Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I think the NHL wants Kovalchuk back because he's a Russian superstar, and in general it is best for the league to have the best talent there is. It probably also helps to bring Russians over when their choice is coming to the NHL or playing in the Olympics, because it gives them a little bit more leverage when they're trying to push the WC over the Olympics. Small things, but Kovy coming back can only be good for the NHL.

It makes perfect sense for the NHL, the Devils and Kovalchuk. The league gets a star player back, the Devils get out of the crippling weight of that contract and Kovie probably stands to make a bit more money short term. What I don't get is why the NHLPA isn't throwing a bit more of a stink. They have fought several very bitter contract disputes to keep contracts guaranteed. They've allowed occasionally concessions for players on one year deals who fail to make the NHL to rip up their deal if they get a better contract in Europe, but this is an entirely different kettle of fish. It essentially says that contracts are subject to rewrite if convenient to all parties, something that they were steadfastly opposed to with Luongo.

It's not the biggest issue right now, but you know the league's lawyers are going to point to the fact that the NHLPA didn't have an issue with it it when teams start deciding the're not interested in continuing to pay guys who aren't producing. It was the same thing with the Richards contract.

The NHLPA has let both of those long term contracts evaporate for no good reason that I can see. I assume they know what they're doing, but this feels like the league starting to push what 'guaranteed' really means in a contract so they can use it as a bargaining tool in the future. Why concede any ground on a point you've endured multiple lockouts to protect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Luongo's request was to rip his up and immediately sign a new one.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe 3? He was second in scoring in Russia last year and has a track record of being an effective NHL scorer. Radulov came back on a 1 year $5.75M deal and McKenzie said his minimum ask is now 4 or 5 years "well north of $6M" as a UFA. With the cap going up, I don't see how $7M+ for Kovie is out of the question.

like i said i haven't watched kovy since his departure, but i'd have to think his age could be a barrier to 3+ year term. i'd be pretty nervous about giving a guy a $6M+ contract that takes him to age 37+ after he's been out of the NHL for 4 years

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Ray Shero posted:

like i said i haven't watched jagr since his departure, but i'd have to think his age could be a barrier to 3+ year term. i'd be pretty nervous about giving a guy a $6M+ contract that takes him to age 37+ after he's been out of the NHL for 4 years

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still wouldn't give Jagr more than 2 years. One joint injury and he's done for good.

I don't mean at hockey, I mean he'll die.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jagr signed for 1 year at $3.3 mil, though. He still had to prove it, and he's legendary for his fitness whereas Kovalchuk is Russian.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kovy should go to Vegas

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Luongo's request was to rip his up and immediately sign a new one.

If only he'd been patient enough to wait two months like Richards.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

I am utterly baffled the Capitals managed to turn 3-1 into 3-3 given how bad they were getting beat those first four games.

They really weren't though. They probably carried play at least 70% of the time in those games but were susceptible to Pittsburgh's speed and counter attack - which are lethal. Also didn't help that Holtby let in some weak ones and they had a couple of bad bounces. Tomorrow should be more of the same. Game 7 should be all about Holtby and MAF and whether the Pens can create odd-man breaks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Richards didn't want out of his contract, and ultimately it was a buyout that hit LA with recapture.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Richards didn't want out of his contract, and ultimately it was a buyout that hit LA with recapture.

It ended up being a negotiated settlement. The buyout and recapture penalty for Richards would've been far worse than the ~$1.5M they pay each year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

glynnenstein posted:

Jagr signed for 1 year at $3.3 mil, though. He still had to prove it, and he's legendary for his fitness whereas Kovalchuk is Russian.

the point is it was dumb to make him prove it, you absolutely gamble on guys like Kovalchuk and Jagr.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I suspect Kovalchuk can still fetch a decent return. Not extravagant but you should be able to get at least one quality asset.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Yeah like, obviously he's old but I'm sure a Stanley Cup contender would take him any day of the week while they still have a window open.

