Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Huh looks like he changed his tune, my bad.

Anyways, remember when magic was cool and not lame superhero league knockoffs with boring one dimensional characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc

This was NOT the advertised Hollywood magic video with babes and muscle guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I remember one of my opponents asking for a count of the number of cards in my deck at the Dallas Regionals in 1999. He wanted to make sure my main deck was no less than 60 cards.

It was match 1, game 1 so I'd like to look back and think that 14 year old me rolled my eyes as I handed over the deck. In reality I probably got intimidated that this 30-something year old was acting so ridiculously at a Magic tourney.

I later heard that he also called a judge over at another match to compare his opponents sideboard to the submitted deck list since he thought it was too strong against his main deck.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

homelands cards were loving terrible but it pretty much nailed how to evoke a cool story and world with cards instead of the dumb poo poo they do now

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CKiritz/status/862011374624317440

hmmm.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

That can't be good.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Huh looks like he changed his tune, my bad.

Anyways, remember when magic was cool and not lame superhero league knockoffs with boring one dimensional characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc

Haha this looks like it was filmed at that fake stonehenge tourist trap in Washington.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Hey Wizards convinced Rebecca Guay to do the art for an entire comic book based on Homelands, don't hate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

So on the one hand, it could finally be a trading system overhaul to allow people change their loving binders while having a trade open, so that you can make tickets tradable without redoing the whole loving trade. On the other hand, this could be a catastrophe like much of what they do to MTGO.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Well I'm looking forward to them breaking all bots by accident and the entire economy coming to a screeching halt.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tortilla Maker posted:

I remember one of my opponents asking for a count of the number of cards in my deck at the Dallas Regionals in 1999. He wanted to make sure my main deck was no less than 60 cards.

It was match 1, game 1 so I'd like to look back and think that 14 year old me rolled my eyes as I handed over the deck. In reality I probably got intimidated that this 30-something year old was acting so ridiculously at a Magic tourney.

I later heard that he also called a judge over at another match to compare his opponents sideboard to the submitted deck list since he thought it was too strong against his main deck.

I need to ask this every so often when I play Mill and I'm never quite sure how to do it. I should just be writing down their deck size when it changes the way you track life total but I'm too ADD to do it consistently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tainen posted:

Haha this looks like it was filmed at that fake stonehenge tourist trap in Washington.

Wait, what? How did I not know about this?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, what? How did I not know about this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill_Stonehenge

lol the second picture is from the exact same spot that the first shot in the video was filmed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

No interface changes apparently, just backend/optimization.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

C-Euro posted:

I need to ask this every so often when I play Mill and I'm never quite sure how to do it. I should just be writing down their deck size when it changes the way you track life total but I'm too ADD to do it consistently.

Before the game, when you're shuffling their deck, just count off six piles of ten, note if they have more than 60.

During the game, ask to look at their graveyard and count how many many cards are in it, then add how's many cards are in their hand and in play, and subtract those from 60. I can't imagine that many decks care if their opponent has more than like 40 unless you're playing a deck with Brain Freeze.

Once counting their permanents gets too high and you're close to milling, you can just ask your opponent how many cards are in their deck, or that you want to count it yourself. Deck size is public knowledge and they shouldn't be making a fuss about it unless you're doing it every turn.

The reason that other guy cared about 60 cards in the opponent's deck is because you get a game loss at higher Rules Enforcement Levels if you present too small a deck when a game starts.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PJOmega posted:

Who wants to guess at what this guy considers "bullshit interactions?"

My guess is Playable Removal.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

PJOmega posted:

Who wants to guess at what this guy considers "bullshit interactions?"

Countermagic

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Homelands has Memory Lapse, actually! It's a pretty infuriating card to get looped against.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Frank Lepore put out a new modern league set on the ChannelFireball youtube channel using a U/W As Foretold deck, and despite his absolutely lovely play, I like the gist of the desk. Though, I think it would work a lot better as U/B control, even if you don't get quite the sideboard options that you do in white. But since you don't get Elspeth or Celestial Collonade as finishers, what would you guys use?

Creeping Tar Pit + ???
Tasigur? (More grindy value)
Ven Clique mainboard? (I like the idea of having more flash creatures in to use with As Foretold which is why I would also bump Snapcaster up to 4.)
Ashiok? ( :v: )

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

AlternateNu posted:

Frank Lepore put out a new modern league set on the ChannelFireball youtube channel using a U/W As Foretold deck, and despite his absolutely lovely play, I like the gist of the desk. Though, I think it would work a lot better as U/B control, even if you don't get quite the sideboard options that you do in white. But since you don't get Elspeth or Celestial Collonade as finishers, what would you guys use?

Creeping Tar Pit + ???
Tasigur? (More grindy value)
Ven Clique mainboard? (I like the idea of having more flash creatures in to use with As Foretold which is why I would also bump Snapcaster up to 4.)
Ashiok? ( :v: )

I don't know what his particular list is but isn't one of the draws of the UW build the fact that you can tutor for and cast a free Balance?

