Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so exactly allows for migrations from other empires to my planets to happen nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

also because every other patch breaks something, like how 1.5 broke basically all of the features from the Leviathans DLC

Huh? I got Leviathans along with Utopia and it worked fine. Space horrors/wonders and trading city-states. What was there to break?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MadJackal posted:

Huh? I got Leviathans along with Utopia and it worked fine. Space horrors/wonders and trading city-states. What was there to break?

war in heaven and the black hole storyline are hosed. also 1.5 broke endgame crises so pretty much only one of the three ever fires, and even 1.6 only restores one of them.

these aren't things that are going to affect most people, but they're annoyances the kind of people who write reviews on the steam page for a DLC pack are going to be sensitive to.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cease to Hope posted:

war in heaven and the black hole storyline are hosed. also 1.5 broke endgame crises so pretty much only one of the three ever fires, and even 1.6 only restores one of them.

these aren't things that are going to affect most people, but they're annoyances the kind of people who write reviews on the steam page for a DLC pack are going to be sensitive to.

That's kinda a far cry from "basically all the features from Leviathans" which was the initial claim.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cease to Hope posted:

Maybe I was really lucky but I have had Unbidden and Prethoryn so far!

I have never had the angry robits though. Ever.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shugojin posted:

I had to edit a save to get the robits to fire back in the 1.4 days or whatnot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh, i forgot that space fauna clustering was messed up that you could end up with a fauna cluster on top of your initial civ spawn, which wasn't game-ending but was frustrating.

i'm not saying Stellaris sucks and it deserves all the bad reviews whining about DLC costs, but "1.X.0 has a pile of bugs fixed in 1.X.1" is also part of the new patch/DLC backlash.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

How long until Paradox adds in a Double Endgame Crisis where the Hunters that were chasing the Prethoryn arrive

Make it happen Wiz

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Captain Oblivious posted:

How long until Paradox adds in a Double Endgame Crisis where the Hunters that were chasing the Prethoryn arrive

Make it happen Wiz

If you leave the Unbidden alone long enough, additional, different-colored factions of Unbidden arrive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, time to start my Hive Mind over again now that 1.6 happened, allowing me to play as the devouring Mycon swarm I always wanted. Purge the xenos Void the Non!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Wait 1.5 made War In Heaven not fire? That explains why no one foightz

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Maybe I was really lucky but I have had Unbidden and Prethoryn so far!

Count yourself lucky. It's incredibly bad to the point that Wiz has basically said it's not even worth fixing up because it's getting tossed and redone.

Grondoth posted:

Wait 1.5 made War In Heaven not fire? That explains why no one foightz

It fired perfectly fine for me. However I clicked the nonaligned powers option as fanatic purifiers which basically didn't work at all and caused some very strange behavior as nations joined it.

Lots of old stuff doesn't interact that well with the new stuff though a pile of that looks like it was fixed today.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The bug where if you select 'auto upgrade' your ships appear upgraded automatically but are not actually upgraded is still in. Don't select auto upgrade.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

War in Heaven was broken from the beginning, it wasn't 1.5 that broke it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Private Speech posted:

Yeah, I can see that. I didn't buy it at launch because, well, a) it was a bit too expensive and b) I got kinda burned on Victoria 2 and HOI 3. I've actually always wanted Paradox to do a space game, so I'm happy to give it a shot anyway.

Also posted in the Steam thread after all.

I didn't even realise there was a steam thread. As a general rule if a game has their own thread it's worth getting.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Aethernet posted:

The bug where if you select 'auto upgrade' your ships appear upgraded automatically but are not actually upgraded is still in. Don't select auto upgrade.

Oh. That would explain a certain battle I just lost :mad:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How exactly is the War in Heaven supposedly broken?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Patrat posted:

Also, finally, Space Dragons

Seath the Scaleless lookin good

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Taear posted:

I didn't even realise there was a steam thread. As a general rule if a game has their own thread it's worth getting.

Someone there said the gameplay was really boring and they never managed to get past one hour or so in a single game.

And some more complaints about how it's too slow and that there's no mods to speed it up.

Really I don't particularly care. Wanted to get the game for a while anyhow.

e:
I find it's useful to check the Steam thread to see if say a console port is badly done or other things like that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 9, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PittTheElder posted:

The drat thing crashes after mission 8 if you don't have a certain version of FSOpen.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The drat thing crashes after mission 8 if you don't have a certain version of FSOpen.

