Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProRevenge/comments/6a4vfm/the_suck_button_not_my_story/

Some lovely Redditor posted:

Not my story, but I like to read it again from time to time and get a good chuckle:
My band’s drummer, John, is also a sound guy; for several years before we hooked up musically, he had been doing sound for other bands I was in, as well as for touring acts I booked shows for. He’s very good at what he does, and has a pretty massive rig. Anyway, he’s the nicest guy in the world at band practice, at Burger King, or at a gig we’re playing, but when he’s running sound for other bands, he can be pretty crabby. Very little patience for bands who start late or end late. Even less patience for bands who take an encore when they’re the second band playing out of five. Very little patience for singers who ask for more vocals in the monitor while cupping the microphone ball in both hands (feedback, anyone?) In general, just an altogether grouchy sound man. For example, he ran sound once for this seven- or eight piece ska band. One of the trombone players said he needed two mics: one for his horn and one for his backup vocals. Normally at this venue (a 120-seater), John didn’t bother to mic horns at all. Rolling his eyes, John put up a Shure Beta 58 and some AKG condenser mic. “This Shure is for your vocals, and this AKG is for your horn, OK?” he said. “Don’t blow your horn into the vocal mic, because your horn is about 30db louder than your voice and I’m going to have everything mixed properly.” Horn player nods his head. During the second song of the set, apparently this trombonist was set to get a solo. Right before his solo starts, he grabs both mics and pushes them close together, so that the capsules are actually touching. He then blows this fortissimo opening note into BOTH mics. I was sitting at a table in back, by the sound board, at the time. John’s limiters caught most of it, and I STILL had ringing in my ears for two days. At the end of the song, John mutes both of the guy’s mics (and leaves them mute), and basically threatens to ream out the guy’s plumbing with his own horn if he ever pulls that poo poo again. John does this through his talkback mic, which is clearly audible over the monitors. The crowd bursts into laughter, and the horn player goes bright red in the face.
At any rate, for years I had heard John threaten bands with the “suck button.” Bands who were taking too long to set up, or whose members repeatedly refused to follow reasonable directions (please keep that vocal mic away from the monitors!), would be threatened. “Pull that poo poo again, and I’m gonna hit the suck button on you guys!” I took it to mean that he would intentionally make them sound bad, but he never followed through on the threat, so I took it as a vague general warning.

So anyway, a little while back he’s running sound on a four band show. The second band, a Matchbox 20/Train kind of band, has him running 20 minutes behind before they even play a note because their lead guitarist was late. Their allotted set time is 40 minutes, but their last song runs over and by the time it’s done, they’ve played for almost 45 minutes. John says quietly over the talkback mic, “Hey guys, you’re done.” The lead singer says loudly over the vocal mic “Sound man says we gotta get off the stage. We got one more song for you!” as they kick into another soupy jangle-rock tune. John shakes his head at me. Then, the most amazing thing happened. After their “encore,” this band kicks straight into ANOTHER song without announcing it, apparently in the hope that John wouldn’t notice it was a different song.
John leans over to me to be heard over the PA and asks, “Hey, wanna see the suck button?” “Sure,” I replied. I figured he was going to muck with the levels or just turn them off or something. Instead, he reaches to one of his racks and starts scrolling through patches on his trusty DigiTech unit. Sure enough, he gets to a patch titled SUCK BUTTON. He engages it, and all hell breaks loose onstage. The lead singer and the lead guitarist (who was singing backup), immediately start to sing WAY off key. They try to get back in tune, fail, trail off in mid-line, try again, and start glaring at each other. The guitarist is so distracted by this that he starts muffing the chord progression. If not for the drummer, I think the whole song would have derailed. For the entire four minute duration of the song, I was treated to this rear end in a top hat band sounding like crap and getting madder and madder at each other. John explained the patch to me; basically it pitch shifts all tracks from the vocal submix up one step, BUT ONLY IN THE MONITORS. So the audience, out in front of the mains, was treated to the sound of two guys trying to get in tune, only to be utterly confused. If they got it sounding right in the monitors, they could tell that something was grossly wrong in the mains. And each of the singers thought it was the other guy who was singing out of tune. I just about died laughing.

tl;dr - My friend is an awesome sound guy and when bands upset him, he pushes a magic button and suddenly none of them know how to sing in tune anymore because ~*Sound Magic*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
man, this last page has been like physically painful for me, good job guys

