Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'd preffer Peter just letting it go and them settling on "love as family" but if they need to hook up yea, just get it out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Abalone Malone posted:

Drax's impressed response to Ego saying that his self created Penis "wasn't too bad" was great.
Batista was excellent in this movie.

I didn't expect Batista to turn out to be a decent actor, much less this great in a comedic role. He's not The Rock, but in terms of WWE performers-turned-actors he's kinda killing it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm glad the chaotic movie production, among other things apparently the funeral pyre scene wasn't as colorful until a week before the delivery date, eventually put out a really colorful movie, but overall felt it was kinda hollow and weirdly cynical at times; The funnest scene was also one about murdering a whole lot bunch of goons, which is a bit tone deaf, but whatever
Batista was a highlight, he's pretty funny and more charismatic than I ever gave him credit for.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Serf posted:

I didn't expect Batista to turn out to be a decent actor, much less this great in a comedic role. He's not The Rock, but in terms of WWE performers-turned-actors he's kinda killing it.

i wouldn't have thought a man once known primarily for "can you smell what The Rock is cooking" to be capable of comedy, much less be good at it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

IIRC, he studied intensively and took a bunch of acting classes to get the part in the first place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Man fingers crossed, that dancing around it poo poo ain't as cute as they think it is, especially when there's absolutely no reason for it.

There is. Sex is uncomfortable and disruptive in the movie's universe, and it threatens all life in the galaxy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is. Sex is uncomfortable and disruptive in the movie's universe, and it threatens all life in the galaxy.

Hmmm?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

One thing I'm not sure I got - did Peter and Gamora hook up at the end or not?

It's some unspoken thing.

No.

My favorite part of seeing the movie, especially the second time, is seeing how many kids are in the audience. There's a lot of conversations and jokes directly about penises and conception, and I think it's funny that parents have to have The Talk with their kids over a James Gunn Disney-Marvel space opera.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hodgepodge posted:

i wouldn't have thought a man once known primarily for "can you smell what The Rock is cooking" to be capable of comedy, much less be good at it

Says a person who never watched wrestling

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

The Rock was always funny tho

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is "the talk" still a thing? Kids have internet and tablets now, they already know about dick jokes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Abalone Malone posted:

Drax's impressed response to Ego saying that his self created Penis "wasn't too bad" was great.
Batista was excellent in this movie.
I'd like to think this is a joke about how everytime a wrestler (especially a Ex-WWE guy/gal) is interviewed in a shoot the question of how big his dick is inevitably brought up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Is "the talk" still a thing? Kids have internet and tablets now, they already know about dick jokes.

Just because it happens earlier doesn't mean it isn't a thing. It most certainly does, much to every parent and school's chagrin.

edit: I knew a girl in 10th grade who thought babies came from belly buttons and you were impregnated with a kiss. She had a hosed up day at school when everyone found that out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The villain's plan is to impregnate women while metaphorically impregnating planets.

Ego wanting to gently caress planets is a well-established part of his character:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That panel's dialogue is... yeesh.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

but basically no physical intimacy is permitted onscreen

This got me thinking about how in the star wars prequels there was a million scenes of people doing little waves and stuff at each other because the cgi made it so no one could touch each other in most scenes. That isn't what happened in this movie but it did make me think of something else.

That made me think of something this movie did really well. Mantis and her instagram filter eyes probably were way harder to film at any sort of angle and instead of that ruining scenes they managed to make one of the absolute best scenes in the entire movie a scene of her and drax staring straight ahead and not looking at eachother and making that feel natural for the scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This got me thinking about how in the star wars prequels there was a million scenes of people doing little waves and stuff at each other because the cgi made it so no one could touch each other in most scenes. That isn't what happened in this movie but it did make me think of something else.

That made me think of something this movie did really well. Mantis and her instagram filter eyes probably were way harder to film at any sort of angle and instead of that ruining scenes they managed to make one of the absolute best scenes in the entire movie a scene of her and drax staring straight ahead and not looking at eachother and making that feel natural for the scene.

