Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Guys I am stuck hard on early game hardware labs:

I need to get Lorenzos keycard or something from his body and he is outside somewhere I can't get to. I explored every inch of the map available to me, got the jetpack and all but it seems I can't progress unless I have leverage 3 and I blew all my neuromods on inventory space upgrades. Am I missing some area to progress? please help :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

keyframe posted:

Guys I am stuck hard on early game hardware labs:

I need to get Lorenzos keycard or something from his body and he is outside somewhere I can't get to. I explored every inch of the map available to me, got the jetpack and all but it seems I can't progress unless I have leverage 3 and I blew all my neuromods on inventory space upgrades. Am I missing some area to progress? please help :(

Open the pod bay doors, keyframe

More specifically: You need to EVA to the outside of the station. There is an airlock in the Machine Shop, you need to use the terminal by it to open it

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ymgve posted:

I wonder if the Looking Glass tech is partially based on Typhon tech, the inventor seems to go more and more insane due to the screens, and the phantoms ask about what you see in the glass.

He's think he's suffering memory loss from neuromods, but it's actually alzheimers. :smith:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Back Hack posted:

He's think he's suffering memory loss from neuromods, but it's actually alzheimers. :smith:

Which is extra sad because it's not entirely his memory, there are also shapeshifting aliens messing with him.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whew, fought the Nightmare. My fully upgraded shotgun tore through him, but it was still pretty loving scary just going down a lift in Life Support and just having him waiting for me there out of nowhere. I have to assume it's gonna come back or there'll be more of them - it seems odd to have such a big bad in an out of the way place like that - I wasn't even doing the main story, just exploring a side area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lakbay posted:

Who talks you through the main quest then?

Nobody.

And, like, I mean that. You get some minor direction from other characters who are hanging about, and Alex as usual, but other than that your plot direction is completely gone if you blow January and December away. It's the first time I think I have ever seen that happen. Even Oblivion, which prided itself on letting you kill anybody you wanted, outright wouldn't have any contingencies for the main quest if you killed one of the more plot-important NPCs.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I found december dead on my game. No idea when or how it died :(

A better men than myself would start the game from the beginning, optimizing it to save more people.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tei posted:

I found december dead on my game. No idea when or how it died :(

A better men than myself would start the game from the beginning, optimizing it to save more people.

January killed him.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Nobody.

And, like, I mean that. You get some minor direction from other characters who are hanging about, and Alex as usual, but other than that your plot direction is completely gone if you blow January and December away. It's the first time I think I have ever seen that happen. Even Oblivion, which prided itself on letting you kill anybody you wanted, outright wouldn't have any contingencies for the main quest if you killed one of the more plot-important NPCs.

Yeah I did this for my first run and I'm having a great time just wandering around this giant rear end space station finding stuff to do.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm still at work so I can't try it but do you still have a main story entry in the journal or is that completely gone too if you blow up January

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Morrowind let you kill Vivec and still beat the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Nobody.

not to hamstring prey here because i respect it for having it but morrowind, oblivion's predecessor, let you kill plot sensitive npc's with a little popup "you done hosed up", and included a way of finishing the plot through brute force even if you continued on.

now, as to whether or not a player would legitimately be able to figure out how to do so without consulting a guide is probably more up in the air

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah but that was when Bethesda Game Studios were actually good

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Pretty hosed up that the best way to get organic material is probably to drag some human corpses together and drop recycler charges on them.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I am really enjoying System Shock 2 2 so far. This game owns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

*A morbid scene at the morgue, corpses twisted from fear, their heads unnaturaly transformed after horrific deaths, some of them seemed to have tried to actually shelter themselves in the body drawers but failed, my god*

"Oooh, this one has a banana pudding in his pocket, yum!"

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not sure any enemy is actually required to be killed. Can you bypass the elevator and never use it by just taking a long way round with trips through the guts? During my second playthrough a technopath locked down the power plant when going thru life support but that didn't happen on my first playthrough.

On my first playthrough, I didn't head to the power plant until the story led me there, so I had to kill something to enter. On my second playthrough, I went there really early, the door was unlocked and I could enter freely, and when the story had me going there, the door was still unlocked.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Palpek posted:

*A morbid scene at the morgue, corpses twisted from fear, their heads unnaturaly transformed after horrific deaths, some of them seemed to have tried to actually shelter themselves in the body drawers but failed, my god*

Hello sir, I am PROUD of my Transtar Gourmet achievement. Will Mitchell and Skillet are v. proud of me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Palpek posted:

It reminds me of Bioshock Infinite, when I would scramble through a gunfight, ducking behind poo poo and firing shots back at the enemies while desperately hoovering up every scrap of edible material into my birdo mouth. Whole pineapples and cans of ham and boxes of candy, all dumped down the endless gullet of Booker DeWitt.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mymla posted:

Pretty hosed up that the best way to get organic material is probably to drag some human corpses together and drop recycler charges on them.

Is there anything good for "farming" steel? That's my main resource bottleneck right now and most of the objects laying around don't seem to give much. Spare guns give a good amount but I'm more concerned with which non-inventory debris gives a good yield. There's always the resource glitch, but I'd rather have a specific item to look out for so I can play the game without abusing bugs the first time through.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there anything good for "farming" steel? That's my main resource bottleneck right now and most of the objects laying around don't seem to give much. Spare guns give a good amount but I'm more concerned with which non-inventory debris gives a good yield. There's always the resource glitch, but I'd rather have a specific item to look out for so I can play the game without abusing bugs the first time through.

