Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Hellboy 2 was basically a PG-13 remake of Blade II so I guess they figured they'd go all out for this.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

New director and star, sure, that's okay, it never seemed like Hellboy 3 was a big priority.

But the R rating is a bit odd- the comic isn't really aimed at kids but it's not loaded with blood, sex, or even much swearing.

Hellboy comics can get pretty bloody whenever there are vampires or any monsters with teeth and claws in them. You even get entire issues about Abe and Hellboy bleeding.

And while there is little actual sex, Mignola sure loves himself some topless female monsters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neo Rasa posted:

Hellboy 2 was basically a PG-13 remake of Blade II so I guess they figured they'd go all out for this.

No, this is a dumb thing to say.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

yeah, of all of the many, many comic book properties that would benefit from an R-rating, Hellboy is probably not one of them. Which is ironic given the idea is a helldemon that investigates paranormal crime, which sounds like it could make a very cool R-rated movie, but when I think of Hellboy I don't think of excess violence or swearing or "adult themes" in the R-rated sense.

Now, if you take that exact press release, just replacing the word "Hellboy" with "Spawn" (and Mike Mignola with Todd McFarlane) you'd have a dopeass idea. Maybe that's what happened; some idiot producer thought he was buying Spawn but bought Hellboy instead because "they're both hell thingies from comics that my kid liked when he was 15".

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Hellboy doesn't need and won't benefit from a 'reboot'. Just leave it loving alone and do something new

Like spawn......yeah

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
When are we gonna get that film of The Goon? :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sure, Del Toro and Perlman tried to get a Hellboy 3 off the ground a few months ago. So rebooting it seems like a good idea.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/861314755398643713

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Hellboy doesn't need and won't benefit from a 'reboot'. Just leave it loving alone and do something new

Like spawn......yeah

Does Preacher go to hell eventually?

Just do that. Preacher s2: Eugene's Bogus Journey or w/e

Would watch.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

They share the same director and actor for main baddy but I'm curious what other similarities you saw.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ragtag group fights evil prince who threatens to disrupt the current order

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Ragtag group fights evil prince who threatens to disrupt the current order

Hamlet was basically a remake of Blade II.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DC Murderverse posted:

Now, if you take that exact press release, just replacing the word "Hellboy" with "Spawn" (and Mike Mignola with Todd McFarlane) you'd have a dopeass idea. Maybe that's what happened; some idiot producer thought he was buying Spawn but bought Hellboy instead because "they're both hell thingies from comics that my kid liked when he was 15".

Who would stranger things guy play in Spawn

syscall girl posted:

Does Preacher go to hell eventually?

No

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Saint of Killers goes to hell and kills the devil.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Alhazred posted:

The Saint of Killers goes to hell and kills the devil.

Yes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Sure, Del Toro and Perlman tried to get a Hellboy 3 off the ground a few months ago. So rebooting it seems like a good idea.

I dunno, I would've liked a scaled back, more personal Hellboy 3 with Perlman and co. to cap off their run. I love the beat the second one ends on and it's a shame we'll never get a follow through.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ruddiger posted:

I dunno, I would've liked a scaled back, more personal Hellboy 3 with Perlman and co. to cap off their run. I love the beat the second one ends on and it's a shame we'll never get a follow through.

I still love GTD stories about pitching Hellboy to studios and their responses.

"Does he have to be red?"
"Does he have to be a demon?"

And my favorite:

Studio: "Couldn't he be a regular guy who when he gets mad turns into Hellboy?"
GDT: "No. That's the Hulk."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DC Murderverse posted:

Now, if you take that exact press release, just replacing the word "Hellboy" with "Spawn" (and Mike Mignola with Todd McFarlane) you'd have a dopeass idea.

It wasn't a dopeass idea in 1997, and it wouldn't be a dopeass idea now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

They share the same director and actor for main baddy but I'm curious what other similarities you saw.

A mysterious and ruthless new power player enters the scene who speaks about reclaiming his birthright and what's rightfully his, but also about how he hates what his people are doing.

A woman from a near immortal supernatural race approaches the good guys seeking assistance stopping this new threat.

Her+the good guys must navigate a supernatural underworld society only few know how to enter to learn more and find agents of this guys.

The guy turns out to be her brother and hates what has happened to their people because of the actions of his dad, who he perceives as a craven coward instead of someone trying to keep their folks low key to just survive. He kills him, fully turning her sister against him.

There's more but in general If you swap acts 2 and 3 of Hellboy 2 it would be almost feel beat for beat instead of just extremely similar.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Strain is literally just the vampires from Blade 2 only cheaper and more incompetent on every level and stretched out to three seasons instead of two hours.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That dog movie Max has a sequel and now Max is in the Doggy Secret Service protecting the President.

quote:

Duty calls again, and our hero dog Max returns to action in "Max 2: White House Hero." His new assignment brings him to Washington, D.C. to serve on the U.S. president's Secret Service detail. When a foreign leader arrives with his precocious daughter Alex (Francesca Capaldi), tensions arise between both countries. First Son TJ (Zane Austin), along with Max and Alex, uncover a dangerous plot that puts both kids and both nations in jeopardy. A highly-sensitive mission will push Max’s specialized skills, intelligence and loyalty to the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZnMQXdOhmQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is this a prequel to Max: Head of the FBI?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Max fails.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The dog cop movie just reminded me of a question.

Why was the movie called "A Dog's Purpose" and not "A Dog's Duty?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope many people die in that movie so that the ending is "the Constitution does not a say a dog can't be president".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Schwarzwald posted:

The dog cop movie just reminded me of a question.

Why was the movie called "A Dog's Purpose" and not "A Dog's Duty?"

/In extremely Vanellope voice

you said doody!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They had this great pun and they just left it lying on the floor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

parallelodad posted:

I hope Max fails.

Max is gonna get fired because he doesn't look down at poors.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Max is gonna get fired because he doesn't look down at poors.

Dogs can't look down at poors.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

parallelodad posted:

Dogs can't look down at poors.

No, no, no, dogs can't look up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Leavemywife posted:

No, no, no, dogs can't look up.

Why would you look up at poors?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

To make sure they're cleaning your gutters properly?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

When youre recruiting them for your Basketball Team

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Barudak posted:

When youre recruiting them for your Basketball Team

Why would President Dog not just recruit the Air Buddies for his basketball team

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Air Buddies died of parvo because of how bad the pet healthcare system is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, but they were replaced with body doubles that were presumably of comparable athletic ability.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is a rule that dogs can't play basketball

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wait let me check that

It's not in the rule book that a dog can't pack a gun!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fried Watermelon posted:

"Well, that settles it, then. Without some kind of high-level intervention, the dog can't play."
"Coach, there's a phone call for you! It's President Dog!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This white guy:

is playing this Hawaiian guy:

in Ni'ihau, a movie about the downed fighter pilot Shigenori Nishikaichi who crashed near Ni'ihau after the Pearl Harbor raid and eventually stopped by Ben Kanahele and his wife (after the pilot was helped by a Japan-born resident of the island) People are upset at yet another whitewashing, with good reason.

• Locked thread