Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fellow Beetle bro :respek:. I had to sell mine in November to get money to get away from a totally toxic relationship (but both of us are 1000x better than before, surprisingly), but I still have my 73 Dragonbus. I will have another beetle as time goes on, and probably another Super Beetle (though never a curved-window model - I respect them, but it's a 72 or 73 flat-window only version for me), and I'm going to start living vicariously through your posts and anecdotes.

I did everything to mine. Replaced every bushing, every mount, and every single piece of rubber that wasn't the window scrapers. I even put in pop-out windows and daily-drove it for nearly 2-3 years in Phoenix, and another 18 months at 50% duty along with the bus.

I never gave a proper introduction to your thread. While I may not be the air-cooled gurus that 14" and <dude who has that awesome red/gravel black-grey beetle he restored from the ground up, name escapes me rn but massive respect> are, I'm willing to help redneck you along the way if you want cheap, quick, and safe (if ugly) fixes, and tips on things I've learned.

BTW I loved your entry on the photo challenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Raluek posted:

Good man. Power steering and brakes are bougie extravagences we can all do without.

We the proletariat must rise against the capitalistic extravagances of the Bourgeoisie

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's wrong with curved windows on beetles? My grandparents owned half a dozen of the things, and I'd never even heard mention of window problems

E: it has nothing to do with windows and is just indicative of unwanted model year changes, isn't it? :doh:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

OH MY GOD

I thought I had/was experiencing "exploding head syndrome," but it turns out it was this! Once every few months, maybe every six months (but much, much more often as a kid), while trying to fall asleep or while daydreaming in class, I'd see something that looked nearly exactly like that image on the phosphene page, combined with a quick "BWUM," really fast like a gunshot. The "image" from the phosphene, would fade, and the noise would be immediately over, but it would start me awake. There were times as a teenager I would get four or five in a row, 10-30 seconds apart.

MY LIFE HAS MEANING NOW

Thank SciShow, I happened to watch an episode while eating dinner and Hank Green told me what 2 doctors couldn't. Also, don't google phosphenes and auditory hallucinations if you have any hint of hypochondria, it's not a comforting read

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also uh... I've had visual snow most of my life. Hallucinogens did make me a lot more aware of it, and if I happen to do a bit of :350:, I notice it more than I would while sober. (and of course, now that I'm thinking about it, it's a shitload worse than usual... you just did the Rick Roll of visual snow :argh:)

Oh, they're both apparently totally natural and usually transient phenomena that most people occasionally experience. For me though, it's constant and often overstimulating. The only way I could describe the combination I experience is that I live life with the Silent Hill "noise filter" on everything, unless it's bright enough to drown out the underlying static/ripples

It's such a constant aspect of my life, it actually took me until this year to understand that I wasn't just getting "signal noise" worse than everyone else does, I was seeing stuff I shouldn't

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 9, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm in the same boat. Anytime I'm indoors and/or in lower light than bright rear end daylight, it's a bit of a mental battle to drown it out.

It's especially bad when I'm looking at something like a PC monitor. :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have that, to a certain degree.

I also get migraines with auras, which are​ super loving annoying.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
:aaa::respek::aaa:
Well holy poo poo, I didn't know that anyone else knew my pain. Is your night vision kind of weird too? I had trouble learning to navigate at night and used to be unable to read street signs until I learned to repeatedly refocus my eyes to get a clear view of the letters

And according to the rather limited research I've done into it so far, it's either a benign annoyance that has no discernable cause, a quirk with brain metabolism forcing your low-light sensing cells to "see" the heat that they produce, or a big ol red flag for scary neurological and autoimmune diseases. Judging by the fact that I can't remember not seeing the fuzz or ripples, I'm not particularly worried about demyelination of the optic nerve, a stroke, or significant pressure being applied to the optic nerve since I would've also noticed other large problems, such as tremors, rosacea, or death

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
wow how weird there are multiple sufferers of this strange and exceedingly rare visual hallucination disorder in this very thread

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

Well holy poo poo, I didn't know that anyone else knew my pain. Is your night vision kind of weird too? I had trouble learning to navigate at night and used to be unable to read street signs until I learned to repeatedly refocus my eyes to get a clear view of the letters

My night vision is fair. It's not great, but it's not horrific. I can't read street signs at night unless I'm standing next to them, but I've been using smartphone navigation to get around for ages now (coming from someone who drives for a living). Even if I'm driving home, I'll still fire up Google Maps or Waze just to make sure I avoid traffic, construction, etc.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 9, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

wow how weird there are multiple sufferers of this strange and exceedingly rare visual hallucination disorder in this very thread
Doing a quick Google search gives me the impression it's a pretty common thing that loads of people experience in a mild way now and then?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Coming back from Florence on this Saturday during drill, in an FLA ambulance humvee with only 35 hours and 300 miles on it, the transmission made a funny "ping-schff" sound during the 2-3 shift and I only had first gear for the last mile to the nearest exit.

