Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap mic/headset? My old one finally crapped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grem posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap mic/headset? My old one finally crapped out.

How cheap? The PS gold has always been reliable and it isn't incredibly pricey.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i will always shill for the hyperx cloud headset as i think the sound quality is extremely good and the mic appears to be perfectly fine, and it regularly goes on sale for $50. but one of my friends ordered this and if you can get over the branding it appears to be a pretty good deal for thirty bucks: https://store.bethsoft.com/vault-111-steelseries-siberia-headset

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

How cheap? The PS gold has always been reliable and it isn't incredibly pricey.
Do current versions of it have the problem where the ear cup material flakes off like crazy? I bought one at launch and it sure did for me until I finally had to throw it away because it was leaving black stuff everywhere.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

rabidsquid posted:

i will always shill for the hyperx cloud headset as i think the sound quality is extremely good and the mic appears to be perfectly fine, and it regularly goes on sale for $50. but one of my friends ordered this and if you can get over the branding it appears to be a pretty good deal for thirty bucks: https://store.bethsoft.com/vault-111-steelseries-siberia-headset

I'll probably go with this cause holy poo poo look at it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do current versions of it have the problem where the ear cup material flakes off like crazy? It sure did for me until I finally had to throw it away because it was leaving black stuff everywhere.

I've had mine for ages and never encountered this, though I have on other cheap headsets. Perhaps my luscious mane is naturally oiling the cups.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I've had mine for ages and never encountered this, though I have on other cheap headsets. Perhaps my luscious mane is naturally oiling the cups.
I was wondering if it was environmental factors, I was living in a fairly humid and sea salty environment at the time.

Edit: it was the sides that were peeling off, not the part in contact with my head.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The destruction on certain maps on BF1 is amazing. Like the B village on Suez always ends up completely leveled and full of craters. Plus prepatch Frontlines would make maps into moonscapes because they could last 1.5 hours+.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Grem posted:

Yeah if you're looking for cheap and decent that's the golds. I sold mine but never had issues with any part of it breaking/flaking/etc. Arguing about the built quality of those and the headband snapping etc is a deep rabbit hole we shouldn't go down. So yeah, get those, maybe find a used pair

Also just to reiterate the platinum headsets are a huge waste of money. It's just the golds 2.0 with a different design and twice the price.

I'm still digging the lucid sound LS30s. Absolutely do not bother with the newer LS40s. For some reason I have this obsession with trying out all the expensive wireless headsets
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I might try the TB elite 800s (refurbished or Amazon warehouse of course) or the steel series Siberia steel series h x whatever the gently caress. The new model with Bluetooth is like loving $330 but the previous model used or refurbished without is 1/3 the price, I think

Even though I'm all :homebrew: I can't bring myself to pay $300 for the new model astro a50s

Idk what the gently caress I'm on about :spergin:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Glad I waited to dig in on Horizon, the new HUD customization options in the latest patch are a big deal. I turned the compass off and disabled plant icons except for when I'm using Focus, and it makes the world feel way more immersive. I'm now looking at the stuff around me instead of the icons plastered all over them and using landmarks to orient myself. Huge improvement.

Wait, can you turn the whole hud off now?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

acksplode posted:

Glad I waited to dig in on Horizon, the new HUD customization options in the latest patch are a big deal. I turned the compass off and disabled plant icons except for when I'm using Focus, and it makes the world feel way more immersive. I'm now looking at the stuff around me instead of the icons plastered all over them and using landmarks to orient myself. Huge improvement.

I had all quest markers/waypoints turned off when I played but being able to turn most other stuff sounds amazing. I'll have to do that when it gets DLC.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

People recommend these a lot and I'm sure they're great but it's worth mentioning it's wired and I read conflicting stuff online that the mute button doesn't work or something? Plus I need separate audio/chat audio controls. Does it have that? I know you can do it in the PS4 UI. Easily accessible mute button is a must because I speak to my dog in full sentences and walk around my place naked with my headset on

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

can you elaborate on why being nude means you need mute

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Because I wanted you all to know obv

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snak posted:

Wait, can you turn the whole hud off now?

You can turn every separate bit of the HUD on or off, and a lot of them also have a dynamic or Focus-only option. It's really great. Shoulda been there on release.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

acksplode posted:

Oh sweet, it actually updated while I was playing last night and I forgot to restart to see the changes. Anything else major?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

You can turn every separate bit of the HUD on or off, and a lot of them also have a dynamic or Focus-only option. It's really great. Shoulda been there on release.

