Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Starshark posted:

I already mail them my turds, so why not.

I didn't know you were a Murdoch columnist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

The army only takes those capable of doing the job. You wouldn't want a bludger defending our country! (in response to a person saying dole recipients should be forced into the army)

YOU WOULDN'T TRUST A BLUDGER WITH YOUR LIFE

You always find that the "make them join the army" people have never actually been in the armed forces themselves.

Or they did serve but they're so old that it's a vague and distant memory, and it turns out they only did national service at their local barracks a lifetime ago.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Real talk: drug testing welfare recipients is off the loving hook and must be a violation of something.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

JBP posted:

Real talk: drug testing welfare recipients is off the loving hook and must be a violation of something.

The Greens aren't going to be quiet about it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/09/first-dog-on-the-moons-big-day-at-the-2017-budget

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

Oh thank goodness.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah this is hosed and I really hope this leads to some meaningful activism (not holding my breath lmao, who cares about us poors)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

starkebn posted:

Which Green splinter groups? The Greens, the Real Greens, the Provisional Greens, the Continuity Greens, the Green Liberation Army, or the Green Liberation Front?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 9, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Der Grüne Armee Fraktion.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Which Green splinter groups? The Greens, the Real Greens, the Provisional Greens, the Continuity Greens, the Green Liberation Army, or the Green Liberation Front?

Watermelon Greens

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Whens the next poll?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
drug test the reffos how bow dah

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

I encourage every Australian to eat poppy seed buns.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"The treasurer has reset the economy"

Hmmmm where have I heard this before?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bu...57c89fe8d5df2af

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Who could have guessed that the toiletgraph wouldn't have the worst budget front page. Queensland proving they're the shittest once again.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Is that the budget written on the toilet paper? That illustration looks sarcastic as gently caress to me. The fake crocodile, the next 3 years are full of holes...

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 9, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

tithin posted:

can't speak for APRA requirements, but I can tell you that my particular employer's cracked down loving hard on i/o loans in both commercial and consumer space. so have other banks. This will have been driven by apra, but I sort of suspect it's also been driven by looming paranoia.

you need a damned good reason to get i/o now and "accountant advice" will result in a hard "decline"

Are the banks' public statements different to what is being said internally about the housing bubble?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

So ScoMo wants to fund the Melbourne to Brisbane inland rail network, but which gauge will they use?

both, probably. it'll gradually widen/narrow along the way to match the state's gauge

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Inland rail will have about 500km of new rail corridor, the remaining 1200km advertised will be existing track (with some upgrades).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Ora Tzo posted:

Whens the next poll?

Essential Research: 54-46 to Labor

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the whole budget amounts to "couldn't balance the books so just raised taxes".

Because there is no way the bank levy won't be 100% passed on to consumers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Amazing how quickly some low/middle-class peeps come out swinging for the drug-testing of Centrelink recipients. Like lmao if you think its going to stop the "bludgers" or whatever, must be amazing to have the temporarily embarrassed millionaire mindset

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also lol, if the government drug tested the pension they'd find a bunch of old liberal voters on opioids.

But no they will hit Youth Allowance and Newstart because the kids are injecting weed into their assholes and eating baby meat.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Every single time they say they're going to save money on welfare cheats they save nothing because they all know the only ones who do cheat in any numbers are the OAP and they're never going to fix that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It turns out Turnbull is really quite good at tidying up old messes

Annabel Crabb, ABC News

You can tell a lot about a budget by looking at who it punishes. And basically, this budget targets anyone who's ever appeared on A Current Affair accompanied by a low, menacing soundtrack.

Banks! Big, greedy, bullying, farmer-persecuting banks. They'll be shaken down for $6 billion, to be poured directly — to the jeers and catcalls from a grateful bank-account-having public — into the parched well of Treasurer Scott Morrison's general revenue.

Foreigners! This budget will fine employers who hire foreigners, and pour the money into a giant $1.2 billion fund, which will train decent Australians, like the ones in the Bill Shorten ads, in useful new skills.

"We must skill more Australians to secure jobs!" declared Mr Morrison.

And it turns out foreign workers are going to finance Mr Morrison's skilling spree.

They will be pinged $5,000 if they buy an Australian house and fail to put someone in it (a measure that, it is understood, will be policed by a voluntary army of cheesed-off neighbours) and prohibited from buying more than half the units in any development.