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Captain Monkey posted:

tl;dr - My friend is an awesome sound guy and when bands upset him, he pushes a magic button and suddenly none of them know how to sing in tune anymore because ~*Sound Magic*~
From power tripping technician to dick musicians hogging the stage, to the technical explanation and the effect it would cause, this is all constructed pretty plausibly imho.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't play in a band. How noticeable would the pitch difference between the monitors and main speakers be to both the audience and the singers?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't play in a band. How noticeable would the pitch difference between the monitors and main speakers be to both the audience and the singers?

not noticeable to the audience, but the singers would hear themselves singing horribly out of tune when they were in tune, and if they were to adjust to the monitors, would be out of tune for what the audience would hear. honestly it would work incredibly well

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It would be better to just delay the monitors by a quarter of a second.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
For reasons I can't quite answer, I browse Imgur's front page. In about five minutes, I already some poo poo.

Weirdest breakup I've ever experienced

quote:

A little backstory: She was a cool edgy girl and I had a ton of fun being with her. A month into the relationship she told me that she was transexual and that she wants to be a man. I thought her gender change wasn't going to affect our relationship so I went along with it. A month after THAT, she cut her hair, started wearing guy clothes, and started going by Mike (not real name) After that I kind of lost a connection. I refered to him by Mike and him/he but it felt weird. I felt like I was dating a bro and not my honey anymore. I'm not attracted to guys in any way and that's what he was. He figured this out through reading my messages after jokingly taking my phone with my friend explaining that I don't know how to maintain a relationship if I'm not attracted to my partner. He took it very personal and all his friends hate my living guts now. I feel evil and heartless. I don't care if this get down voted I just felt like sharing this. Will delete soon.

Well, I guess this is goodbye, then

quote:

A former girlfriend and I still have feelings for each-other, but we split because of religious differences. The other day she called me and said that if we got back together, I'd have to get rid of my cat.
[Cat pics and statements of "I'm not giving him up" ensue]

Curses

quote:

The last one gets called out in the comments, though its defenders are quick to point out how tiny parts of it seem realistic and therefore its real. And besides, even if it isn't, it's a good story anyways. #makesuthink

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The part that's hard to believe about the first one is that people "hated his guts" for what happened. How could a straight man be in a relationship with a trans man unless they still deep down considered them a woman (or realized they were gay)? I guess it's just fishing for the anti-trans crowd to pat him on the back.

Anyway the past page or two has been really awful (in a good way). It has all of the eye-roll inducing power of troper tales, but instead of just being very boring theater kid bullshit that probably really did happen, they are truly stdh.txt.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The part that's hard to believe about the first one is that people "hated his guts" for what happened. How could a straight man be in a relationship with a trans man unless they still deep down considered them a woman (or realized they were gay)? I guess it's just fishing for the anti-trans crowd to pat him on the back.

Anyway the past page or two has been really awful (in a good way). It has all of the eye-roll inducing power of troper tales, but instead of just being very boring theater kid bullshit that probably really did happen, they are truly stdh.txt.

He didn't actually internalize what his partner being trans would entail because they told him at a time when they were still outwardly effeminate, and thought to try and roll with it because he enjoyed them as a person?

On the flipside, someone transitioning is going through a very rough period in their life and suddenly finding out their partner secretly preferred them as the identity they're trying to transition away from doesn't help matters any.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ishikabibble posted:

He didn't actually internalize what his partner being trans would entail because they told him at a time when they were still outwardly effeminate, and thought to try and roll with it because he enjoyed them as a person?

On the flipside, someone transitioning is going through a very rough period in their life and suddenly finding out their partner secretly preferred them as the identity they're trying to transition away from doesn't help matters any.

I don't see how that contradicts anything about what I said. There's a difference between being sad that your partner isn't attracted to your true identity and "hating their guts" for not being homosexual, especially since he at least gave it a shot and was respectful of the transition.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for a detailed discussion of that. It almost certainly didn't happen anyway, at least not as described.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Partners not being able to understand, or deal with, the gender transition of their other half and ending the relationship is depressingly common. Out of everything in the pile there, that being the one which gets lumped as STDH is a bit weird.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Captain Monkey posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProRevenge/comments/6a4vfm/the_suck_button_not_my_story/

Sounds kinda familiar.... Oh yes.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Stoatbringer posted:

Sounds kinda familiar.... Oh yes.