I don't know what you're hoping to gain in black over white, but if you want the black that much I'd say just go full Esper. I don't think it's worth giving up Supreme Verdict and Elspeth in a super controlling deck.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Man Homelands was so loving garbage that it almost killed Magic entirely

Even the flavor was wildly uneven and at best just OK

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't know what his particular list is but isn't one of the draws of the UW build the fact that you can tutor for and cast a free Balance?

I don't know what you're hoping to gain in black over white, but if you want the black that much I'd say just go full Esper. I don't think it's worth giving up Supreme Verdict and Elspeth in a super controlling deck.

Yea you play white for Restore Balance, As Fortold with only Ancestral Visions for payoff seems not worth it.

With balance you want planeswalkers for your wincon, since it has the potential to eat your lands and restrict mana for colonnades.

I agree that I'm not sure what U/B brings to the table that esper or grixis doesn't do better.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man Homelands was so loving garbage that it almost killed Magic entirely

Even the flavor was wildly uneven and at best just OK

Yeah for nearly unplayable early sets The Dark, Arabian Nights, and Antiquities beat Homelands on flavor and cards. For clearly unplayable early sets Fallen Empires had much better flavor at least than Homelands. And abu sets the bar overall of course.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for as mocked as fallen empires was pump knights and thrulls were both fun to play with

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yeah for nearly unplayable early sets The Dark, Arabian Nights, and Antiquities beat Homelands on flavor and cards. For clearly unplayable early sets Fallen Empires had much better flavor at least than Homelands. And abu sets the bar overall of course.

There's a whole bunch of actual good cards in Fallen Empires. They're just all commons, with multiple arts, and the set was wildly overprinted so nothing is worth anything.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

There's a whole bunch of actual good cards in Fallen Empires. They're just all commons, with multiple arts, and the set was wildly overprinted so nothing is worth anything.

good cards in fallen empires:
black pump knight
white pump knight
hymn to tourach
high tide(like 5 years later)

that said, I think Fallen Empires' and IA/AL flavor texts are both extremely underrated because they do a good job at portraying a world. I liked the Sorine Relicbane/Arcum Dagsson interaction, for instance

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I would have never thought that you could not get two token from Kalitas with Anointed Procession of the field.

http://magicjudge.tumblr.com/post/160487215239/weird-card-interaction-alert-kalitas-anointed

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Hmmm. I actually run with 3x Phantasmal Image because I like the card so much. Kataki is a 2-of in the board along with 2x meddling Mage (my loving favourite sideboard card)

OG Thalia interacts poorly with CoCo

The CoCo interaction is definitely a concern, although I've found that I often want to cast CoCo last (since it's more reliable to play stuff like Spell Queller, or a Hexproof provider, rather than hoping to hit one with the CoCo), so I think most of the time I'm okay paying the extra mana. That said, I've only played the deck through a couple of leagues online, so I'm still learning the ropes.

For Phantasmal Image, how often are you copying an opponent's creature with it? I find that I'm only happy with it if I'm copying my Drogskol Captain. Otherwise, it doesn't get flash from my Rattlechains, so it can't even be used as extra Spell Quellers, or as a surprise hexproof provider. I did copy an opponent's creature once or twice so they could trade in combat, but that's a pretty lame use of it. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it, and it's fine just to be Selfless Spirit #2 as extra insurance? I don't know, it feels like the deck benefits from having a variety of spirits out more than doubling up on any (except for the captain).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShadeofBlue posted:

The CoCo interaction is definitely a concern, although I've found that I often want to cast CoCo last (since it's more reliable to play stuff like Spell Queller, or a Hexproof provider, rather than hoping to hit one with the CoCo), so I think most of the time I'm okay paying the extra mana. That said, I've only played the deck through a couple of leagues online, so I'm still learning the ropes.

For Phantasmal Image, how often are you copying an opponent's creature with it? I find that I'm only happy with it if I'm copying my Drogskol Captain. Otherwise, it doesn't get flash from my Rattlechains, so it can't even be used as extra Spell Quellers, or as a surprise hexproof provider. I did copy an opponent's creature once or twice so they could trade in combat, but that's a pretty lame use of it. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it, and it's fine just to be Selfless Spirit #2 as extra insurance? I don't know, it feels like the deck benefits from having a variety of spirits out more than doubling up on any (except for the captain).

It being capt 5-6 is a really strong selling point of the card because having two capts are the strongest play of your deck. It also leads to some obscene coco's but they are more rare. (spell queller cloning, etc). Selfless spirit while good in a very general sense, is only really shining when it cock blocks sweepers. Too often selfless spirit is trading 1 for 1 and that doesn't always generate much value.

