortgage breaking penalty (5-10k depending on lender if he can sell it before rates rise next month), land transfer fees (26k between provincial and municipal up front, though some will be rebatable as a first time buyer). Dude needs to sell now for +100k to break even, ignoring property taxes/insurance/maintenance.

I wasn't aware the Canadian bubble was this bad. Very interesting stuff. I still don't get what changed so suddenly between buying the house and whenever the dude decided he wanted out.