Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

White privileged, as explained and understood by an edgy teenager on Tumblr:

I mean, he's not wrong. Research on implicit biases has shown that everyone, including the most progressive, open-minded people, have some bigotry somewhere that they may not even be aware of. Knowing that you probably have some unconscious bias and being mindful of it is useful for being a better person.

Of course, coming out and saying YO WHITE FOLK YOU'RE ALL RACISTS AND YOU ALWAYS WILL BE NO MATTER WHAT isn't exactly going to start a useful dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Tumblr is the modern day equivalent of a teenager walking up to you in a coffee shop and asking if you've ever heard of this guy "Nietzsche" and then telling you how "mind blowing" he is. Best just ignore it.

Where do I click on that drat website to find out how many people are using it?

Also, most of the poo poo I'm seeing on trending seems like either dumb facebook stuff or just whatever interests people are into. GotG, Overwatch, shibe inus, fried chicken in waffle cones, etc. Oh, and also France's election.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

BJPaskoff posted:

White privileged, as explained and understood by an edgy teenager on Tumblr:

Because what convinces people to reconsider their worldview is accusatory language about them being racist.

They're not wrong tho

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

RareAcumen posted:

Where do I click on that drat website to find out how many people are using it?

Also, most of the poo poo I'm seeing on trending seems like either dumb facebook stuff or just whatever interests people are into. GotG, Overwatch, shibe inus, fried chicken in waffle cones, etc. Oh, and also France's election.

Sorry. Maybe I was painting with too large a brush. I actually use Tumblr to find cool cosplay stuff and share my DIY projects. The really dumb things seem, at least to me, like things a freshman might say after reading their first philosophy textbook.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Sorry. Maybe I was painting with too large a brush. I actually use Tumblr to find cool cosplay stuff and share my DIY projects. The really dumb things seem, at least to me, like things a freshman might say after reading their first philosophy textbook.

It's fine, you said that I failed to post any examples of what I mean by dumb facebook stuff.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Plom Bar posted:

They're not wrong tho

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They're mostly right but it's still a terrible philosophy which does nothing to combat racism

lol if you don't meditate for 7 hours every day to purge yourself of racist thoughts

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Plom Bar posted:

They're not wrong tho

Yea, fantastic, rhetoric like that isn't going to get anyone on your side, thought. It's starting a dialogue with a conflict and an attack on a person's character. If you want another person to agree with you the worst way to approach it is to sit down with them and say "Before we start, let's all agree that you're the bad guy and racist, ok?"

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Grem posted:

Yea, fantastic, rhetoric like that isn't going to get anyone on your side, thought. It's starting a dialogue with a conflict and an attack on a person's character. If you want another person to agree with you the worst way to approach it is to sit down with them and say "Before we start, let's all agree that you're the bad guy and racist, ok?"

Neat.

I'm sorry that their preferred means of expressing their anger isn't to your taste, but that doesn't make them wrong.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IM racist

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Like I realize I'm kinda putting myself out on a limb here but if your support for a person's causes is contingent on how nice to you they are when talking about the very real ways you contribute to the danger that permeates their entire existence then maybe your support isn't as valuable as you'd like to believe.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Plom Bar posted:

Neat.

I'm sorry that their preferred means of expressing their anger isn't to your taste, but that doesn't make them wrong.

I don't think they're wrong. They can express their anger any way they want. Two sides angry at each other aren't going to come to any agreements, though.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Grem posted:

Who said anyones looking for a side. Its just an observation. I think white people are terrible.

Am I wanna do something about it? Not if it interferes with my drinking

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I mean that little blurb from tumblr or whatever is pretty clearly trying to be directed towards someone who doesn't understand their privilege. Hardly just an observation. If you want to open someone's eyes to the fact they won the genetic lottery and are therefore ignorant of their seat at the top of a lot of piles, forcing them through harsh, beating rhetoric probably isn't the most effective. Like anything success is often dictated by motivation to succeed.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I get what all of you are saying but urgh, it's tiring to constantly have to give people the kind of respect they don't give you because it is so ingrained in their mind that POC are different and not "the norm". Explaining thoroughly how they are being hurtful. Oh and you better say it calmy or nice because you also dont want to be one of "the bad ones" and proof that their milktoast racism was totally cool and justified. Hey if you have the excess energy to talk to people the "right" way do it. But usually that is a luxury that white people have. I just don't talk to those people anymore. It is exhausting.