Alternatively, McPhee might be interested in him and go full Vegas золотые рыцари. They won't be cup contenders but bringing in exciting talent for fans to watch in the first few years seems like a good way to make sure interest stays.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I suspect that even for all his righteous love of money he may want to win the Cup. I'm pretty sure he stays in New Jersey if they were still a contender. I think that time in Atlanta really burned him on playing for bad teams.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Lets all keep pretending he isn't going to the Rangers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Lets all keep pretending he isn't going to the Rangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Actually now that I think about it, Tampa might be a fit if Kovalchuk signs a one or two year deal for somewhere around 5-6m. There are young-ish guys that will want money+term that Tampa can't really afford to give if they want to keep their more talented young players like Kucherov and Drouin (specifically Palat and Johnson) that they could potentially trade to New Jersey. Despite missing the playoffs this year I'd still say they're a contender with that roster and Kovalchuk is certainly good enough to fill the void, assuming one of Palat or Johnson gets traded, and help keep that championship window open. Fits his request of Florida or NY too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The best thing about that Jagr debacle is the Flyers promptly eliminated the Pens in the playoffs the same year they signed him. Thanks Ray.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

How many points do you think Buchnevich puts up playing with Hischier?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That would suck, having that great player on a contending team.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That would suck, having that great player on a contending team.

We don't need Kovy. He's 36 years old. I don't want to give anything up for him. The defense is bad.

Has Kovy switched to defense? If so I retract my statement. Otherwise, no thank you.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I'm not missing anything and the devils can retain salary on kovalchuk too, right? Maybe they think their window is open until guys like cammalleri's deal is over but they could do something like give him a 8-10MMx3 deal and retain half of that and maybe get 2 firsts and a roster player.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Matt Zerella posted:

We don't need Kovy. He's 36 years old. I don't want to give anything up for him. The defense is bad.

Has Kovy switched to defense? If so I retract my statement. Otherwise, no thank you.

he's 34 but ya, defense is probably priority for the Rangers, but I still believe the Rangers are stupid and cannot resist the allure of a former star player.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he's 34 but ya, defense is probably priority for the Rangers, but I still believe the Rangers are stupid and cannot resist the allure of a former star player.

My bad, I thought he was 36. I guess if we lose Grabner it's a need. But not one I'd give up Buch for.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
He seems like a good fit for the Islanders, but I just checked and they have almost no cap space somehow.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

He seems like a good fit for the Islanders, but I just checked and they have almost no cap space somehow.

the best 4th line in the nhl doesn't come cheap

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

OldSenileGuy posted:

Halak for 4.5? Leddy at 5.5, Boychuck at 6 per. Grabovski 5 mil to rest his queasy head. Clutterbuck at 3.5 million lmao. Kulemin gets 4.5

Also Tavares at 5.5 but that is not part of the problem.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Matt Zerella posted:

My bad, I thought he was 36. I guess if we lose Grabner it's a need. But not one I'd give up Buch for.

that's fine. i will also accept skjei

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kovalchuk and Schneider to Dallas what is a legit return ok go

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 9, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Their actual salary also goes from 78MM to 84MM, lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I think that'd be a non starter just because you would have to get one of their goalies back

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

T-Bone posted:

Ownership of the team

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

hifi posted:

I think that'd be a non starter just because you would have to get one of their goalies back

3rd overall, honka, something else, both of their poo poo goalies, fine

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Nobody is taking Lehtonen or Niemi, much less both of them without a hell of a bribe or Jim Nill kidnapping their children.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I feel like my proposed bribe is adequate

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

that's fine. i will also accept skjei

from my cold dead hands

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ESPN's hockey coverage was never great but Gary Thorne and this theme song, man, I miss this loving jingle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

bonus in that video description from nearly ten loving years ago:allears:

quote:

Simply put, the NHL needs to divorce VS and reunite with ESPN.

Versus.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
why would the devils have enough leverage to get a top prospect or draft pick for kovalchuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
seems like this is all gravy for the devils - does Kovalchuk have to do a sign and trade through them?

• Locked thread