Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Best method I've found to fight the snakes is to trigger a perfect dodge off of their hurtbox and then use the pod fire counter move, which should autotarget their weak point if you're positioned correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah... kiting those snakes and dealing with them one at a time was the best option. Hate those things.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I got the tutorial for taunting but it didn't work immediately and I didn't feel comfortable mashing on the stick of my only controller in vain so I just assumed it was lovely and I wouldn't bother. Also linked sphere boys first encounter being 3 of them on the way to a new area that you have to go to was a dick move, especially when they stun lock you to death since I didn't have the I-frame chip yet. Yes that was my first death, I'm still a little bitter about it.

straight 8
Jan 9, 2007

Another one here who had no idea how to taunt. I assumed it was some ability or pod I hadn't found.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

...I really need this game.

It looks so fun. :kimchi:
Every time I see an update I'm :munch: . Just waiting to see how weird this is going to get.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I like this is a game where the main villains display clear advancement in power by showing up again wearing pants. Even if the Albedo looking one hasn't figured out pants buttons. :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Tazgirl18992 posted:

It looks so fun. :kimchi:
Every time I see an update I'm :munch: . Just waiting to see how weird this is going to get.

At the risk of just repeating what's already been said in this thread before, you should definitely get this game. Everyone should. I mean, I had to buy a new graphics card for it, which kind of raises the price tag, but I honestly don't regret it. It's kind of really good.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Nohman posted:

I like this is a game where the main villains display clear advancement in power by showing up again wearing pants. Even if the Albedo looking one hasn't figured out pants buttons. :v:

I can't be the only one that finds a lack of pants more threatening, can I?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Rainuwastaken posted:

I can't be the only one that finds a lack of pants more threatening, can I?

The bleeding edge of android military technology is sending soldiers out in frilly skirts and school-boy shorts. They were born like a day ago and they've already mastered the full-length trouser. They're clearly winning this arms legs race at a terrifying rate.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Exercu posted:

Easiest way of handling snakes with stuff you can actually do at this point in the game is to just go near them, perfect dodge and countershoot with your pod.

At this point in the game this will likely one shot them.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Saagonsa posted:

I wanna say the game actually does give you a tutorial on taunting, but only if you equip a taunt chip which you won't do because you don't know how to taunt.

It does, I equipped the chips because I thought you could only taunt with them turned on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

darealkooky posted:

It does, I equipped the chips because I thought you could only taunt with them turned on.

So this game keeps track of the % of tutorials you've unlocked. I spent a hell of a long time on 98%.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Huh, I knew about the flashlight, but I didn't know it got the machines all hot and bothered.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I just tried equipping that chip and it didn't say dick. It did, however, unannounced go straight into the clusterfuck of a tutorial section with every other tutorial ever unlocked all unsorted. gently caress that. Platinum ain't getting a pass on its poo poo documentation with that garbage. Get it to-loving-gether, Platinum. Cavia was better at tutorials than you. Cavia should not be better at you than anything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Dark Id posted:

Get it to-loving-gether, Platinum. Cavia was better at tutorials than you. Cavia should not be better at you than anything.

What about trolling?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Trying to finish every level of their other games with the highest rating is *kind* of like being trolled by Platinum.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Gnome de plume posted:

Huh, I knew about the flashlight, but I didn't know it got the machines all hot and bothered.

I mean, wouldn't you get flustered if a girl flashed you?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I cannot find an image of the fighting wolves tutorial from nier 1 that is a single sentence that is basically just "Wolves are fast, try killing them" but its one of the best tutorials in any videogame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

I just tried equipping that chip and it didn't say dick. It did, however, unannounced go straight into the clusterfuck of a tutorial section with every other tutorial ever unlocked all unsorted. gently caress that. Platinum ain't getting a pass on its poo poo documentation with that garbage. Get it to-loving-gether, Platinum. Cavia was better at tutorials than you. Cavia should not be better at you than anything.

Odd. When I tried it, the little tutorial popup showed in a small box onscreen, even though I'd tried taunting enemies already.

But yeah. It's not a very well explained subsystem.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Platinum ain't getting a pass on its poo poo documentation with that garbage.
I really, truly love Platinum, I really do, but they are and always have been absolute garbage about explaining anything. They have some really backwards ideas about introducing things to players. Like the majority of their titles having a perfect-block style move that's generally absolutely critical to combat... in the shop. Usually at a low price to try and encourage you to get it, but nothing directs you towards it or forces you to get it and you invariably wind up with people skipping it and getting rolled by enemies. And that's just one example, there's always all sorts of unintentionally hidden mechanics or backwards tutorials or whatever.

I think a big part of why people like Platinum more these days isn't because their games are getting better but just because we've had a decade to figure out how the hell their games actually work.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There's one negative review of this game that complains about the aliens never showing up.

Thank god people are keeping the tradition of "THIS FISHING GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE 5/10" alive

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well, I wasn't sure what to expect from the hole trip, but finding out that the naked guy we stabbed so hard another naked guy crawled out of his corpse is both alive? and appears to have started an 80's rock fashion duo with the aforementioned second guy was not on the mental list of possibilities.

I suppose now the question is have the aliens been dead for ages, or did the new naked machines just finish a coup.

