Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't choose the game, the game chooses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guw posted:

You guys should try Paladins. It's so shameless, I swear it's actually developed by Gameloft. Really makes me appreciate how Overwatch feels.

The best part about Paladins is that unlike Titanfall 2 or OW or whatever, most of the people who play it are quite bad, so I can actually win for once.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there really not an official anything anywhere of what games make use of what surround sound standards? Is it meant to be undocumented?

edit: other than for Dice games which all seem to have explicit settings for surround sound.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there really not an official anything anywhere of what games make use of what surround sound standards? Is it meant to be undocumented?

edit: other than for Dice games which all seem to have explicit settings for surround sound.

Shouldn't there be an option in the PS4's settings to default to surround sound?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shouldn't there be an option in the PS4's settings to default to surround sound?
Yeah but that doesn't tell me what games actually make use of it in a meaningful way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked the Prey demo just fine, though I'm skeptical about whether it's a $60 experience. Alien: Isolation was exactly fine at the $35 or so I spent on it on sale and Prey reminded me of Alien Isolation with guns. Combat was pretty janky, though I managed to do alright throwing explosive canisters and shotgunning mimics when they get the jump on me. I'd be curious to see just how intricate the gameplay elements can get, though; the game seems to promise a lot of interacting elements and systems and its ability to deliver on that promise would be the deciding factor for me.

The game is absolutely worth $60. It's really blown me away, and judging by the shift from skepticism>praise in the Prey thread it's had the same effect on a lot of other people also.

Basically, it took the DOOM route.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It IS way better then the demo, however I wouldn't say "blown me away" or even that it was as big an increase of quality from the demo to the actual game as the Doom demo.

The game just starts slow/lovely and gets better from there, the demo was the slow/lovely part. For reasons. Im having fun with it, but after I don't feel the need to play through it again and Im happy I rented it. I would NOT pay $60 for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:lol: if you don't mindlessly buy games you'll probably never play in a foolish attempt to fill the massive void in your soul

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

glam rock hamhock posted:

:lol: if you don't mindlessly buy games you'll probably never play in a foolish attempt to fill the massive void in your soul

I play my games but the massive void is still there

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

The trick is to spend at least as much on alcohol as you do on games, that way you can erase your perception of reality while you play games.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

The trick is to spend at least as much on alcohol as you do on games, that way you can erase your perception of reality while you play games.

This but marijuana.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lakbay posted:

That's where the food goes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went ahead and got The Order for 4 bucks. :toot:

Half the price of a movie ticket so what the hell

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I went ahead and got The Order for 4 bucks. :toot:

Half the price of a movie ticket so what the hell

You'll most likely get your money's worth. I didn't feel ripped off at $10 (though more would have been pushing it).

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Yall are depressing me have you heard of Jesus?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Yall are depressing me have you heard of Jesus?

He tried to preach fellowship and caring for others so we nailed him to a tree I believe?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sadly, it's sounding like NBA Playgrounds is not that great...

Anyone who walks in two worlds (PC land) have any input on Human Fall Flat?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

John F Bennett posted:

Many do not age well.

I bought Deus Ex HR three times over the years and never got around to playing it each time until 2016, which was when I realized I did not like Deus Ex HR

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I still have World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy XV sitting on my shelf because I was distracted at the end of last year by grad school and then this year hit with NieR, Horizon, and Persona 5.

Goddamn there are too many games out.

Can't stop won't stop

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Feenix posted:

The review I watched said it was a little to heavily reliant on the elbow flailing and sucked that it didn't have a mode to play against friends online, but the dev said that's coming shortly.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Article is click bait but lol the first thing it says is
"1. Don't quit in frustration after the first couple hours"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/05/09/ten-things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-started-prey/#792e6fc144d4

So Im not alone in thinking the start of Prey is poo poo. It does get better. But if they were going for a disempowered to empowered curve with the game, they forgot that games still have to be fun and engaging while you are disempowered.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Feenix posted:

I've heard it's lots of fun.

I'm waiting to get out of work to find out for myself

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guw posted:

You guys should try Paladins. It's so shameless, I swear it's actually developed by Gameloft. Really makes me appreciate how Overwatch feels.

is it free?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bombadilillo posted:

But if they were going for a disempowered to empowered curve with the game, they forgot that games still have to be fun and engaging while you are disempowered.