And I was convoy leader and the ENTIRE CONVOY refused to pass as I limped along at redline at 35 mph half on the shoulder.

I'm sorry.

My best/worst incident was during a field training exercise. AT SPEED, the axle detached itself from the front diff, fell to the asphalt, caught, and pogo'd the rear of the vehicle three feet into the air. The driver decided it was a great idea to keep driving down the road another 100 yards on FWD while his brain took the time to process what the gently caress had just happened.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine with more money than he knows what to do with has a big interest in getting this old firehouse and living in it while converting the lower level into a full-on wrencher's paradise. I'm egging him on hard because living vicariously through a friend who has a firehouse seems like a good idea.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

Friend of mine with more money than he knows what to do with has a big interest in getting this old firehouse and living in it while converting the lower level into a full-on wrencher's paradise. I'm egging him on hard because living vicariously through a friend who has a firehouse seems like a good idea.

jesus christ i wish I was this cool

gently caress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We all wish you were that cool

:D

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i set myself up for that

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

scuz posted:

An old firehouse came up for sale near me some time ago, up a really neat old canyon area. It had two engine-length bays and the offices or whatever had already been converted to living space/kitchen/etc. Only a single floor, and a lot smaller than that one though.

They were asking $800,000k - I am a generally content person but I am still filled with angst that I didn't have the means to buy it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Your friend is cool.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-O8_Ja05Gs

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
With the right guy and the right wallet that place could be made baller as gently caress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

imagine this guys: 220v on every wall :fap:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

snail goat posted:

I'm so dependent on cars yelling at me if I leave my headlights on that I've left them on several times now on the Beetle, and either noticed running the dog out or in one case a visiting friend pointed it out to me. I need to look into some sort of after market chime, I really don't want to kill the battery, it's a pain in the rear end to access under the rear seat.

Really you should wire the headlights through a relay if they aren't already, then wire the headlight switch through the ignition switch. There really is never a time when you need headlights on and don't have the keys handy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fuuuuuuck me

finally got to go on vacation for the first time in 3 years, first time since the kiddo was born and today i came into work stress-free, relaxed and well rested

only to find that i will be relocated to another location in about a month or so and my commute is now doubled in mileage and will probably take 45m in and an 60-90m on the way home

if there was ever a sign that it's time to change careers

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 9, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

imagine this guys: 220v on every wall :fap:
I'll be assisting with a lot of the reno (again: egging on hard) so this would/will be happening.

bolind posted:

With the right guy and the right wallet that place could be made baller as gently caress.
Was looking at one of the photos and the phrase "tiered roof-top deck" just popped in there (to borrow another Ghostbusters phrase). He's going to lookit it this week, already spoke with a home finance guy, it's within his budget. Only hang-up is whether someone else offers more than asking :shrug:

BraveUlysses posted:

fuuuuuuck me

finally got to go on vacation for the first time in 3 years, first time since the kiddo was born and today i came into work stress-free, relaxed and well rested

only to find that i will be relocated to another location in about a month or so and my commute is now doubled in mileage and will probably take 45m in and an 60-90m on the way home

if there was ever a sign that it's time to change careers
Signs are everywhere, if you know where to look :eng101: My sign was coming back refreshed, like you, from 5-day vacation and being pissed off at everyone and everything at my job after only two hours and twenty three minutes back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

I've always wanted an open loft bedroom with a fire pole going through my floor to the rest of my "house" which is actually just a garage.
This looks :perfect:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

For maybe $.5 million total after renovations, that is one of the coolest houses that money could buy. I'm just disappointed that I can't find a firepole in the pictures....

