Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

A friend told me he logged in a few days ago during primetime and there were four people in the capital city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

clone on the phone posted:

A friend told me he logged in a few days ago during primetime and there were four people in the capital city.

Was he playing Wildstar or Rift?

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

CoffeeBooze posted:

What was the population like while you were playing?

Including both the regular client and Steam, they are supposedly down to 800 people on average.

Kenby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 6, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Sad

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

CoffeeBooze posted:

A handful of curious people like me at lower levels, but the entire game just seemed boring and dead.

Also, the environments really aren't that good.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Byolante posted:

Imo people view wow as something polite people don't talk about enjoying, like anime or having a bat. FF14 people are the weebs who explain why madoka isn't actually paedo bait to you at a party.
you had me until "weebs at a party"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

A handful of curious people like me at lower levels, but the entire game just seemed boring and dead.

Also, the environments really aren't that good.

I liked the opening desert zones, but hated the opening snow zones. In fact I just hate snow biomes in particular outside of WoW.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CoffeeBooze posted:

WoW's community seems very weird and insular to me. The game still has a huge number of subscribers but I cant remember the last time I talked to someone who played. Its as if its become part of Blizzard's self contained eco system of games from which people rarely every poke their heads out to talk to non-Blizzard fans.

As far as these forums are concerned I imagine most WoW players are busy in the WoW sub-forum and probably aren't hanging around here much unless their sub has lapsed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Failboattootoot posted:

As far as these forums are concerned I imagine most WoW players are busy in the WoW sub-forum and probably aren't hanging around here much unless their sub has lapsed.

There's a handful like that but I think most of them are active posters elsewhere

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played WoW since late Wrath, but I enjoy poking around in wowplayers.txt and the rp thread because some poo poo is just universal.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's a handful like that but I think most of them are active posters elsewhere

Sorry, I meant that they probably aren't reading this specific subforum since it doesn't contain info on the mmo they are currently playing. Not that they read and post only in the WoW forum.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I liked the opening desert zones, but hated the opening snow zones.

I remember people complaining about the early snow zone. What went wrong with it?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mizuti posted:

I remember people complaining about the early snow zone. What went wrong with it?

On the whole I find snow zones to be overdone and generic at this point, and this game has loving three of them. But the draw distance was way down because snowstorm so you couldn't see poo poo to really enjoy it. Meanwhile in the desert zone you are climbing big mesa's using floaty crystal things and overall that was a lot more fun. Also the entire game had this pseudo "Western Gunslinger/Goldrush in Space" theme which really plays out well in the desert themed zones, specifically Algoroc.

Mix in the outstanding soundtrack (One of the other things rarely talked about that this game did drat well) and the opening desert zone just really came together thematically.

Meanwhile they could have snipped WIlderun and Whitevale out of the game entirely and compacted the leveling somewhat or expanded farside to compensate and it would have been a net gain. Everyone loved farside with it's wonky gravity.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Meanwhile they could have snipped WIlderun and Whitevale out of the game entirely and compacted the leveling somewhat or expanded farside to compensate and it would have been a net gain. Everyone loved farside with it's wonky gravity.

Whitevale, for some reason, was about 4x the size of any zone up until that point, so while they made a big deal about trying to avoid 'zone fatigue' in the early zones, suddenly you were hit in the face with this ridiculously oversized zone that looked the exact same everywhere you went, and you'd be stuck in for 10 levels.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Whitevale was also the first zone where you really ran into faction PVP, especially since the two factions' leveling paths crossed repeatedly.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Whitevale crossed the following 3 boundaries during leveling simultaneously and suffered in various ways:

- First faction PVP zone
- First zone where mounts are available
- Crossed the level 25 (22?) barrier where some key abilities open up

As a result, plus wildstar's consistent problem of having a misshapen advancement curve w/r/t enemy power vs. player power, the first couple of levels of whitevale have brutal killer enemies, camping enemy faction, and huge-rear end travel time without a mount, specifically around the first neutral village. About halfway through, the zone opens up that faction camping isn't easy, you get a mount, I believe, and you level up enough that you're dunking on monsters instead of the other way around. But the first 2-3 levels of whitevale take like 2-3 hours because of how hosed up it is, and a lot of people bailed at that specific spot.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Not only that but by the time most players reached Whitefall they had around 15 or so hours into the game which despite its constant claims of having a science fiction setting was starting to look a whole lot like every other generic fantasy MMO including WoW. Carbine really failed to distinguish Wildstar's zone design from other games on the market with the exception of Farside which probably should have been a lot earlier in the leveling progression.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like playing on PvP servers in theme park MMOs must be a thing people do because that's what Serious Gamers do but no one actually likes. Whitevale sucked on PvE servers too, it was simply huge and boring.

