Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
OMG! HOW!?!?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/6a8yqh/twitter_hey_remember_back_when_i_said_star/dhcro7t/

quote:

StarEngine is almost 50% custom.

Lumberyard is almost 50% custom.

Both StarEngine and Lumberyard are based on the same source.

We can assume most of the custom code in StarEngine does not overlap with the custom code for Lumberyard, mainly, the netcode and server handling. Therefore, the transition should be fairly easy, once you recompile the build everyone is working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

I'll tell you what has freaked me out.

I signed up to Linked In a few weeks ago. I used a completely fake name I've never used anywhere before, because I only signed up to message someone.

Linked In has sent me messages asking me if I know people, with 5 listed. One is my mom's best friend. One is my best friend. One is a psychiatrist who did an evaluation on me years ago, that I met once and never had any communication with outside of the one single professional meeting. One is a plumber I hired 10 years ago, who I also never had any communication with outside of him snaking my drain line. The last one is an elementary school classmate I haven't thought of in over 25 years.

It seriously has me weirded out. I use made up names on every service, don't have any social media presence, and they connected a doctor to me. What the gently caress is that about? Facebook has similarly concerned me, but not to the extent of outing my doctors. It's some black magic poo poo.

Your ISP knows who you are

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/68neg4/potential_backer_with_questions/dhcpbbf/

Actually, you got that backwards due to critical thinking. XK just made the point. Read it.

It's a slight self-own, maybe, or at least admittance that he's better than you at out arguing shitizens with deluges of words. It's ok to admit someone's better at something; there's always going to be someone better at anything. How on Earth that 1 out of 7 billion people better than Derek Smart at arguing with shitizens found their way to the SC reddit, I'll never know.

We all know why you do it, Derek; it's personal. Why OSC is writing encyclopedias at them, I'm just baffled. Recently retired and no hobbies? Time off due to recent workplace injury, and medicated on powerful opiates? Who knows.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Colostomy Bag posted:

Great Scott, are you Kevin Bacon?

God drat it!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Colostomy Bag posted:

Great Scott, are you Kevin Bacon?

Mods!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

XK posted:

It's a slight self-own, maybe, or at least admittance that he's better than you at out arguing shitizens with deluges of words. It's ok to admit someone's better at something; there's always going to be someone better at anything. How on Earth that 1 out of 7 billion people better than Derek Smart at arguing with shitizens found their way to the SC reddit, I'll never know.

We all know why you do it, Derek; it's personal. Why OSC is writing encyclopedias at them, I'm just baffled. Recently retired and no hobbies? Time off due to recent workplace injury, and medicated on powerful opiates? Who knows.

It was an off hand sentence, so doesn't really matter it's just funny. You basically said you've never actually owned anyone over there.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

starkebn posted:

It was an off hand sentence, so doesn't really matter it's just funny. You basically said you've never actually owned anyone over there.

lol, I don't care. Anyone who posts on Reddit is a loving retard.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
You're all on his ignore list now

Prepare for epic doxxing, Shillizens :smug:

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Derek you of all people should understand game development. Part of that is of course math. 50% for by CIG + 50% done by Amazon totally equals 100%.

Star Citizen is done bitches!!! Suck it DS and Goonies!

I wonder how they got the variables SC was using though to match up to Amazon? You know in the code is the dsWasRight Boolean some where.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

XK posted:

lol, I don't care. Anyone who posts on Reddit is a loving retard.

don't know why he proxied on to you anyway, I was laughing at him

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

XK posted:

I signed up to Linked In a few weeks ago. I used a completely fake name I've never used anywhere before, because I only signed up to message someone.

Linked In has sent me messages asking me if I know people, with 5 listed. One is my mom's best friend. One is my best friend. One is a psychiatrist who did an evaluation on me years ago, that I met once and never had any communication with outside of the one single professional meeting. One is a plumber I hired 10 years ago, who I also never had any communication with outside of him snaking my drain line. The last one is an elementary school classmate I haven't thought of in over 25 years.

It seriously has me weirded out. I use made up names on every service, don't have any social media presence, and they connected a doctor to me. What the gently caress is that about? Facebook has similarly concerned me, but not to the extent of outing my doctors. It's some black magic poo poo.

