Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm kind of wondering if they're going to do something with the fact that they changed Bilquis from a prostitute in the books to apparently meeting her prey via online dating. Considering the context of the series, changing it from the oldest profession in the world to something as thoroughly modern as online dating seems meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I thought I would definitely not see another "vagina that eats people whole" scene because the effects look really loltastic after the first time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dead comedy forums posted:

I thought I would definitely not see another "vagina that eats people whole" scene because the effects look really loltastic after the first time

Sometimes "show, don't tell" backfires. Hell it would have been more effective if they did the same general thing, but kept a sheet over her lower body so you could imagine the horrors of a giant vagina mouth instead of... what we got.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

R. Mute posted:

I'm kind of wondering if they're going to do something with the fact that they changed Bilquis from a prostitute in the books to apparently meeting her prey via online dating. Considering the context of the series, changing it from the oldest profession in the world to something as thoroughly modern as online dating seems meaningful.

Another goon mentioned before, it feels like they're making her more predatory and less "potential victim" in order to demonstrate that the old gods are just as power hungry and ruthless as the new gods, and I agree.

In the book the John she's with is more pushy, where in the show he's really uncertain about the whole thing, he just wants to hang out and cuddle and she pushes him into it. That wouldn't work if she was a prostitute.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Right, in the book the scene is played as a guy who is not just paying a woman to gently caress him, but being an rear end in a top hat about it, and Bilquis devouring him is played not just for horror, there's a bit of "the guy kinda deserved it" angle that Gaiman spins on it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Another goon mentioned before, it feels like they're making her more predatory and less "potential victim" in order to demonstrate that the old gods are just as power hungry and ruthless as the new gods, and I agree.

In the book the John she's with is more pushy, where in the show he's really uncertain about the whole thing, he just wants to hang out and cuddle and she pushes him into it. That wouldn't work if she was a prostitute.

On top of that, in some interview Fuller said he wanted the imagery of Bilquis to be more empowering for women, which is why Bilquis gets on top, is not a prostitute, and preys on a guy who completely worships her joyfully even before she asks him to.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Bilquis scene in the first ep was acceptable. Another one... not so much.

Are they just gonna have some people get vaginahobbled every episode, as some weird fan service? :confuoot:

Everything else was great though. I need to finish like ~10 minutes right at the end but Czernobog is great.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Maybe I'm just dense but nobody else has mentioned it yet. What was with that scene with Bilquis at the museum? Is her vag-gobbling supposed to be resurrecting her ancient form or something? Or was the scene purely symbolic in that she misses her glory days?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Truant posted:

The Bilquis scene in the first ep was acceptable. Another one... not so much.

Are they just gonna have some people get vaginahobbled every episode, as some weird fan service? :confuoot:

Everything else was great though. I need to finish like ~10 minutes right at the end but Czernobog is great.

I don't think they'll do that too much more, and hope not. They did the one and then they did the second one showing she's been at it, building her power, both with men and women. But now we're seeing her looking at the jewelry, she's moving past it.

Maybe she'd gobble somebody as a plot point at some later stage, but I hope not.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Maybe I'm just dense but nobody else has mentioned it yet. What was with that scene with Bilquis at the museum? Is her vag-gobbling supposed to be resurrecting her ancient form or something? Or was the scene purely symbolic in that she misses her glory days?

Both. You see her actually get younger after she gobbles the first guy, her face looks better. So she's been at it more and she's getting stronger.

I don't wanna get into spoilers but you're about right when it comes to the museum, again, both.

I mean if you really want, you can google her name and find out about her original mythology, same with most of the characters in this show. How much you know of mythology will kinda spoil a bit, but the show's creators said they don't really care about spoilers in that away since its impossible to keep those things a secret, and instead its more about exploring those themes and seeing them with amazing imagery.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 9, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I missed it too until someone pointed it out to me. Her victim in the first episode, among so many other things, also calls her "Secret owner of all gold". Given how sad and weak she looked at the start of ep1, yeah, maybe she's slowly getting powers back, including potential "control" of gold. Maybe as she gets stronger she gets to fling it at supersonic speeds and shred people to bits :allears: .

(I don't think what I said is a spoiler, since it was pointed out to me by 2 people who also hadn't read the book but maybe they also heard it second hand so idk).