Mantis's eyes were contacts.

edit: Pom and her stunt double, both with the contacts in:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 9, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Mantis's eyes were contacts.

Ah yes, that scene she had all the little dots on her face.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ah yes, that scene she had all the little dots on her face.

:psyduck: What the hell? Those are mo-cap dots and she's in front of a blue screen. It's obviously before they added any effects. It would be silly to show you a scene from the movie to show you they were real contacts; I showed you behind-the-scenes pics and then a comparison pic. If you're joking, it's a bad joke.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 9, 2017

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not sure that works, for a couple of reasons; to start off with the other big antagonists of the film are all about not having sex. And when at the end they double-down on the whole "Kill those jerks" bit, it's through a further exultation of non-sex procreation. Back on the main plot, if sex and procreation are bad, then the revelation of Ego's killing of all his kids wouldn't be portrayed as as much of a horrifying act that it is.

It's more reasonable to point this all towards the various family-related film thoughts. Sex isn't portrayed as bad, it's treating family, whether that's biological or not, badly that's the driving force here, especially so as to satisfy one's own desires. Ego having huge amounts of kids isn't bad; Ego having huge amounts of kids and then killing them to further himself is bad. It's the abandonment, even destruction, of family and family ties that threatens the galaxy. Think too of the point on which the movie turns; it's not Ego revealing he's Quill's father, or revealing he had lots of kids, it's Ego revealing that he killed Quill's mother rather than risk that tie preventing him from his ultimate goal. And the Big Cave of Dead Kids just before that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

More people died in Quinns missouri hometown from Ego than died in the entire battle of New York in Avengers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Barudak posted:

More people died in Quinns missouri hometown from Ego than died in the entire battle of New York in Avengers.

Tony's on his way to make Quill register or else he gets the Shoe. That's how the Guardians enter Avengers' plot

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tony and Drax together should be amaaaaaazing.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'm not sure that works, for a couple of reasons; to start off with the other big antagonists of the film are all about not having sex. And when at the end they double-down on the whole "Kill those jerks" bit, it's through a further exultation of non-sex procreation. Back on the main plot, if sex and procreation are bad, then the revelation of Ego's killing of all his kids wouldn't be portrayed as as much of a horrifying act that it is.

It's more reasonable to point this all towards the various family-related film thoughts. Sex isn't portrayed as bad, it's treating family, whether that's biological or not, badly that's the driving force here, especially so as to satisfy one's own desires. Ego having huge amounts of kids isn't bad; Ego having huge amounts of kids and then killing them to further himself is bad. It's the abandonment, even destruction, of family and family ties that threatens the galaxy. Think too of the point on which the movie turns; it's not Ego revealing he's Quill's father, or revealing he had lots of kids, it's Ego revealing that he killed Quill's mother rather than risk that tie preventing him from his ultimate goal. And the Big Cave of Dead Kids just before that.
In addition to that, Ego's reproduction - the bad kind - is explicitly asexual. It's just him, spreading copies of himself across the universe, in an inherently selfish form of reproduction. Sex, and sexual reproduction, by their nature involve someone else; it's that, along with love, that creates someone like Peter, who can have personal connections and a family and all those good things. Ego's method just makes gross blue blobs.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the MCU's relative sexlessness aside, I don't get the claim that GotG2 is anti-sex. Ego's plan is to asexually spread across the universe. In contrast, Ego's child by sexual reproduction is the hero of the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This is where you need to grab the subtext by the balls and notice what is the source of fear is - it's the father's promiscuity. He has other children and families. The irony is this is that despite the big statement about how it's okay to be special, the movie embraces the fear of not being special. It certainly misses out on the potential for Chronos-like horror with it's really token mountain-of-bones imagery.

It makes one yearn for the more interesting Oedipal struggles of Ang Lee's Hulk.

Lord Hydronium posted:

In addition to that, Ego's reproduction - the bad kind - is explicitly asexual. It's just him, spreading copies of himself across the universe, in an inherently selfish form of reproduction. Sex, and sexual reproduction, by their nature involve someone else; it's that, along with love, that creates someone like Peter, who can have personal connections and a family and all those good things. Ego's method just makes gross blue blobs.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, the MCU's relative sexlessness aside, I don't get the claim that GotG2 is anti-sex. Ego's plan is to asexually spread across the universe. In contrast, Ego's child by sexual reproduction is the hero of the movie.