Agreed. Linked In pulled up an ex that I may or may not have dipped my balls in ONCE, from like 10 years ago. We haven't connected in any way, more or less professionally since then, but it knew. Then I figured out buried in my emails was a reference to her. Apparently they scan your emails to look for connections. Maybe that's what happened?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Right. And that was my point. If he is owning them this hard, and they think that he's me, then it stands to reason that they are basically admitting that I am the one owning them!

The fact that's he's more fact driven and methodical than I am, appears to be completely lost on them. Even though they know that I tend to mix copious amounts of hyperbole and hilarity in my writings.

quote:

I'm thinking all of the above? :lol::lol::lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DarkRefreshment posted:

Derek you of all people should understand game development. Part of that is of course math. 50% for by CIG + 50% done by Amazon totally equals 100%.

Star Citizen is done bitches!!! Suck it DS and Goonies!

I wonder how they got the variables SC was using though to match up to Amazon? You know in the code is the dsWasRight Boolean some where.

It's as if they're loving retarded.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!!

https://www.change.org/p/cloud-imperium-backers-for-the-development-of-spacewhales

Oh, I remember when they all thought they would be playing this:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

starkebn posted:

don't know why he proxied on to you anyway, I was laughing at him

Maybe you are new to this thread. Derek is kind of dense. He's fun, though.

D_Smart posted:

If he is owning them this hard, and they think that he's me, then it stands to reason that they are basically admitting that I am the one owning them!

Well, I suppose there's some truth to that. It's kind of telling that they assume somebody owning them is you.

D_Smart posted:

The fact that's he's more fact driven and methodical than I am, appears to be completely lost on them. Even though they know that I tend to mix copious amounts of hyperbole and hilarity in my writings.

His autism is stronger than yours.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

So i fired up twitch just to have some background noise while i surfed the internets, and on the main page what did i see? Someone was streaming star citizen so I was like oh the game must be out. I stroll into see what was going on and this is what I saw

Is this the game?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

vyst posted:

So i fired up twitch just to have some background noise while i surfed the internets, and on the main page what did i see? Someone was streaming star citizen so I was like oh the game must be out. I stroll into see what was going on and this is what I saw

Is this the game?

if the game is making fun of ben being fat, then yes

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

vyst posted:

Is this the game?

not to answer this facetiously, but for 99% of these people, yes

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The image was archered from a reference to a released game, so probably.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

DarkRefreshment posted:

Agreed. Linked In pulled up an ex that I may or may not have dipped my balls in ONCE, from like 10 years ago. We haven't connected in any way, more or less professionally since then, but it knew. Then I figured out buried in my emails was a reference to her. Apparently they scan your emails to look for connections. Maybe that's what happened?

I only use my ISP email address. I've also never talked about that doctor in any way over the internet. Any conversation between my friend and I has only been through ISP emails. I've only emailed my mom's friend once or twice years ago. I have no loving clue how they connected my old plumber or elementary school classmate to me.

That poo poo is super creepy. I'm wondering if the doctor thing might even be violating HIPAA somewhere, because I can't imagine where they got that connection from.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Is this the game?

if you're feeling bored, give that guy a few bucks and watch as he has a 5 minute seizure while the donation song plays

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

if you're feeling bored, give that guy a few bucks and watch as he has a 5 minute seizure while the donation song plays

Maybe I'm just old now but it goes against every fiber of my being to even think about giving someone money to watch them play a video game.

Now giving someone my money to make me ~dream~ about a video game, totally different.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DarkRefreshment posted:

Maybe I'm just old now but it goes against every fiber of my being to even think about giving someone money to watch them play a video game.

Now giving someone my money to make me ~dream~ about a video game, totally different.

lmao if you give twitch streamers any money ever

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DarkRefreshment posted:

It takes me 10 minutes to send a 5 line professional email to make sure I didn't screw anything up. How this cat has the time to write and research these post novels is beyond me.

It's a bit creepy. Interesting but creepy. I don't think I have the stamina to read all this stuff... so I can prove somebody wrong on the Internet.

