Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Are there any fun endless space 2 youtube or twitch dudes to watch to see if i will buy this game?? or heck, link yourselves...if u dare mwahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Anybody have any tips for playing on Endless difficulty in Endless Legend? I can win on impossible pretty easily but endless seems super unforgiving. I think I mostly need help on the mitary side of things, when to be aggressive/conquering and so on.

On a related note, how the hell do you play the Allayi effectively? I feel like unless I get really lucky with luxuries early I just get stomped by bigger empires. And seekers are great for searching ruins and such but absolutely garbage at actual combat. I have been watching SB on youtube and his Allayi series is 5 times longet than any of the others due to multiple losses, are they just weak?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Blisster posted:

On a related note, how the hell do you play the Allayi effectively? I feel like unless I get really lucky with luxuries early I just get stomped by bigger empires. And seekers are great for searching ruins and such but absolutely garbage at actual combat. I have been watching SB on youtube and his Allayi series is 5 times longet than any of the others due to multiple losses, are they just weak?

They're weak in the sense that it's harder to do well with them than a lot of other races; their early growth is purposely stunted, which means they have a harder time getting a snowball rolling. That said, if you build Monks & Skyfins you'll have a really potent military, which you'll need because even if you pursue the Quest victory you'll need to capture 3 enemy cities to satisfy their last faction quest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Speaking of things to talk about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHLH_e12o0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGGOCNWX7AA

Here's hoping for a launch/Unfallen update video sooner rather than later that goes more into them and how they look and play.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

^^ nice

Unfallen update is out

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/524-data-cache-found-unfallen-revealed

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i bought es1 recently when it was 1 buck, but i do think it has some issues: the interface isnt great, combat involves a lot of busywork card clicking as does upgrading planets, despite the unique factions you kinda end up doing the same thing with a lot of them and the ai are just total pushovers, how much does es2 improve this

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those Unfallen look really cool. Fair play Amplitude elevated that design.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Davincie posted:

i bought es1 recently when it was 1 buck, but i do think it has some issues: the interface isnt great, combat involves a lot of busywork card clicking as does upgrading planets, despite the unique factions you kinda end up doing the same thing with a lot of them and the ai are just total pushovers, how much does es2 improve this

My main issue with ES1 is that it is a bad game. I hope that ES2 improves upon this by being a good game instead.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
There's still one unreleased major faction, and the Vaulters and Harmony are still in the files. Perhaps one of them will make a return.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Vaulters are in kind of a weird place for me, because their lore is moderately interesting, their gimmick (the teleport and Holy Resource) is admittedly cool, and their gameplay is otherwise really boring due to their "turtle, grind out a huge technological advantage, and then tank rush" playstyle. I found the Pilgrims more interesting - at least they have a really unique endgame what with terraforming the entire galaxy into gas giants, and using a governor hero to basically steal a freshly conquered system via Fleet Errant pretty much owns.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

There's still one unreleased major faction, and the Vaulters and Harmony are still in the files. Perhaps one of them will make a return.

Isn't this the Unfallen? Or did you mean another one, after them?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Avasculous posted:

Isn't this the Unfallen? Or did you mean another one, after them?

I admit it, it could easily be a little sloppy CSS and the files could be for an expansion or remnants from a different build but speculating is more fun.

In addition, one of the new minor factions is a Harmony offshoot that has embraced Dust.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Though I am forever hoping for the return of the Harmony (as a playable faction), they had 2 extra slots listed when Horatio were added, so it's 99% likely just a format bug.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 10, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"The Unfallen faction is the last of the eight major civilizations to be officially announced for the game release." is a quote from the official wiki.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Been playing the Forgotten on EL lately and man, despite pretty much never engaging with the espionage system on any other playthrough, I am loving these guys. Skulking around in opposing faction territory 24/7 to steal pearls and burn down villages is super fun. Coming out of nowhere to snatch an enemy capital after secretly positioning an army and infiltrating a spy to tear down the walls is particularly satisfying. I didn't think I'd like em but as of now they may be my favorite.

