Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Passing yards is a garbage stat.

It really isn't but to be fair, Eli has been a below-average QB for like half of the years he has been in the league so he is a bad example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Slowpoke! posted:

It really isn't but to be fair, Eli has been a below-average QB for like half of the years he has been in the league so he is a bad example.

Yet he's going to the hall of fame and Rivers won't and I'll be really salty about it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
By will be, I mean "already am"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rivers owned. There I said it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's hilarious that the Texans didn't even talk to Cutler. Tom Savage, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Mallet, Weeden, and Oswelier sure let's give them a chance. But that drat Cutler just isn't even worth a conversation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They might have thought his personality wasn't worth it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What, you wouldn't want Jay Cutler to mentor your rookie first round pick qb?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Yet he's going to the hall of fame and Rivers won't and I'll be really salty about it

eli

was

right

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

euphronius posted:

They might have thought his personality wasn't worth it.

Only high character guys like Ryan Mallet

Really high

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
*Adagio for Strings plays in the background*

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Volkerball posted:

I'd rather have the coaching staff do that. Why would anyone want to teach someone how to take their job?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
wrong thread

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

purkey posted:

I'd rather have the coaching staff do that. Why would anyone want to teach someone how to take their job?

How does your company work when you call in sick?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Chichevache posted:

How does your company work when you call in sick?

Terribly, because I make a point of teaching people only a limited amount of what I do. Why would I want my job to think they can function without me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sataere posted:

Terribly, because I make a point of teaching people only a limited amount of what I do. Why would I want my job to think they can function without me.

Sounds like they'd function better with someone not you doing your job.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lol at the idea that Jay Cutler cares about being a starting QB. You could drop a baby on its head in front of Jay and he'd just keep smoking his cigarette.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sataere posted:

You're replaceable.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sataere posted:

If you are that irreplaceable, then there is no reason to promote you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Volkerball posted:

I'd rather have Cutler then Glennon.

The most important part of learning the position is playing time and practice snaps. Cutler? You know what he is, you know everything about him, you can let him take most of the preseason off and still get what you're gonna get from him.

Glennon wants this loving job and needs every snap he can get as well, and John Fox knows that if he doesn't win this year, he's going to be fired, so why would he want to groom the next coach's QB instead of playing the guy he thinks he can win something with?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I can promise you John Fox does not give a poo poo Trubisky is on the team.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diqnol posted:

You're replaceable.

Of course I am. Everyone is. Some people are just more replaceable than others. My point is that there is bargaining power in being the only person who knows how to do certain things at your job.

Volkerball posted:

Sounds like they'd function better with someone not you doing your job.

History would prove you wrong. My job turns over half it's staff a year in a building of a few hundred people. It's not an easy job and I constantly come in on days off, including vacation time to make sure things are running smoothly.

Is this really such a strange concept to SA? It's one of the few lessons my dad gave that stuck. There are a lot of shady employers that'll screw you over. Developing a knowledge base and setting things up where only you know certain things is a way of protecting yourself.

Holding back knowledge isn't a weapon, but a shield. I work hard and try to constantly innovate to make other peoples lives easier within my job.

swickles posted:

If you are that irreplaceable, then there is no reason to promote you.

I think if you are replaceable, it is equally unlikely you get promoted. Like I said, I am not irreplaceable. Also, not getting any promotions. :v:

I do find it odd how some jobs don't want to give people more opportunities to grow within their jobs when they prove themselves exceptional at mundane tasks.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
As a manager that was new to the branch, I had several people that had positioned themselves in that way and when they left I found myself scrambling to replace them. I have aggressively cross trained my branch to the point if any one or two people leave it is at worst a temporary setback while I hire a replacement

Nov 6, 2002

And not having people who can cover for you on sick days or vacation is the worst. My wife left her current position recently at DHS because of this very problem. Constantly getting screwed out of vacation time is no fun.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Being way underpaid is also a good way to protect your job, I have found.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
lol if you're so bad at your job that you have to 'hold information back' to protect yourself

Nov 6, 2002

That is like a strategy right out of a Dilbert comic. Sataere is your real name Wally by any chance?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
At the same time, lol if you expect any loyalty from an employer in tyool 2017

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol if you're so bad at your job that you have to 'hold information back' to protect yourself

This is where I'm at. I won't be replaced because I'm too good at my job. If you're in over your head, maybe find a new line of work.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

And not having people who can cover for you on sick days or vacation is the worst. My wife left her current position recently at DHS because of this very problem. Constantly getting screwed out of vacation time is no fun.

