Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the new NBA rebuild method is the tried and true Three Alphas model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Kibner posted:

Teams have tried to follow the Thunder model. None of them have even made it to the playoffs, yet.

Even if you gifted a team with the best scouting in the world 3 #1 picks in a row, they almost definitely wouldn't manage to hit on the equivalent of Durant/Westbrook/Harden.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
Obviously it takes a lot of luck but I think it's fair to say title contention takes a lot of luck anyway

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oh hey, Draymond Green hosed around and what even is the point of basketball this season decade.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

Obviously it takes a lot of luck but I think it's fair to say title contention takes a lot of luck anyway

Yeah, so put something out there that people can easily cheer for and still has room to improve.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 9, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

From a fan of a team who is only going to win a million championships off heart, grit, and grind, having a competitive team that represents the city well and is fun to watch is absolutely priceless. I wouldn't trade that game 3 win over the Spurs for hardly anything. Except a championship

I agree with this 100% but I think you also have to consider style of play/identity. If the Raps felt like they were maximizing their talent and just always falling short I'd be down to keep on rolling it back because it's worth it game to game as a fan. But they are so inconsistent and at times dreadful. It's not like they lose putting forth their best effort, they just poo poo the bed. I really want to think this is mostly the coaches fault but I'm starting to worry that Lowry is just not built for this playoff life.

I guess realistically the team's identity is win a bunch of games but in the most turbulent way possible while never maximizing talent in high leverage situations because of incompetent coaching and a lack of gamers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rondo somehow came out of this clusterfuck bulls season sounding like the only adult on the team, which is astonishing considering that rondo is a toxic shithead who was thrown off two teams and suspended for hate speech.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

Earlier this season I posted a lot about how being in the top 4 in the east but never beating Lebron is not the worst. And I'm not one of those people who advocate for championship or bust. From a fan's perspective, someone who watches way too many games, it makes it worthwhile to have a team that wins most of them, even if you know they are never good enough. Watching wins are fun.

That said, I think the window on this unit has closed. If it were two years ago I'd say go re-sign everyone and lock us in but the last few months have made me really nervous about Lowry and even Ibaka. They are great players but I cant see either getting better Lowry more so, as he has yet to have a playoff run where he isn't bothered by some injury, which will only get worse. I really hate rebuilds as I've seen this team do it so many times but I think moving on from the free agents, keeping Derozan and firing Casey is the best step.

Hearing Zach Lowe say that every team that isn't in the conference finals should rebuild gets so loving tiring. For one thing, tanking is not effective if 1/3 of the league is doing it at once. It's great for the sort of international dirtbags who pull guys like Thon Maker from some rugged area and say HEY, POTENTIAL, because more teams are scrambling for it, but there will only be so many real prospects, so many diamonds in the rough to be developed. For smaller market teams the local tv deal is very important in keeping revenue steady if the team doesn't sell tickets, so you have to assume those teams want to look like they're improving or are going to stay good when those deals are being negotiated.

The lottery when it's not rigged is random enough to gently caress you even if you are terrible, and being terrible can alienate fans and sponsors in a way that's difficult to recover from.

Although with the attention economy, maybe you can tankwithout anyone noticing. Like the Lakers, sign bad big name players to big contracts and pretend you're trying to win and act very confused when you get lottery picks instead.

The raptors could sign Lowry and Ibaka to max deals and then act really confused when they're awful and cant afford to sign anyone in 2 years, then when those contracts expire they'll have had 3 years of lottery picks and valuable future picks. That's the way to keep people buying tickets and watching games, just keep the old names around as they decline and act like you're trying really hard to improve.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I recall some factoid where Lowry hates Colangelo and liked Hinkie

Nor do I want to pay him the max

Neither do I but he's coming home.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hearing Zach Lowe say that every team that isn't in the conference finals should rebuild gets so loving tiring.

I don't think he's saying he definitively should, just pointing out that there is a hard ceiling to some of these teams and asking whether or not it's something they will/should consider. It's an interesting thing to talk about as evidenced by the last however many pages of this thread and the bulk of the conversation on the NBA internet generally.

