Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you don't like David (what the hell is wrong with you?), you won't like Covenant. It's not an exaggeration to say it's a movie about David more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CDHiggs posted:

I honestly think I'm going to have to reconsider my stance on Alien 3 after having seen the recent Alien Covenant footage, and after having read the reviews.

It looks like absolute poo poo--and even worse, absolute poo poo with more of dumb David and less xenomorph action. In fact, this whole loving film has the switcheroo stench of Halloween 3. And Danny McBride being the best thing about a film? Glad to see this generation's Tom Arnold getting some well-deserved credit. Good grief.

I mean, Alien 3 at least had Fincher...what does this one have? A desperate Ridley Scott trying to go crazy with the gore? Thank god they didn't let him near the directing chair for the Blade Runner sequel. Or maybe they did and fate just prevailed?

How the gently caress do you not like Halloween 3?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Black Bones posted:

Never leave the ship, it's not worth it! Even in non-horror sci-fi: I dunno why anyone in Star Trek ever steps onto a teleporter, I'd just wait for a shuttle. poo poo is terrifying

Well in the Star Trek universe, the teleporter is the kindest death, you peacefully phase out of existence and send a clone off to die a horrible death.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's funny how all these big budget sci fi movies ALWAYS portray advanced alien cultures as a single super clean city on a planet. Like if you visited earth, there'd be poo poo everywhere. Overcrowded slums. Big dirty factories and mines. Hookers and criminals.

I want to see a fat prostitute engineer. Hopefully wearing a hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bugblatter posted:

If you don't like David (what the hell is wrong with you?), you won't like Covenant. It's not an exaggeration to say it's a movie about David more than anything else.

This is why I'm so excited for Covenant. David is right up there with Ripley as the series best character.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean, the alien almost feels stapled on to the movie about David that Ridley really wanted to make. So fellow David fans, be excited.

But about the alien, I love how much Ridley portrays it walking upright with perfect posture like a human. It's goofy and campy in the most awesome way. He just does not give a gently caress about its portrayals in any of the movies he did not direct.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

CelticPredator posted:

I believe the idea was, it was an invitation to evolve and be able to one day join them, but the humans, their creations, disgusted them and killed one of them on earth (Jesus) and thus this made them want to exterminate them all.

The Jesus thing was a throwaway idea that Ridley Scott mentioned jokingly in an interview. Its not any kind of key to understanding the movie's backstory, its more like how at one point in Alien they were going to have the creature able to copy Ripley's voice perfectly.

Bugblatter posted:

But about the alien, I love how much Ridley portrays it walking upright with perfect posture like a human. It's goofy and campy in the most awesome way. He just does not give a gently caress about its portrayals in any of the movies he did not direct.

I'm glad you said that because in most of the footage released so far it seems like the opposite.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

It was a joke video. Jay has said many times on the RLM forum.

They've soured on it since, but that video was not made to bash Prometheus.

I think they played it safe and they compared it to starwars episode 2. It has been teased that there could be a Mr. Plinkett review of it.

I had no idea they made one making fun of the additional information included on the DVDs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXZVgzLP68

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 9, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm glad you said that because in most of the footage released so far it seems like the opposite.

The neomorphs are more animalistic. But the classic alien, though it can crawl on walls, always walks around like a human when it's the floor.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shaocaholica posted:

It's funny how all these big budget sci fi movies ALWAYS portray advanced alien cultures as a single super clean city on a planet. Like if you visited earth, there'd be poo poo everywhere. Overcrowded slums. Big dirty factories and mines. Hookers and criminals.

I want to see a fat prostitute engineer. Hopefully wearing a hat.

Counterpoint: Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

GotG's space setting was so dirty you couldn't tell one shot element from another

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Shaocaholica posted:

I find it ironic that people like to link the red letter media Prometheus gag video to show how dumb the movie is when red letter media actually gave the movie a favorable review.

Turns out you can enjoy a film and think it's ludicrous.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
GotG is great. Space Opera with a 70s / 80s comic aesthetic ala Starblazer, an incongruous soundtrack from the same era, and characters you care about with actual payoffs. When the first one came out it was quite unique. I think I like the second one even more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord Krangdar posted:

The Jesus thing was a throwaway idea that Ridley Scott mentioned jokingly in an interview. Its not any kind of key to understanding the movie's backstory, its more like how at one point in Alien they were going to have the creature able to copy Ripley's voice perfectly.

Yes, I said that it wasn't based off anything but an offhanded comment.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

MonsieurChoc posted:

How the gently caress do you not like Halloween 3?

Pieces of Stonehenge! Microchips! Masks! Snakes and bugs!

Too weird to be bad; too dumb to be good.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Biomute posted:

GotG is great. Space Opera with a 70s / 80s comic aesthetic ala Starblazer, an incongruous soundtrack from the same era, and characters you care about with actual payoffs. When the first one came out it was quite unique. I think I like the second one even more.

totally agree. loved the second one. poignant and weird and absolutely idiosyncratic and amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I believe the idea was, it was an invitation to evolve and be able to one day join them, but the humans, their creations, disgusted them and killed one of them on earth (Jesus) and thus this made them want to exterminate them all.

But something went wrong and the black goo got it and poo poo just didn't pan out that way.

Half of this is stuff said on the side not so much in the film itself, so take it however you want.

Wasn't that some leftover stuff from Spaihts' original (terrible) script, where Jesus was an Engineer?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe so yes. I never read it. The only time I heard good things about it was whenever people attacked Prometheus for not being a straight up alien film, which that script sort of was.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Someone that doesn't like Halloween 3, Danny McBride, and David are basically the opposite of my sense of humor because all three things I find hilarious.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I believe so yes. I never read it. The only time I heard good things about it was whenever people attacked Prometheus for not being a straight up alien film, which that script sort of was.

