Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm kind of curious, does anyone know how the cable companies enforce app logins? I've started using my partner's cable login at home, he doesn't use the remote apps at all but I figure two users wouldn't raise any alarm bells but a family of 5 all using apps on their phones does seem like it would be unusual either with unlimited data plans and smartphones being so common with families now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've never heard of anyone getting busted for sharing logins. Netflix and Hulu are a bit different because they actually track simultaneous logins but I'm pretty sure most other apps just validate.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bull3964 posted:

I started out with the Hulu service earlier this week. It was a natural add on since I already sub to Hulu Commercial Free. It shows promise, but it's a 30fps service so the framerate isn't what I would call "smooth" with 24fps material (which is the vast majority of dramas out there.)

Wait what

Yea Hulu's framerate maxes out at 30 but I'm not getting how that adversely affects 24fps content. If you were like "horizontal pans on The Daily Show don't look as good" I'd get that, but every TV-based Hulu implementation I've used has had no problem with 24 fps streams. And I'm a massive sperg about that kind of thing.

Edit: I just put together that you're referring to their new cable with buffering thing. Still, 60 is just 2x30 so I'm not seeing what effect only being 30 fps would have on pulldown for showing 24fps content

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 7, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheScott2K posted:

Wait what

Yea Hulu's framerate maxes out at 30 but I'm not getting how that adversely affects 24fps content. If you were like "horizontal pans on The Daily Show don't look as good" I'd get that, but every TV-based Hulu implementation I've used has had no problem with 24 fps streams. And I'm a massive sperg about that kind of thing.

Edit: I just put together that you're referring to their new cable with buffering thing. Still, 60 is just 2x30 so I'm not seeing what effect only being 30 fps would have on pulldown for showing 24fps content

Let's be clear, the actual Hulu content is fine. Those streams are actually 24fps and you either get the native 24fps stream or your device does the 3:2 conversion of the stream and gives it to the TV as 60fps.

It's their new live TV offering (also encompassing DVR recordings and OnDemand) that's the issue. They are sending 24fps content on 30fps transport streams.

It's pretty simple to see why. The 24fps to 60fps uses 3:2 pull down. One frame is repeated 3 times, the next 2, and so on. You get mild judder on 60hz TVs and many 120hz TVs can reverse that and extract the source 24fps material.

So, your frame sequence is:
AAA:BB:CCC:DD

Well, what about 30p?

The most common way to encode 24p into 30p is to repeat the 4th frame.
A:B:C:DD

So this stream needs to be output from the device and displayed on the TV. The device is going to output at 60p so it as to convert that stream.
It doesn't detect as a 24p stream, so it doesn't convert to standard 3:2 pull down, the only thing it can do is frame double.

So, your fame sequence ends up being.
AA:BB:CC:DDDD

TV gets that and basically just displays it as is. It cant do reverse telecine because the frame sequence isn't standard. Every fourth frame is displayed twice as long as every other frame so the judder is greatly exaggerated over standard 3:2. It's not as noticeable on smaller displays, but on larger TVs it jumps out right away.

From the ones I looked at, this affects SlingTV and Hulu. PS Vue's streams are 60p so motion is quite a bit better. I haven't looked at DirecTV Now yet. I've heard that Hulu is eventually going to move to 60p streams which would resolve the issue with that service.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I didn't realize Vue was 60. No wonder my house thinks it looks "better".

You are correct, most decent (and even not so decent) displays will be able to convert that better when conversion is needed. I was wondering what black magic Sony was up to with Vue but I never really thought that hard about why.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Let's be clear, the actual Hulu content is fine. Those streams are actually 24fps and you either get the native 24fps stream or your device does the 3:2 conversion of the stream and gives it to the TV as 60fps.

It's their new live TV offering (also encompassing DVR recordings and OnDemand) that's the issue. They are sending 24fps content on 30fps transport streams.

It's pretty simple to see why. The 24fps to 60fps uses 3:2 pull down. One frame is repeated 3 times, the next 2, and so on. You get mild judder on 60hz TVs and many 120hz TVs can reverse that and extract the source 24fps material.

AAA:BB:CCC:DD

Well, what about 30p?

The most common way to encode 24p into 30p is to repeat the 4th frame.
A:B:C:DD

So this stream needs to be output from the device and displayed on the TV. The device is going to output at 60p so it as to convert that stream.
It doesn't detect as a 24p stream, so it doesn't convert to standard 3:2 pull down, the only thing it can do is frame double.