The anonymous confessions thread in GBS would be infinitely more entertaining if CC would put their efforts towards writing longform STDH confessions based on Far Side cartoons

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Hi Andrew, our daughter is a real human, just like we are!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I think that's a joke by a stand-up comedian.

socalled
Sep 2, 2011

Yes, but you'll never get it.
Not to start a derail, but if you're not attracted to someone anymore, you're not obligated to continue to be their romantic/sexual partner. I'm a lesbian. I am not attracted to men. If I were dating someone who came out as a trans man, that would be the end of the relationship. I would be supportive as a friend, but not as a girlfriend. It's not a lack of open-mindedness to not be attracted to a particular gender. That's kind of a crucial part of my identity.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Ohhhh no

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My dad shaved his beard off once and my mum for real cried and told him she didn't find him hot any more and ordered him to grow it back, so

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My dad shaved his beard off once and my mum for real cried and told him she didn't find him hot any more and ordered him to grow it back, so

My fiancee still gets a little sad every time I shave, which I don't get because I can't grow a proper beard or thick mustache and I don't like how it looks or feels.

She also gets sad when I cut my hair short so it's not as curly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol if you don't secretly wish your wife had a penis so you could blow her

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Vagina repellant

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

socalled posted:

Not to start a derail, but if you're not attracted to someone anymore, you're not obligated to continue to be their romantic/sexual partner. I'm a lesbian. I am not attracted to men. If I were dating someone who came out as a trans man, that would be the end of the relationship. I would be supportive as a friend, but not as a girlfriend. It's not a lack of open-mindedness to not be attracted to a particular gender. That's kind of a crucial part of my identity.
Also don't want a derail, but I feel like I need to say that from my perspective, this is totally fine and often the best outcome for both people in this kind of scenario. Staying in a relationship where your--and their--needs can't be met only leads to resentment and heartbreak. Some people are more flexible in their sexual identity and who they're attracted to, and some people are less, and that's okay. Sexual orientation is no more voluntarily changeable than gender identity. Yes, there are plenty of cases where the partner is transphobic and that's why they refuse to try making it work, but it's totally clear that that isn't the case for you. I personally know that sometimes it can work with a partner who initially feels similarly to how you do, but that doesn't mean that anyone is obligated to stay in any relationship.

Anyway, I can personally believe that particular story. It can be a lot more complicated than the partner not really believing in the trans person's identity, and it is perfectly believable to me that his friends might misinterpret his rejection as transphobia or that the breakup was worse than he described and they're actually mad about that.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I thought that was a photo of an ad on the side of a bus stop which was well confusing. I have to say the whole "photo of message on another phone" angle is funny, enhances credibility for idiots. How hard would it be to make a "photo of another phone" snapchat filter or whatever?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

I thought that was a photo of an ad on the side of a bus stop which was well confusing. I have to say the whole "photo of message on another phone" angle is funny, enhances credibility for idiots. How hard would it be to make a "photo of another phone" snapchat filter or whatever?

Not difficult. It would be a photo of another phone, or multiple phones at different angles and that whole computer screen effect for realism

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

socalled posted:

That is very interesting thank you.

e: http://i.imgur.com/Ep2qh.png

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not to start a derail but I am gonna do it anyway.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat

socalled posted:

The reason I included that one was because it came from Imgur, which loves to mock and hate transgenderism. The post reeks of the poster trying to garner sympathy by reaffirming their lovely views while also making themselves out to be the victim. I figured that would have been more obvious than it was.

Let's all just stand up and applaud so this derail can start stammering and run out the door while I marry Albert Einstein.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:bravo:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"I love this person and think they're cool, but I was unable to maintain an attraction when they transitioned to another gender, and this has caused a lot of friction between me and some mutual friends."

I'm not really seeing what's lovely about that, tbh. A little too self-pitying, but other than the lack of attraction there doesn't seem to be any negativity directly linked to the gender identity of his partner.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

poptart_fairy posted:

"I love this person and think they're cool, but I was unable to maintain an attraction when they transitioned to another gender, and this has caused a lot of friction between me and some mutual friends."

I'm not really seeing what's lovely about that, tbh. A little too self-pitying, but other than the lack of attraction there doesn't seem to be any negativity directly linked to the gender identity of his partner.

It's STDH because imgur is full of bigoted pieces of poo poo that love making up stories where the transperson is the bad guy.

They do it as well with women, gays, blacks, and muslims.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shadow was arguing on the basis of that situation being unbelievable and self serving, though.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

What kind of monster would name a child alexsandriah, drat

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Zelder posted:

What kind of monster would name a child alexsandriah, drat

It's probably still better than Alexa Seary now that the internet of poo poo is a thing.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

It's cold and rainy and you're making memes again goose, do some pushups, make some ramen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

It's an almost literal impossibility to date someone for 3 weeks without knowing they have cancer, especially with all the extraneous poo poo they have to do, both pre-, and post-chemo.

gently caress.