I think the newer release candidates fix that.

Also wrong thread or most obscure reference ever.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
First post-patch game rolls Sanctuary, the Enigmatic Fortress, and the Ether Drake all within initial wormhole range of my homeworld, and using wormholes means they don't block me in exploring, so this goes from "oh gently caress me" to "holy shitballs this gonna be good".

(watch as all of my not-yet-found neighbours turn out to be Fanatical Purifiers)

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Private Speech posted:

Someone there said the gameplay was really boring and they never managed to get past one hour or so in a single game.

And some more complaints about how it's too slow and that there's no mods to speed it up.

Really I don't particularly care. Wanted to get the game for a while anyhow.

e:
I find it's useful to check the Steam thread to see if say a console port is badly done or other things like that.
I kinda agree with that guy in that I usually just start a new game rather than continuing an old one. I do that in most 4x though so :shrug:

A lot of what he mentions about war being a slog was fixed in Utopia.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

These peacocks are amazing. And absolutely perfect for making the Wais from Alan Dean Foster's Damned Trilogy

Not a fan of the Caterpeople though. Those forearms look way out of proportion to everything else...

Still, its a great addition - had been wanting another portrait pack for a while - an excellent freebie.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

At this point I just wish they'd do something to make Technological Enlightenment more of a realistic option. Maybe give Xenophile some cost reduction bonuses or something. Or just gut it and replace it since it's a bad legacy system, whatever works!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm fine with AI Rebellion never happening ever until they rework it, it loving sucks in its current form.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I picked the game up in the humble bundle and I've yet to play it because I can't decide what kind of empire to play.

Hell, just picking an appearance is hard, especially since the Peacocks have joined the competition with the Geckos, Snailiens, Chirpy (those magnificent eyebrows!), and a few other outliers.

Minor Nitpick: If you wanted to be accurate to real peafowl, only the males should have such resplendent appearances, the peahens should be more simpler. Actually I've noticed a lot of the various species/portraitists lack any kind of sexual dimorphism.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 10, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PittTheElder posted:

For a more serious response, it was always a pain in the rear end to resolve in any way. Out of the two times I have seen it​ resolve... Once I was neutral (completely, not even league of whatever) and it somehow resolved anyway. The second time I cottoned on to the AI never bothering to retake its own planets and to the fact that while it was very obsessed with taking mine, it never bothered to defend the planets so all I had to do to keep it in a loop was to have one lone transport come in after the enemy fleets and armies left the system and switch the flags out again.

Meanwhile my fleet was off clearing out resistance and then leaving a token battleship to maintain the blockade status since it was worth more than occupation.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

.. the black hole storyline are hosed.

If you mean Horizon Signal with this, that was free DLC totally unrelated to Leviathans.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Count yourself lucky. It's incredibly bad to the point that Wiz has basically said it's not even worth fixing up because it's getting tossed and redone..

Hopefully better, the AI Rebellion is so cool in theory but the execution was so lacking. Not only could I not ever get it to fire despite several games of committing the most horrific robo-racism I could, everything I read about it makes it sound just frustrating instead of an interesting challenge.

Atsushogob fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 10, 2017

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Minor Nitpick: If you wanted to be accurate to real peafowl, only the males should have such resplendent appearances, the peahens should be more simpler. Actually I've noticed a lot of the various species/portraitists lack any kind of sexual dimorphism.

There are mods for this but unfortunately if you ever play multiplayer it means everybody is required to have them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baronjutter posted:

Paradox game related comments/reviews on steam really need to be taken with a grain of salt. You'll notice almost every one of their DLC's no matter how good have "mixed" reviews. There's an army of people who play paradox games but for some reason are still enraged and not over paradox's style of continuing to develop their games for years and years in the form of free patches and paid DLC which you don't have to buy and will probably go on sale later.

So everything paradox releases will have at least 1/3 of the reviews saying something like "Great game, the DLC adds so much more depths and has brought me back to the game for at least another 500 hours, I love it!! BUT IT'S $20 gently caress YOU GREEDY PARADOX IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FREE OR $10!! THUMBS DOWN 4 GREEDY SWEDES!!!" and the flood of that style of voting drives down their ratings and it's really unfortunate.