Fwiw I think being a consistent winner the routinely makes like the second round can be fun (love you, Deron/Boozer/Memo) and is generally underrated by the weird Heinke cult folks who act like there is no difference between falling short of the title and being the literal worst team in the entire sport (or that the latter is actually way more desireable because ASSETS). The NBA season is very long and there is something to be said for being able to turn on the TV for a random game in January and know that they have a good chance of winning more often than not.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 9, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah but there are maybe 10 guys in the league at any time on that level. If you tank fucken hard and get 5 top five picks in a row, the odds aren't you don't draft a single guy on that level. You probably get two busts, Ibaka, Lowry, and Derozen. Look at the Wizards, the Blazers, the Magic, the Wolves like 4 or 5 times, even the Thunder, who got closer than most. It usually doesn't work. You're just as likely to make the leap the way the Lakers did (insanely lucky mid rounder and a dickhead free agent who wants to play in your city) or the Cavs (blow your picks and luck into more, and a dickhead free agent wants to come home) or the way the Warriors did (late lottery gambles and second rounders that all worked by sheer luck, plus TWO dickhead free agents playing mercenary) or the Celtics (multiple teams had a fire sale when they had a pile ornate mediocre assets and a lonely superstar) or the Heat (dickhead free agents plus lonely superstars. Actually building from a full tank describes no title team in the last 20 years except maybe the Pistons and the 2006 Heat.

I want to have the best player on the court for a drat playoff series. If you half rear end poo poo like the Raptors currently are, you constantly get articles/podcasts jerking off to players on the other team and you become laughingstocks of a different nature. I would much rather have a superstar with no help around him than fake rear end allstars that melt in the spotlight, because at least then there's some shred of hope. How you get that superstar doesn't matter. The Raptors currently do not have a path of getting one in FA, so that leaves the draft. The best way to get a superstar in the draft is to have good picks.

A second round exit team is nothing more than the inevitable realization that it doesn't mean poo poo. It's another loving sweep for LeBron. I'd much rather have the hope, no matter how small, that tanking provides than be a loving warm up act for the teams that matter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Raptors could let Lowry walk and get pennys on the dollar for DeRozan and they're still going to win 30+ games and not get a superstar next year or the one after because it's the East and unless you have 1-3 year players or literal d-leaguers you aren't bad enough to lose more games than that.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
FVV, Bruno, and just pick someone else, we almost there

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

R.D. Mangles posted:

the new NBA rebuild method is the tried and true Three Alphas model.

Demar, Norm, and Delon. Raptors are set.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

MourningView posted:

I don't think he's saying he definitively should, just pointing out that there is a hard ceiling to some of these teams and asking whether or not it's something they will/should consider. It's an interesting thing to talk about as evidenced by the last however many pages of this thread and the bulk of the conversation on the NBA internet generally.

Fwiw I think being a consistent winner the routinely makes like the second round can be fun (love you, Deron/Boozer/Memo) and is generally underrated by the weird Heinke cult folks who act like there is no difference between falling short of the title and being the literal worst team in the entire sport (or that the latter is actually way more desireable because ASSETS). The NBA season is very long and there is something to be said for being able to turn on the TV for a random game in January and know that they have a good chance of winning more often than not.

I agree if the team is fun it's cool.

Hinkie worked with Philly fans because of the way the Sixers teams were built for about 25+ years. Outside of that one miracle season in 2000, the last time the Sixers won 50 games was 1989. They never really even had home court in the first round upside. 25+ years of being thoroughly mediocre will buy you the goodwill of the fanbase, but the Sixers never had a team like the Raptors this year. Not only were the teams mediocre, they weren't particularly interesting or fun.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hinkies model was not "solely rely on the draft". It was way more flexible. Colangelo seems to be following it as well. It was always just at the position the sixers were in 4 years ago, the draft was the best avenue. Everyone realizes trades and FAs also work and in fact Hinkie was building up assets and cap room for those things as well.

I do agree tho that there is a wierd Hinkie death cult that is especially strange now that it appears hes an odious tech bro.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kibner posted:

Teams have tried to follow the Thunder model. None of them have even made it to the playoffs, yet.