It also has a lot of value in paper because people dont understand the rules around clones very well. Opponents only know what its choosing to clone when its too late as you can't respond to it once its in play. The cloning also doesn't target, so it gets through hexproof and other things.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

Thalia ruins your chance if a a T3 coco with an Noble.

Top things I have copied with phantasmal image:

- captain (super good)
- selfless spirit
- mausoleum wanderer (pumps easily)
- spell queller (on coco)
- meddling mage (also very good)
- noble hierarch (exalted Trigger)
- wurmcoil
- ulamog (coco into it)
- emrakul (coco into it)
- that 15/15 wurm (coco)
- snapcaster (once targeting coco and once for an emergency path)
- kor firewalker

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I finally got the frames and mattes for my Melissa Benson sketches. It's going to be nice to get them on the wall this weekend.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

black pump knight
white pump knight
hymn to tourach

that said, I think Fallen Empires' and IA/AL flavor texts are both extremely underrated because they do a good job at portraying a world. I liked the Sorine Relicbane/Arcum Dagsson interaction, for instance

It'd never happen with today's writing, but I liked the documentary style storytelling of Fallen Empires.

Bugsy posted:

I would have never thought that you could not get two token from Kalitas with Anointed Procession of the field.

http://magicjudge.tumblr.com/post/160487215239/weird-card-interaction-alert-kalitas-anointed

Wow, they used the wrong wording and accidentally ruined a bunch of casual zombie decks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sickening posted:

It was just once at this tournament that I know of. The point is that owen didn't talk to his opponent at all, owen didn't observe any behavior he thought was strange, he simply called a judge based on a very popular deckbox because he thought he could get a free win. Its probably a safe assumption that he does this often, especially in day 1.

How would that work even if there were more than the registered 75 in the box? Surely it's only illegal to present something other than what you registered, right? I don't see much of a difference between having a double deck box and having two deck boxes in your bag.

Not looking to continue the discussion about angle shooting, just curious about the rules.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm curious about that as well. I've been to a tourney where I only brought my deckbox and no bag for example. Where I also didn't decide on my final sideboard until that morning so I had 80 cards in my box, 5 unsleeved and behind a separator from my actual deck. All my friends said I'd definitely get a game loss if I were deckchecked but it made no sense to me. My 75 is clearly separate, matches my registration sheet, and there is no way to show intent to cheat...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

people who don't show up in today's Magic Storytm: literally any planeswalker

also djeru is incredibly boring

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I'm curious about that as well. I've been to a tourney where I only brought my deckbox and no bag for example. Where I also didn't decide on my final sideboard until that morning so I had 80 cards in my box, 5 unsleeved and behind a separator from my actual deck. All my friends said I'd definitely get a game loss if I were deckchecked but it made no sense to me. My 75 is clearly separate, matches my registration sheet, and there is no way to show intent to cheat...

I don't remember the exact rule but your friends are correct. I definitely remember seeing people get losses (I think in the specific case I'm thinking of it was a straight up round loss iirc) because they had an EDH deck with them in a double deckbox. You may not be cheating and the guy with the EDH deck probably wasn't either, but this is MTG and there are people who will at least try.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

black pump knight
white pump knight
hymn to tourach

cards that are good cards but not necessarily very strong that were in FE (and certainly not strong by today's standards):
- Mindstab Thrull
- Aeolipile
- Goblin Grenade
- Brassclaw Orcs
- Breeding Pit
- Icatian Javlineers
- Derelor
- Goblin Warrens
- Vodalian Mage

Basically, I think the set was pretty underrated. But it was also massively overprinted and over-ordered and still underpowered/underwhelming compared to Legends and the Dark (neither of which has aged all that well, but were *SO COOL* at the time it didn't matter), and so its reputation at the time was well-deserved.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boxman posted:

How would that work even if there were more than the registered 75 in the box? Surely it's only illegal to present something other than what you registered, right? I don't see much of a difference between having a double deck box and having two deck boxes in your bag.

Not looking to continue the discussion about angle shooting, just curious about the rules.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You can't have extra cards in your deckbox for competitive rel. Only the registered cards and tokens. Deckboxes with multiple compartments or large enough for two may only have the 75 you registered during the event.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Elyv posted:

people who don't show up in today's Magic Storytm: literally any planeswalker

also djeru is incredibly boring

That's not actually a bad story today, well considering the bar of the usual drivel anyway.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sickening posted:

You can't have extra cards in your deckbox for competitive rel. Only the registered cards and tokens. Deckboxes with multiple compartments or large enough for two may only have the 75 you registered during the event.

That rule seems stupid (what's the difference between extra cards in the deck box and extra cards in your pack?) but I'm glad to know about it! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boxman posted:

That rule seems stupid (what's the difference between extra cards in the deck box and extra cards in your pack?) but I'm glad to know about it! Thanks!

The spirit of the rule is to discourage people from using unregistered cards during matches. Deck checks only happen so often and if it was legal to have extra cards in more convenient reach it would happen more often than it already does.