Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
fuuukkkin beer hat hell yeah I always forget those I don't watch enough sports anymore

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My grandma apparently said something kind of racist during a Native American drum song during commencement.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

My grandma apparently said something kind of racist during a Native American drum song during commencement.

Don't keep us in suspense

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

what is alcohol related paraphernalia beyond a cup or flask?

do people still do the beer bong thing?

Yeah, they apparently mean primarily flasks, but the poo poo I've seen people plan so far is beyond dedication. A grad student buddy of mine showed me how he worked the hose of his camelbak through his gown, to cover up the nozzle with the reverse stole thing grad students get, and two chicks I'm graduating with are bringing motherfucking drinking bras.

There's also an open and very public invite from two fraternities and a sorority to pregame before commencement, parents welcome (!). And it's not a classy reception type of deal like one might think, with speeches and everyone getting a flute of cheap prosecco at the entrance, it's legit college-tier pregaming with beer pong, red solo cups and poo poo, complete with some parents getting proper drunk.

I called shenanigans and was promptly shown pictures from last year's commencement this chick hosted as president of her sorority.

It's equal parts cool and weird, but seeing folks in their fifties wear college gear will never look normal to me, I guess. :shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't keep us in suspense
They did their thing and I guess she loudly said something like "That's what they call music huh!?" A bunch of people heard her.

The commencement speaker we got wasn't all that great so I mentioned that in the last couple of years Al Franken had done it and her stupid church friends don't like him so she doesn't like him. Blah blah blah.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Can anyone recommend a good citation program for word that can use the MHRA citation style? Asking for my partner who is doing an MA in English Lit. through an online course [Open University] in the UK.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I like EndNote personally, but I think it's really a personal preference thing

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turned in my final project, thus capping off the most difficult semester in my entire academic career. Spent an average of 20 hours a week on one single course on top of working full time and traveling.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Turns out that, this morning, when one of my profs said that today we'd write the final, he really meant that we would write the final exam in class today and then take the exam later in the week. Holy moley, what a break.

Meantime, I'm about to get murdered by two other exams, so here goes. :suicide:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Burt posted:

Can anyone recommend a good citation program for word that can use the MHRA citation style? Asking for my partner who is doing an MA in English Lit. through an online course [Open University] in the UK.

I found the built in in citation functionality of Word suited my needs for my master's program.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What are people bringing with them to class for a masters? Pen and paper or a laptop? What's the go to calculator to get these days? I haven't been to real class in over 10 years and need to figure out how to become a student again.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

lightpole posted:

What are people bringing with them to class for a masters? Pen and paper or a laptop? What's the go to calculator to get these days? I haven't been to real class in over 10 years and need to figure out how to become a student again.

I feel like that is going to depend heavily on both the Masters you are after (Computer science is going to be more laptop heavy than say, art history) as well as the person. Personally I found for my CS (undergrad) degree, I retained more from hand writing notes in class than using a laptop to try and take notes, but I also struggle with being easily distracted when I have a computer in front of me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I really have no idea what to expect as I haven't been able to physically show up and check out the programs or get hold of anyone in the program to go over it but half of it will be an MBA and the other half will be engineering management so maybe light calculus at most for math and a bunch of word processing? I wish I knew how much calculus I'm going to need as the only math I've done outside of simple algebra was studying for the GRE. I also haven't written a real paper in awhile so I'm probably screwed there as well. I think I would struggle in high school, I'm really not sure why I'm doing this.

Was really just hoping I could show up in September and everything would magically work out.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 9, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Pen and a notebook is more likely to lead to retention (over laptop). Some classes will require a laptop though, then you'll just be surfing and not listening

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Hah, that's what I figured. I can make that work, just have to remember to write legibly this time around so I can read my notes. Is grad school like business casual or just straight casual? I haven't had the option of choosing my outfit in class anytime this millenia.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lightpole posted:

Hah, that's what I figured. I can make that work, just have to remember to write legibly this time around so I can read my notes. Is grad school like business casual or just straight casual? I haven't had the option of choosing my outfit in class anytime this millenia.

my program was full of people who were also working so there was a mix of business casual and suits. full-time students usually wore at least jeans.

the undergrad outfit of PJ's or garbage clothing was frowned upon.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the undergrad outfit of PJ's or garbage clothing was frowned upon.

On the one hand I am semi disappointed I never had this option. On the other, I just wore the same uniform every day of the week and only washed it when I felt like I REALLY needed to look good.