They seem so much more unforgiving than other factions though. I feel like almost every turn has the potential for complete and utter disaster if I slip up slightly. Even in combat I need to pay super close attention to every move from every unit since they're so goddamn squishy. End up just not attacking with wounded assassins a whole lot of the time since they're first in the turn order and a counterattack would devastate them, which isn't something I'm typically so concerned about.

I will say that my least favorite thing so far is how hard it can be to steal the techs you want when playing against the AI. The nonsense these guys research is driving me crazy. Just give me the tier 3 resource harvesting tech already, you fuckers. Stop putting all your science into unlocking better city walls or whatever!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The Unfallen also sound kind of like a Scottish Bentusi, and look like Battlefleet Gothic Eldar. I can get on board with this.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm, Unfallen for my first playthrough, I think.

Anyway I bought Endless Legend on a whim and dived in without knowing much about it, and I've had a great time gradually working out that it is a work of sci-fi rather than just weird fantasy....

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyway I bought Endless Legend on a whim and dived in without knowing much about it, and I've had a great time gradually working out that it is a work of sci-fi rather than just weird fantasy....

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, it's great that Dust being nanomachines makes EL the one 4x game where construction buyout actually makes sense.

I also like how some of the factions are stale fantasy tropes turned on their heads:

Wildwalkers = Wood Elves, but have gone full Saruman on the woods
Broken Lords = Undead, but honorable knights trying to regain their humanity instead of evil/mindless zombies
Cult of the Eternal End = Religious fanatics, but instead of serving their gods are devoted to hunting them down and destroying them

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

it's this

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah it's pretty neat. All of the Endless games take place in the same universe, auriga is actually a planet you can find an endless Space 1. There is also a game called dungeon of the endless which takes place on auriga starring a cast of characters who crash-land there in a spaceship.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I need to finish off the quest endings I've not seen in EL. So, everyone but Mages and Phages. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol poo poo it is, isn't it

imo there should be a random quest that rewards you with the Avern weapon, a 1h sword needing mithrite that poisons

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There is also a game called dungeon of the endless which takes place on auriga starring a cast of characters who crash-land there in a spaceship.

There's actually a cool narrative thread that connects all of the games.

Dungeon takes place thousands of years before EL, which takes place thousands (?) of years before ES.

Dungeon and EL are both set on the world Auriga, which is actually an abandoned Endless research laboratory. The monsters (Endless experiments) you encounter in Dungeon later populate the surface along with the Endless invention Dust (nanomachines), becoming the fantasy monsters and 'magic' of EL.

The Vaulters in EL are descended from the protagonists of Dungeon and the robot medic narrates their questline, which is about building a ship to escape the dying world and becoming the ES Vaulters.

Auriga is primordial in Dungeon, 'dying' in EL, and a lifeless rock in ES.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Dungeon of the Endless is challenging but still fun, has great replay value, and some pretty good dry humor in it. I really enjoy it.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Davincie posted:

Combat now defaults to your most frequently chosen options, there are still some generic races but some really interesting ones (Vodyani), and the ai is still dumb but they're making it customizable.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Anyone know if this place is legit? https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/endless-space-2

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
They are cool, go for it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want the Unfallen to come out already :(

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So is this thing good yet? I recall people asking a few months ago and being told to wait.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, a thing is happening, I guess?

I'm busy so I can't check it out myself, but here's a link.

https://enfer.games2gether.com/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Onean posted:

So, a thing is happening, I guess?

I'm busy so I can't check it out myself, but here's a link.

https://enfer.games2gether.com/

Gives wallpapers if you answer some basic questions

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Avasculous posted:

There's actually a cool narrative thread that connects all of the games.

Dungeon takes place thousands of years before EL, which takes place thousands (?) of years before ES.

Dungeon and EL are both set on the world Auriga, which is actually an abandoned Endless research laboratory. The monsters (Endless experiments) you encounter in Dungeon later populate the surface along with the Endless invention Dust (nanomachines), becoming the fantasy monsters and 'magic' of EL.

