Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been in a ton of alphas and betas and it's always a painful experience, particularly the usual beta rush of idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Len posted:

The forums are currently arguing over what "pay 2 win" means with there being two camps. One that the new system is trash and p2w and the other being that you aren't paying to win anything because tsw isn't a competitive game also you have the wrong definition of p2w

It doesn't sound P2W. It still sounds so incredibly poo poo that even though I'm a grandmaster there's a good chance I'm not gonna bother with SWL because they'd be actively loving over my friends that would be free players.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair every single P2W game has ardent defenders arguing the game isn't P2W at all because what can you win? It's not like there's e-sports with actual prices so QED, you lose!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It doesn't sound P2W. It still sounds so incredibly poo poo that even though I'm a grandmaster there's a good chance I'm not gonna bother with SWL because they'd be actively loving over my friends that would be free players.

Can I have your account if you won't play?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah this. I was pretty pumped for the relaunch but this system is worse than loving old republic was when they went free. It takes real effort to out-lovely EA although I'm not all that surprised.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Between this news and getting bored midway through Transylvania, I don't think I'll be coming back. Which is a bummer, but there's no way these mechanics are going to enthuse me any more than unlocking aux weapons did.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Gonna give it some time and hope they come to their senses later in beta. Hopefully even :siren:FUNCOM:siren: isn't dumb enough to relaunch the game just to cater to the same 83 self-punishing whales that were still playing it before but... who knows?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Funcom has announced that SWL will be launching on June 26.

Hopefully they can finish getting their poo poo together in another month and a half.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 9, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

macnbc posted:

Hopefully they can finish getting their poo poo together in another month and a half.

Yeah, they aren't going to get everything properly tested and fixed by then. Transylvania will be a shitshow. Wonder if they will even have elite and nightmare modes in a launch.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

macnbc posted:

Woooooow

RIP TSW

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Morglon posted:

Yeah this. I was pretty pumped for the relaunch but this system is worse than loving old republic was when they went free. It takes real effort to out-lovely EA although I'm not all that surprised.

Didnt the SWTOR relaunch make players pay for additional action bars? Surely this isnt that bad.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CoffeeBooze posted:

Didnt the SWTOR relaunch make players pay for additional action bars? Surely this isnt that bad.

I think the f2p people only got one bar which would make it impossible to play certain classes.

There was a ton of backlash though so the peasants got a second bar.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently this is from the announcement video:

Double weapons. Officially a feature

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
IIRC at Launch SWTOR f2p you had 2 bars. But if you spent literally any money you got all 4 bars, subs got 6.

It wasn't great, but you could get by with the two bars.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Aside from stats from the gear, I cannot imagine what benefit equipping two of the same weapon would give you.

That said, I'm the guy that finished the vanilla content without knowing how gear works due to this game's lovely gear system.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dexo posted:

IIRC at Launch SWTOR f2p you had 2 bars. But if you spent literally any money you got all 4 bars, subs got 6.

It wasn't great, but you could get by with the two bars.

You also had to pay real life cash for sprint, real life cash to craft purple items and oh man.. SWTOR was bad.

I don't think Secret World Legends will be as bad as SWTOR, maybe it will achieve Neverwinter levels of badness.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah I'm not gonna deny that Star Wars had some really lovely stuff in it but not even they restricted the amount of loot you could get in one day with the option to potentially pay real money to get more which is one of the shittiest things a game can do.They did restrict your ability to dungeon run and raid but you could still do daily quests and just outright buy the gear with the marks which I was perfectly fine with since the dungeons and raids were kind of crap anyway. From what I'm reading here I'll be pretty much forced to do dungeons to even upgrade my gear because no random drops because gently caress you that's why.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Aside from stats from the gear, I cannot imagine what benefit equipping two of the same weapon would give you.

That said, I'm the guy that finished the vanilla content without knowing how gear works due to this game's lovely gear system.

