Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what do you mean area movement? like squares or hexes? if so you might check out dust tactics

Bistromatic posted:

No idea about their exact scale butthe Conan boardgame and Mythic Battles both use area movement and are pretty cool from the demo games i played. I can ask a friend about the scale if youre interested.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I hesitated to mention the conan boardgame. It's area movement skirmish, but it uses boards, not terrain on a tabletop. I mean, you could make terrain on a tabletop and define some areas and make your own scenario and play it I guess, but that's putting a lot of work on you.

It's also skirmishing on quite a small scale; each player plays usually just or maybe two dudes, and then there's a GM type player who plays all the enemies.

Yes, sorry, was indeed talking about stuff like Conan (or Bonaparte at Marengo), but done with normal miniature wargame terrain rather than as pre-printed boardgames. Guess it hasn't been done?

Irate Tree posted:

This guy's converted Imperial Grot army is loving amazing and adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86igT9cx44U

That's the kind of poo poo GW should be encouraging. People actually engaging with the setting rather than just the rules. There's a reason Bandai Namco (IIRC) calls themselves a character licencor rather than an animation and games producer.

Have an of the rules previews mentioned anything about making it easier for players to ~forge~ their narratives? IG doctrines, Chapter traits, Tyranid mutations, Vehicle construction rules... Actually, heck, have they said yet how army construction is going to work at all?

Edit: I guess "Open play is the most flexible, and easiest to get started with, allowing you to use any miniatures you like." sounds pretty flexible...

Edit 2: just noticed the "Explore the Factions" page lists Craftworlds, Harlequins, Dark Eldar and the, uh, Ynnari as separate factions. Surely they wouldn't do that if they were planning on consolidating them?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah, it gets worse. There's a pair of lady bikers called Kum Enforcers.

That's what I do on the weekends.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hra Mormo posted:

:cumpolice: is a strangely appropriate smiley, and I never thought I'd ever say that :stare:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You missed the point entirely. Warhammer (which I should have specified to be 40k) isn't just played as a tournement game. Narrative games and campaigns are extremely popular, and are this most common way to play in an organized format. In these formats, it places more emphasis on fun then wining, and the tiers lists mostly disappear. Not everyone hounds Tournement reporters for lists so they can try them on Saturday. It sad that Warmahoards fosters such a system.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You could literally smear poop on a book and it'd be a good rulebook for the "forge the narrative" crowd.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

You missed the point entirely. Warhammer (which I should have specified to be 40k) isn't just played as a tournement game. Narrative games and campaigns are extremely popular, and are this most common way to play in an organized format. In these formats, it places more emphasis on fun then wining, and the tiers lists mostly disappear. Not everyone hounds Tournement reporters for lists so they can try them on Saturday. It sad that Warmahoards fosters such a system.

Dakka?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Icon Of Sin posted:

:cumpolice: is a strangely appropriate smiley, and I never thought I'd ever say that :stare:

I'm making a Kum robbery with my gang Moola and scalded schlong.

...turns out moola already stole all of it. It's all gone. :negative:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Panzeh posted:

You could literally smear poop on a book and it'd be a good rulebook for the "forge the narrative" crowd.

What do you have against people playing games they like to have fun?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hixson posted:

You mean, besides the horrendous odour driving everyone else out of the store?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

4chan/tg

Hixson posted:

Nothing, but if their fun is playing Budsy 3D and then insisting that I play as well, and that glitches don't matter because it's still FUN, I am under no obligation to humor them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Please do not defame Ulillillia by equating him with Warhammer players.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

A sustainable and profitable business model; GW is making all the right decisions!

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 7, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I flipped through the Osprey Ronin ruleset and it had rolling for turn priority, the same thing AOS has but written in 2013. :vomarine: Guess I'll have to see if test of honour is any better.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

I flipped through the Osprey Ronin ruleset and it had rolling for turn priority, the same thing AOS has but written in 2013. :vomarine: Guess I'll have to see if test of honour is any better.

Well it still has alternating activations. It's not like you get two whole turns in a row without a player responding to you. It's really not that big of a deal.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah rolling for initiative with alternating activations is fine. That mechanic is even a key part of Guild Ball's momentum mechanic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Have you found the morale rules to be good? I'm looking at the leadership scores and modifiers and it looks like it's fast and brutal and leads to routing massacres, which it should, but suffering an unlucky critical to get to wavering seems to be easy and the morale rolls are harsh.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

Have you found the morale rules to be good? I'm looking at the leadership scores and modifiers and it looks like it's fast and brutal and leads to routing massacres, which it should, but suffering an unlucky critical to get to wavering seems to be easy and the morale rolls are harsh.

I haven't played it. I've just played Test of Honour which is very "light". We intend to play Ronin in the near future, but we intend to play a lot of games.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Crossposting because who doesn't love dinos?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

The Operational Combat Series has initiative rules that don't have any modifiers, but, crucially, the opponent has some input on what happens in the opponent's turn. I wrote blog post about this very thing.