The Vaulters in EL are descended from the protagonists of Dungeon and the robot medic narrates their questline, which is about building a ship to escape the dying world and becoming the ES Vaulters.

Auriga is primordial in Dungeon, 'dying' in EL, and a lifeless rock in ES.

Ok, that makes sense. So the vaulters are descended from the Dungeon guys, who are mk 1 humans from Earth? And Endless Space 2 is another look at the same point on the timeline as ES1, rather than a direct sequel...?

Also seconding the amazing factions in EL. I love that the crazed pain cultists are also the science guys, and that the elves are the industrial faction.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Ok, that makes sense. So the vaulters are descended from the Dungeon guys, who are mk 1 humans from Earth? And Endless Space 2 is another look at the same point on the timeline as ES1, rather than a direct sequel...?

Also seconding the amazing factions in EL. I love that the crazed pain cultists are also the science guys, and that the elves are the industrial faction.

yeah, I think ES2 is meant to be a reboot of the plot. The "original" humans in the setting aren't from Earth. Earth isn't mentioned at all, presumably because everybody left so long ago that no one remembers it.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

ES2 is a sort-of retcon of everything about ES, a retcon that may or may not be an actual thing that was done in-universe by a Virtual Endless conspiracy. Vaulters/Mezari may or may not be humans from a very distant Earth, ES2 is calling all humans "Mezari" and that all the humans/Mezari you see in-game originated from the original humans that crash-landed on Auriga.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris is totally broken with the patch they pushed out to celebrate it's birthday and someone linked ES2 on sale at bundle stars so i went and bought it! Hope it's as good as you all make out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Avasculous posted:

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, it's great that Dust being nanomachines makes EL the one 4x game where construction buyout actually makes sense.

I also like how some of the factions are stale fantasy tropes turned on their heads:

Wildwalkers = Wood Elves, but have gone full Saruman on the woods
Broken Lords = Undead, but honorable knights trying to regain their humanity instead of evil/mindless zombies
Cult of the Eternal End = Religious fanatics, but instead of serving their gods are devoted to hunting them down and destroying them

I feel like the lore of the Endless series is easily one of my favorite things about them. Incredibly refreshing.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Dungeon of the Endless is challenging but still fun, has great replay value, and some pretty good dry humor in it. I really enjoy it.

Totally. I've got over 200 hours on Dungeon and it's been one of my top 5 (certainly top 10) favorite games for the past few years. It's just such a weird mix of Hero management / Tower Defense / Rogue-lite.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have no idea what I'm doing but man the design, the sound, the music, the vibe of this game is awesome. As much as I love stellaris it's so nice to come to something where every race was designed by hand and is full of unique mechanics and content. I've dove in as United earth, have no idea what I'm doing but there doesn't seem to be any other rival empire in my little cluster of stars. I finally got the tech to slow-boat it between clusters, I assume eventually I'll uncover more hyperlanes or what ever?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing but man the design, the sound, the music, the vibe of this game is awesome. As much as I love stellaris it's so nice to come to something where every race was designed by hand and is full of unique mechanics and content. I've dove in as United earth, have no idea what I'm doing but there doesn't seem to be any other rival empire in my little cluster of stars. I finally got the tech to slow-boat it between clusters, I assume eventually I'll uncover more hyperlanes or what ever?

Tl;Dr no, you've got to use probes.

Stars (and nebulae and asteroid fields and rogue planets etc) are grouped into "constellations," which are generally all connected by lanes (there are sometimes "isolated" stars that are technically part of a constellation but have no lanes to any planets). There's a game setting controlling the size of constellations - "Unique" means the whole map is one constellation (basically pangaea setting), "few" means they're generally large, and "many" divides the galaxy into a large number of small constellations. The vast majority of my play time is on "unique" so I'm not sure how large they are otherwise.

You can't order ships to travel to destinations that they can't see the lane for without the slow-boat tech, and you can't order a slow-boat unless you can see the destination. The you're not just trapped in your starting constellation is that your exploration ships can send probes out into the void. Each ship can store up to 2 probes, which regenerate automatically on a timer, and can send them out in any direction. The probes reveal a radius around them, and travel for a few turns before they stop sending intel home. Once you've revealed a new star you can order any ship to travel to it and it'll take the fastest known route.

