Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really want to see the Xbox One fail and Microsoft close their Xbox offices, just to see all the think pieces bout how that's bad news for Nintendo

The XBone's already failed, because Microsoft's nudging all their new games over to Windows 10. The Scorpio really feels like a last-ditch attempt to float their console division with a higher spec and price-point than the competitors in the hopes it'll win them a market share. Unfortunately the writing's been on the wall for the past year with how well they've been courting third-party developers (nevermind pulling the plug on their only real upcoming exclusive, quality issues aside), so there's a pretty reasonable chance of the Scorpio just being a lemon from day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

With Forza on PC I have zero reason to own a xbox now.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Here's the ranking.

1) DKC3: Dixie's Double Trouble
2) DKCR: Tropical Freeze
3) DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest
4) DKCR
5) DKC
6) DKL
7) DKL3
8) DK64
9) DKL2
10) DK King of Swing
11) DK The other one that was on DS, or the other one that was on GBA? The King of Swing sequel or prequel

I never played the bongo one, can't rank. I'd honestly recommend any of 1 - 8

Find some time to play the bongo one, it's really good

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't wait for Mister Chief and Big Butts of War to be PS5 timed exclusives and Viva Pinata 3 exclusively on the Switch.

Xbox retire bitch

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm gonna play NBA playgrounds today

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm gonna play NBA playgrounds today

I'm going to play NBA JAM some time soon because it's still the best sports game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm going to play NBA JAM some time soon because it's still the best sports game.

Tecmo Bowl is up there.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The XBone has had a rough go of it, for sure, but it's worth remembering that it still moved twice as many units as the Wii U so far (26 million XBones out there as of Jan 1st) with the potential to end up comfortably in the 40-50 million unit range. It's a massive contraction from the 360, but there's no rule that being in 2nd means you're losing money.

Also, Microsoft blew literally billions of dollars on the original XBox as a bottomless money void. If Microsoft wants to prop up a division, it knows how to do it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Also, Microsoft blew literally billions of dollars on the original XBox as a bottomless money void. If Microsoft wants to prop up a division, it knows how to do it.

Except for the multi-failure that is windows phone / nokia. I don't know why they think xbox is more important than a phone ecosystem, but here we are.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

Patter Song posted:

The XBone has had a rough go of it, for sure, but it's worth remembering that it still moved twice as many units as the Wii U so far (26 million XBones out there as of Jan 1st) with the potential to end up comfortably in the 40-50 million unit range. It's a massive contraction from the 360, but there's no rule that being in 2nd means you're losing money.

The scuttlebutt is that Satya Nadella isn't really fond of the division.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Scorpio working or not will come down to the exclusive games. All the power will mean jack poo poo if there is nothing worthwhile to play on it. No one outside of hardcore Xbox fans gives a poo poo about the same old Forza, Halo and Gears of War. The quality of those games has gone way down (well ok, maybe not Forza, but a driving simulator is sort of different) as they just do the same things over and over and over again with the original creators long gone. I say this as someone who loved each of those franchises at a time and owned an Xbox/360/Xbone. I have zero plans to purchase a Scorpio. I'm quite happy sticking with my Nintendo/Sony combo.

People like to discuss how important it is for Nintendo to develop new IPs but Microsoft Games is going to be dead soon if they do not have anything new and good in the pipeline to excite people. The company isn't the same "write a blank check just because" anymore.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Dan Mattrick is the video game company equivalent of Ebola. I to this day will never understand how he rose to the head of Xbox and then head of Zynga. The man has no idea what makes his customers tick and has 0 charisma.

The Switch is cool though. I wish I could freeball the joycons but my left one doesn't like being held and I can't get it fixed until the summer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patter Song posted:

Weren't they only willing to throw billions of dollars at the first Xbox because Steve Balmer or somebody was really passionat about it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
I think yesterday is the first day since March 3rd I did not play my Switch. Probably because I discovered videogamedunkey and was finally playing through Phoenix Weight Spirit of Justice

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

parallelodad posted:

The scuttlebutt is that Satya Nadella isn't really fond of the division.

Worst come to worst for Microsoft, "XBox" will become a line of Microsoft-produced gaming PCs running Windows 10 and DirectX12 with dedicated controllers. The brand is too valuable to abandon.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Zelder posted:

Find some time to play the bongo one, it's really good

Also get the GC version and some actual bongos the Wii version doesn't measure up

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Holy crap. According to Forbes in 2014 the Xbox division was $3,000,000,000 deep in the red because of the money pit first box, the cost of production and the huge fiasco with like 50% of 360s crashing horribly and needing replacement, and the Xbone added another $400,000,000 to that before even launching with each ond selling at a loss.

I wish I had the job security of the dude in charge of this shitshow.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just bought MK8 from Amazon finally. I hope buying physical doesn't kill a tree in the rainforest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Xbox Live makes a poo poo ton of money though, I think it might count towards a different division.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Gimme the NBA Playgrounds verdict.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

^ Yeah, what he said.

Has anyone downloaded NBA Playgrounds yet?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

parallelodad posted:

Xbox Live makes a poo poo ton of money though, I think it might count towards a different division.