A handful of giant foreign companies, the Treasurer shyly revealed, will be contributing $4 billion in tax revenue this financial year thanks to the "Google tax" he announced last year.

Also, we will be cutting our foreign aid budget by another $300 million, in order to beef up domestic security. Take that, third world!

Budget especially tough on drunk, stoned dole bludgers

Dole bludgers! Always a popular target, this category has been whittled by Mr Morrison's busy scalpel down to a narrow point of pure reprehensibility — this budget, he explained, would be especially tough on dole bludgers who are drunk and stoned.

"We will no longer accept, as an excuse from repeat offenders, that the reason they could not meet their mutual obligation requirements was because they were drunk or drug-affected," he explained.

Such non-excuse-havers, from now on, will lose half their fortnight's dole at the first offence, all of it at the second, and a month's suspension for the third.

(This measure, it must be said, feels vaguely un-Australian. After all, Tony Abbott once got so liquored-up he slept through several parliamentary votes on the Global Financial Crisis stimulus package, and we didn't dock his benefits — we made him prime minister!)

Another significant target of this budget? Bill Shorten, who will find it difficult to construct a spirited denunciation of a document — large tracts of which could pretty much have been written, at various points in the past five years, by the Labor Party.

As the Treasurer, inside the budget lockup, moved into his fifth sonorous minute of explaining how there is good debt and there is bad debt, one could almost hear Wayne Swan's intellectual property lawyers drafting the breach of copyright notification.

Roads! Nationalising the Snowy! Aussie jobs first! Bash the banks! Fully funding the National Disability Insurance Scheme! A needs-based schools funding model! If you closed your eyes, you could have been in the Caucus room.

The political effrontery of this budget, it seems, knows no bounds.

Its gout of nation-building even extends to funding the second Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek — a project that was embarked upon three decades ago by Bob Hawke.

Mr Shorten can give a Gonski all he likes, it seems. It's when Malcolm Turnbull takes a Gonski that the game changes.

Non-ideological budget pursues Labor and Coalition schemes

"This is not a budget for ideologues; this is a budget for Australians who want the Government to do its job," Mr Morrison said in his press conference.

And behind the screech of the headlines, this is indeed a remarkably non-ideological document.

It pursues Labor schemes as well as Coalition ones.

It dumps $17 billion worth of measures from the 2014 budget — Mr Abbott's first — that had been hanging around so long they smelled weird.

It gives money back to the Australia Council and to community legal centres which were gutted in 2014.

It restores concession cards for pensioners and the indexation of Medicare rebates.

It cracks into the ancient Gordian knot of media ownership reforms by abolishing the licence fee for free-to-air broadcasters.

It even tidies up the age-old, ridiculous saga of the Mersey Hospital in Tasmania, which Mr Abbott as health minister bought for $1 in 2007, to demonstrate his new model of federal hospital management.

Ten years later, in this budget, Mr Morrison pays the Tasmanians $730 million to take the hospital back.

Life is strange isn't it?

When Mr Turnbull became Prime Minister, it was fancied he'd be an activist, a visionary — a prime minister who would wield a mighty sword and ride into battle.

It turns out what he's really quite good at is tidying up old messes.

He's a fixer, who snaps on the Marigolds and wades into the reeking, grime-encrusted political imbroglios of the past — even those on his own side — with an industrial-strength rubbish bag and a smile on his face.

He'll be punished for it internally, no doubt, but there are worse things to be.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Breaking news

It appears a protester has doused themselves in a flammable substance outside Parliament House before being attended to by emergency services. More on that as it comes to hand.

Oh dear.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turn on ABC
ANTHONY ALBANESE LEADERSHIP SPECULATION
Turn off ABC

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Drug tests for job seekers seems like a can't lose proposition for the libs, it appeals to the base, is irrelevant to most of the rest of everyone, and provides an opportunity to paint the greens (who were inevitably going to take the bait) as bonkers. The budget is huge and contains lots they should be criticised; any focus spent on the drug thing distracts from the other bits that might actually have an impact on voters.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/story-streams/federal-budget-2017/2017-05-10/federal-budget-2017-lambie-drug-test-call-for-politicians/8512902

Federal budget 2017: Lambie welcomes welfare drug tests, calls for same regime for politicians

Tasmanian senator Jacqui Lambie speaks to the media outside of Parliament
Jacqui Lambie says politicians need to show leadership by submitting to drug tests.
Random drug tests of politicians should happen as soon as they walk through the doors of Parliament, Tasmanian senator Jacqui Lambie says, adding she welcomes testing for welfare recipients.