This guy, while funny that he gets reactions, is the classic "not now, honey! Somebody is wrong on the internet! I must prove them wrong in this two-part novella fan-non-fiction reply on this Reddit sub section for a not-made video game!" guy.

Or! He may be the one guy on the planet who thinks Derek needs help defending himself against the Internet. Is this... what retirement for the internet warlord looks like???

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ComfyPants posted:

The image was archered from a reference to a released game, so probably.
I will forever regret not adding Goatse to :lesnick: somehow. If I had known spergs would still be using it years later I would have put more effort into it.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Also, if you actually read OSC or Derek's posts I feel bad for you. You're supposed to just scroll past them and chuckle to yourself at how crazy they are.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DarkRefreshment posted:

This is a correct thought.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Maybe you are new to this thread. Derek is kind of dense. He's fun, though.

:negative:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

For anyone not paying attention to political news, Trump just fired FBI director Comey. Holy poo poo!

quote:

In a signed letter released by the White House, Trump informed Comey that he was "hereby terminated and removed from office, effective immediately," explaining that he reached the conclusion that Comey is "not able to effectively lead the bureau."

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the political update

walgreenslatino posted:

Comey is a compromised Trump stooge facilitating treason! He must be removed! Impeach them all!

*whiplash so hard my head detaches from my body*

The Orange Cheeto Hitler removed Comey, a dutiful impartial official who was investigating the administration's numerous crimes! It's the Tuesday Night Massacre! Impeach!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

XK posted:

You have your IP address for your location. You have cookies on everything for tracking.

Not sure on the specific details, but this is what I recall of it.. If you have ever gone 'remember password' or similar on a site, then you have given permission for lots of data to be recorded and saved about you (that is stored in your browser). Things like phone numbers you have entered, your billing address, etc. etc. A website does not have to visible-to-the-user ask for this information, that can have the full load of it regardless of what their forms appear to be asking for.

Your browser has a unique (enough) digital fingerprint so cookies aren't actually required. This, along with the above means they basically know everything about who you are, where you travel physically, who you talk to, what your preferences are.

You connect a phone to your wireless, now your phone browsing and terminal browsing are linked. As is all the other devices you have connected to the internet with. If you take a laptop with you and connect to other places you are now tracked in that physical location as well.

Phone permissions seem insane, so you probably leaked your full address book or something when you installed something, maybe.

Don't pretend I am correct about any of the above, because I am a layperson.

Edit: I really wish I did some sort of computer security subject. The stuff I read on the net is terrifying. How anyone can secure any program/system from all angles of attack seems impossible. Especially when you have the worlds share of Dereks running around.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 10, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

XK posted:

For anyone not paying attention to political news, Trump just fired FBI director Comey. Holy poo poo!

Good. Let's get Hilldog locked up.

https://twitter.com/TEN_GOP/status/862065840111443968

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just noticed the conductor has hands on her breasts. Oh and half-naked double aquaman doing something with his lightsaber penis, I dunno. :shrug:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sillybones posted:

You have your IP address for your location. You have cookies on everything for tracking.

Not sure on the specific details, but this is what I recall of it.. If you have ever gone 'remember password' or similar on a site, then you have given permission for lots of data to be recorded and saved about you (that is stored in your browser). Things like phone numbers you have entered, your billing address, etc. etc. A website does not have to visible-to-the-user ask for this information, that can have the full load of it regardless of what their forms appear to be asking for.

Your browser has a unique (enough) digital fingerprint so cookies aren't actually required. This, along with the above means they basically know everything about who you are, where you travel physically, who you talk to, what your preferences are.

You connect a phone to your wireless, now your phone browsing and terminal browsing are linked. As is all the other devices you have connected to the internet with. If you take a laptop with you and connect to other places you are now tracked in that physical location as well.

Phone permissions seem insane, so you probably leaked your full address book or something when you installed something, maybe.

Don't pretend I am correct about any of the above, because I am a layperson.

