Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deep Thought posted:

All the gaming mags already hyped Bioshock 1 as the System Shock 2 successor. I think the rites of succession are getting a bit mixed up. This looks more like a bastard of Bioshock, graphically.
People specifically skip Bioshock because Prey 2 is more System Shock than any Bioshock ever managed to be. Sure that Bioshock influences are visible but it's about the glory of being surprised by gameplay freedom that Prey brought back to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I thought it was a very good game until I exited the station and floated around outside, then it became a really fantastic game.
It really ramps up after a few hours play, too.

I wonder if its up and running on VR yet. That would be a trip.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just picked this up yesterday on Steam and I'm enjoying it but I have questions:

1. Can you remove that lovely effect that happens when you go into combat and the contrast makes everything in shadows and dark as gently caress? The enemies are already black so going into combat makes them drat near impossible to see.

2. Does the combat get better? I generally avoided combat in SS2 when I could but it seems like there's a ton more poo poo in my way in this game and I'm forced into combat when I don't want to be but the shooting in this game sucks, but I'm still really early into the game and only have the pistol with is a peashooter and just feels bad to use. Also the enemies are kinda lame and boring to engage so that's not helping. Is there a Psi ability that just lets me sneak by more easily maybe that'd be better in my case.

3. Why does my mouse sensitivity change when I sprint?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Just made a discovery that helps with radiation

Recycle Bombs work on the containers and will remove the radiation source.
Did not know this before. :stare:

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
When/where do you get the recycle grenade plan? This will probably affect some of my early-game decisions.

For clarity of where I am, it's early and a very light spoiler : I just got the keycard off the guy's body outside the station for the first time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Malek posted:

Just made a discovery that helps with radiation

Recycle Bombs work on the containers and will remove the radiation source.
Did not know this before. :stare:

I tried that and it didn't work for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Psychoshock completely changed my playstyle. I was skulking around before but I just took out a Nightmare, Weaver, and a telepath in the Lobby.

The nightmare is a very cool enemy and I was scared of them but now in basically half Typhon through mods and I am going to alpha dog all these squiggly bitches.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 10, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dogen posted:

Your grenade was off-center and not near enough the containers. Probably.

Bust Rodd posted:

Psychoshock completely changed my playstyle. I was skulking around before but I just took out a Nightmare, Weaver, and a telepath in the Lobby.

Is almost too powerful, specially because slowdown time so you have time to say "die motherfucker" before you zap mimics out of existence.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Bust Rodd posted:

The nightmare is a very cool enemy and I was scared of them but not in basically half Typhon through mods and I am going to alpha dog all these squiggly bitches.

This should be spoilered, honestly.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Dogen posted:

Really? Worked in the machine shop for me with those barrels... hrm

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just picked this up yesterday on Steam and I'm enjoying it but I have questions:

1. Can you remove that lovely effect that happens when you go into combat and the contrast makes everything in shadows and dark as gently caress? The enemies are already black so going into combat makes them drat near impossible to see.

2. Does the combat get better? I generally avoided combat in SS2 when I could but it seems like there's a ton more poo poo in my way in this game and I'm forced into combat when I don't want to be but the shooting in this game sucks, but I'm still really early into the game and only have the pistol with is a peashooter and just feels bad to use. Also the enemies are kinda lame and boring to engage so that's not helping. Is there a Psi ability that just lets me sneak by more easily maybe that'd be better in my case.

3. Why does my mouse sensitivity change when I sprint?

1. The visual effect is the Fear status and you can resist it through neuromods and also straight up boozing. chug some of those whiskeys you've been finding.

2. you shouldn't be relying on just your pistol to kill poo poo. you can get more weapons very early if you explore a bit. anything besides mimics is, at least at the start of the game, way stronger than you and will kick the poo poo out of you unless you get creative and combine your abilities and items to fight them. use the environment too. or just run away and hide until they forget you. and yeah, you can improve your stealth with mods.