It was also home to that one herd of deer, which were probably the most overtuned solo questing enemies I've ever seen in an MMO.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
So that zone has a deadly combination of unbalanced power curve, generic level design, and long transit time. Peoples' descriptions of it make me think of 2007 era WoW and its despised expansion zone, Blade's Edge Mountains, except that this one isn't remotely interesting to look at.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

So that zone has a deadly combination of unbalanced power curve, generic level design, and long transit time. Peoples' descriptions of it make me think of 2007 era WoW and its despised expansion zone, Blade's Edge Mountains, except that this one isn't remotely interesting to look at.

Blades Edge was? It was a big brown splotch full of ravages and ogres.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

It was kind of like Desolace, but with more spikes and fewer centaurs.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I liked Blade's Edge :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

UHD posted:

I liked Blade's Edge :(

me too but let's be honest nobody wanted to start it without flying, outside of "gently caress I'm completely out of nagrand quests, guess I'll have to bum the lovely intro blade's edge quests to hit 68 and start flying"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kenby posted:

Including both the regular client and Steam, they are supposedly down to 800 people on average.

Jesus. Jumpgate limped along with 100 people for a long time but that was a totally different era and a totally different budget. That the game's ended up with so few people is... I want to say "mind blowing" but no, it's perfectly understandable. I just still didn't imagine it'd get that bad before NCSoft pulled the plug.

At this point I have to figure that someone remaining at Carbine is friends with NCSoft management or said management somehow sees keeping the game going as part of the marketing for MxM, because there's no real justification otherwise for the game servers remaining up.

edit: holy gently caress, the reddit is so slow that posts submitted a week ago, with less than 10 comments, remain on the front page :stare:

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Jesus. Jumpgate limped along with 100 people for a long time but that was a totally different era and a totally different budget. That the game's ended up with so few people is... I want to say "mind blowing" but no, it's perfectly understandable. I just still didn't imagine it'd get that bad before NCSoft pulled the plug.

At this point I have to figure that someone remaining at Carbine is friends with NCSoft management or said management somehow sees keeping the game going as part of the marketing for MxM, because there's no real justification otherwise for the game servers remaining up.

edit: holy gently caress, the reddit is so slow that posts submitted a week ago, with less than 10 comments, remain on the front page :stare:

Always remember that CoH was killed at least in part to enable this shitpile to exist.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Crumpet posted:

Always remember that CoH was killed at least in part to enable this shitpile to exist.

Believe me, that is a fact I will never be able to forget

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

NCSoft is having Carbine develop a new game. Closing down Wildstar would be really, really bad for consumer confidence in whatever it is they are developing so Wildstar is going to stay around for quite a while it looks like. I am really freaking curious what the new game is going to be because in order for NCSoft to have kept this particular tire fire going it must have sounded promising.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Crumpet posted:

Lol if you actually think Wildstar had anything to with CoH.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

CoffeeBooze posted:

NCSoft is having Carbine develop a new game. Closing down Wildstar would be really, really bad for consumer confidence in whatever it is they are developing so Wildstar is going to stay around for quite a while it looks like. I am really freaking curious what the new game is going to be because in order for NCSoft to have kept this particular tire fire going it must have sounded promising.

I'm sure it will be great. I have the utmost confidence in NC's decision-making abilities. :)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Schubalts posted:

Lol if you actually think Wildstar had anything to with CoH.

It's running on CoH's old servers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has the joke been made so often it's become an actual belief?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I believe at some point after CoH got taken down, the IP addresses for their authentication servers pointed at something to do with wildstar. So naturally it's 100% confirmed.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

This video game is so boring and forgettable that people cant even find a reason to hate it so instead they made up some story about Carbine stealing CoH's servers or something.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

i played wildstar a little bit not too long ago and to get the bg-equivalent queues to pop required some guy who, day after day, would apparently multi-box wildstar and queue for them so they'd have enough numbers to fill.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i played wildstar a little bit not too long ago and to get the bg-equivalent queues to pop required some guy who, day after day, would apparently multi-box wildstar and queue for them so they'd have enough numbers to fill.

Lmfao that is the saddest thing in this whole thread

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

Lmfao that is the saddest thing in this whole thread

Even mid F2P launch BG queues generally only popped when there was a double pvp reward weekend, because the PVP was that miserable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Holy poo poo that is possibly the most depressing thing Ive ever heard in an MMO and Ive been around long enough to remember the thread where the dude's room mate was making GBS threads in socks while camping Ragefire for his cleric epic.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought it was in a litter box and the original poopsocking thing was from a completely unrelated story about a poo poo collection fetishist.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
making GBS threads in a sock seems like it would be hard to do well and easy to gently caress up. A bucket seems smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, the dudes roommate was an absolute shut in due to his EQ habit and when he finally moved out dude found a few poo poo filled socks in the room along with plenty of other nastiness. At least that's how I remember it I'm not sure I want to take the time to verify if my memory is correct.

• Locked thread