Context in system rules matter, and a mechanism that works for one game might not be good in another.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Tekopo posted:

Context in system rules matter, and a mechanism that works for one game might not be good in another.
Indeed; see above under "random movement" and "Chain of Command." Much of the issue has to do with exactly what it is you're trying to model with your game's mechanics, and how those things you're trying to model will interact over the course of the game.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hra Mormo posted:

Don't kink shame tia

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
So my friend and I were at our local game store for warmachine tonight. As we are setting up our game some guy walks up to us and asks what we are playing. This is a fairly common occurrence so we think nothing of it and give him a brief run down. He says he plays 40k and then for some reason starts getting into technical terms about the size of our game (rather than talking just like skirmish or something hes trying to get into like if its a platoon or whatever). This sprawls into him talking about military organizations and such. We mostly ignore him and continue setting up. Out of no where and with no provocation he suddenly calls Native Americans savages (although he tried to deflect this comment by saying he does not view them that way but that's how they were viewed at the time...) before starting to talk about the right of conquest making things okay...

My friend just basically turned to him and said, you can go now, and the guy eventually leaves. I turned to my friend and said that I was pretty sure we were like a couple minutes from this random guy saying that Hitler did nothing wrong...

Anyway, it was an odd day at the game store, thought the death thread should know. I'm really glad the random guy doing an ethnography for his highschool on our group was not there for that conversation...

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Pash posted:

I'm really glad the random guy doing an ethnography for his highschool on our group was not there for that conversation...

way to bury the lede, drat

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ok I haven't been paying attention, did they seriously reverse the shopping cart thing finally? Meeplemart slowly put up like a thousand warhammer products on their webstore.

And man, these prices are bad. Mostly. Is Burning of Prospero out of print?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Spiderdrake posted:

Ok I haven't been paying attention, did they seriously reverse the shopping cart thing finally?

They did!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorefiend posted:

Yeah rolling for initiative with alternating activations is fine. That mechanic is even a key part of Guild Ball's momentum mechanic.

Same thing with malifaux. You can even spend limited resources to try to help you on a key turn.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Hra Mormo posted:

You can call me the Kum Chieftain:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wanna head-swap those troops and make 'em greenskins. :orks101:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Kum Enforce, My Lord

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pash posted:

So my friend and I were at our local game store for warmachine tonight. As we are setting up our game some guy walks up to us and asks what we are playing. This is a fairly common occurrence so we think nothing of it and give him a brief run down. He says he plays 40k and then for some reason starts getting into technical terms about the size of our game (rather than talking just like skirmish or something hes trying to get into like if its a platoon or whatever). This sprawls into him talking about military organizations and such. We mostly ignore him and continue setting up. Out of no where and with no provocation he suddenly calls Native Americans savages (although he tried to deflect this comment by saying he does not view them that way but that's how they were viewed at the time...) before starting to talk about the right of conquest making things okay...

My friend just basically turned to him and said, you can go now, and the guy eventually leaves. I turned to my friend and said that I was pretty sure we were like a couple minutes from this random guy saying that Hitler did nothing wrong...

Anyway, it was an odd day at the game store, thought the death thread should know. I'm really glad the random guy doing an ethnography for his highschool on our group was not there for that conversation...

Historicals are really bad for this. At one game some friends were at, there was a guy in a scooter that targeted a Chinese character because "I hate Chinamen." And then there was the Legends of the Old West game I played in - "Let's shoot some redskins!" Seriously, guys? Its two thousand loving seventeen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

Historicals are really bad for this. At one game some friends were at, there was a guy in a scooter that targeted a Chinese character because "I hate Chinamen." And then there was the Legends of the Old West game I played in - "Let's shoot some redskins!" Seriously, guys? Its two thousand loving seventeen.

Yeah man, you can't just go around shooting athletes from a professional football team

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
On the other hand I had a pickup game of Not-40k with a cool asian-american dude who had a lovingly converted Shinto themed White Scars army. He got to use them in a game that didn't take 6 hours to play and he really liked it.

But yeah gently caress most historicals. I've never had outright racism (and I live in Florida!) but the amount of Wehraboos that were steaming at my brother's neon-pink German army was hilarious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does your bro have a colorful Stug too?

The one sad thing about world of tanks was not having a crossover with GUP. At least they had that for world of warships so you can play with colorful cruisers and destroyers and cause all sorts of rage. :getin:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yep, Runewars is going to do great. 8 infantry models for $25.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yep, Runewars is going to do great. 8 infantry models for $25.

:lol: Yeah after getting the starter box, my friend and I realized that just like Descent, it's just a testing platform for a future L5R game which we'd rather play instead.

The game is still better than AOS so i don't know what you're on about

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

The one sad thing about world of tanks was not having a crossover with GUP. At least they had that for world of warships so you can play with colorful cruisers and destroyers and cause all sorts of rage. :getin:

that M3 is kawaii as gently caress :swoon:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
it's the day before 8th edition launches

A video comes up on Warhammer TV

it's Duncan, he's staring at you

he takes out a large brush

dips it in paint, doesn't thin it

smears it over his face

video fades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYBXRwsDjY

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chill la Chill posted:

why does the big one at the bottom only have one childe solider? or is she actually a 10000 year old demon who can create copies of herself to pilot it?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: Yeah after getting the starter box, my friend and I realized that just like Descent, it's just a testing platform for a future L5R game which we'd rather play instead.

Cost. Considering that, from what I've heard, it takes two base boxes to make "playable" units for the game, you're looking at a similar army cost to AoS/WFB.

Also, I didn't mention AoS, so there was no need to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Chill la Chill posted:

L5R?

• Locked thread