Well, it's really more of the movie mixing metaphors and robbing them of their power. Ego ias to be both a narcissistic father and an invasive species, which ends up neutering (har) the horror of his character. Marvel Adventures Ego is at least consistent and wants to gently caress the Earth because he's a parody of a player.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 9, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Specifically, the only child fathered out of some form of affection/love instead of just reproduction.

It's hard to say the MCU is sexless when it's first hero was lecherous playboy Iron Man, who's first interest in returning to the US is getting a burger, holding a press conference and then trying to find someone to gently caress. The majority sure is, but a popular and heavily prevalent aspect to Iron Man is that he's hosed almost every girl he's met.

This is where you need to grab the subtext by the balls and notice what is the source of fear is - it's the father's promiscuity. He has other children and families. The irony is this is that despite the big statement about how it's okay to be special, the movie embraces the fear of not being special. It certainly misses out on the potential for Chronos-like horror with it's really token mountain-of-bones imagery.

Ego's fear is not his promiscuity. His fear is that he's always been alone and can't relate to anyone without manipulating them. He can't make genuine connections. He's not afraid because he's hosed a bunch of species and had children, he killed them because they didn't fit an ideal "perfect child", someone/something that he could fully relate to. He killed the other children simply because he couldn't relate, they weren't "like him". He didn't say 'Oh no, I've hosed a lot, that's scary." He killed them because they didn't reflect himself enough. He can only relate to himself, so for them to be too foreign from him is what drives his 'fear', and partially the fear of failure, because he thinks he's a god, a perfect species in and of himself.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

It's hard to say the MCU is sexless when it's first hero was lecherous playbo Iron Man, who's first interest in returning to the US is getting a burger, holding a press conference and then trying to find someone to gently caress. The majority sure is, but a popular and heavily prevalent aspect to Iron Man is that he's hosed almost every girl he's met.

It's basically like how an adolescent or young teen who's aware of sex might talk dirty with friends, but has no idea what actual physical love or intimacy is going to be.

I think this screencap serves as a metaphor for at least GotG's stance on sex:

Franchescanado posted:

Ego's fear is not his promiscuity.

You've misread that - I was talking about what horror Ego represents to audiences. And he's a fairly confused character, so the fear of the father-as-philanderer has to share ground with fear of the father-as-abuser, fear of the father-as-exploiter, and fear of the father-as-Chronos-devouring-his-children.

And as a narcissistic character he's an ineffective one, since there's none of that intimate intensity that would bring with it. Comic book movies have done it before, in 2003's Hulk.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 9, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I think this screencap serves as a metaphor for at least GotG's stance on sex:

That's easier to have one-night stands and/or emotionless connections than to allow intimacy with people you think are family/friends, because it creates vulnerability and makes you accept yours and their flaws?

Agreed.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Franchescanado posted:

Specifically, the only child fathered out of some form of affection/love instead of just reproduction.

I have to say I didn't like the detail that Quinn was special because of (reasons, the above being one possibility. It's one of my least favorite things in the movie. Humans-are-special in any context bugs me a lot, but especially in sci-fi for some reason. They could have said that the key difference is that Peter grabbing an Infinity Stone unlocked a cosmic awareness inside or something? Make it something he did, not something inherent in his person.