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
An old friend of mine was on the makeup and prosthetic team for this. Seeing what she (and a bunch of others, of course) did with Bilquis, Media, etc, make me extremely proud of her and I'm seriously wondering if she'll be going to the Emmy's. I'm also extremely jealous she got to meet all of these people, I think my head would explode

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
My take on the museum thing was how forgotten and misunderstood she is in the modern era. The ceremonial metal bikini was not even laid out properly in the display case because no one cared. Now that she is getting her groove back she fixes it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this episode had a fuckton of awesome but there isn't enough praise for zorya "learning is beneath me" vechernjaja (thanks wikipedia) taking down a bottle of vodka like a boss and her sister asking her to tell Shadow's fortune :buddy:

goddamn this episode owned, whenever I think "hell yea that was awesome" I remember three more moments

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I hope we get "how X God came to be in America" every episode for the rest of the season. These intro segments are fantastic and best part of the episodes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

this episode had a fuckton of awesome but there isn't enough praise for zorya "learning is beneath me" vechernjaja (thanks wikipedia) taking down a bottle of vodka like a boss and her sister asking her to tell Shadow's fortune :buddy:

goddamn this episode owned, whenever I think "hell yea that was awesome" I remember three more moments

Your mother died of cancer?

You no die of cancer.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I hope we get "how X God came to be in America" every episode for the rest of the season. These intro segments are fantastic and best part of the episodes.

I hope we get to see the origin of the new gods as well.

And it be something cool other than first printing press in America then poof Media is next to it.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 9, 2017

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

precision posted:

Sometimes "show, don't tell" backfires. Hell it would have been more effective if they did the same general thing, but kept a sheet over her lower body so you could imagine the horrors of a giant vagina mouth instead of... what we got.

I'm verrry interested in this snippet from (of all places) the food stylist's blog (which contains a bunch of book spoilers so beware):

quote:

I want to tell you about the 3-ft vagina the prosthetic guys originally built for Bilquis’ Big Meal but I’ll get to that story later.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Family is who you survive with, if you need to survive. Even if you do not like them.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Pokemaster #421 posted:

I guess there are worse was to go though!

They all seemed to be pretty happy so :shrug:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So this show keeps doing this thing where a scene is technically a conversation between two parties but the focus is overwhelmingly on one of the two who is given space to go loving ham (Anansi intro, Media intro, Technical Boy intro, post-funeral blow-job offer). Oh man, I hope my girl Kristin gets that too... (according to IMDB she's in many episodes, so she's probably important enough plot-wise).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The show doesn't have enough space dicks

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

etalian posted:

Tbh, I'm just glad we have space dicks at all

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

etalian posted:

You're making a lot of assumptions after two episodes.

Moving from 0 dicks in the first, to 1 dick in the second - assuming exponential growth.... we could be on over 500 dicks in just ten episodes.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

You're making a lot of assumptions after two episodes.

Moving from 0 dicks in the first, to 1 dick in the second - assuming exponential growth.... we could be on over 500 dicks in just ten episodes.

Dude... *2 dicks* in the second. You're gonna need a bigger chart. Though there are (unfortunately) only 8 eps in this season...

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sorry - chart is specifically space-dicks, my bad labelling is to blame.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Guys, guys, please, don't fight. There will be enough dicks for everyone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Desperado Bones posted:

Guys, guys, please, don't fight. There will be enough dicks for everyone.

Please put that into spoiler tags

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rejoice! Fans of American Gods have a new annoying fan nick name of their own

https://twitter.com/hashtag/godsquad?lang=en

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

By season three the show will be nothing but a field of dicks, standing as proud and multitudinous as American corn, and I hope it wins all the awards

I feel like I'm neglecting Better Call Saul with how much this show has monopolized that part of my brain

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Are you all avshalom parachute accounts or what

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When will the Great Likpa make his appearance?

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Steve Yun posted:

Rejoice! Fans of American Gods have a new annoying fan nick name of their own

https://twitter.com/hashtag/godsquad?lang=en

Ugh. I really hate the social media marketing for this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Crow Jane posted:

By season three the show will be nothing but a field of dicks, standing as proud and multitudinous as American corn, and I hope it wins all the awards

It must be so much fun for Bryan Fuller after three years of NBC telling him,"Yeah okay you can create a silo full of corpse-art but lord help me there better not be any unblurred buttcracks! :argh:"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haven't read the books. Do we have a consensus on Wednesday being Odin? or are people on the fence?

I already knew about Czernobog, my ex was Serbian.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Haven't read the books. Do we have a consensus on Wednesday being Odin? or are people on the fence?

Czernobog refers to him by the name Wotan in the episode, which was one of the spellings of Odin's name. I think that's confirmation enough.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just checking, some people don't know all that stuff. I loved all the innuendo, Ian McShane is so drat charismatic. Ricky Whittle is doing a great job.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Steve Yun posted:

On top of that, in some interview Fuller said he wanted the imagery of Bilquis to be more empowering for women, which is why Bilquis gets on top, is not a prostitute, and preys on a guy who completely worships her joyfully even before she asks him to.

Does that mean there'll be equal amounts of space dicks and space vaginas?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

When they are driving there is a raven's shadow on top of the car

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fried Watermelon posted:

When they are driving there is a raven's shadow on top of the car

Yes but I've heard that all people are stupid and could never make that connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Yes but I've heard that all people are stupid and could never make that connection.

That was a week ago and you can stop being a passive-aggressive douche about it now thanks.