The Dark Id posted:

You’d think they would programed advanced war machine androids

They’ve very slow to attack in the first place,

sliding open the walks of the room, letting in sunlight

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
When this game was first being teased and the materials mentioned something about the alien overlords being MIA I turned to a friend and said "They're already dead, aren't they?" Yep.

Also yes, those linked-sphere types are the worst; as is trying to differentiate between them when you're trying to fill out the enemy encyclopedia.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bad Seafood posted:

Also yes, those linked-sphere types are the worst; as is trying to differentiate between them when you're trying to fill out the enemy encyclopedia.

Kill 'em all and let pod sort 'em out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh I do.

It's just one of those things where when you're trying to find the one you don't have in a group of ones you do, you'll frequently need to kill everyone just to find out the one you needed wasn't actually there. Or you'll find a lone one but...is that the one I need? It's pretty far away. Better run out there and kill it...okay no, that wasn't it.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 10, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Summer fitness goals: to be able to cosplay as Adam.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There are loads of ways to make the worm assholes much more bearable, such as,
  • A chip we don't have yet!
  • Another chip we don't have yet!
  • A pod weapon we don't have yet!
  • A pod program we don't have yet!
  • An ability we don't have yet!

The only real mercy right now is that their body shape and movement pattern makes it marginally easier to lead your gatling shots, because you sure as hell won't be able to hit them with lock-on due to how fast they move and the distance they maintain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only good part about the flying worms is that you can run away from them.

And you really cant tell that they're made up entirely of heads til you blow them up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
All spheres are heads, all cylinders are bodies. And that's the tale of how machines are made.

Simone's snek notwithstanding.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
When I got to this part of the game I was genuinely surprised that the foul xenos were real (less so that they were dead). I kinda expected there to be no actual aliens, and that it was all some kind of smokescreen or maybe more a YOU WERE THE ALIENS kinda thing and that the robots were the last defenders of humanity. Or that it was all some kinda complex clusterfuck of misery that only Yoko Taro could produce.

But nope, aliens are real.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aliens are real AND irrelevant!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

When this game was first being teased and the materials mentioned something about the alien overlords being MIA I turned to a friend and said "They're already dead, aren't they?" Yep.

At this point in videogame twist history, it's mildly surprising that there even are aliens.

Edit: great minds. Also ours.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Well, none of them are alive, so there's still a chance they're hoaxes created out of rubber molds and papier mache to prop up the sexy android military-industrial complex.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Honestly, the biggest possible twist I could forsee is that one of the endings has humans actually start resettling earth, because if one set of Automata's distant masters is dead, why not the other too?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Gnome de plume posted:

Well, none of them are alive, so there's still a chance they're hoaxes created out of rubber molds and papier mache to prop up the sexy android military-industrial complex.

That doesn't sound far fetched. I mean how long were those ships under there, maybe thousands of years? Unless aliens had zero faith in getting through Earth atmosphere alive so the replaced the airbags with needs that shoot embalming fluid directly into they're skull so any archaeologists that finds them thinks they're fleshy, dick-shaped headed, space gods.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Drakengard Thread Report: So on page 11, we have Inuart doing his heel turn. At this point, Manah's identity is still shrouded, and her voice in the cutscene is doing the bad House of the Dead impression. A goon straight up announces that the dark shadowy figure is a little girl. Doesn't even use spoiler tags!

Drakengard! Goons!

EDIT: tbf, The Dark Id uses a shadowed version of Manah's portrait for her dialogue, so its not too hard to figure out the age of our new villain.

EDIT2: Also, Inuart's price pact is known well in advance. Unlike Veredelt's. While I doubt it would have been as impactful as the Watchers reveal, it was probably worth a few laughs.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 10, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Drakengard! Goons!

Out of curiosity, was the spoiler a response to another person speculating or just throwing out the reveal like a jerk? I mean they're a jerk either way, but one way is just kinda rude and possibly accidental, while the second one is a thread equivalent of whipping your genitals out at the dinning room table.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fabulousvillain posted:

Out of curiosity, was the spoiler a response to another person speculating or just throwing out the reveal like a jerk? I mean they're a jerk either way, but one way is just kinda rude and possibly accidental, while the second one is a thread equivalent of whipping your genitals out at the dinning room table.

It's the latter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it is time to get over spoilers made a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

Wonderslug posted:

So no one's going to mention the two-kids-in-a-trenchcoat version of the Robot Elders?
...why can't I help but think that Bender would consider this universe a paradise?

Now I want a crossover between one of Taro's works and Futurama.

Hunt11 posted:

Also I am surprised that no reference was made to the its a healthy baby boy trophy for being Adam.
It's nice to see that I get a trophy for being me.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How many breads have you eaten in your life?
It was enough to **** your mother.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's one negative review of this game that complains about the aliens never showing up.

Thank god people are keeping the tradition of "THIS FISHING GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE 5/10" alive
Link?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it is time to get over spoilers made a decade ago.
So, you're saying that there's no issue if I mention that Bruce Willis was a ghost, Snape killed Dumbledore, and that Vader is Luke's father and Leia's his sister?

On another note, is there a way to multi-quote here outside of constantly opening new tabs for each quote and cutting and pasting?

• Locked thread