Seriously this. Not being able to leave your work phone and laptop behind on a vacation or day off or having people calling you on your days off are the absolute worst. I'm of the mindset to enable as many people as I can so I don't have to do poo poo, but that's me :shrug:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

At the same time, lol if you expect any loyalty from an employer in tyool 2017

Time to drop some knowledge on you fools. If you feel the need to hold back on teachings then you either a) work for a poo poo employer and need to leave, or b) have been scarred in the past and don't know how to be a good leader

The whole "protect your job" is an ancient approach which only brings about minimal benefits (specifically for yourself). You're better off elevating your team/department/company as a whole and use that to negotiate why you deserve to be an even bigger "influencer" on the company.

Additionally, collaboration makes for a good team environment, and everyone thrives when they're succeeding. It would reflect really well upon you.

What you're doing is contributing to, or creating, an environment of secrecy and betrayal. If you are withholding teachings to those under you then you are literally betraying them since one of your responsibilities is their development.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If only you know how to do certain things, your employer will willfully ignore that fact when firing you, and then deal with the consequences later. Instead of regretting firing you, they'll be angry with that rear end in a top hat they fired for doing all this custom poo poo and not documenting it or telling anyone.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I feel like you guys are only hearing part of what I am saying. I'm not deliberately holding back information for what I can do. But I am also not going out of my way train people in what i do. There is a distinction.

Flikken posted:

As a manager that was new to the branch, I had several people that had positioned themselves in that way and when they left I found myself scrambling to replace them. I have aggressively cross trained my branch to the point if any one or two people leave it is at worst a temporary setback while I hire a replacement

I agree with this and have actually advocated cross-training within this job. I think building an infrastructure that allows for multiple people to be able to know multiple things in a department is important. But there is an investment of time and money that our management is not interested in paying.

I'm not a fan of being called in when I am off, but part of my responsibilities require me to be on call when I am out of the office. :shrug:

And honestly, I don't like people doing my work. It's never done to my standards, because people seem to prefer to do the bare minimum.

I'm also not saying I don't leave instructions for people. I try to leave detailed instructions for what people might encounter when I am gone. It never actually helps.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I've been at my job 11 years and my bosses love me. I make a point of showing them the numbers with my job in comparison to the rest of my department, so they can see just how much more I do.

These two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I'm not actually worried about being replaced. I just don't volunteer information that I don't have to.

Being good at your job doesn't equal job security. Plenty of competent people get fired for reasons not relating to how they perform at their task. Office politics, trying to cut down on the salary of someone with experience by bringing in an entry level position, changes in management and corporate structures are all things that could cost you your job, while having nothing to do with your performance.

That is like a strategy right out of a Dilbert comic. Sataere is your real name Wally by any chance?

It is not. Why do you ask?

And maybe it is silly, but I know quite a few people in jobs that are in management and executive positions who hold to that belief. Guys who are intelligent and hard working. I've also known people who have ended up training their replacement.

I don't know if I am just not explaining myself well here. If people always acted rationally and bosses made decisions based on merit, maybe I would have a different point of view.

Or maybe my dad just instilled in me an unhealthy paranoia of managers. Goodness knows he's had done bad ones and anyone who ever met him considers him the most competent person they've ever met.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah seriously. Help out everyone you can. Preferably in Email or otherwise documentable form.

Document every goddamn thing you do that looks good, save them in a folder for promotions or if you want anecdotes for another job if you are going external.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Sataere posted:

I've been at my job 11 years and my bosses love me. I make a point of showing them the numbers with my job in comparison to the rest of my department, so they can see just how much more I do.

Oh you are THAT guy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just noticed this isn't the chat thread, lol

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Sataere posted:

I feel like you guys are only hearing part of what I am saying. I'm not deliberately holding back information for what I can do. But I am also not going out of my way train people in what i do. There is a distinction.

Going out of your way to train coworkers sounds like a great way to show your worth at a company, boost the whole team's productivity, and advance up the ladder. Why would it get you fired/laid off??

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

I just noticed this isn't the chat thread, lol

Sataere got fired from there.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I think my cross training has helped with both morale and retention. That and I use extra hours as an incentive/reward to those that work hard. This has also kept my overtime low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

never stay at a job 11 years you'll wind up being grossly underpaid hth

• Locked thread