-Someone who as a child multiple times had to tell adults not to compare me to a monkey.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Like I realize I'm kinda putting myself out on a limb here but if your support for a person's causes is contingent on how nice to you they are when talking about the very real ways you contribute to the danger that permeates their entire existence then maybe your support isn't as valuable as you'd like to believe.

Sarcopenia posted:

I get what all of you are saying but urgh, it's tiring to constantly have to give people the kind of respect they don't give you because it is so ingrained in their mind that POC are different and not "the norm". Explaining thoroughly how they are being hurtful. Oh and you better say it calmy or nice because you also dont want to be one of "the bad ones" and proof that their milktoast racism was totally cool and justified. Hey if you have the excess energy to talk to people the "right" way do it. But usually that is a luxury that white people have. I just don't talk to those people anymore. It is exhausting.

-Someone who as a child multiple times had to tell adults not to compare me to a monkey.

On top of all that, being nice and considerate isn't really helping either. Remember all the arguments about BLM not protesting "correctly"? Remember Kaepernick?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

. But usually that is a luxury that white people have. I just don't talk to those people anymore. It is exhausting.

I get what you're saying and this is definitely a point that resonates, because I am white I really don't know the frustration that it is to be a POC. I can only give my opinion on how I'd want someone to talk to my son, who I've tried my best to raise to recognize his unearned privilege and to understand he'll never truly know the struggles of a person that's different than him, so it's important to give what they say the utmost respect. Hopefully I've raised him well enough that when confronted like something like what was posted he won't be demotivated to continue the discussion, but I can only hope.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

On top of all that, being nice and considerate isn't really helping either. Remember all the arguments about BLM not protesting "correctly"? Remember Kaepernick?

Yea :(

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tumblr's demographics are mostly young college kids and/or high schoolers. This explains pretty much everything about its usual output.

Plom Bar posted:

I know it's the vogue right now to call tone argument on everything ever, but the fact is, if you are trying to do 101-level explanations to people who aren't already inclined toward your cause, just pulling out terms they think of as insulting and expecting them to still be willing to do the mental and emotional labor to go on this journey of terrible discovery with you is foolish.

It isn't fair or right that you have to be nice to people who are hurting others to get them to stop doing so. Unfortunately, it is also the only successful way to get most of the general public to get on board, because you need them to stop thinking that you're an rear end in a top hat before they'll agree to do anything difficult to help you out.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Neither anger nor politeness works because racism is propagated by and for corrupt elites and thus attempting to fix it by policing the attitudes of random whites is a misguided attempt, institutional change is needed instead. I hope this was helpful

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tetracube posted:

Neither anger nor politeness works because racism is propagated by and for corrupt elites and thus attempting to fix it by policing the attitudes of random whites is a misguided attempt, institutional change is needed instead. I hope this was helpful

And how are we going to get the people in charge of these institutions to change them? Perhaps by convincing others of the need for change?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

This whole conversation is pointless wankery

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Alls I'm saying is marginalized folks are entitled to their anger. Whether or not that's the best strategy according to the people who stand to benefit the most from a calm, peaceful status quo is a topic for tacticians and strategists

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Puppy Time posted:

And how are we going to get the people in charge of these institutions to change them? Perhaps by convincing others of the need for change?

Well yes, as opposed to no change and an attitude readjustment :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Plom Bar posted:

Alls I'm saying is marginalized folks are entitled to their anger. Whether or not that's the best strategy according to the people who stand to benefit the most from a calm, peaceful status quo is a topic for tacticians and strategists

They are entitled to it, but if they want to be entitled to anything else they have to convince those who currently hold the keys to everything else that "the good ones" are the majority, not a small portion of the marginalized population as those who hold the power currently believe.

It may not be right or just, but neither is life.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

:five:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Plom Bar posted:

No one respects a tantrum

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

mng posted:

kill whitey

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

No one respects a tantrum

Not the best analogy

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Whilst I agree with killing all whites an all out race war would only allow the nefarious Chinese to slip in and take our country and I think we all agree no one likes that despite their delicious delicious cuisine

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Available at Wal*Mart

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
My friend had an uncle who killed himself by guillotine.

Whitey killed him drat self :(

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This conversation is funnier when you start supporting the rape/torture/murder of white people in south Africa

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

duck monster posted:

I think white people are terrible.

Seems a bit harsh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cumslut1895 posted:

This conversation is funnier when you start supporting the rape/torture/murder of white people in south Africa

That is harsh, expulsion is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

not big enough