Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bellevilles were literally the only approved boots for us. I usually stuck a gel insole and it was fine after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

insularis posted:

HA! I did the same thing when ETS'ing from the 82nd. I have really, really always wanted to go to Antarctica, though, and when I told the 1SG that would make me reenlist, he actually tried really hard to make it happen. The conversation ended up with, "Well, Sgt. Insularis, unless you have a biology degree I don't know about, I'm not going to be able to make this work." I also thought the ribbon was sweet.

i was supposed to see retention every drill weekend for the last like 6 months before my ets

I told our retention NCO that 20k got me in so they'd have to do 80k to keep me

he told me to get the gently caress out of his office and didn't bother me for the other 5

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Bellevilles were literally the only approved boots for us. I usually stuck a gel insole and it was fine after that.

Yeah, I got sesamoiditis (which i didn't even know was a thing, the inflammation of the sesamoid bones, which I also didn't know was a thing) until I got some gel inserts and they were fine after that.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

altama ripple soles all the other nike poo poo was too fancy for me

Internet VFW>Lets Talk About Shoes! (On our feet.)

gently caress yes.

But no loving traction on ice or wet pavement or anything similar. But so comfy.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

Superfeet insoles are the poo poo, most aren't super xl turbo gel cushioned but they're incredibly supportive. Those plus the newer leather Nikes got me through an unholy number of miles because Light Infantry™.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Superfeet insoles are the poo poo, most aren't super xl turbo gel cushioned but they're incredibly supportive. Those plus the newer leather Nikes got me through an unholy number of miles because Light Infantry™.

Truth. I have them in every boot/shoe I own.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cole Haan makes really comfortable dress and business casual shoes.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Cole Haan makes really comfortable dress and business casual shoes.

qft

when I worked security at Tiffany most of my day was spend standing on a granite floor and I would have died without a pair of cole haans

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Yeah, I wear Superfeet in all of my shoes. They're amazing and last forever.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

i was supposed to see retention every drill weekend for the last like 6 months before my ets

I told our retention NCO that 20k got me in so they'd have to do 80k to keep me

he told me to get the gently caress out of his office and didn't bother me for the other 5

Heh, yeah, that SF Det in College Park that was mentioned a few pages back? Civil Affairs, and no poo poo, I was there (it was AR, not NG). When clearing, got the big ole guilt trip about going to the homecoming party for the rotation guys coming back ... this was just before 9/11, and bonuses weren't nearly what they were for a while there in the early 00's. They resorted to emotional tactics. My total GI Bill was 15K, if that dates me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

When I was at AFN, that new goddamn boot rule came out and my NCOIC was a shitlord and I had to go buy new boots.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The best boots I ever owned while in the Army were Timberland Force Multipliers. Unauthorized as gently caress, but whenever anyone asked or said anything I said they were clear under 670-1, and they are welcome to double check. No one ever gave a gently caress enough to do poo poo.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Bootchat is making me feel old.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

USAF never ceases to amaze me when it comes to testing.

First the proctor for our on-base exams called because she didn't have any passwords to log the candidates in. Turns out she was looking at the registration list that the main contact had, not the one she was given that had the confidential logins on it. She didn't even bother to check her email this morning.

Then she called less than an hour later, saying one of the candidates was locked out of the testing system because his email didn't work. I told her to actually read the list she had and see where it had usernames next to the passwords.

"But everyone else logged in with their emails just fine!"

"No they didn't."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It's me, I'm the idiot. I'm thinking about going back in.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thinking is ok, doing isn't

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PathAsc posted:

Thinking is ok, doing isn't

Psych folks say that ideation is also bad.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

poo poo, everything is bad, the only lesson I learned while in! Thank you for the reminder sensei. It's me, I'm the idiot, gently caress. :(

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If anyone is considering going back in just stand out side in the freezing cold for 30 minutes at 4 in the morning wearing wildly lacking clothing and then run across some uneven ground in the dark singing stupid songs and if you hurt yourself then pay some homeless person to yell at you about how you are a piece of poo poo and then go to the doctor but leave the appointment half way through because that's the quality of medical care to expect and just drink a lot of water and eat motrin until your stomach lining bleeds and then if you ever make a mistake or someone near you makes a mistake at you current job just stand outside for 6 hours after work ends every day and then set 2 weeks pay on fire and if you still want to join then you deserve everything you get and gently caress you

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

not caring here posted:

If anyone is considering going back in just stand out side in the freezing cold for 30 minutes at 4 in the morning wearing wildly lacking clothing and then run across some uneven ground in the dark singing stupid songs and if you hurt yourself then pay some homeless person to yell at you about how you are a piece of poo poo and then go to the doctor but leave the appointment half way through because that's the quality of medical care to expect and just drink a lot of water and eat motrin until your stomach lining bleeds and then if you ever make a mistake or someone near you makes a mistake at you current job just stand outside for 6 hours after work ends every day and then set 2 weeks pay on fire and if you still want to join then you deserve everything you get and gently caress you

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'll add that I got pretty much all the things I worked towards while in and have a great sense of accomplishment and I'd never go back, Namaste.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

not caring here posted:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

god drat

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

not caring here posted:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

not caring here posted:

New forum background please

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If anyone is thinking of going​ guard, stop smoking weed, spend a weekend a month sitting in your driveway, garage, or yard, hiding from your spouse, who you've paid to find you and make you do their job, or to come up with dumb chores you already completed. After your spouse feeds you a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly), have your youngest relative that is barely capable of reading instruct you on how to do their homework. Continue to do this from 5 am too 7pm with your spouse promising the sooner you finish your chores the sooner you can stop. Do not allow them to feed you dinner or breakfast.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

not caring here posted:

:vince: holy fuckin lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the SL1 event, the guys just withdrew the control rod too far? That was the cause?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MrMojok posted:

In the SL1 event, the guys just withdrew the control rod too far? That was the cause?

Yeah. Lack of physical interlocks, unclear procedure, design limits that were easily exceeded and a ton of other issues. Ultimately dude just did too much

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
After discovering that the control rod was stuck, the guy did his best King Arthur impression, pulled the sword from the stone, and was instantly crowned by the ceiling.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Vengarr posted:

After discovering that the control rod was stuck, the guy did his best King Arthur impression, pulled the sword from the stone, and was instantly crowned by the ceiling.

Ahaha :drat:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vengarr posted:

Did nobody tell him the withdrawal method doesn't work?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vengarr posted:

:vince:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Didn't the guy also do an inverse Phineas Gage impression by getting impaled by the rod in the crotch?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Didn't the guy also do an inverse Phineas Gage impression by getting impaled by the rod in the crotch?

I believe so. They initially didn't find him (there was one guy dead and one guy almost dead on the floor when they walked in) and took several minutes before looking up at the ceiling and realizing what happened.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
IIRC his wife had also called him at work that morning to tell him she wanted a divorce, so there's some speculation it was a suicide.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrMojok posted:

And too fast. Pulling it out that far, slowly, would still have been bad but not as bad.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Yeah, blaming fatal events from design flaws and incompetent supervision on break ups has been the way to go for a while. The Navy mixed things up by blaming the USS Iowa turret explosion in a gay break up, but that's not as attention grabbing nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh man everything I've ever read on the Iowa explosion is like :stare: courts-marshal for everyone!