So, your fame sequence ends up being.
AA:BB:CC:DDDD

TV gets that and basically just displays it as is. It cant do reverse telecine because the frame sequence isn't standard. Every fourth frame is displayed twice as long as every other frame so the judder is greatly exaggerated over standard 3:2. It's not as noticeable on smaller displays, but on larger TVs it jumps out right away.

From the ones I looked at, this affects SlingTV and Hulu. PS Vue's streams are 60p so motion is quite a bit better. I haven't looked at DirecTV Now yet. I've heard that Hulu is eventually going to move to 60p streams which would resolve the issue with that service.

I had never considered that aspect of cable with buffering. Now I will never not notice it. Thanks?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What kills me is that as we moved to digital we didn't resolve all this crap. The only reason why we have multiples off 30 (well 29.97) is because of our 60hz AC frequency and it was therefore the easiest refresh rate on CRTs. We should have just standardized on film 24p as a base and done straight multiples from there.

24/48/72/96

48 would have been the perfect transport stream for bandwidth constrained TV broadcasts. Scripted content would fit without major conversion and you could go 48fps for live stuff.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yesssss!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...s/#1464930e7a51

Still no dtv now but closer!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Is DTVNow any better than when it launched? Originally I signed up because $35 for life for the Go Big package seemed like a good enough discount to justify not actually using it right away but keep it just in-case, but now that Spectrum has engulfed TWC my bill went up another $20 dollars this month (now $205) their reasoning is they don't offer contracts, only period discounted rates which I don't qualify for anymore (even threatening to leave) and also they removed a tier from their internet service or some poo poo. Either way I called and cancelled service and just kept internet which is still $70 a month and 1/3 the speed I had before :(

Anyway, last night I was skimming through DirectvNow and ended up watching something, like 20 minutes in it freezes up so I try to change the channel only the new channel doesn't load either. I close the app and reopen it, same thing. Other streamed stuff from the FTV was working fine. After maybe 30 minutes it was working again so I decided to start over what I was watching. Initially it worked fine and then maybe 45 minutes in to the movie it had a brief hiccup and decided to start the stream over at the beginning with no ability to fast forward or resume from where I was. Is this a fairly common occurrence with the service? I could see that getting really god drat annoying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thebushcommander posted:

Is DTVNow any better than when it launched? Originally I signed up because $35 for life for the Go Big package seemed like a good enough discount to justify not actually using it right away but keep it just in-case, but now that Spectrum has engulfed TWC my bill went up another $20 dollars this month (now $205) their reasoning is they don't offer contracts, only period discounted rates which I don't qualify for anymore (even threatening to leave) and also they removed a tier from their internet service or some poo poo. Either way I called and cancelled service and just kept internet which is still $70 a month and 1/3 the speed I had before :(

Anyway, last night I was skimming through DirectvNow and ended up watching something, like 20 minutes in it freezes up so I try to change the channel only the new channel doesn't load either. I close the app and reopen it, same thing. Other streamed stuff from the FTV was working fine. After maybe 30 minutes it was working again so I decided to start over what I was watching. Initially it worked fine and then maybe 45 minutes in to the movie it had a brief hiccup and decided to start the stream over at the beginning with no ability to fast forward or resume from where I was. Is this a fairly common occurrence with the service? I could see that getting really god drat annoying.

This was my experience as well. I tried to use it from launch through the end of March, and while little things showed improvement, the randomly freezing and terrible on-demand made me give up. I ended up going back to PS Vue.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I haven't had any issues with directv now in months, and even then they were very sparse. Nothing like the regularity described here. Curious what everyone's watching it on. Chromecast exclusively here.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't had any issues with directv now in months, and even then they were very sparse. Nothing like the regularity described here. Curious what everyone's watching it on. Chromecast exclusively here.

Well, they're certainly not watching on a roku!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

No problems watching on an Apple TV.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

flosofl posted:

This was my experience as well. I tried to use it from launch through the end of March, and while little things showed improvement, the randomly freezing and terrible on-demand made me give up. I ended up going back to PS Vue.

Endless Mike posted:

No problems watching on an Apple TV.

Hmm overall it's not bad I guess, it was just annoying. I really don't even watch TV, but the kids...they need Cartoon Network and whatever else apparently. They aren't old enough to fully grasp the dtvnow app and menu structure vs regular cable (dtvnow is really a just lovely UI in general) but I figured we could roll with full time usage for at least a month before I decide if it's worth it. If they're watching Teen Titans Go and it freezes up though...all hell will break loose.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's an AppleTV Cartoon Network app they might find easier to use if you go that route.

Apparently it doesn't have Sonic Boom, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

There's an AppleTV Cartoon Network app they might find easier to use if you go that route.

Apparently it doesn't have Sonic Boom, though.