I've found that the robots give decent amounts of metal. Those machines that summon them often have three charges, so you can summon two, recycle them, and then have one more to actually use.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Minerals are rare for everyone, even on my Typhon only playthrough now. I'd say thorougly explore the Shuttle Bay for lots of steel but I don't know any non-glitch way to get a bunch. Even making a mountain of metal objects and using a recycle grenade doesn't give much.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
More morgue talk:

Can you open the morgue doors to get at the bodies?

Also, you can farm exotic materials by dragging bodies inside the live exam chamber.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Nerf gun the big red manual override button through the window or use Mimic Matter/Remote Manipulation

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How the hell can i repair my suit? Im only at the beginning, (lobby and hardware labs) but so far my suit is at like 10 and i havent found anything that i can use to repair it

also its funny how my game belatedly pops up tutorials. I've entered the teleconferencing room for like the 4th time and it just now popped up a message about sneaking around or using the gloo gun... It did that as well with the 'get anywhere from here' pop up when i went back to the beginning of the lobby to see if i missed the two neuromods that were only in the demo apparently

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 9, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bardeh posted:

I've found that the robots give decent amounts of metal. Those machines that summon them often have three charges, so you can summon two, recycle them, and then have one more to actually use.

Guess I'll start recycling operator bodies more often. Even with the bottleneck and playing on Nightmare resources haven't been much of a problem anyway, I haven't actually run out of ammo since towards the beginning of the game.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How the hell can i repair my suit? Im only at the beginning, (lobby and hardware labs) but so far my suit is at like 10 and i havent found anything that i can use to repair it

Suit repair kits are plentiful, you should be able to find some if you search around. If not, an engineering operator will heal it back to full if you can find one.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Where? I have to be cautious due to the fact that a mimic attack eats like half of my health at this point, but ive been through a good portion of the lobby without coming across a kit or operator

youd think thered at least be something in your office...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 9, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

I wonder if the secret ending is "beat the game without attacking or killing anything".

For those who have finished it, does it seem like pacifist run would be even remotely possible on, say, the easiest difficulty? Or are there forced fights that have absolutely no way to bypass them?

I havent gotten to the end of the game and any reveals but guessing at the hints maybe the secret ending is if you just keep trying to escape in alex's pod. how many morgan copies can there be?

Would certainly meet the qualification of 'subversive'

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 9, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

When it comes to suit repair kits for the life of me I can't understand why you can't use them from the action wheel. You can trigger medkits and psi hypos there but to fill the third bar always visible on your screen you have to go to the inventory. It doesn't make sense.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also if you kill January, does it mean that December's side quest continues in a different way as it doesn't get killed?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

also its funny how my game belatedly pops up tutorials. I've entered the teleconferencing room for like the 4th time and it just now popped up a message about sneaking around or using the gloo gun... It did that as well with the 'get anywhere from here' pop up when i went back to the beginning of the lobby to see if i missed the two neuromods that were only in the demo apparently

Good news, at the end of the hardware labs is a large workshop room with an operator dispenser that will sort you out.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Feels like a developer oversight or maybe suit integrity was really hard to lower in an earlier version.

Speaking of earlier versions I was watching trailers and I saw an Oxygen bar come up on the UI. Is that anywhere in the game or was that scrapped?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Where? I have to be cautious due to the fact that a mimic attack eats like half of my health at this point, but ive been through a good portion of the lobby without coming across a kit or operator

The kits are all over the place, if you've been thorough up to this point chances are you might even have some in your inventory already and didn't notice. The engineering operators are scattered around, but I know for sure that there's a dispenser for them in the hardware labs in the same large room that has the airlock.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I have a save file right at the end of the game. Is it worth hunting for achievements / side quests at that point or are there a number of things blocked off?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

Speaking of earlier versions I was watching trailers and I saw an Oxygen bar come up on the UI. Is that anywhere in the game or was that scrapped?

I haven't seen one yet after 12 or so hours, and thank gently caress for that. It's nice to be able to fly around outside the station and explore without another resource to manage. I get the feeling that the O2 bottles you see everywhere are a relic of a system they scrapped because they look like items you might collect more than the incidental recycling fodder that everything else is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

n4 posted:

I have a save file right at the end of the game. Is it worth hunting for achievements / side quests at that point or are there a number of things blocked off?

Nothing is blocked off even up until the very tail end. However with all the advanced enemies running around I'd say that getting around is too much of a pain in the rear end to be worth it at that point.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I haven't seen one yet after 12 or so hours, and thank gently caress for that. It's nice to be able to fly around outside the station and explore without another resource to manage. I get the feeling that the O2 bottles you see everywhere are a relic of a system they scrapped because they look like items you might collect more than the incidental recycling fodder that everything else is.

They work as explosives if you throw them, so they're still more than just recycling fodder even if they're a holdover from a scrapped oxygen system. There's also a voice in the shuttle bay saying to be careful about running out of oxygen, but your suit at least appears to have an infinite resource.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Palpek posted:

Also if you kill January, does it mean that December's side quest continues in a different way as it doesn't get killed?

Someone here said that he doesn't get blown up and that he says he'll meet you in the arbatorum or something, so it either branches entirely or it just provides an easier way to getting the bad ending

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

poor life choice posted:

I am really enjoying System Shock 2 2 so far. This game owns.

All the gaming mags already hyped Bioshock 1 as the System Shock 2 successor. I think the rites of succession are getting a bit mixed up. This looks more like a bastard of Bioshock, graphically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Prey owes more directly gameplay-wise to System Shock. It borrows visual aesthetics and narrative frameworks from BioShock while making them less terrible over-the-top