Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I can't remember if Nokturnal Mortum are still or ever were true Nazi's but the new album is pretty good! ( so hopefully not :unsmith: )

They've gone from Black Metal with some flutes, to basically full on folk-black - more flutes, more weird Ukranian stringed instruments, more shouting/gang vocals/spoken bits, and folky/rock grooves/rhythms. I think this album has more in common with Arkona than anything they've released in the past. poo poo they even changed their logo to be made of trees and poo poo. Still a presence of "runes" ( Nazi's? ).

Full Album:
https://nokturnalmortum1.bandcamp.com/album/verity

Favourite song? One of them so far, but I'll need to give this a few more listens:
https://nokturnalmortum1.bandcamp.com/track/--16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

I can't remember if Nokturnal Mortum are still or ever were true Nazi's but the new album is pretty good! ( so hopefully not :unsmith: )

They've gone from Black Metal with some flutes, to basically full on folk-black - more flutes, more weird Ukranian stringed instruments, more shouting/gang vocals/spoken bits, and folky/rock grooves/rhythms. I think this album has more in common with Arkona than anything they've released in the past. poo poo they even changed their logo to be made of trees and poo poo. Still a presence of "runes" ( Nazi's? ).

Full Album:

Favourite song? One of them so far, but I'll need to give this a few more listens:

They were but they shut up about it at the very least. Voice of Steel is still a jam.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think they took the Graveland approach.
Which is nice because they are on the same label and have released a split

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Nazis or not, Voice of Steel is the best goddamn album of the past 17 years and the new album is real good.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Nordick posted:

This is pretty much square in the middle of my wheelhouse. Really good poo poo, thanks.

Unrelated, new Havukruunu album is now out and you can grab a digital copy from Bandcamp for a paltry 3,50€.

https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp.com/album/kelle-surut-soi

It's really loving good.

EDIT: Holy poo poo it is really, REALLY goddamn good. gently caress.

This is, in fact, really goddamn good. Just like you promised. Thanks!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Didn't one of their 200 logos have swastikas on it?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OpaqueEcho posted:

This is, in fact, really goddamn good. Just like you promised. Thanks!
You're welcome. So far everyone who's listened to it that I've talked to has loved it. I myself am loving hooked.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nordick posted:

You're welcome. So far everyone who's listened to it that I've talked to has loved it. I myself am loving hooked.

Forgot to report back the other day but I fuckin love it.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I listened to Nokturnal's album that came before The Voice of Steel thinking it was VoS. It was a fantastic album and I just recently found out I had made this mistake and now I've listened to the real Voice of Steel and it's ridiculously good.

I don't listen to many black metal bands that may or may not have nazi leanings but drat NM is really good.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cobra Commander posted:

I listened to Nokturnal's album that came before The Voice of Steel thinking it was VoS. It was a fantastic album and I just recently found out I had made this mistake and now I've listened to the real Voice of Steel and it's ridiculously good.

I don't listen to many black metal bands that may or may not have nazi leanings but drat NM is really good.

All of Nokturnal Mortum's albums are really good with the exception of NeChrist which is unbelievably lovely and also blatantly racist. The demo Lunar Poetry is also ridiculously good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

Full Album:

They're still nazis and think that the fascists in the government in ukraine are heroes. the new album sounds pretty dull to me at a first listen, some of the songs were alright though I guess.

Dimebags Brain posted:

All of Nokturnal Mortum's albums are really good with the exception of NeChrist which is unbelievably lovely and also blatantly racist. The demo Lunar Poetry is also ridiculously good.

Nechrist is quite good actually, which is fairly bizarre given that it has ridiculous hillbilly dance parts, but they've been pretty good at making very stupid musical ideas work really well over the years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Goat Horns has the goofiest keyboards and album cover.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Goat Horns has the goofiest keyboards and album cover.

That one is cool because both the guitars and the keyboards sound like they're from a videogame, but then it's actually still not a bad album.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
Anacrusis is still good af and Kenn Nardi's Dancing with the Past is also good af.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Misandry Cannon posted:

Anacrusis is still good af and Kenn Nardi's Dancing with the Past is also good af.

Both are very underrated

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
does anyone else here love the first three textures albums or is that more metalcore thread territory

i feel like it's more this thread since the metalcore one is more about poo poo like emmure

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

muike posted:

does anyone else here love the first three textures albums or is that more metalcore thread territory

i feel like it's more this thread since the metalcore one is more about poo poo like emmure

nobody really likes emmure there, it's way more talk about the acacia strain and every time i die

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Oh hey Tengger Cavalry has some actual new stuff up on Bandcamp, better check it out"

https://tenggercavalry.bandcamp.com/track/ashley

:allbuttons:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Alehkhs posted:

The album is out now. The entire thing can be listened to over on Arjen Lucassen's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSoR4EdyIo

I love this album, this is the release of the year for me. After a week of repeat listening it just gets better and better and better.

Goddamn, dropping swing 8th jazz into a metal track about everyone being slaughtered by robots is just so loving :allears:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Goddamn, dropping swing 8th jazz into a metal track about everyone being slaughtered by robots is just so loving :allears:

it's kind of embarrassing to both metal and jazz don't you think

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No way in hell I'm listening to Ukrainian nazi metal, I don't care if they're the second coming of Tony Iommi, Dave Lombardo and peanut butter combind.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tias posted:

No way in hell I'm listening to Ukrainian nazi metal, I don't care if they're the second coming of Tony Iommi, Dave Lombardo and peanut butter combind.

