Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have a bunch of limes about to go bad. If I juice them, boil the juice and throw it in the fridge with a shot of Everclear (190 proof) will it stay good for a few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The cocktail thread could tell you for sure, but if you're worried about stuff molding, I've had about a cup of orange blossom simple syrup survive for 7-8 months completely fine with just a shot of 80 proof vodka. I would bet everclear would work for that no problem.

As far as the flavor goes, I have no idea.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Cloks posted:

I have a bunch of limes about to go bad. If I juice them, boil the juice and throw it in the fridge with a shot of Everclear (190 proof) will it stay good for a few months?

Whether that shot of everclear is actually useful depends very much on what volume of other things you plan to dilute it in.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waci posted:

Whether that shot of everclear is actually useful depends very much on what volume of other things you plan to dilute it in.

Very true. 10 small limes.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Couldn't you just freeze the lime juice?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

EVG posted:

Couldn't you just freeze the lime juice?

Yeah, that might be a better idea. I'd like to have it on hand for cocktails but I'd rather not alter the flavor with alcohol before I'm mixing it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Cloks posted:

Yeah, that might be a better idea. I'd like to have it on hand for cocktails but I'd rather not alter the flavor with alcohol before I'm mixing it.

Freeze it in an ice-cube tray then chuck it into a ziplock.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Canuck-Errant posted:

Yeah, there was a record bad year for vanilla crops last year, so prices for beans went up. As for Canadian goons, I'd recommend the Vanilla Food Company as a source for vanilla - they also stock chocolate, extracts, and SAF yeast.

The Vanilla Food Company sounds incredibly Canadian.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Cloks posted:

If I understand what I've read thus far correctly, preserving with alcohol primarily serves to ward off bacteria that eat sugars. Lime juice is lower in sugar than other things that you would usually add alcohol to in order to preserve, such as grenadine. As such, I don't think adding Everclear to lime juice that you intend to hold at fridge temp will do much for preservation. Instead, juice the limes, do not boil (would probably gently caress up the flavor), and freeze, preferably in ice cube trays as mentioned upthread.

That said, the juice of ten small limes is what, seven ounces? You could get through that in one night of daiquiris with a companion (or two, if they are less committed to partying).

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
When life gives you ten small limes, make, like, 3 small servings of limeade?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lime person, make Nuoc Cham.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I would use that lime juice to make a big batch of a kickass vinaigrette.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So on a whim I tried some frozen pot stickers over the weekend and I don't know if I just got lucky or if this is what they are supposed to be like (never had the real deal). Cooked them from frozen in a pan with a little oil and water with the lid on. The bottoms got nice and crispy and the tops were soft and just a little chewy. The texture on the wrapper was one of those things that I hadn't really experienced before and immediately fell in love.

The filling a bit less so. They were frozen, mass produced guys, so I'm not too surprised by that.

So, I can look up a few variations on a traditional pork/chicken filling, but I'm wondering if there might be some kind of sweet filling that would work well too? Maybe something like red bean paste or maybe like pumpkin pie filling, though less of a custard. Or, pre-cook the custard if going that way.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
The gyoza I buy are mostly the best when I get the most expensive/fancy ones (still not that expensive btw)

I usually make the pork filling, buy the ones with a chicken filling and never had the "other" gyoza's they sell, namely gyoza with apple filling...still got to try that.
They don't sell others with a sweet filling in my store, but there's no doubt that other sweet fillings can be nice as well.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 8, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

theHUNGERian posted:

I was going to use the hot plate for the sauce/rice/veggies anyway. I was thinking that the oven might be better because it takes longer and requires less babysitting, so I have more time for the other stuff. If it works perfectly well in either, I'll try both and see if I prefer one over the other. Thanks.

If you don't have much room get yourself an Instant Pot. You can saute stuff in it and also make quick meals when needed. It doesn't take up much room really when not in use.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Does anyone have really good ice cream / sorbet / frozen yogurt recipes? I just got a sweet ice cream maker with a compressor and am excited to use it more. I made the strawberry sorbet from Serious Eats and it was killer.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

dead lettuce posted:

Does anyone have really good ice cream / sorbet / frozen yogurt recipes? I just got a sweet ice cream maker with a compressor and am excited to use it more. I made the strawberry sorbet from Serious Eats and it was killer.

I liked the Mango & Ginger ice cream I did a while back, but I don't have a recipe, I just sort of winged it using a basic vanilla recipe as a base and modifying it to account for the mango puree and ginger.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommended recipes for post dental surgery? I was told baby-food-esque dishes and was thinking of just Vitamixing a bunch of stuff for every meal.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
A girl I know who's had her jaw wired shut twice enjoys blender burritos.

Not even once if it were me.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommended recipes for post dental surgery? I was told baby-food-esque dishes and was thinking of just Vitamixing a bunch of stuff for every meal.

I got a family member who just had a extraction today. He ate leftover mashed potatoes.

But I think there was a long discussion on it a few pages back either in this thread or the chat thread.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Hm, I'd go for bottomless mashed potatoes. You could vary it too, I once added greek yogurt instead of milk and it tasted like baked potato, I bet it would taste even better with some bacon fat mixed in.

Lentil soup would be good too, use split lentils to get them mushier. Sure, you lose the texture but flavour should be there.

