Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JcDent posted:

Nuke the Moon is the policy that I would always vote for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I wanna get into weird left catholic twitter. What are good recommendations?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Personally I just followed frassati stan (@areyousurebruv), he (she?) both writes and retweets a ton, and you can go on from there

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Caufman posted:

At least one interpretation I've heard from a couple of (self-professed, at least) Christians for why an almighty creator would permit this little rebellion to play out goes like this: God lets the rebels do their thing because he knows that ultimately they will fail. And they will fail in such a way that Lord Yahweh's rule will be totally legitimized, like it will be clearer than glass how God is, was, and always will be what's right and good.

I really don't understand the logic of a narrative wherein someone is knowingly faced with an impossible task and perserveres anyways, and is the bad guys. You couldn't make something more relatable to the human experience if you tried.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really don't understand the logic of a narrative wherein someone is knowingly faced with an impossible task and perserveres anyways, and is the bad guys. You couldn't make something more relatable to the human experience if you tried.

shall we talk about how much of modern christianity derives from the canonization of paradise lost?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I too admire the wars of Nazi Germany

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've had Blind Guardian's "Control The Divine" stuck in my head all day because of this thread.

It's not a complaint.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Nazi Germany doesn't do any of the things mentioned in the paragraph I quoted. They thought they could win, and "but the Holocaust" doesn't legitimize God's goodness, if anything it's one of the most profound obstacles to theodicy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anyways, my point isn't that a demon must of necessity be a decent guy, my point is that the framing in that story makes us seem completely alien to God, and close relatives of the Devil. Not just in influence, but in nature, experience, and kinship.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I dunno, feelings of kinship are not as clear cut.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I wasn't joking before. Milton wrote Satan as the classic antihero and I think it's had a pretty significant impact on the way modern Christians view their relationship to the divine vs their relationship to the fallen.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

docbeard posted:

I've had Blind Guardian's "Control The Divine" stuck in my head all day because of this thread.

It's not a complaint.

Same but "Another Holy War" :getin:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

StashAugustine posted:

Or that other lost cause, slavery in the southern United States.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anyways, my point isn't that a demon must of necessity be a decent guy, my point is that the framing in that story makes us seem completely alien to God, and close relatives of the Devil. Not just in influence, but in nature, experience, and kinship.

Indeed the master of the universe may be alien to us humans if God does not speak through the prophets or if Jesus was not the Son of God (or God the Son?) or if the Holy Spirit cannot enter a person.

This is how in Christianity, as best as I've understood it, a mortal may relate to God before the Second Coming. It's not necessarily an esoteric experience. After all, the Christians say that God is love, and in loving one knows God.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thinking back on this first post, I'd argue that for us regular mortals, it must be just as impossible a task to believe in ultimate love (as Christ did and taught his disciples to be) as it is to rebel against it. In a quest for the impossible, the Christlike and the Enemy are alike. But they are going in diametrically opposite directions, and only one will lead to eternal life, and the other to an unending lake of fire. Now which one is headed in which direction? Stay tuned, brothers and sisters!

Caufman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 8, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Caufman posted:

Indeed the master of the universe may be alien to us humans if God does not speak through the prophets or if Jesus was not the Son of God (or God the Son?) or if the Holy Spirit cannot enter a person.

This is how in Christianity, as best as I've understood it, a mortal may relate to God before the Second Coming. It's not necessarily an esoteric experience. After all, the Christians say that God is love, and in loving one knows God.

You're getting so close to the Platonic argument of "If God defines all things, does not God define the meanings of all words? If so, one can never describe god, for those things that are defined by him cannot be part of his definition."

It's kinda useless theologically but an undergrad philosophy student's head will blow up on that one.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

System Metternich posted:

Personally I just followed frassati stan (@areyousurebruv), he (she?) both writes and retweets a ton, and you can go on from there

yeah bruv is cool, so is Woke Space Jesuit (@dvoeverie). both are pretty well-read and resolutely trans-positive and marxist

Caufman
May 7, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

You're getting so close to the Platonic argument of "If God defines all things, does not God define the meanings of all words? If so, one can never describe god, for those things that are defined by him cannot be part of his definition."