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My night vision is fair. It's not great, but it's not horrific. I can't read street signs at night unless I'm standing next to them, but I've been using smartphone navigation to get around for ages now (coming from someone who drives for a living). Even if I'm driving home, I'll still fire up Google Maps or Waze just to make sure I avoid traffic, construction, etc.

I'm supposed to go for a neuro counsel and that driving stuff is what scares me about going. I don't want to have a doctor revoke my license over something that hasn't demonstrably affected my driving for the 8 years I've been behind the wheel. I'm positive that my epileptic uncle was being a douchecanoe, because he is a douchecanoe, to his doctor or the DMV when his license was revoked, but I don't want to take that chance

I can take bad health news, but I loving love to drive

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

An old firehouse came up for sale near me some time ago, up a really neat old canyon area. It had two engine-length bays and the offices or whatever had already been converted to living space/kitchen/etc. Only a single floor, and a lot smaller than that one though.

They were asking $800,000k - I am a generally content person but I am still filled with angst that I didn't have the means to buy it.
Everybody has three mortgages these days.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just showed him https://www.k-bid.com/ and https://restore.tchabitat.org/ . Wasn't sure that he could have gotten any more eager to see the space, but I was wrong! :buddy:

... I feel like a drug dealer.

InitialDave posted:

Everybody has three mortgages these days.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving ceiling fan died in my bedroom, I gotta crank the ac like 5 degrees cooler to sleep comfortably.

Any quick hack things I can check to see if it's a simple fix, like a cap or something?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

isnt it usually the brushes on the motor dying

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I dunno, it's weird. While it was running the other day it suddenly started making a loud buzzing noise (which it makes if I try to spin the blades with the power turned on) and coasted to a stop. If I touch the housing I can feel it vibrating, so the motor's trying to do something. Spins quiet when it's switched off so it's not bearings or anything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

loving ceiling fan died in my bedroom, I gotta crank the ac like 5 degrees cooler to sleep comfortably.

Any quick hack things I can check to see if it's a simple fix, like a cap or something?

Just go to Home Depot and get a new cheap ceiling fan. Unless it's the switch on the fan then it's a cheap fix, otherwise not really worth replacing the motor if its toast.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Enourmo posted:

I dunno, it's weird. While it was running the other day it suddenly started making a loud buzzing noise (which it makes if I try to spin the blades with the power turned on) and coasted to a stop. If I touch the housing I can feel it vibrating, so the motor's trying to do something. Spins quiet when it's switched off so it's not bearings or anything.

It is getting power, go buy a new $30-50 fan and save yourself trouble. Googling or ebay you can find $15 off 50 lowes coupons all day long just FYI

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LloydDobler posted:

Really you should wire the headlights through a relay if they aren't already, then wire the headlight switch through the ignition switch. There really is never a time when you need headlights on and don't have the keys handy.

Unless you don't want to burn out your points from leaving your ignition on for awhile with the motor off :v:

Actually, maybe beetles have an ACC position. But wouldn't that need to tap somewhere besides IGN?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Firehouse is super cool and he should do it. I had similar ideas around an old transmission shop that had a huge office above it you could make a studio apartment and then have a bunch of lifts, tools and general man crap around. Probably not for those who want to spawn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In between meetings, phone interviews, and scheduling movers, I don't think I'm going to have a free minute to do any actual work today.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

In between meetings, phone interviews, and scheduling movers, I don't think I'm going to have a free minute to do any actual work today.

I mostly just help the juniors these days.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Raluek posted:

Unless you don't want to burn out your points from leaving your ignition on for awhile with the motor off :v:

Actually, maybe beetles have an ACC position. But wouldn't that need to tap somewhere besides IGN?

Also while you're re-wiring your headlights, upgrade to electronic ignition.

Seriously, gently caress points.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Boo, the iPhone 4 I've been using since 2011 may finally have ceased functioning. No longer recognises SIM cards. Ah well, switching to the Samsung a friend gave me last year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

This is baller as gently caress.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Do apartments let you buy your own permanent fixtures, or is something that should go through maintenance? That's the only reason I asked at all; I'd rather avoid dropping money on a place I'm not in permanently.

E VV fan, this is a follow-up to my last posts

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Do apartments let you buy your own permanent fixtures, or is something that should go through maintenance? That's the only reason I asked at all; I'd rather avoid dropping money on a place I'm not in permanently.

What kind of fixture? We're not allowed to do anything to ceiling lights or fans where we live and painting is forbidden.

• Locked thread