I have to assume that Microsoft has a team of people whose only job is to sit in a room and try to figure out how to get people to pay for Xbox Live on the PC

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Here's this week's eShop drop for Switch.

ACA NeoGeo Garou: Mark of the Wolves | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical | PAL | £ ? / € ?
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £ ? / € ?
NBA Playgrounds | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £17.99 / €19.99 (May 9)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

To be fair the original dkc look is pretty ugly.

Nah it's good as hell actually. Feels really grody and lived in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have to assume that Microsoft has a team of people whose only job is to sit in a room and try to figure out how to get people to pay for Xbox Live on the PC

All of them with near-fatal alcohol abuse, because they know the C-levels won't take no for an answer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation

Tender Bender posted:

Nah it's good as hell actually. Feels really grody and lived in.

This brings me to my long held belief that the Donkey Kong Country Returns series is actually prequels.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Their solution to nobody using the Microsoft Store is to release a cheaper version of Windows 10 that can only run programs from the Store. If that somehow works out well for them I could easily see Microsoft forcing Live on to their new captive audience.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Meridian posted:

Are people still seeing issues with slowdown on the Isaac switch port?

Any instances of slowdown that I've had have been related to lighting or particle effects, e.g. multiple Brimstone in a Curse of Darkness floor, Toxic Shock's cloud effect. Weird that No. 2's cloudy bomb effect doesn't do the same, but slowdown is pretty rare. I've played for probably 200 hours by now and I wouldn't call it troublesome. I've abandoned one run so far because Toxic Shock made it so bad. Otherwise, gently caress it, bullets are easier to dodge at 10FPS.

Considering the daily challenge leaderboard still crashes the game and it's been nearly 2 months, I'm not counting on a patch anytime soon, but it's overdue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hungry Computer posted:

Their solution to nobody using the Microsoft Store is to release a cheaper version of Windows 10 that can only run programs from the Store. If that somehow works out well for them I could easily see Microsoft forcing Live on to their new captive audience.

They're quite likely going to cop another lawsuit for that one, which will really piss them off.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Patter Song posted:

This was when the endgame was to make an ultimate Home Computer Entertainment Machine, basically the culmination of the PC/entertainment center that would sit in everyone's household and serve all their device needs. Microsoft felt it was worth dumping a ton of cash to grab that market instead of letting Sony take it all. Then smartphones blew up that entire idea since everyone's life revolves around those now, and small devices like Roku and poo poo further gobbled up living room functionality. Sony seems pretty OK continuing to make game stuff just on its own merits, but Microsoft doesn't seem to have come to terms with that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

enojy posted:

Considering the daily challenge leaderboard still crashes the game and it's been nearly 2 months, I'm not counting on a patch anytime soon, but it's overdue.

That's pretty much par for the course for Nicalis isn't it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Buy Valve. Take Steam, rename it Meam. Print money.

Microsoft hire me right now.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really want to see the Xbox One fail and Microsoft close their Xbox offices, just to see all the think pieces bout how that's bad news for Nintendo

As long as they still release/support that Phantom Dust remaster I'll be happy with Microsoft.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

This was when the endgame was to make an ultimate Home Computer Entertainment Machine, basically the culmination of the PC/entertainment center that would sit in everyone's household and serve all their device needs. Microsoft felt it was worth dumping a ton of cash to grab that market instead of letting Sony take it all. Then smartphones blew up that entire idea since everyone's life revolves around those now, and small devices like Roku and poo poo further gobbled up living room functionality. Sony seems pretty OK continuing to make game stuff just on its own merits, but Microsoft doesn't seem to have come to terms with that.

Woah, hey there. Don't you remember the exciting thrill of Microsoft SmartGlass at e3?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

parallelodad posted:

This brings me to my long held belief that the Donkey Kong Country Returns series is actually prequels.

This actually makes a lot of sense, the Great Ape Wars certainly seem to have been a recent event in Tropical Freeze, whereas there's no trace of them in the original trilogy. One of the key questions is whether the Kremlings appropriated the factory after the Tikis built it, or vice versa. It seems to be built for very specific banana-mashing and tiki-forming functions in DKCR, whereas the Kremlings are just kind of chilling in there, so I think we can assume the Tikis built the factory and thus you're correct, the Returns games are chronologically first.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm loving Microsoft's tactic of making trailers for games that haven't started development.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

$500 Scorpion is only going to convince more to buy a $300 Switch.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Again the best way to homebrewed gaming ambrosia is to own a gaming PC and a Nintendo console.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Now I'm just thinking about DKC Returns and how good that game is. Tropical Freeze gets all the love for being more recent, dropping the waggle, and having David Wise, but Returns has great level design and might be a better game overall. Some of those single-level-gimmicks (like the rolling egg that gets less surface area as it keeps breaking) are really clever. The enemy design sucks though, it's still not great in TF but the tikis are really boring.

Basically don't forget about Donkey Kong Country Returns, buy it if you haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
The Xbox is doomed is the new Nintendo is doomed

• Locked thread