I use uBlock, BetterPrivacy, CanvasBlocker, NoScript, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and Random Agent Spoofer. I don't use a cell phone or laptop. I run a rolling update Linux desktop. I'm extraordinarily careful about sharing my information anywhere, to the extent that I use VMs. The only thing I don't do is VPN all my traffic.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do you have a Microsoft account in some form? I assume MS has been trying to tie data between the two since their purchase.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

I only use my ISP email address. I've also never talked about that doctor in any way over the internet. Any conversation between my friend and I has only been through ISP emails. I've only emailed my mom's friend once or twice years ago. I have no loving clue how they connected my old plumber or elementary school classmate to me.

That poo poo is super creepy. I'm wondering if the doctor thing might even be violating HIPAA somewhere, because I can't imagine where they got that connection from.

There is something all of those people could have in common. Like most tricks, this one is simple once you know it - services like LinkedIn and Facebook keep track of all the times people have searched for you. So at some point your doctor, your friend, your plumber, etc. typed in your name online while logged into one of those services. Perhaps they were completing billing info, checking your background information, or just looking you up themselves to add you to their contact list.

All those searches are linked to your name and held forever. The when someone creates an account with a name that matches all these searches, you get bombarded with a fuckload of messages: "Do you know this guy? How about this one? How about this one?"

It would be more accurate, and less scary, if it simply said "These 5 people searched for Your Name in the last 3 years. Do you know any of them?"

Consider it a measure of your success - it's exactly how dark your online presence is that causes the flurry of seemingly identifying messages to flood to you one after the other. As long as you don't confirm or deny that you know any of those people, LinkedIn can only hang onto the only database entry they have: "Person#1231431 searched for a person with This Name". That information isn't worth much until you confirm the connection, which is why they bombard you so hard to get you to verify it.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

XK posted:

I use uBlock, BetterPrivacy, CanvasBlocker, NoScript, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and Random Agent Spoofer. I don't use a cell phone or laptop. I run a rolling update Linux desktop. I'm extraordinarily careful about sharing my information anywhere, to the extent that I use VMs. The only thing I don't do is VPN all my traffic.

I use a Mac. :smug:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

phosdex posted:

Do you have a Microsoft account in some form? I assume MS has been trying to tie data between the two since their purchase.

Nope. I have a Google account under an assumed name, that's the best there is on me. I never use the same name twice, anywhere, except for where I have to order things to be shipped to my house.

Scruffpuff posted:

There is something all of those people could have in common. Like most tricks, this one is simple once you know it - services like LinkedIn and Facebook keep track of all the times people have searched for you. So at some point your doctor, your friend, your plumber, etc. typed in your name online while logged into one of those services. Perhaps they were completing billing info, checking your background information, or just looking you up themselves to add you to their contact list.

All those searches are linked to your name and held forever. The when someone creates an account with a name that matches all these searches, you get bombarded with a fuckload of messages: "Do you know this guy? How about this one? How about this one?"

It would be more accurate, and less scary, if it simply said "These 5 people searched for Your Name in the last 3 years. Do you know any of them?"

Consider it a measure of your success - it's exactly how dark your online presence is that causes the flurry of seemingly identifying messages to flood to you one after the other. As long as you don't confirm or deny that you know any of those people, LinkedIn can only hang onto the only database entry they have: "Person#1231431 searched for a person with This Name". That information isn't worth much until you confirm the connection, which is why they bombard you so hard to get you to verify it.

They're tracking my bestiality and incest searches on my incognito browser sessions via ip. :(

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Sillybones posted:

I use a Mac. :smug:

I'm sorry for your loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

They're tracking my bestiality and incest searches on my incognito browser sessions via ip. :(

That's why you should always be behind 7 proxies.

Seriously though, it's incredibly hosed up how bad it's getting. So much attention is being paid to how companies are accumulating private data about citizens in order to make money for themselves, with all this advice floating around about how to limit your footprint etc.

And none of it matters, because even if you're an Amish guy with no electricity who's laid up with a back injury and haven't left the house since before the internet was a thing, all these companies still have a 100% accurate dossier on your every move that they've compiled passively from sources searching for, and talking about, you and your Amish back injury.

So when JebediahBarnRaiser@gmail.com makes his first YeLinkedIn account, he's gonna get 12 ads for Doan's back pills and 273 friend invites from a rumspringa event he attended in 1961.