I don't know if I can agree with the Platonic argument because of that part I italicized. It is possible for a mundane human to describe the ultimate meaning.

"God is love," wrote the person responsible for the First Epistle of John.

"God is love," repeated Caufman.

"God is love," is a description. It is not a full capture of God (and it invites many more questions like, "What is love? Is love real? Lord, don't hurt me."), but it is deeply relevant to even the mundane human experience. It cannot be just academic. Love must be approached in belief and action, or it isn't attempted at all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the devil is god's prosecuting attorney and will also be redeemed at the last days

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cis autodrag posted:

I wasn't joking before. Milton wrote Satan as the classic antihero and I think it's had a pretty significant impact on the way modern Christians view their relationship to the divine vs their relationship to the fallen.

do not forget byron's impact on antiheroes

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

the devil is god's prosecuting attorney and will also be redeemed at the last days

Will he really?

Unlike the Christlike, I have not read all of Revelations, so this is of some news to me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

their tweets are protected :/ . I will try regardless

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Caufman posted:

I don't know if I can agree with the Platonic argument because of that part I italicized. It is possible for a mundane human to describe the ultimate meaning.

"God is love," wrote the person responsible for the First Epistle of John.

"God is love," repeated Caufman.

"God is love," is a description. It is not a full capture of God (and it invites many more questions like, "What is love? Is love real? Lord, don't hurt me."), but it is deeply relevant to even the mundane human experience. It cannot be just academic. Love must be approached in belief and action, or it isn't attempted at all.

Well OK, but you're just rejecting platonic notions of definition rather than rebutting the concept. Which is fine. I just think it's a fun concept to watch people tilt against.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

Will he really?

Unlike the Christlike, I have not read all of Revelations, so this is of some news to me.
i believe he will, others believe he will not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocatastasis

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

Lol got that right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocatastasis posted:

Luther explicitly disowned belief that the devils would ultimately reach blessedness.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Lol got that right:

otoh maybe it's best to take Luther with a grain of salt and recognize him for the brilliant (and deeply flawed, human) theologian goon he was

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies

e: semi-related, please convince (or dissuade) me from getting a tattoo of the Luther cross/rose https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_rose

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2017

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

St. Paisios the Athonite, via John Sanidopoulos posted:

Monks do not only pray for the living and the dead but even for the most miserable creatures, the demons, who, unfortunately, even though thousands of years have passed, have become worse and have progressed in their evilness.

Once a monk* felt much pain [of heart] and, while he was kneeling at prayer, he said the following: "You are God and, if You want, You can find a way to save these miserable demons who first enjoyed such great glory, but now are full of all the evilness and cunning of the world. Without Your protection, they would have devoured all human beings." While he was saying these words, praying with pain [of heart], he saw a dog's head next to him sticking out his tongue and mocking him. It seems that God allowed for this to happen in order to inform the monk that He is ready to accept the demons provided they repent, but they themselves do not want their salvation.

One realizes from this incident not only the great love of monks, which they receive as a type of boundless love that is of God, but also the love of God, which is ready to save the demons as well, in spite of the billions of crimes they have committed, if only they would repent.

* We know from other stories of Elder Paisios that he is likely here talking about himself, since he later confessed that he once fasted and prayed for two weeks for the salvation of the devil, but the devil appeared to him after all that and merely mocked him.

*EDIT* I'm not really sure who I'm agreeing or disagreeing with here, I just like this story and this image.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 9, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

otoh maybe it's best to take Luther with a grain of salt and recognize him for the brilliant (and deeply flawed, human) theologian goon he was

e: semi-related, please convince (or dissuade) me from getting a tattoo of the Luther cross/rose https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_rose

It seems like a good idea now, but you'll brand yourself an eternal goon and probably regret it when pretty women treat you like a leper!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tias posted:

It seems like a good idea now, but you'll brand yourself an eternal goon and probably regret it when pretty women treat you like a leper!