Won't work with DirectTV Now.

Here's all the 3rd party apps you can use with DirectTV Now credentials.
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215395423-Use-your-DIRECTV-NOW-account-to-access-network-sites-and-mobile-apps

The app will work with Vue.

Here's a spreadsheet of channels and what works where (column I is for 3rd party app support)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FipfKvmctFxzX1dWpUxf94wMbmwyXQq6Ym5cRdV5TAc/htmlview?pli=1

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

These things are all just the second coming of cable, now with buffering. I really don't know why they're talked about in the context of cord cutting.

TheScott2K posted:

I know we all like to pretend the "TV = subscriptions to shows I watch" but the broadcast TV business is still very much a thing, and they're not going to dismantle it for the sake of Cable With Buffering.

TheScott2K posted:

All Cable With Buffering channel lineups are ephemeral.

TheScott2K posted:

So Cable With Buffering on YouTube. Alright.

TheScott2K posted:

Edit: I just put together that you're referring to their new cable with buffering thing.

TheScott2K posted:

I had never considered that aspect of cable with buffering.

goddamn dude, give it a rest. "cord cutting" is different things for a lot of people. some people, like yourself, want only on-demand services. other just want a cable package that isn't $110/mo and these types of services fit the bit

your smug as gently caress "cable with buffering" shtick is real grating and no one cares that it doesn't fit your world vision where the cable companies are smashed up by the likes of netflix and crunchroll.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

goddamn dude, give it a rest. "cord cutting" is different things for a lot of people. some people, like yourself, want only on-demand services. other just want a cable package that isn't $110/mo and these types of services fit the bit

your smug as gently caress "cable with buffering" shtick is real grating and no one cares that it doesn't fit your world vision where the cable companies are smashed up by the likes of netflix and crunchroll.

You'll break on through to the other side where I think most of us are. TheScott2K does have some good contribution to this thread, I just ignore when he starts going off on his "It's still cable TV, you chuckle-gently caress!" style rants.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do think though that if you are spending $110 /month above and beyond your internet for TV with your provider, you need to re-examine your packaging.

The savings are there (with the lower packages), but they are marginal and there's real tradeoffs in quality. That said, the real appeal of these services is the ability to turn them on and off at will and not needing any special equipment beyond what you already have along with the easy ability to watch anywhere.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm seeing a lot of mad about a lot of colloquial references to cable with buffering in that post. Like, the most recent two were using it to distinguish between regular Hulu and their new Sling-like service in an otherwise straightforward conversation about frame rates. "Streaming service" doesn't really describe it well - Netflix is a drat streaming service. It's a little jokey and cynical, but I didn't realize there was someone in the thread with my username on a dart board because of "cable with buffering." Sheesh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Maybe say "streaming cable". Add "service" if you like. People will know what you mean and it won't sound like you're trying to be clever. Cable occasionally freezes, and there is certainly noticeable channel startup time with satellite dishes, so the "with buffering" isn't really a unique qualifier either.

On another note, DIRECTV Now sent me an email last week saying even without a sub you can still watch a few things, but I can't seem to find any way to do that -- the links provided just take me to a subscription page. Any help?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

there is certainly noticeable channel startup time with satellite dishes, so the "with buffering" isn't really a unique qualifier either.

On a modern system there shouldn't be. The delay you see with DirecTV at least is due to the user switching to an inactive transponder and with the Genie models the likelihood of one of the five tuners not being on the same transponder as the channel stream you're wishing to tune is very low unless you're watching some really weird poo poo.

I understood what he was trying to say with "with buffering" but I also have a tough time seeing a real distinction between digital cable as it is now and cable services through streaming services since they both operate in a technically similar manner. A better descriptor would be "cable with third-party middleware".

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cable without a whole bunch of BS fees tacked on to the advertised price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

gret posted:

Cable without a whole bunch of BS fees tacked on to the advertised price.

Until everyone's dreams of all the sports channels being added, then the RSN fees will start.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Until everyone's dreams of all the sports channels being added, then the RSN fees will start.

But RSNs(both FOX and Comcast SN) are already on Vue and DirecTV NOW (even though DTVN has issues showing the you the correct ones in some areas)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I decided to cancel my Charter Spectrum streaming service because I really only used it to watch football on Sundays. I had HBO access through it and decided to fire up HBOGO app on my PS4 and it seems someone forgot to flip a switch because I still have access to everything in the app. Not sure how long it will last but free HBO is pretty cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They are likely obfuscating the fee behind the general price of service. You can bet that once the local RSNs decide to go into carriage agreement negotiations down the line and want to up the fee, it will be a separate line item or a separate tier of service.