Cool.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Blind Guardian announced a new live album :neckbeard: think they hinted at this in the last tour but cool to see a date.

https://www.facebook.com/blindguardian/photos/a.373638827112.152258.21570237112/10154519440477113/?type=3

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tias posted:

Congratulations, brave metal warrior

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nordick posted:

"Oh hey Tengger Cavalry has some actual new stuff up on Bandcamp, better check it out"

I don't know what I was expecting after your post, but what I heard definitely wasn't it

...I kinda dig it?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
metalcore was a mistake imo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

metalcore was a mistake imo

nah, the good stuff is worth the bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

what about american nazi metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd_26NsqdSM

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nordick posted:

I really like Tengger Cavalry but what the gently caress is this. If the whole new album is like this, that's hosed up.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

the yeti posted:

Blind Guardian announced a new live album :neckbeard: think they hinted at this in the last tour but cool to see a date.

https://www.facebook.com/blindguardian/photos/a.373638827112.152258.21570237112/10154519440477113/?type=3

Rad. I saw the American leg of this tour and they sounded great.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hulk Krogan posted:

Rad. I saw the American leg of this tour and they sounded great.

Yeah same, it was a great set list and performance.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of Fallujah but less in-your-face wanky tech death-ish and with some black metal thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGgbj4N0Yk

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A human heart posted:

it's kind of embarrassing to both metal and jazz don't you think
Not as embarrassing as you constantly making GBS threads on everything like an insufferable snob.
EDIT: Ok actually it's more just plain annoying

kumba posted:

I don't know what I was expecting after your post, but what I heard definitely wasn't it

...I kinda dig it?
It's the stark contrast to their usual stuff that's jarring as hell to me. I mean, we have this band that's been playing awesome mongol horde metal about massed cavalry and shamans and horse gods and whatever, and now suddenly they're pining after some girl called Ashley? I guess there's a joke in there somewhere about the rotting influence of western civilization or something. :v:

I can almost see the comedy film "Genghis Goes to America" where the hordes try to invade the US through a time rift but get enamored with cheeseburgers and drive-in cinema and stuff, and hilarious hijinks ensue.

hopterque posted:

I really like Tengger Cavalry but what the gently caress is this. If the whole new album is like this, that's hosed up.
I'm gonna assume (hope) it's just the obligatory ballad of the album. The title track is more what you'd expect from the band. Still a bit different, but pretty cool.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 9, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

hopterque posted:

Doesn't he do a lot of work for tv and movie scores? I think he did some of the score for season 2 of Daredevil? I'm thinking it might be something from one of those projects.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I thought the whole point of Tengger Cavalry is that they were all Mongolian dudes. That song was awful, and in the picture at the banner there is 2 loving white guys.

I don't know if this is reverse racism, but I don't want white dudes playing Mongolian folk metal. I bet one of them wrote "Ashley" :saddowns:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The vocals are pretty loving horrible

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

TollTheHounds posted:

I thought the whole point of Tengger Cavalry is that they were all Mongolian dudes. That song was awful, and in the picture at the banner there is 2 loving white guys.

I don't know if this is reverse racism, but I don't want white dudes playing Mongolian folk metal. I bet one of them wrote "Ashley" :saddowns:

Didn't Ghost Bath pretend to be from China?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TollTheHounds posted:

It's a ballad and supposed to be different, here's the title track https://tenggercavalry.bandcamp.com/album/die-on-my-ride

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7777130/tengger-cavalry-ashley-exclusive posted:

Billboard has the exclusive lyric video of “Ashley,” the second single from Die on My Ride. Ganganbaigal describes the love ballad as “a very personal song, just like the entire album.” He notes that while Tengger Cavalry’s previous releases “revolved around historical and traditional themes, this record talks more about an individual’s perspective about struggling, challenges and opportunities. The piano parts are a personal touch.”

Ganganbaigal knows the lyrical content is a major shift from the group’s typical battle-influenced output. “I think it is kind of hilarious and interesting that a heavy metal band who always sings about galloping wild horses and bloody warriors would finally put out a love song in our own interpretation and musical arrangement,” he muses.

Tengger Cavalry’s Lavigne covers were done in the same vein. “A lot of pop songs are very catchy, well arranged and have great spirit lyrically, too,” he observes. “It is a good challenge for me as a producer and songwriter to take on Avril’s songwriting style into that of our own, which made it such an enjoyable songwriting experience. Just like Avril’s lyrics [in “What the Hell”], I was totally having fun and messing around.”

e: also the guy who started Tengger Cavalry as a solo project in 2010 is from China but moved to NY a few years ago IIRC

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah it's always been a couple white guys in the band, I'm pretty sure, but the guy who's the singer and driving force and founder of the band is chinese, but with strong mongolian roots IIRC. I'm pretty sure he can pick whoever he wants to play in his band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binaryslacker
Sep 4, 2011

Good Times

hopterque posted:

Yeah it's always been a couple white guys in the band, I'm pretty sure, but the guy who's the singer and driving force and founder of the band is chinese, but with strong mongolian roots IIRC. I'm pretty sure he can pick whoever he wants to play in his band.

Throat singing in metal is a timbre i really enjoy. Not a huge fan of the clean singing but will continue to support this band.