Oh wow that is cool. Focus only HUD should have been the default.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Holy poo poo I'm gonna replay the whole game now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'd like to try it but does having access to the HUD only when basically standing still cause any problems in combat etc?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Between the success of Zelda and all of these Devs adding options for less and less HUD I hope this is the beginning of the end when it comes to icon hunting based open world games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Horizon still has the problem of the items being sets to be useful. Wish its was not like that.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd like to try it but does having access to the HUD only when basically standing still cause any problems in combat etc?

I haven't had any problems, stuff seems to pop in when it's necessary. In any case you can graze the touchpad with your finger to pop in the entire HUD (except for focus-only stuff).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Horizon still has the problem of the items being sets to be useful. Wish its was not like that.

I'm not sure what you mean there? Are you referring to the crafting?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the collectible things

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Everyones like "the games have dried up for the second half of the year" and I'm all well lads, let me tell you enjoy anti gravity racecars and orange marsupials :haw:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Macarius Wrench posted:

Everyones like "the games have dried up for the second half of the year" and I'm all well lads, let me tell you enjoy anti gravity racecars and orange marsupials :haw:

They so haven't dried up at all. Oh my god, there are so many good games this year.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

They so haven't dried up at all. Oh my god, there are so many good games this year.

Oh hell yeah been a great year so far but I've seen a few comments that 2017 part 2 doesn't look as strong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are already enough quality games out this year to keep me going until 2018.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This year just doesn't let up. It's kind of insane, because I can think of games I want coming out all throughout the year and a lot of them are ones I just have to get! I just finally got around to GR2 and Nier, hopefully I can finish those before Tekken 7 and Crash!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The only thing I'm looking forward to in 2017 now is Uncharted Lost Legacy, assuming RDR 2 is delayed.

e3 should have some stuff though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea e3 will announce some stuff for the end of the year. I'm sure the summer drought will still be in effect tho

rdr2 not being delayed would be the most surprising news I can think of

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I would welcome a summer drought tbh, But with Tekken 7 and Crash Bandicoot coming out in the summer and then Destiny 2 afterwards. Great year for gaming, less so for my wallet.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

People recommend these a lot and I'm sure they're great but it's worth mentioning it's wired and I read conflicting stuff online that the mute button doesn't work or something? Plus I need separate audio/chat audio controls. Does it have that? I know you can do it in the PS4 UI. Easily accessible mute button is a must because I speak to my dog in full sentences and walk around my place naked with my headset on

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/rig-500

I have these and I can not fault them.

Mute by swinging the boom mic up. Sound is good and when in party chat the mix between audio and chat is really good and everything from both sources are clear and nothing drowns each other out. Fits perfectly over the psvr headset too.

Modular to boot so if you break something you can replace whatever breaks.

I had the Golds and got a bit frustrated by the volume and chat volume buttons. The chat volume is actually a mix of where if you turn the chat volume up the sfx volume goes down. The steps are too big a jump and you either have too loud sfx that drowns out the chat or too loud a chat that drowns out the sfx

I could never get find a sweet spot between the two so they got relegated to my pc for couch gaming.

E: unrelated, free LocoRoco dynamic theme on this page.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/05/09/locoroco-creators-on-the-game-that-made-the-world-smile/

Puddin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 11, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Between the success of Zelda and all of these Devs adding options for less and less HUD I hope this is the beginning of the end when it comes to icon hunting based open world games.

HUD options, along with sound settings, button customization and similar should be standard imo. If devs want me to spend tens of hours with their products they should do an effort to make me "comfortable" with their poo poo.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
HUD stuff normally doesn't matter to me but it was quite noticeable in Horizon to the point I turned what I could off. Testament to how gorgeous that game is.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sefal posted:

I would welcome a summer drought tbh, But with Tekken 7 and Crash Bandicoot coming out in the summer and then Destiny 2 afterwards. Great year for gaming, less so for my wallet.

Also FFXII, Uncharted DLC, and who knows what's announced at E3?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

piss

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

Also FFXII, Uncharted DLC, and who knows what's announced at E3?

Wasn't the Uncharted DLC turned into a full retail-release side-game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't the Uncharted DLC turned into a full retail-release side-game?

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's popular enough to get a retail release but it's still more of a stand-alone DLC type deal, and is priced lower accordingly.