I guess it works thematically if he's special because Ego loved his mother, but I thought basically everything Ego said was a lie. I don't think Ego was capable of truly loving another person, and everything he said on that angle was to seduce Peter. I'm actually a little surprised people think he looked like Kurt Russell with all the other alien women -- it's a funny joke, but I took it to be an indication that he was fabricating 90% of his story (or from his perspective, glossing over the unimportant details for the dumb human.) I figured he told the same thing a hundred times to a hundred children, then tried to play catch with them and threw them off the veranda if they couldn't make an energy ball.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

This is where you need to grab the subtext by the balls and notice what is the source of fear is - it's the father's promiscuity. He has other children and families. The irony is this is that despite the big statement about how it's okay to be special, the movie embraces the fear of not being special.
Nah, that doesn't work - again, note the point at which the plot turns. It's not Ego revealing his promiscuity; if it was, we wouldn't need Dead Kid Cave, or his revelation about his personal hand in Meredith's death. Dead Kid Cave prepares the immediate oncoming shock; killing Quill's mother is the hit, both to Quill and to the audience, if the various people talking about gasps from the cinema at that point are to be any judge of its effectiveness. Too, Ego's end goal is about as opposite promiscuity and sex and procreation as possible.

Promiscuity as a source of fear, on the other hand, doesn't work as subtext; Quill would love to have more biological family, that's his whole interest for the first half of the film. And once again, the other big villains of the film are a natural counter - they've eliminated promiscuity from their society entirely.

Also I would've said that the movie did the exact opposite of embracing the fear of not being special. Ego, the villain, is driven by that fear. The Sovereign, villains, are driven by that fear. Quill triumphs when he give up something that makes him special. You can even dig down into the Gamora/Nebula plot and see that Nebula, who had very good reason to fear not being special, ends up being able to move past that, cementing a turn to the good guys in the process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

I have to say I didn't like the detail that Quinn was special because of (reasons, the above being one possibility. It's one of my least favorite things in the movie. Humans-are-special in any context bugs me a lot, but especially in sci-fi for some reason. They could have said that the key difference is that Peter grabbing an Infinity Stone unlocked a cosmic awareness inside or something? Make it something he did, not something inherent in his person.

I guess it works thematically if he's special because Ego loved his mother, but I thought basically everything Ego said was a lie. I don't think Ego was capable of truly loving another person, and everything he said on that angle was to seduce Peter. I'm actually a little surprised people think he looked like Kurt Russell with all the other alien women -- it's a funny joke, but I took it to be an indication that he was fabricating 90% of his story (or from his perspective, glossing over the unimportant details for the dumb human.) I figured he told the same thing a hundred times to a hundred children, then tried to play catch with them and threw them off the veranda if they couldn't make an energy ball.

I agree, but it makes the sacrificing of the possibility of being immortal/special a little heavier for him. It's a rejection of that idea, in a way. Peter doesn't want to be special if it means he'll lose the people who actually care and love him, he's literally allowing himself to be vulnerable by relenting the power bestowed upon him.

It's one thing if he earns the immortality, but that's not really how Christ-figures work. Jesus didn't ask for super powers or to be sent to earth, Adam Warlock didn't ask to be Marvel Jesus, Hulk didn't earn his Hulk-ness. Thor is one of the few that loses his powers in order to gain it back by earning it. It's annoying that the White Male Human figure is Inherently Special, but I do think it works in the context of GotG. Peter has to be told he's special, he's not really working with that knowledge until a day or two before he sacrifices it to be actually normal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nah, that doesn't work - again, note the point at which the plot turns. It's not Ego revealing his promiscuity; if it was, we wouldn't need Dead Kid Cave, or his revelation about his personal hand in Meredith's death. Dead Kid Cave prepares the immediate oncoming shock; killing Quill's mother is the hit, both to Quill and to the audience, if the various people talking about gasps from the cinema at that point are to be any judge of its effectiveness. Too, Ego's end goal is about as opposite promiscuity and sex and procreation as possible

Ego killing Star-Lord's mother is really just effective as a swerve, otherwise you're just reiterating my own points - the father has a skeleton full of closets, he has other women and other children. These are all things that children fear. It's not very effective, so people focus on the gasp and shock of that swerve.

And Ego's end goal is again mixed metaphors like I mentioned - he's both an evil father and an invasive species that threatens to overtake all other life. What's also being ignored that it's not very asexual at all, what with all the liquid gushing through narrow avenues.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I figured the scene that identified Ego the best was when he screamed something like "I will never again be alone!". Dude is inherently afraid of that, and it would ultimately ruin his plan: even if he succeeded, it'd be precisely what he didn't want.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The villain's plan is to impregnate women while metaphorically impregnating planets.