It's a long lasting visual bug where your weapon sometimes just does that. I went through the entire tutorial for legends with two shotguns

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well of course they're not gonna fix a bug you reported.

Exmond posted:

You also had to pay real life cash for sprint, real life cash to craft purple items and oh man.. SWTOR was bad.

I don't think Secret World Legends will be as bad as SWTOR, maybe it will achieve Neverwinter levels of badness.

I don't know what this means. I played Neverwinter for launch week and made it maybe to level 20 before ragequitting due to Cryptic's servers. I couldn't stay connected for more than 15-20 minutes at any given time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Exmond posted:

No you didn't.

For sprint if you didn't pay you just got it at level 10 or whenever it was when you got it when the game first launched. Those who paid got it at level 1.

I can't speak to the crafting as gently caress if I did any of that in the game, but the only system that was actual garbage with SWTOR F2P is the credit escrow system.

Every unlock was buyable with Credits on the Auction house. most of those unlocks could be gotten for like 30k credits which is nothing when endgame daily zones are making GBS threads credits at you.

The Credit escrow was dumb as poo poo which I won't defend as you had to have extra credits to buy access to the money in your escrow otherwise you couldn't spend more than the like 300k you could hold on you at once.

SWTOR's system was not nearly as bad in practice as it looked on paper. Besides the Credit Escrow that is.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 9, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dexo posted:

No you didn't.

For sprint if you didn't pay you just got it at level 10 or whenever it was when you got it when the game first launched. Those who paid got it at level 1.

I can't speak to the crafting as gently caress if I did any of that in the game, but the only system that was actual garbage with SWTOR F2P is the credit escrow system.

Every unlock was buyable with Credits on the Auction house. most of those unlocks could be gotten for like 30k credits which is nothing when endgame daily zones are making GBS threads credits at you.

The Credit escrow was dumb as poo poo which I won't defend as you had to have extra credits to buy access to the money in your escrow otherwise you couldn't spend more than the like 300k you could hold on you at once.

SWTOR's system was not nearly as bad in practice as it looked on paper. Besides the Credit Escrow that is.

Sorry you had to pay real life cash to use a mount. This is when it first rolled out so a lot has changed since then.

I compare SWTORS mount to Secret worlds sprint.

Either way it isn't looking good for Secret World Legends. Ill probaby play for a bit since its free, but the big draw will be if they release a new issue once it goes free to play

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Exmond posted:

Sorry you had to pay real life cash to use a mount. This is when it first rolled out so a lot has changed since then.

I compare SWTORS mount to Secret worlds sprint.

Either way it isn't looking good for Secret World Legends. Ill probaby play for a bit since its free, but the big draw will be if they release a new issue once it goes free to play

No you didn't. You just had to wait til the mount level 20 or 25 in order to get the training. If you were "prefered or higher" it you got it at the level you used to get sprint IIRC.

This system seems way worse all around.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 9, 2017

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Morglon posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna deny that Star Wars had some really lovely stuff in it but not even they restricted the amount of loot you could get in one day with the option to potentially pay real money to get more which is one of the shittiest things a game can do.They did restrict your ability to dungeon run and raid but you could still do daily quests and just outright buy the gear with the marks which I was perfectly fine with since the dungeons and raids were kind of crap anyway. From what I'm reading here I'll be pretty much forced to do dungeons to even upgrade my gear because no random drops because gently caress you that's why.

Wait, are you still going to get quest reward items or are those gone too?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Welp I'm done with beta until 6/9/17 when my ban gets lifted. I was too negative

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHA! What was the final straw? And how loving negative could you have been?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! What was the final straw? And how loving negative could you have been?

I don't know. But pretty negative over the whole mof system because it's trash.