Senator Lambie's comments follow budget measures announced by Treasurer Scott Morrison last night that 5,000 new welfare recipients would be required to undergo drug testing, with those who test positive to be forced onto a Centrelink income-management scheme, which controls how a recipient spends their money.

They will also face referrals for treatment under the new rules.

Ms Lambie, who has spoken publicly of her family's battle with drug addiction, and has previously called for mandatory treatment of ice users, said parliamentarians should "lead by example".

"It is about time politicians led by example and both on the Senate side and the House of Reps, there should be random drug testing as you come through the doors," she said.

"It won't hurt them [politicians]. They are paid by the taxpayer, just like welfare is, and I think for them to show some leadership in this, that is exactly what should be done," Senator Lambie said.

No point testing without rehab in place: Lambie
Drug testing for welfare beneficiaries would be pointless unless it was accompanied by a treatment plan, Senator Lambie said.

"As long as they put a plan into place to make sure that these people receive treatment and a fair go to get back on their feet, otherwise there is no point drug testing anybody," she said.

Senator Lambie said there was virtually nothing in the Federal Budget for Tasmania, but congratulated the Government on including funding for Missiondale Recovery Centre, a residential recovery program in rural Tasmania.

Ms Lambie won praise in March following an emotional plea to Government members to reconsider welfare cuts, speaking of her own struggles as a single mother on the disability support pension for seven years.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

foolish_fool posted:

Drug tests for job seekers seems like a can't lose proposition for the libs, it appeals to the base, is irrelevant to most of the rest of everyone, and provides an opportunity to paint the greens (who were inevitably going to take the bait) as bonkers. The budget is huge and contains lots they should be criticised; any focus spent on the drug thing distracts from the other bits that might actually have an impact on voters.

i agree, opposing bad things that only affect a small number of people is a bad idea, which is why hitler did nothing wr

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 10, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

BBJoey posted:

i agree, opposing bad things that only affect a small number of people is a bad idea, which is why hitler did nothing wr

she's not-so-slyly making GBS threads on the idea

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i was referring to foolish_fool's post, not jacqui; i didn't notice the post before mine

starkebn
May 18, 2004

BBJoey posted:

i was referring to foolish_fool's post, not jacqui; i didn't notice the post before mine

:thumbup:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Already had four conversations this morning about how people get tested for drugs at their work, so why not test welfare. It's just Common Sense.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JBP posted:

Already had four conversations this morning about how people get tested for drugs at their work, so why not test welfare. It's just Common Sense.

well, all those safety concerns for people who can't find work right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

well, all those safety concerns for people who can't find work right?

Office workers get tested for drugs at a lot of corporations that also employ blue collar workers to make it fair, so try again.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JBP posted:

Office workers get tested for drugs at a lot of corporations that also employ blue collar workers to make it fair, so try again.

they still may be affected in performing their duties correctly, so try harder. I guess safety wasn't the correct way of putting it initially

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

foolish_fool posted:

Quality Aus Pol trolling.

Now we have gotten a little past the froth and bubble of the budget it's time to look at some of the underlying assumptions. My favourite is the wages growth projections.

Actual situation.

Budget forecast? http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/09/growth-deficit-forecasts-hinge-wages

quote:

The federal government's forecasts for economic growth and a return to surplus have sparked a sceptical response from economists and ratings agencies.

Wage growth will leap from 1.8 per cent in the December quarter of 2016 to 3.75 per cent in 2020/21, according to the federal budget released on Tuesday.

The government believes the pick-up in wage growth will help boost consumption spending, which is critical to overall economic growth.

Gross domestic product is forecast to be 1.75 per cent in the financial year ending June 30, before leaping to 2.75 per cent in 2017/18 and rising to three per cent in 2018/19.

:itwaspoo:

-/-

Lets just randomly drug and bomb residue test everyone! Oh wait, we already do.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Considering that our economy needs, on average, about 5% unemployment to not tank one way or the other horribly, punishing people on the dole for trying to not feel like poo poo is really just punitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

they still may be affected in performing their duties correctly, so try harder. I guess safety wasn't the correct way of putting it initially

Poor people on welfare that are driving to job interviews as a requirement are also performing their duties.

• Locked thread