3. :iiam:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

People specifically skip Bioshock because Prey 2 is more System Shock than any Bioshock ever managed to be. Sure that Bioshock influences are visible but it's about the glory of being surprised by gameplay freedom that Prey brought back to the genre.

It's a Shock game with the benefit of coming out after the Half Lifes, w/o those influences compromising the core tenant of player freedom and non linear progression. BioShock is a triumph in presentation and worldbuilding, and historically little else.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Had a very cool moment happen which I'm going to put in spoilers because I assume its a very late game or ending spoiler. I have not finished the game.

You can actually fly out to the Transtar billboards that orbit the station. Pretty sure that's well known, and there is a corpse out there you can loot. However while really hunting around I found a panel on the back of the billboard that lets you change what it displays. Turns out the corpse out there was trying to warn the people inside the station before he died, the message reads "THE ESCAPE PODS ARE FAKE". Really cool moment and makes me really wonder about the side mission to find an escape pod.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Robiben posted:

Had a very cool moment happen which I'm going to put in spoilers because I assume its a very late game or ending spoiler. I have not finished the game.

You can actually fly out to the Transtar billboards that orbit the station. Pretty sure that's well known, and there is a corpse out there you can loot. However while really hunting around I found a panel on the back of the billboard that lets you change what it displays. Turns out the corpse out there was trying to warn the people inside the station before he died, the message reads "THE ESCAPE PODS ARE FAKE". Really cool moment and makes me really wonder about the side mission to find an escape pod.

oh man, there's an audio log where someone's actually planning to put exposing info on one of the billboards but I didn't know they actually did it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

uber_stoat posted:

1. The visual effect is the Fear status and you can resist it through neuromods and also straight up boozing. chug some of those whiskeys you've been finding.

2. you shouldn't be relying on just your pistol to kill poo poo. you can get more weapons very early if you explore a bit. anything besides mimics is, at least at the start of the game, way stronger than you and will kick the poo poo out of you unless you get creative and combine your abilities and items to fight them. use the environment too. or just run away and hide until they forget you. and yeah, you can improve your stealth with mods.

3. :iiam:

Cool, thanks. Not really digging that lovely visual effect but I'm glad I can counter it. Time to jump back in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, the annoying contrast thing and the fear status effect are not the same thing. Fear is its own thing with a unique status bar icon.

I still have not found a way to make the contrast thing stop, boozing up did not make it go away. I think it's just a visual thing the game does.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009
This game more than anything gave me a serious Portal vibe.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Where the heck can I find the stun gun ammo fabrication plan? I can drown myself in 9mm bullets and shotgun shells if I so desired but stun gun ammo is no where to be found

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Robiben posted:

Not saying anything else other than there is more to that if you investigate a certain someone.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm trying to figure out that timeline of this outbreak but there a few events I can't quite puzzle out, like in the black box side quest Dalton had enough time to murder Lane with the Q-beam and book it to G.U.T.S for whatever reason. But Lane is a phantom stuck in his office so there wasn't enough time for anyone else to find him and call for a janitor before the Typhon overwhelmed the station.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Plus the Q beam causes things to explode into nothing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Plus the Q beam causes things to explode into nothing.

It makes them explode, but I can still find bits of robot and alien goo laying around... not that I've tried it on a human... hmm.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just finished! The first part of the ending is a little meh but I did like the post credits material.

Also by the end of the game I went full human mods and almost fully upgraded the weapons, which makes it fairly easy. Also all the weapons are pretty fun!

Also I started a new game and the default movement speed is killing me

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Dogen posted:

Just finished! The first part of the ending is a little meh but I did like the post credits material.

Also by the end of the game I went full human mods and almost fully upgraded the weapons, which makes it fairly easy. Also all the weapons are pretty fun!

I thought both parts were pretty meh.