Admittedly, gently caress Sweden.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I got a pop up telling me one of my neighbours has ethos switched after embracing one of their factions. I had NEVER seen this before this patch.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Here is a weird one I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed, I couldn't select Ironman mode with mods enabled (just checking to see if it worked or not) the first time I tried to make an Ironman game. Then I disabled the mods and made an Ironman game. Now I'm making a regular game and for some reason thought I'd try and toggle it again with mods enabled just for the hell of it. And it will now let me toggle Ironman and say I can earn achievements.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baronjutter posted:

So I got a pop up telling me one of my neighbours has ethos switched after embracing one of their factions. I had NEVER seen this before this patch.

Yeah I've seen that a few times, not sure whether the new thing is the popup itself or the fact others are actually changing ethea.

e; nessin achievements were proper hosed in 1.5 and they may well still be in 1.6 - that said, there are some mods that don't stop you earning them, primarily stuff like namelists and flag packs. But if you have mods on and it says you can get cheevos assume it's lying.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

It basically renders all diplomacy up to that point irrelevant and the Awakened Empires never actually fight each other. They just sort of fart around with their mega doomstack fleets doing nothing. Unless you're able to take the AEs down by yourself then you get to see the game reach new heights of stagnation. All the jump drive usage also makes it nearly impossible for any crisis other than the unbidden to show up. It'd probably be shorter to list the ways in which War in Heaven is not broken.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So with PSC nerfed, I am experimenting with openers other than "Go directly to PSC". I am sure that even in its nerfed state it is still pretty drat good. It probably doesn't split the game in half now though.

I am trying a space-grabbing strategy now. My peacock race starts with the efficient bureaucracy civic for +2 core worlds, which I will spec out of later once I don't need that bonus. I get prosperity and trans-stellar-corporations for cheap energy-based colony ships, and try to claim four other systems relatively quickly. Cheaper mining stations and cheap energy-based colony ships saves a lot of minerals early on. Once I get my cheap colony ship tradition, I switch to expansion, getting courier network for decreased tradition cost first, and then finishing up the rest of expansion. Expansion gives another +2 core worlds once you finish it off, along with making supporting more frontier outposts easy. The goal is to claim planets and space fast, to get a resource heads up on the others. So far, I've found it effective.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mister Adequate posted:

e; nessin achievements were proper hosed in 1.5 and they may well still be in 1.6 - that said, there are some mods that don't stop you earning them, primarily stuff like namelists and flag packs. But if you have mods on and it says you can get cheevos assume it's lying.
Namelists specifically do block achievements despite the indicator, because they're in the common folder.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So with PSC nerfed, I am experimenting with openers other than "Go directly to PSC". I am sure that even in its nerfed state it is still pretty drat good. It probably doesn't split the game in half now though.

I am trying a space-grabbing strategy now. My peacock race starts with the efficient bureaucracy civic for +2 core worlds, which I will spec out of later once I don't need that bonus. I get prosperity and trans-stellar-corporations for cheap energy-based colony ships, and try to claim four other systems relatively quickly. Cheaper mining stations and cheap energy-based colony ships saves a lot of minerals early on. Once I get my cheap colony ship tradition, I switch to expansion, getting courier network for decreased tradition cost first, and then finishing up the rest of expansion. Expansion gives another +2 core worlds once you finish it off, along with making supporting more frontier outposts easy. The goal is to claim planets and space fast, to get a resource heads up on the others. So far, I've found it effective.

I agree with going for Prosperity and private colony ships first. For my first 1.6 game I decided to fill out Prosperity before jumping to Expansion. I was contemplating taking the Supremacy opener quickly too to paint more of the map my color, but in practice that wouldn't have netted me much in the particular map I was playing on.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Okay, so I noticed that whenever a ship I can see enters warp the game slows to a crawl while they're in transit. Like if I've got it at Fastest game speed it'll slow down to the equivalent of Normal speed and my CPU usage for the game will go from 15-20% to 50%.

I assume there's no way to actually fix this.

E: And now its stopped doing it for mysterious reasons. At least until I start a new game. ???

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ruined Dyson Sphere to the north, ruined sentry array to the south, ruined science nexus to the west, then to the southeast near the Enigmatic Fortress, those two hostile markings are for the Ether Drake and the Stellarite Devourer.

What is happening in this part of the galaxy god drat

• Locked thread