On 'unique' galaxies, I rarely build more than 1 or 2 exploration ships past my initial one. On 'few,' I feel like a couple more are warranted to try to get a feel for the general direction of the galaxy. The few times I've played on "many" it seemed like 5 or 6 was warranted, but I really have no idea.

A caveat: the probes you send out into the void are the same probes you use for exploring anomalies on planets, so there's a tradeoff between fogbusting and treasure hunting.

--

Yea this is a totally different beast from Stellaris. You don't ever really see large federations made of small, medium, and large powers, and there's really not an endgame crisis. You are the endgame crisis.

UE is probably the most straightforward to play. Having shitloads of influence makes it easier to 'buy' minor factions, and you can spend the influence on techs and buildings, which means you're a lot more flexible. UE has good ships, you can have more planets, and Industrialist laws are pretty easy to use well (Mineral Misers Act is beastly in my experience).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris is totally broken with the patch they pushed out to celebrate it's birthday

I mean that's a pretty appropriate to celebrate it's birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So after putting a few hours in there's still a lot I don't feel I get or am not sure how to handle optimally.

Happiness. I can never quite predict it and each system seems all over the place. My capital is always at 100%, my 1st colony a research based system is in the 80's, and a nearly identical in every way 3rd colony is at 30%. Random other systems hover between 20% and 70%. Yes, i know, you mouse over and it gives you a huge list of why but I don't understand half of them. There seem to be hidden penalties to happiness from planets, plus explicit anomalies that give penalties or bonuses. There's also a political angle which I have not begun to crack, plus minor races which add bonuses or maybe penalties depending on their ideology? maybe?

Each race seems to have a set ideology, my humans are all industrialists. Because I have a lot of other races in my empire I'd assume in elections it would match that. 5 industrialists plus 3 environmentalists should give 5 industrialist votes and 3 enviro votes right? No? I don't know how this works. Every system has a load of bar graphs but there's no mouse-over detail explaining what any of it means. Everything I build or do has an attached ideology to it. Doing those things make them happy? Makes the ideology more attractive? but ideology seems set per-species, I've never seen a human go from industrialist to scientist because I built a ton of labs. Yet every unhappy system is unhappy due to a -15 penalty due to no faction representation in government or something?

So many system improvements have very complex rules for what they do and it's insane the game doesn't tell you what it will do to that particular system if you build it, and once built I can't seem to figure out what it's doing. For instance there's some science gameshow I can build that gives +1 science per person per planet anomaly. Does that mean every pop on a planet with an anomaly gets +1 science? Does it count up the anomalies in the system and give every planet a bonus equal to that? How does this make any sense for a gameshow?? I'd kill for a tool tip or something that would show in brackets what the building will do if built right now. So if you go to build something that says it will give you +1 influence per pop and you have 5 pops it would show you (+5 influence). So many buildings have much better bonuses in extremely specific situations or at certain happiness levels too.

What do I do with all these luxury resources? Early on I was able to drag a dust tree onto a city skyline and now all my planets can get +25 dust. I see there's 2 other levels that have more boxes but are locked out (probably by tech). There's some sort of galactic market too, I bought some missing strategic resources from it once. But trade companies? Trade routes? What???

There seems to be a lot of gain for micro-managing your populations. Oh these guys produce +2 dust on sterile planets? poo poo better move them around so they're on sterile planets and move the guys who like it hot to my hot planet. This involves a crazy amount of clicking and moving pops between systems. Is there an easier way?

Combat seems lovely. The little non-interactive cutscene that plays gives almost no feedback even when on data mode to tell how/why your ships are winning or losing. It feels even more opaque and unsatisfying than stellaris combat. There's clearly a lot going on, there's bonuses for certain ship types working together, maybe? I don't know, the game certainly doesn't make any of it clear.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 11, 2017