There's only so much to be done here. Channels cost 'x' amount and MSOs can only negotiate so much. The same channel cross section from near any provider is going to cost the same (plus or minus loyalty incentives.)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I have a Roku 2 XS and it works fine for days using any app except lately if an ad shows up on Youtube there's a ~20-25% chance that it freezes and reboots. I've checked around and these ghastly Youtube ads are doing the same thing for other 2 XS users. Is there anything to block ads on the Roku? I kind of doubt it but I thought I'd check.

I have a feeling the only solution it to smash this thing with a sledgehammer and buy a Roku Ultra.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
One thing I've noticed with DTVNow is that shows don't seem to start on the hour or half hour anymore. I haven't really crosschecked with our regular satellite setup at work to see if it matches up, but at home I'm seeing programs start at weird times like 9:03 or whatever. It seems worse on some networks than others, like HBO shows seem to stay more or less on schedule, but who the gently caress knows when The Daily Show or @Midnight will be on on any given night.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zogo posted:

I have a Roku 2 XS and it works fine for days using any app except lately if an ad shows up on Youtube there's a ~20-25% chance that it freezes and reboots. I've checked around and these ghastly Youtube ads are doing the same thing for other 2 XS users. Is there anything to block ads on the Roku? I kind of doubt it but I thought I'd check.

I have a feeling the only solution it to smash this thing with a sledgehammer and buy a Roku Ultra.

Youtube Red would probably work.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Inspector 34 posted:

One thing I've noticed with DTVNow is that shows don't seem to start on the hour or half hour anymore. I haven't really crosschecked with our regular satellite setup at work to see if it matches up, but at home I'm seeing programs start at weird times like 9:03 or whatever. It seems worse on some networks than others, like HBO shows seem to stay more or less on schedule, but who the gently caress knows when The Daily Show or @Midnight will be on on any given night.

This might be a Comedy Central thing. They have weird start-times.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I really wish FilmOn would settle down. I loved XTV but then FilmOn went to an outrageous subscription service two weeks ago that's more expensive than ad-free Hulu and killed XTV's UK channels. I then subscribed to the pay service UKTV and that worked for a week and now half of it's channels are jacked up. I have no idea if UKTV's messed up because of FilmOn but it does use their streams. I want 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown dang it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Youtube Red would probably work.

Yes, I have done a cost-benefit analysis and roughly one year of YouTube Red would cost the same as purchasing a Roku Ultra.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zogo posted:

Yes, I have done a cost-benefit analysis and roughly one year of YouTube Red would cost the same as purchasing a Roku Ultra.

But then you'd still have ads.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So apparently my mom's home is in an OTA reception wasteland and Dish wouldn't even install an antenna if we paid them. I got a $500 quote from a local installer, but she decided to just make due with what Sling can provide.

I do not understand how Comcast prices their product. She cut the cord because the best Comcast could offer was $200 for internet, the most basic of channel line-ups, and HBO. My promotional pricing was expiring next month so I called up Comcast expecting some terrible rate increase and instead will be paying $10 less a month. That is $70 less than my mom was paying and I get more channels. :sad:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

So apparently my mom's home is in an OTA reception wasteland and Dish wouldn't even install an antenna if we paid them. I got a $500 quote from a local installer, but she decided to just make due with what Sling can provide.

I do not understand how Comcast prices their product. She cut the cord because the best Comcast could offer was $200 for internet, the most basic of channel line-ups, and HBO. My promotional pricing was expiring next month so I called up Comcast expecting some terrible rate increase and instead will be paying $10 less a month. That is $70 less than my mom was paying and I get more channels. :sad:

The available competition in a given region affects the price a ton.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Have you looked at Dishpointer? It would show exactly whether you'll get a satellite signal for Dish or DirecTV. Unless she lives in a hole in the ground, it's usually possible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Have you looked at Dishpointer? It would show exactly whether you'll get a satellite signal for Dish or DirecTV. Unless she lives in a hole in the ground, it's usually possible.

Apparently there are more than a few elevations obstructing the signal plus a real big hill next to her house. Like I said, Dish wouldn't even consider installing one of their OTA antennas.

astral posted:

The available competition in a given region affects the price a ton.

Same county. It's just odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Same county. It's just odd.

This can vary even within a given city, though. One nearby, for example, had Verizon FIOS (now Frontier, I guess) available in part of it, but the rest of the city wasn't serviced by Verizon - it had AT&T instead. I wouldn't be surprised if the Verizon side had some more competitive cable pricing (or lower promotional/retention rates available) when AT&T in that area still only offered ADSL.