Yeah, that script was a direct Alien prequel; basically black goo > egg > xeno > crashed derelict.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prometheus' Christ figure is explicitly the slimy alien nicknamed 'the deacon', whose brother is shown literally crucified on a mural. Christ is abject, suffering, human.

The cave painting looks like an invitation, but then put on the They Live sunglasses. Now what does it say? It's a display of pure power. "Obey us."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
good good

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/09/alien-covenant-sequel-will-begin-shooting-within-14-months-says-ridley-scott

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Prometheus' Christ figure is explicitly the slimy alien nicknamed 'the deacon', whose brother is shown literally crucified on a mural. Christ is abject, suffering, human.

The cave painting looks like an invitation, but then put on the They Live sunglasses. Now what does it say? It's a display of pure power. "Obey us."

Yeah, the Deacon is humanity- abandoned by its creator. But also the child of a God, and doomed to die for the sin of its birth.

It's kind of amazing how much Scott manages to do with one shot.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, the Deacon is humanity- abandoned by its creator. But also the child of a God, and doomed to die for the sin of its birth.

Really all I read from that scene was "you assholes wanted an alien."

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Shaocaholica posted:

I want to see a fat prostitute engineer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Despera posted:

Really all I read from that scene was "you assholes wanted an alien."

Oh, that's there for sure. But it's also "you are the loving alien, this whole theater is full of aliens."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

That's the rub, though, because people ignore the shot and look instead to ancillary materials.

When people talk about wanting 'answers', what they mean is a synopsis - a Cliff's Notes version of the film to replace the actual film. So a decontextualized quote from an interview on Movies.com bears more weight than the actual movie that's directly in front of your face.

This is, unfortunately, why Aliens is the most popular of the films.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

That's the rub, though, because people ignore the shot and look instead to ancillary materials.

When people talk about wanting 'answers', what they mean is a synopsis - a Cliff's Notes version of the film to replace the actual film. So a decontextualized quote from an interview on Movies.com bears more weight than the actual movie that's directly in front of your face.

People fail to understand Christ and turn to the canon. What is old is new again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bizarrely, lots of people bang on about a pretty straightforward albeit exposition-heavy film like Inception being "too confusing". i'd rather have ridley's undercooked weirdo theme plots and gorgeous monsters

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

alf_pogs posted:

bizarrely, lots of people bang on about a pretty straightforward albeit exposition-heavy film like Inception being "too confusing".

It's not so bizarre: Inception is deemed "too confusing" because there's so much exposition. People still demand a plot synopsis, but Inception's plot synopsis is substantially longer than the actual film and requires complex graphs + charts. (See also: Primer).

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Could anyone here maybe provide a decontextualized Cliff's Notes version of the Spathis script? I've never be able to bring myself to read the whole thing, but am morbidly curious.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could anyone here maybe provide a decontextualized Cliff's Notes version of the Spathis script? I've never be able to bring myself to read the whole thing, but am morbidly curious.

David learns to think in trinary code (that's how they describe it) and becomes a very overtly antagonistic villain instead of the ambiguous sad trickster genie, also lots of fan fictiony encounters with aliens. I mostly just remember it being bad, retreading the alien canon a lot more, and being not nearly as imaginative as Prometheus.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 10, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

In terms of plot beats, the most substantial difference was instead of urns of goo they find traditional alien eggs, David is much more overtly and two dimensionally evil, and instead of goo infections/snakes down throats people get facehugged, leaning to a traditional xeno in the final act. Otherwise the film's plot points are much the same. Spaiht's draft had a lot of extra clunky exposition for everything though. A lot of characters exist just to describe the mechanical workings of things in a very stilted manner.

Jesus being an Engineer was never in any script, it was an idea that was floated in a brain storming session and quickly shot down because it was too on the nose. Ridley just liked the thematic aspect, so he added some allusions to cruciforms and set the film on Christmas.

There were also some other elements from Spaihts script that were kept in Lindelof's but never filmed. The biggest being David visiting Weyland in his dreams to update him on the mission's progress.

Actually, a fair amount of the unused stuff from Spaihts script makes its way into Covenant, funny enough. Though I think it's handled a lot better in this film than in his script.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It is like the coolest version of Prometheus.

quote:

WATTS:
No. I brought it in.
(hefts her gun)
I took it out.

Also hes a link where they talk about it for alittle.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23428/how-alien-engineers-differs-from-prometheus

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 10, 2017

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Darko posted:

Someone that doesn't like Halloween 3, Danny McBride, and David are basically the opposite of my sense of humor because all three things I find hilarious.

Time to fight!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Another Tested video, this time about the spacesuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBMnlPte9Y

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I heard someone was making GBS threads on Halloween 3 in here. Not cool man, not cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bugblatter posted:

There were also some other elements from Spaihts script that were kept in Lindelof's but never filmed. The biggest being David visiting Weyland in his dreams to update him on the mission's progress.

I'm almost positive this is in Prometheus. We don't actually see Weyland's dreams but David definitely checks in on him, and Vickers confronts him and demands to know what he said, and he replies, "Try harder."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I'm almost positive this is in Prometheus. We don't actually see Weyland's dreams but David definitely checks in on him.

Yea but the big difference there is that in the version where we see the dreams Guy Pearce was actually supposed to play the part without any of the makeup on, hence why they felt the need to cast a young guy and put makeup on him in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but the big difference there is that in the version where we see the dreams Guy Pearce was actually supposed to play the part without any of the makeup on, hence why they felt the need to cast a young guy and put makeup on him in the first place.

I love the how we never see young Weyland. The old man makeup screams at the audience that a young version will crop up, instead he gets beat to death.

e: well we do get a young Weyland in the TED Talk marketing video, which was also cool