I'd probably get tired and resort to berry, banana, protein powder, spinach, flax seed, oatmeal, milk, etc, smoothies.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PRADA SLUT posted:

The first few days for me were Glucerna (like Ensure but without the massive sugar content) and congee and oatmeal, and after that I started easing back into foods like scrambled eggs, soft tofu, even a McDouble after a while when I was craving meat (they're more or less mush). I lost about 10 pounds a week for the first two weeks, no joke. Just couldn't get enough calories. Good luck!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
For real, if you can find Fair Life chocolate milk near you, drink that. Much less sugar than most chocolate milks, plus it's delicious.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I guess smoothies are obvious (can you eat cold food???), but I'll just add that I like to make them with silken tofu, which has protein and stuff. Silken tofu, frozen banana slices, and some other frozen fruit (usually blueberries).

You could also make some applesauce, or other fruit analogs. Got to get some fruits in you.

Of course lots can be done with soup if you have a stick blender. Some ideas, in no particular order:
  • Red lentil + veggies (kale, brocc, spinach, zuchhini, ...). Red lentils add a nice flavor, texture, and some protein.
  • Some type of blended bean soup
  • Squash/Sweet potato
  • Potato/leek/onion/garlic
  • Broccoli
  • Any permutation of the above

You can easily blend legumes into a smooth and tasty soup, but I'm not sure how you'd get the complete protein. Cheese would do it probably, or like polenta or something.

You should just buy a gallon of heavy cream.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Yeah, soups are great. Usually not a ton of protein, so don't make them your only food. Tomato soup is excellent, or something sour (possibly with yogurt added) if the weather is warm there. If you can handle rice, sol kadhi is delicious, or you can always go for rasam. I love a blended asparagus/broccoli/brussels sprouts soup, and asparagus is great right now. Lots of choices.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I had nothing but McDonalds strawberry milkshakes for three days in a row (what can I say, I like chemical strawberry taste better than actual strawberries), those where handed to me while I was hiding under my blanket.
After that, I was out of prescription painkillers and still in pain, so I pushed an acetaminophen in my mouth that I could still barely open...anyway: half an hour later, the pain was gone.

you can learn two things from my story:
1. make sure that painkillers do what they are supposed to do, namely kill pain.
2. I'm the worlds worst food advisor when it comes to post dental surgery stuff.

but one or two nice milkshakes wouldn't be such a bad idea, i think?
Because yes, stuff that can be had with a straw are great under these circumstances.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
A word of warning whatever you end up eating - I found both tomato and orange too acidic on a fresh mouth wound when I had surgery, and I also kept bursting my clots by getting excited about the idea of nutrients and having food that was too warm, i.e. as warm as I would have had it usually. You might want to go carefully with acids and temperature until you get a feel for how your mouth is doing. Solidarity, and I hope you don't have to stick to the mushy/liquid diet for too long!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's that brown stuff called on the bottom of a normal (not a nonstick) pan when you fry stuff? The brown stuff you gotta deglaze afterwards. Fondue? I'm trying to Google it but it keeps coming up with the chocolate dessert.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Loopoo posted:

What's that brown stuff called on the bottom of a normal (not a nonstick) pan when you fry stuff? The brown stuff you gotta deglaze afterwards. Fondue? I'm trying to Google it but it keeps coming up with the chocolate dessert.

Fond.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Food gold.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers guys. Made a curry tonight and I decided not to use a nonstick pan, like I always use. Was so weird seeing fond, as nonstick never produced it. Felt so good scraping that poo poo up and deglazing it. Making bolognese tomorrow and can't wait to deglaze the poo poo out of it with red wine.

I've been cooking from scratch a lot lately, and I really am enjoying it. Sometimes the food doesn't turn out the best, cause people who upload the recipes have different tastes to my own, but 80% of the time I'm left with a delicious dinner and can't complain. Gonna start branching out more into baking / desserts, I'm gonna tackle making the strudel from Inglorious Basterds.

I just hate how much mess it creates. Gotta wipe down all the countertops / stove after cooking and clean all the pans / utensils. Blah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Because I'm tired of living in 2017, I want to tackle The Infamous "Rusty Dawg"

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

al-azad posted:

I watched that video and they did look really, really good. Pro move to use sub rolls and two hot dogs per bun, which makes eating one of those bastards an actual meal.

One thing I wasn't a fan of, however, was the instruction to "brown" the ground beef in three cups of liquid. C'mon.

(also to use extra virgin oil to sautee the onions, what a waste)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

al-azad posted:

Cumin and Cocoa? :nono:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Midniter posted:

(also to use extra virgin oil to sautee the onions, what a waste)

what's wrong with sauteeing onions in extra virgin olive oil? I do that all the time

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Loopoo posted:

what's wrong with sauteeing onions in extra virgin olive oil? I do that all the time

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, as it won't run your food or anything...but extra virgin olive oil is prized for its subtle and nuanced flavors, which are basically destroyed by cooking it. It's also much more expensive with a lower smoke point than a neutral oil like canola, which is more appropriate for high-heat cooking applications.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you're cooking onions in the relatively cheap "extra virgin olive oil" from the store then you aren't wasting anything. Most people don't have decent EVOO on hand.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is a point of permanent contention between my girlfriend and me, because we do get generic olive oil from the store, but they sell several varieties, one of which is supposed to be suitable for cooking, but all of which cost exactly the same. To me that's a clear indicator that there's no difference except in the label, and at the price point we're talking about who cares anyway, but for some reason we still keep two different bottles around.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the really fresh high quality stuff is kind of cloudy and have a lot of flavonoids and phenols that can burn at lower temps. So, cost notwithstanding, you shouldn't use it to sautee with because burned oil tastes bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Use whatever brand for the cooking olive oil.

For extra virgin you're more likely to get good quality and flavor with a California-based brand