Ego wanting to gently caress planets is a well-established part of his character:

Seems like a stretch.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Earth is way better than a 3, even with what humans have been doing to it. It's at least a galactic 6, and around Sol that's basically an 8.

Franchescanado posted:

It's hard to say the MCU is sexless when it's first hero was lecherous playboy Iron Man, who's first interest in returning to the US is getting a burger, holding a press conference and then trying to find someone to gently caress. The majority sure is, but a popular and heavily prevalent aspect to Iron Man is that he's hosed almost every girl he's met.

Tony canonically fucks, but the movies themselves are sexless. Peter Parker in Spider-Man gets into hotter situations than anyone in the MCU.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Ego killing Star-Lord's mother is really just effective as a swerve, otherwise you're just reiterating my own points - the father has a skeleton full of closets, he has other women and other children. These are all things that children fear. It's not very effective, so people focus on the gasp and shock of that swerve.
That Ego has his unknown Dead Kid Cave secret isn't your points, that's the text of the film. The point you made that I was addressing was your belief that "Sex is uncomfortable and disruptive in the movie's universe, and it threatens all life in the galaxy.", and later on, "what is the source of fear is - it's the father's promiscuity." Both ideas are actively disagreed with by both text and subtext of the film. Both two big villains have eliminated, or seek to eliminate, promiscuity and sex, and thwart procreation, either before it happens or after.

Your point that children fear those things could work very well, on the other hand... except that the typical sources for that fear don't work in this instance. Fear that promiscuity might lead to a father leaving his family? That's already happened for Quill. Fear of negative repercussions for the family? Also already happened. Children can fear promiscuity in parents, but Quill, specifically, doesn't have a reason to. The opposite, in fact - promiscuity on the part of his dad means he has a bigger family, and that's his goal. On a more comedic level you could even point out that Quill's dad being promiscuous means he's less likely to pass judgment on Quill in turn for stuff like hitting on the Sovereign's leader, or the whole blacklight bit from the first film. Really, promiscuous Ego is a win-win for Quill. It's familicidal Ego that's the problem.

quote:

And Ego's end goal is again mixed metaphors like I mentioned - he's both an evil father and an invasive species that threatens to overtake all other life. What's also being ignored that it's not very asexual at all, what with all the liquid gushing through narrow avenues.
The metaphors actually end up working pretty well together; Ego's fatherhood isn't portrayed as negative, and to the contrary, when he's "dad Ego" he gets portrayed well. It's his rejection of fatherhood for the mantle of invasive species that's the problem. His abandonment of one role for another highlights the difference between the two concepts.

And to my memory liquid doesn't gush down any narrow avenues. It erupts from outside the... gas station? Diner? and from then on just kinda grows upwards and out, and down big broad streets. Lots of open spaces.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I figured the scene that identified Ego the best was when he screamed something like "I will never again be alone!". Dude is inherently afraid of that, and it would ultimately ruin his plan: even if he succeeded, it'd be precisely what he didn't want.
Speaking of, one thing that didn't make sense to me was he's a big music fan, but he's happy to kill off any artist but himself?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Earth is way better than a 3, even with what humans have been doing to it. It's at least a galactic 6, and around Sol that's basically an 8.

Tony canonically fucks, but the movies themselves are sexless. Peter Parker in Spider-Man gets into hotter situations than anyone in the MCU.

Oh you guys mean visual tongue slapping and dry humping.

You right. MCU's all about hand holding, like Black Widow and Hulk.

Speaking of, one thing that didn't make sense to me was he's a big music fan, but he's happy to kill off any artist but himself?

I mean, that sounds like most artists, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

It erupts from outside the... gas station? Diner?

It was clearly a dairy queen. The big ego blobs feel like they didn't really make much sense, they didn't feel visually connected to ego or to the little red blood cell filled pineapples they came out of. They didn't give any particular appearance they were terraforming anything, it just seemed like foam inflating.

• Locked thread