It may seem like a good idea now, but won't your face be red once this thread converts you to Catholicism!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

I... don't think he cares about that. :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I think the pretty boys are going to be even more turned off tbqh :colbert:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The Christian governor of my Muslim-majority birthplace of Jakarta has been charged and convicted of blasphemy. Governor Ahok said that it is not ungodly for a Muslim to have a non-Muslim governor. For saying what is true, a court of five judges in Jakarta North sentenced him to two years in prison. The charge is for insulting a state-accepted major religion.

I hope Ahok and I and everyone involved and everyone witnessing will remember, even in fleeting, the same thing: that human adults with their states and courts can only speculate and opine on judgment. If there is ever to be a complete and final judgment, a god and a true god alone can pass such a thing.

A two-year prison sentence with the opportunity to appeal? How predictable and futile the enemy's mission and work looks some times...

HEY GAIL posted:

I found nothing to object to there. Prophecies unfold in a way that surprises those who thought they understood it, don't they?

Whichever way the First and Last wants to play out the eschaton, visibly and invisibly, is fine by me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Isn't Jakarta the place where you straight up have to have your religion in your passport, and if you change it from Islam you risk a world of hurt, though? I can't say I'm surprised, going on what little I know.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

Isn't Jakarta the place where you straight up have to have your religion in your passport, and if you change it from Islam you risk a world of hurt, though? I can't say I'm surprised, going on what little I know.

You're not far off. It's not the passport that has a declared religion, it's on the national identity card that every adult Indonesian must keep, not just the residents of the capital province of Jakarta. Pancasila, the governing political doctrine of the Republic of Indonesia, acknowledges there is only one God. The constitution accepts only six religious categories: Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism. There is no option to select agnosticism, atheism, humanism, Shia, Sunni, Alawite, Yazidi, Judaism, Bahai, animism, paganism, Jedi, n/a, none, folk religion, Daoism, Jain, Rastafari, Christianity that is neither Protestant nor Catholic, memes, or Prefer not to say. This list is not exhaustive.

Legally, there is no basis for any one of the six accepted religions to have more power than another, but clearly political Islam is Indonesia's most dominant apostate religion, as political Christianity is the USA's most dominant apostate religion.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 9, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey guys have i told you how the west needs to go back to making christianity the dominiant religion gently caress everyone else

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

but only the correct kind of christianity

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

P-Mack posted:

but only the correct kind of christianity

also, the correct interpretation of that correct kind of christianity

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

StashAugustine posted:

also, the correct interpretation of that correct kind of christianity

the dutch reform unitarian universalist church shall reign supreme.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think Catholicism should embrace the Prostestant paranonia. We should make moves to have less actual temporal power, and be gleeful about. Have Jesuits going about, rubbing their hands and saying "yes, yes..." to themselves. Let us become the conspiracy!

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Pellisworth posted:

Luther's far from the only one though. Augustine was pretty unequivocal on this as well:

Augustine, City of God posted:

"Very different, however, is the error, promoted by tenderness of heart and human compassion, of those who suppose that the miseries of those condemned by that judgement will be temporal, whereas the felicity of all men, who are released after a shorter or longer period, will be everlasting. Now if this opinion is good and true, just because it is compassionate, then it will be the better and the truer the more compassionate it is. Then let the fountain of compassion be deepened and enlarged until it extends as far as the evil angels, who must be set free, although, of course, after many ages, and ages of any length that can be imagined! ...For all that, his error would manifestly surpass all errors in its perversity, its wrong-headed contradiction of the express words of God, by the same margin as, in his own estimation, his belief surpasses all other opinions in its clemency."

The Fifth Ecumenical Council more or less condemned Origen's rendering of the doctrine, though later authors have tried to nuance it in a less objectionable direction.

Numerical Anxiety fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

(Probably too easy) riddle for you: what's wrong with this reliquary containing a drop of blood of St John Paul II that was unveiled two weeks ago in the cathedral of Paderborn, Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

(Probably too easy) riddle for you: what's wrong with this reliquary containing a drop of blood of St John Paul II that was unveiled two weeks ago in the cathedral of Paderborn, Germany?

Apparently it's undergoing mitosis and will soon become sentient and take over the world.

• Locked thread