I thought the first Dishonored did a good job of this, both at the start of the game and the obligatory *your powers have been zapped for story reasons* section. You still felt like a total badass ninja bodyguard/assassin.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Article is click bait but lol the first thing it says is
"1. Don't quit in frustration after the first couple hours"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/05/09/ten-things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-started-prey/#792e6fc144d4

So Im not alone in thinking the start of Prey is poo poo. It does get better. But if they were going for a disempowered to empowered curve with the game, they forgot that games still have to be fun and engaging while you are disempowered.

I was watching a review of the game on YouTube, and I know it's on multiple platforms, but whatever source the guy was using made the game look horrible stuttery at times like it was having massive frame time issues. Is it like hat on PS4? I can't imagine playing something that stutters constantly and not getting violently ill while also being bored out of my skull.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Variable_H posted:

I was watching a review of the game on YouTube, and I know it's on multiple platforms, but whatever source the guy was using made the game look horrible stuttery at times like it was having massive frame time issues. Is it like hat on PS4? I can't imagine playing something that stutters constantly and not getting violently ill while also being bored out of my skull.

I didn't experience anything like this. A couple times it got a bit buggy and my weapon select wheel wouldn't come up for about 1 sec. Quiting to menu and reloading fixed that. So theres a few oddities but Its generally smooth.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of liked the slow burn intro, I was actually thinking that they went pretty fast when they sort of reveal what's actually going on, and then the whole station seems to open up.

Is it as wide-open as they suggest? How big of a gameworld do we have? Deux Ex Human Revolution felt extremely cramped and small, even if they attempted complex environments; is the level design better in that regard?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's pretty wide open off the bat but there's still a bunch of areas gated by ~plot~ that you can't access in the beginning

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm too poor to do this right now and it sucks. I want to buy that Star Heroine game or whatever so I can play it for 15 minutes and forget about it, just like every other game in my collection

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm about halfway through Nioh and i'm still loving it.

However, it does appear that the difficulty is front-loaded because it feels like it is getting gradually easier. Killed a couple of recent bosses handily in my first attempt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I kind of liked the slow burn intro, I was actually thinking that they went pretty fast when they sort of reveal what's actually going on, and then the whole station seems to open up.

Is it as wide-open as they suggest? How big of a gameworld do we have? Deux Ex Human Revolution felt extremely cramped and small, even if they attempted complex environments; is the level design better in that regard?

I just mentioned Deus Ex HR and one of the things I hated about it was precisely that all its environments seemed so small.

This is definitely not the case with Prey. All the spaces feel expansive enough to explore and are interconnected in interesting ways

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

However, it does appear that the difficulty is front-loaded because it feels like it is getting gradually easier. Killed a couple of recent bosses handily in my first attempt.

Naw you got better. If you went back and started a new game you would walk through the first areas no problem too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

This happened to me a lot in Bloodborne because some bosses were so difficult that I ended up being way too over-levelled for later bosses.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This happened to me a lot in Bloodborne because some bosses were so difficult that I ended up being way too over-levelled for later bosses.

Like Souls there are some bosses that are just hard/easy for you. And some that are easy for everyone else that you get stuck on. There were ones I aced and then read how hard they were supposed to be. I really think though, that one the game clicks for you things seem to get easier, but you just got gud.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was definitely insanely overlevelled for Shadows of Yarnham, I finished that fight first go in about three minutes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It becomes most obvious in Nioh when they start throwing the Onryoki at you every other side mission. That thing was a rough first boss that quickly becomes a joke the more you play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Which doesn't even help in that case, since War Tapes is the only option you should ever use for battlefield games unless they started making that separate from your sound configuration.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Naw you got better. If you went back and started a new game you would walk through the first areas no problem too.

Ehhhh. Nioh definitely gets easier as you go along regardless of how good you get.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm interested in NBA playgrounds but with all the promised free updates and the season ending in a month it seems like waiting a bit will result in a better game and on a flash sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Stevie Lee posted:

I've heard it's lots of fun.

I'm waiting to get out of work to find out for myself

In my weakened state, I bought it and Human Fall Flat.

I would have gotten LocRoco Remaster in a loving HEARTBEAT, but that screams "PS PLUS ONE DAY SOON, YO!"

Got an Epic Walt Frazier and Epic Chris Webber in my first 3 packs. :)