Atlanta sports talk radio, which will celebrate an NFC championship but anything short of a world title in any other sport in a town with 1 title ever is unacceptable, is banging the drum to get Coach Bud out of town because he hasn't been able to replicate this model because you can just do it. Just go get those players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Jazz are probably one of the teams that has done the best job building through the draft recently and their last 3 top 10 picks are still Dante Exum, Enes Kanter, and Trey Burke. The draft is hard!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Were you the person last offseason saying that "second-tier team that could sneak into the finals in an injury-lucky year" was a fine place to be? I think a couple of people were arguing that. I'm generally okay with that but I think it might be quite costly just to maintain that this offseason. Lowry, Patterson-role, and Ross-role aren't coming back at cost, so just treading water would probably require them to commit quite a bit of money.

I'd be okay if the Raptors let Lowry walked, got what they could for JV, and started giving the younger players space to develop while Demar jacked up glorious, glorious long 2s.

e: On Raptors Republic season roundup, they said that back in the day Colangelo rejected Valanciunas for Harden. Now that would've been interesting.

Was that when JV was drafted? Because I feel like that makes it more defensible, since they maybe thought he could do 20-12 instead of 12-9. I like JV, but unfortunately this league went from being wafer-thin at C to being fairly strong, so nobody really needs him unless there's somebody out there who wildly overvalues him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/861968273507856384

https://twitter.com/Paul__Jones/status/861962723135029248

Plz Masai (nothing will probably change)

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 9, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If only there was a person responsible for determining a team's playing style. Some type of leadership position that tells the players on the court what to do. Like a life coach for tactics and play calling. They should get one of those.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BWV posted:

If only there was a person responsible for determining a team's playing style. Some type of leadership position that tells the players on the court what to do. Like a life coach for tactics and play calling. They should get one of those.

run the dang ball raps

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mavs slowly planning end of roster moves with Chinese domestic MVP, Ding Yanyuhang.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2017/05/12/potential-chinese-signingding-jinhui-benefit-mavericks-court

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/864207232749060098

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think part of the problem I have with some of the outrage over it is that I don't like instantly reach for my remote to change the channel or whatever as people apparently must do or whatever. Watching a game with 60 free throws is indeed bad but watching a guy get fouled and get an extra free throw once or twice a game isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/864335378462855171

Welp. Bench is just the worst one of all time, apparently.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Raptors should probably fire their poo poo rear end coach before they get too crazy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

Their bench was super lovely. That Mahinmi contract might be the difference between the Wizards being contenders and not.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kibner posted:

Wow, I knew it was bad but didn't realize it was that bad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A good article about the death of Bryce Dejean-Jones: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709769-the-night-that-cost-bryce-dejean-jones-his-life-and-nba-dream

Not the first time someone has been done in by an anger problem exacerbated by alcohol and won't be the last. I'm always sad and angry at him every time I'm reminded of this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

A good article about the death of Bryce Dejean-Jones: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709769-the-night-that-cost-bryce-dejean-jones-his-life-and-nba-dream

Not the first time someone has been done in by an anger problem exacerbated by alcohol and won't be the last. I'm always sad and angry at him every time I'm reminded of this.

Heartbreaking on all sides.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/the_real_gabby/status/864863890311663616

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'll believe it when I see it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This is a dirty lie and I am gonna stab someone

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

It's like the "Ricky Rubio is never leaving Spain to join the Timberwolves" thing just never died and keeps lurching around.

No guys, seriously, THIS TIME HE'S GONE. The fact that he took a below-max contract the first chance an extension was available to stay in Minnesota clearly indicates he wants out. Especially now that he's surrounded by young talent.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
the legend grows

https://streamable.com/2y7eb

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

Their bench was super lovely. That Mahinmi contract might be the difference between the Wizards being contenders and not.

Its amazing that 2 centers got worse contracts that Mozgov last summer

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

He died for your sins

Or maybe Embiids feet & knees form the trinity with hinkie as the Originator

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I was so desperately hornt up for that rumored Reggie Jackson for Rubio and some other stuff trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/SportsRadioWIP/status/864611947395911682

They also raised thousands of $ for charity by having a big cardboard cutout of Vlade Divac for a "celebrity photograph".

https://twitter.com/tallmaurice/status/864605150509490177

• Locked thread