Taking the hand of alex as a typhon was cringy and not good. It felt incredibly dumb.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I encountered the Nightmare properly earlier. I left the Neuromod Division and headed back into the Lobby, came around the corner, and boom there it was. Killed me in one hit too. When I loaded back in I snuck past it. This game is honestly terrifying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

Where the heck can I find the stun gun ammo fabrication plan? I can drown myself in 9mm bullets and shotgun shells if I so desired but stun gun ammo is no where to be found

I found the stun gun plans somewhere but I can't remember, it's either in the Hardware Labs or Psychotronics. It's actually cheaper to make the stun gun than either of those ammo boxes and you can recycle the gun itself for even better value

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait actually I remember exactly where it is . There is a guy on the second floor of the neuromod area

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Dogen posted:

Question, did you do the quest to unlock the DRM keys on the neuromod fabrications?

Right after I did that quest, a nightmare appeared and January tells me it was because I unlocked a psychic mod (which I didn't and I have no skill points in any of them)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

I thought both parts were pretty meh.

Taking the hand of alex as a typhon was cringy and not good. It felt incredibly dumb.

I bought into it. I like the idea that as a player we are acting as the consciousness injected into this alien

Malek posted:

Question, did you do the quest to unlock the DRM keys on the neuromod fabrications?

Right after I did that quest, a nightmare appeared and January tells me it was because I unlocked a psychic mod (which I didn't and I have no skill points in any of them)

I did, same thing happened to me, I think doing that triggers one and when one is triggered for the first time you get that dialogue even though it's not really applicable. I got language in the ending indicating I hadn't taken any typhon mods. I never actually saw the nightmare in that particular instance, I hid under the desk until the timer ran down.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 10, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Dogen posted:

I did, same thing happened to me, I think doing that triggers one and when one is triggered for the first time you get that dialogue even though it's not really applicable. I got language in the ending indicating I hadn't taken any typhon mods. I never actually saw the nightmare in that particular instance, I hid under the desk until the timer ran down.

I fragged him. Combat sense + fully upgraded shotty + stealth fully upgraded takes about 4 shots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
First playthrough I'm doing pretty well with just going human-only mods. Any reason to pick up Typhon mods if I'm feeling pretty good as-is? Or any particular reason to avoid them for the first go-around? I plan on replaying this game a lot so I'm not worried about gimmick playthroughs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malek posted:

I fragged him. Combat sense + fully upgraded shotty + stealth fully upgraded takes about 4 shots.

I always finish them off with a wrench.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CJacobs posted:

For the record, the annoying contrast thing and the fear status effect are not the same thing. Fear is its own thing with a unique status bar icon.

I still have not found a way to make the contrast thing stop, boozing up did not make it go away. I think it's just a visual thing the game does.

Yeah, that's trash then and they should remove it. It looks like poo poo.

I'm trying to get the Arbortoreum or whatever and I'm in a micrograv tunnel but there's a locked door and I have no clue where to get the code. Where am I supposed to go or is there a way around? I see a tunnel behind a giant fan but no way to turn the said fan off.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

First playthrough I'm doing pretty well with just going human-only mods. Any reason to pick up Typhon mods if I'm feeling pretty good as-is? Or any particular reason to avoid them for the first go-around? I plan on replaying this game a lot so I'm not worried about gimmick playthroughs.

Both sides begin to turn on you: I only had 3 mods when I had to hack. ever. single. turret to not shoot me. Play how you feel, as I did with my mods.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One thing I noticed about Typhon mods and turrets. If you like turrets, any you fabricate will be pre-hacked.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
About how long is this game? I'm still unsure how much more I have to go.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I played for 31 hours, and saved everyone, but missed some side quests, no doubt.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Malek posted:

About how long is this game? I'm still unsure how much more I have to go.

i beat it in like 18 hours. all the sidequests that i could find were finished.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

There are locations you can't get into without Mimic. Not a lot of them, but a few, and it's pretty useful for getting into places you could get into otherwise but don't have the code/keycard for yet.

On another note, are there console commands? I want to try noclipping into the area shown on the map between the elevator and the door into life support that there's no evidence exists other than the map saying there's something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Malek posted:

I was not at that point by the time I hit this side quest. Also, Q-beam supremacy.