Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm the idiot, bought some neat new-looking combat boots off a friend without checking if they were walked in, now I have fluid blisters all over :downs:

Any of you former footsloggers have a tip on how to break in boots and protecting my feeble dickskinned feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Do they actually fit you and what exactly did you do in them to cause blisters all over. Also were you wearing socks?

I mean I don't really know what to say. I have never had a problem with blisters but I also wore wool socks and made sure my boots fit me properly.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sure, socks were on. Perhaps a wee bit too big, but they're also just stiff, which I think is what causes the friction.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wear more socks. You need your feet to not move inside the boot.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Aight, thanks a lot!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Moleskin donuts over likely hotspots, thin/dress socks, then regular boot socks over that (I'm a big fan of Thorlons, ymmv). Keeps friction on your skin to a minimum. But yeah, make sure your feet don't slide around in the boot. Saddle soap helps soften the boot up, too.

Idiot option: Pack in as many foot warmers as you can to fill extra space.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 8, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

If they are leather and you have time...

Materials:
70-90% rubbing alcohol
Vaseline
Heat gun
lint free cloths

1: Warm up leather with heat gun, use lowest setting, go slow.
2: Apply rubbing alcohol to leather.
3: When rubbing alcohol evaporates, apply Vaseline.
4: let Vaseline absorb completely. Takes about a day, do not wear.

If its not real leather, don't do this. It will gently caress it up.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Anything more than minimal rubbing (and only when brand new) means that the boots don't fit. Don't wear boots that don't fit. Doesn't matter if you paid for them or if they're the same "size" as other footwear that you own.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Godholio posted:

Wear more socks. You need your feet to not move inside the boot.

:yeah:

Try getting yourself some silk/polypro liner socks to go under your regular socks. Not only do they wick, but they stick to your foot. Which means that when your feet do move inside the boot, it's the sock rubbing, not your skin.

Naked Bear posted:

Anything more than minimal rubbing (and only when brand new) means that the boots don't fit. Don't wear boots that don't fit. Doesn't matter if you paid for them or if they're the same "size" as other footwear that you own.

This is important too. You can fill the gaps with thicker socks in a pinch, but too much insulation eventually eat your feet from excess sweat.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
1. Loosen boot laces
2. Put on socks of medium thickness
3. Prepare several strips of breathable tape, medical tape or similar
4. Gently wrap each foot with photocopies of your dd214 using the tape
5. Throw those boots in the garbage

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
dont go on long humps with new boots

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Zeris posted:

1. Loosen boot laces
2. Put on socks of medium thickness
3. Prepare several strips of breathable tape, medical tape or similar
4. Gently wrap each foot with photocopies of your dd214 using the tape

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Naked Bear posted:

This. I entered AIT with blood blisters and holes the size of quarters on my Achilles because the boots were the wrong size. I had to wear my winter boots. At Ft Sill. In Summer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What is this, basic training/boot camp?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

What is this, basic training/boot camp?

Zeris posted:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If you didn't learn boot poo poo during boy scout hikes gently caress you

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i bought boots that fit properly and wore regular issue socks and have literally never had problems and I was light infantry

wear boots that fit is always the answer. Would you run a marathon in shoes that were too small or too big, or do you put on three pairs of socks when you put your shoes on to go to walmart? Of course not. wear boots that fit

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Who the gently caress calls themselves footsloggers?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elsa posted:

I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut through pissbottle conversations. You think pissbottles are bad, try shitbagging. But no, it gets better. What about holding the bag for someone else

My third deployment we spent a lot of time in the back of MRAPs. I was the platoon medic, so the back of the platoon sergeant's MRAP was my ambulance-type area. Medical people will tell you things like blood and poo poo and piss just don't really matter, and add the closeness of a deployment on top of that.

Well our gunner needed to poo poo sometimes, and instead of stopping and circling the wagons I offered to cut the top off an MRE bag and hold it so the gunner could poo poo in it. The opening of the bag is pretty big, comes out to maybe the size of a medium coffee can. The trickty part is the weight of the poo poo will change the shape of the opening rather suddenly.

When I offered to wipe his rear end too, our gunner refused but then our platoon sergeant got in on it and said he'd better not take his hands off the 50 cal. We were all connected with headsets so this is all piped into our ears directly.