Honestly if it wasn't me they probably would have left me alone. NeutralMurray went in with a mod bias

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Exmond posted:

Ehhh, unless there's a massive duplication glitch that allows for the creation of absurd amounts of cash currency and Funcom refuses to do a rollback/wipe, I don't think it'll hit Neverwinter level bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

Ehhh, unless there's a massive duplication glitch that allows for the creation of absurd amounts of cash currency and Funcom refuses to do a rollback/wipe, I don't think it'll hit Neverwinter level bad.

Like the Eblis BB one?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

Like the Eblis BB one?

I must have missed this. Do tell. :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

I must have missed this. Do tell. :allears:

If the party wiped to his AoE that pops after his charge for each person killed that way an Eblis would spawn. You could kill a duplicate without having to worry about ending the fight and it dropped his loot bag. So you could murder infinite Eblis and get as much BB as you had patience. This was also during the time where you could abuse a weapon power bug so after every 10th wipe you could add a permanent (until you left the zone) boost to your damage equal to your highest weapons weapon power.

This was never rolled back. The only roll back Funcom ever did was NM scenarios to remove the achievement clothing from anyone who went into NM solo with a group

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

I don't know. But pretty negative over the whole mof system because it's trash.

Honestly if it wasn't me they probably would have left me alone. NeutralMurray went in with a mod bias

That is just disgusting, I'm sorry.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Len posted:

If the party wiped to his AoE that pops after his charge for each person killed that way an Eblis would spawn. You could kill a duplicate without having to worry about ending the fight and it dropped his loot bag. So you could murder infinite Eblis and get as much BB as you had patience. This was also during the time where you could abuse a weapon power bug so after every 10th wipe you could add a permanent (until you left the zone) boost to your damage equal to your highest weapons weapon power.

This was never rolled back. The only roll back Funcom ever did was NM scenarios to remove the achievement clothing from anyone who went into NM solo with a group

These two were the greatest of bugs, the third would have to be infinitely summoning lair bosses.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
I might have missed it, but is there any benefit to having a previous lifetime account or is there no relation between that and legends?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

You will have all weapons unlocked and a few other benefits I think. It seems pretty helpful if you just want to see the story content.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A lifetime account translates over the same way it is now. Lots of goodies in store for you! Excepting mechanics...

Just owning and playing TSW gives you the weapons.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

I forgot about thwoompa doing that in the goon NMs group way back when. Good times!

But yeah, going by SWL's current state and the planned June launch, the game is already dead in the water. Relaunches get enough apathy and skepticism as it is, so you really have to nail the landing. Nickel and diming F2P players to the extent of literally charging them time-gated currency to RESURRECT is not going to be well received by anyone outside of the aforementioned 83 whales that still play the original game.

What a goddamn waste of time and resources... but hey, it's Funcom's money, I guess.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Amante posted:

But yeah, going by SWL's current state and the planned June launch, the game is already dead in the water. Relaunches get enough apathy and skepticism as it is, so you really have to nail the landing. Nickel and diming F2P players to the extent of literally charging them time-gated currency to RESURRECT is not going to be well received by anyone outside of the aforementioned 83 whales that still play the original game.

Im kind of skeptical about this. TSW generally has a good reputation for its world building and story telling. Its combat system of course is generally loathed though so if Funcom actually manages to fix combat there will probably be a fair bit of interest in the game. Now, how long that interest will last is definitely going to be interesting to see but I think launch day will have quite a few new players at least trying to log in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah RPS comments and elsewhere has a lot of people going "neat, didn't like the combat, I'll try this revamp".

If they piss off the free players like they're bound to do with too much phone game freemium poo poo, that goes away fast and you'll have just TSW vets with grandmaster accounts left. The 83 whales are going to be playing classic TSW because of all their hard earned progression being reset in SWL :haw:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
How does the "you have to pay to resurrect" thing interact with the quests where you have to kill yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Piell posted:

How does the "you have to pay to resurrect" thing interact with the quests where you have to kill yourself?

Probably exactly how you think it does.

• Locked thread