Cool, it's California and the Engineering program shouldn't have a problem with jeans and the MBA won't be too fancy either.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lightpole posted:

On the one hand I am semi disappointed I never had this option. On the other, I just wore the same uniform every day of the week and only washed it when I felt like I REALLY needed to look good.

Cool, it's California and the Engineering program shouldn't have a problem with jeans and the MBA won't be too fancy either.

that being said if you show up for a group presentation wearing jeans and a hoodie, your group mates hate you

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
MBA is like 30% about learning stuff and 70% about making connections with other people. Just go business casual the first few days and then adjust accordingly to the group trends. You don't want to be the odd man out, and reading the situation is part of the skill set you should be getting from the program.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

lightpole posted:

If you're doing anything in finance a $20-30 financial calculator is all you will probably need unless you just want the bells and whistles of a scientific calculator.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I can't wait to start my masters program. If I can. Gonna fight real hard to. It's a personal goal as well as a smart one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

that being said if you show up for a group presentation wearing jeans and a hoodie, your group mates hate you

FT MBA here. Currently wearing athletic shorts, shirt and ball cap. Group presentation in 15 minutes. That said, I got suited up yesterday for an external consulting presentation, and will again Thursday. This one I just don't give a poo poo about.

Regarding general day to day, wear business casual or abide the three item rule (pants, shirt, tie) for the first few weeks until you get it figured out. Ask ahead about the many social events. For info sessions or coffee chats, business casual minimum.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 9, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

TBeats posted:

If you're doing anything in finance a $20-30 financial calculator is all you will probably need unless you just want the bells and whistles of a scientific calculator.

I think the Engineering masters has quite a few classes I wanted that might require a bit more. I really wish I had a better idea of what I am getting in to but there's very little info about the program online and the fact that it's two masters means it's a little more undesirable.

The adjustment towards academia is going to be rough. I really can't wait for this to start and to never set foot on a ship again.

I have a 3 piece being made right now and he is going to follow up with a more casual two piece. There's a bit of a lead time on clothes as slacks/shirts need to be tailored but it sounds like I don't need to go for much more so I will be set.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just remember that it never hurts to be the best dressed person in the room.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One PD in town basically has a massive fro and wears t-shirts with his name and the words PUBLIC DEFENDER on them in court. Dude loving rocks.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you do the laptop or iOS device just get Wolfram Alpha. It's better than a calculator IMO.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

Just remember that it never hurts to be the best dressed person in the room.

show up in a ball gown

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I get free mental health with tuition right?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

lightpole posted:

I get free mental health with tuition right?

They usually have a discounted or covered student insurance, you should look it up to see what yours covers. Mine is pretty decent actually, and covers mental health stuff pretty thoroughly.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

show up in a ball gown

It would cost too much to get it fit otherwise I would.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i was wearing a tee shirt and jeans for my final today and the autistic guy called me out for dressing casually or something IDK.

I wanted to give him poo poo for wearing a hat indoors and a huge purple hoodie but I mean he's autistic

I just told him I pay to be here I"ll wear what I want, it's loving 100 level course lol.

It was weird tho because he dresses like poo poo and IDK I wasn't wearing anything crazy, I'm guessing he was just repeating something his mom said or something who knows

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahahha, what the gently caress

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I can't figure it out because he wears pants that dont fit and his asscrack hangs out and his high school t-shirt every drat day

autism gonna autism, I guess. I've been puzzled by it all day.

Oh well I hope he failed and I never see him again :twisted:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but yeah I got shade thrown on me by a sperglord weirdo before 8am, what a great day! Time to drink

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Fashion criticism by someone who wears a hat indoors and peddling crack is to be completely and utterly ignored.

From my experience so far jeans and a t-shirt is dressing up for college.

gently caress, I wear buttons and people think I'm faculty (I'm also old though).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wear jeans and t shirts. If I'm going to the gym immediately after a class I'll wear basketball shorts because who the gently caress am I trying to impress as an undergrad?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah but we're talking about business school, not undergrad. If you're undergrad, go hog wild and wear sweatpants.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This is why I like the computer science community: where dressing up is wearing my dark jeans, and khakis are cargo pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

This is why I like the computer science community: where dressing up is wearing my dark jeans, and khakis are cargo pants.

I mean yeah for normal day to day internal stuff, but if you ever do anything customer-facing (sales, consulting, or management) expect to be throwing on a sport coat over those jeans at a minimum, if not a casual suit with no tie.

I never got the IT nerd resistance to dressing up when appropriate. Spend money to buy well fitting clothing and it's just as comfortable as jeans.