Obviously there's very little excuse to pee in bottles when you're in your own home or apartment. But JUST SO YOU KNOW it's when people get grossed out by it that you sound like precious snowflakes. The laziness and the gross factor are two separate issues to me.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

just to be clear, there is no way that ever happened, right?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I am not actually sure if elsa is a compulsive liar or a compulsive truth-teller, but he's definitely an idiot.

e: vvvv Ohhhhh, that makes sense!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 9, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

"ambien fueled retard flailing" describes most of elsa's posting. If he isn't talking about drawing hentai take what he says with a bag of salt you sprinkle on your driveway

If you don't believe me just search MMO HMO subforum for the phrase "ambien"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ambien is not something to gently caress with

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

There is no loving way that ever happened.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I went through 4 years of just the basic issued boots. Make sure they dit, get good socks (Thorlo makes some amazing ones) and ignore all the weird poo poo people tell you that "totally works man you just have to put your feet in an oven for two minutes!" or whatever their version is.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

When I was ETSing from Active, my SMJ asked me to sit down and discuss reenlistment. He did the whole, "everyone comes back within six months" "There's no jobs bullshit then got down to brass tacks.
"What do I have to do to get you to stay? What kind of bonus?"
"187,000 dollars, Sergeant Major."
"What the hell? Where did you come up with that?""
"On the way to division review, I counted how many people I'd rather be, and figured each was worth a hundred dollars."
He chuckled. "Alright. You can pick any school. I'll give you Ranger! What do you think about that?"
"Malaysian Man Tracker."
"Be serious! Real schools here. I will put you down for Ranger today."
"It is a real school. I know some SF dudes who went to it. And I would rather lick my own rear end than go to Ranger."
At this point he got a big angry.
"Fine. Next duty station. Where do you want to go?"
"Antarctica."
"What the gently caress for!?"
"Because the Antarctic Service Medal is cool looking."
"SPC Bulletsponge, get the hell out of my loving office."

I didn't reenlist to stay active."

HA! I did the same thing when ETS'ing from the 82nd. I have really, really always wanted to go to Antarctica, though, and when I told the 1SG that would make me reenlist, he actually tried really hard to make it happen. The conversation ended up with, "Well, Sgt. Insularis, unless you have a biology degree I don't know about, I'm not going to be able to make this work." I also thought the ribbon was sweet.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Smiling Jack posted:

If you didn't learn boot poo poo during boy scout hikes gently caress you

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Issue boots hosed up my heels constantly thanks to that stupid cup in the back.

Literally any other boot was fine for me though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought I had plantar fasciitis thanks to Bellevilles. My heels ached all the time, but then I noticed that it went away when I didn't work and wore normal shoes. Unfortunately the list of boots supply will buy us is pretty limited and only gets worse if you're required to have a safety toe. I ended up buying a pair of Rockys and my feet have been much better for it.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought I had plantar fasciitis thanks to Bellevilles. My heels ached all the time, but then I noticed that it went away when I didn't work and wore normal shoes. Unfortunately the list of boots supply will buy us is pretty limited and only gets worse if you're required to have a safety toe. I ended up buying a pair of Rockys and my feet have been much better for it.

Rockys are great. I bought my first pair about 6 or 7 years ago. Never wearing any other boot. If I'm dumb enough to stay in, I'm going to do it in a comfortable pair of boots.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Whole Foods shoppers have the right idea, and the boots from La Sportiva / Merrell / Five Ten are going to be better for your feet and life than any .mil issued boot.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The newer Nikes or Rocky S2V own.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like the S2V a lot. I'll probably go with the composite toe next time around though.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

DoktorLoken posted:

The newer Nikes or Rocky S2V own.

The Nike SFB field leathers are the most comfortable things I've ever worn and felt like sex on my feet. I actually hate that I'd look like a giant toolbag wearing them now because I loved them that much.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
altama ripple soles all the other nike poo poo was too fancy for me

Internet VFW>Lets Talk About Shoes! (On our feet.)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I like Garmonts. Never had any rubbing issues, and they were broken in practically right out of the box. I just wish that all the good Lowas were in regs, they're amazing hiking boots, which should be expected given the price. The one set they make that I could get away with is like $280 and I'm not buying those sight unseen.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Had another Marine transfer into my guard unit last weekend. Told him not to do it, I was him years ago. He didn't believe me. Am I the idiot for still being in or is he for not listening? it's both of us isn't it?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Once I tried the Nikes, I never looked back. gently caress the regs, they're just too good to go back to whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The leather ones are in-regs as far as I can tell and really don't look weird at all.