Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Section 9 posted:

I might have missed this being mentioned before, but does anyone know if it is going to be released on Showtime Hulu subscription at the same time as broadcast? I don't have cable and was planning to get a Showtime Hulu sub just for this, but just need to know when to schedule my watching party.

Yes, otherwise a Showtime subscription has zero reason to exist if you don't actually get Showtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

grilldos posted:

Yes, otherwise a Showtime subscription has zero reason to exist if you don't actually get Showtime.

I know it is going to be on Hulu-Showtime, I'm wondering about the timing of when it will actually show up on Hulu. As it airs, an hour after it airs, a day after it airs?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
As it airs.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I wonder if they'll ever do a widescreen release of the series. I have no problem with the original aspect ratio and I know it was shot with that in mind, but the blu-ray menus have some gorgeous 16:9 shots featured on each disc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

el oso posted:

I wonder if they'll ever do a widescreen release of the series. I have no problem with the original aspect ratio and I know it was shot with that in mind, but the blu-ray menus have some gorgeous 16:9 shots featured on each disc.
Lynch is pretty explicit about theatrical cuts being the final cuts of his work (Or I guess in this case the episodes that aired on TV, even for the portion of the show he wasn't too involved in himself). I'd have to imagine he views the aspect ratio in the same way.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

el oso posted:

Aren't those just zoomed-in clips from the show? Harder to tell since they only used exterior shots

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Aren't those just zoomed-in clips from the show? Harder to tell since they only used exterior shots

Yeah, you're right. Did some comparisons from the title screens to the episodes and it's just a zoom - I'm going to blame the wine consumption, but it really did some like some shots were native 16:9 on whatever disc that was.

I haven't checked out The Wire in 16:9 but there's a pretty interesting article from him on the process of doing it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Some actual new information!

Well, at least an interesting article.

http://feature.variety.com/twin-peaks/

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

quote:

For those expecting a similar structure to the original, which revolved around Laura’s death, Frost issues a warning: “It’s going to be very different this time around.”

Hmm. Between this and the stuff about the scope being wider this time around, I wonder if this means season 3 is going resemble something closer to Frost's novel than expected.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

quote:

“Kyle and I had several scenes, particularly in the car, when we're talking about the robins,” 

This sounds perfect. I can't wait.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I had a dream the other night where I was rewatching Batman Forever, and Sherilynn Fenn played "Spice". I was absolutely certain that I wasn't imagining it, when I woke up, but I was. Debi Mazar was Spice. And that's fine, but she's no Audrey.

:allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hop in loser we're going to the black lodge

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CJacobs posted:

hop in loser we're going to the black lodge

Hope they are going to be drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bobkatt013 posted:

Hope they are going to be drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon

I'll watch anything that moves! That Lynch directed!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Raxivace posted:

Hmm. Between this and the stuff about the scope being wider this time around, I wonder if this means season 3 is going resemble something closer to Frost's novel than expected.

I think he just meant that the majority of the new season may not even take place in Twin Peaks.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah I could buy other entrances to the Lodge being important. Especially after the book (which is good )

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
From the way it's written I think it might drastically expand in scale, it's no longer just about Twin Peaks. That's only where the fire started. The lodges become a metaphor for a collective soul, BOB is no longer limited to one body. He jumps at will and Cooper has to chase after him across America, uncovering more secrets of the Lodges as he goes and attempting to piece together a way to permanently seal him out of our world.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 10, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

From the way it's written I think it might drastically expand in scale, it's no longer just about Twin Peaks. That's only where the fire started. The lodges become a metaphor for a collective soul, BOB is no longer limited to one body. He jumps at will and Cooper has to chase after him across America, uncovering more secrets of the Lodges as he goes and attempting to piece together a way to permanently seal him out of our world.

But Cooper is Bob?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

cis autodrag posted:

But Cooper is Bob?

If anyone else wrote this, I'd say that's a given. But honestly I could totally see Lynch saying "yeah, we dealt with that offscreen."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"We're not going to talk about Bob at all"

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I can see it being the "Who killed Laura Palmer?" question this time around. Never directly addressed, let alone resolved, but just left to constantly tick in everybody's mind as they watch.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Huh, I always just assumed this season would start with the real Cooper returning from the Black Lodge.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Captain_Person posted:

I can see it being the "Who killed Laura Palmer?" question this time around. Never directly addressed, let alone resolved, but just left to constantly tick in everybody's mind as they watch.

Now that I you mention it, I think you're right. Lynch loves unsolved mysteries and he really didn't want to reveal Laura's killer.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maybe he just changed his mind but I still find it hard to believe that he never wanted to reveal it at all considering he made an entire movie surrounding the answer and wasn't under obligation to do so.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Maybe he just changed his mind but I still find it hard to believe that he never wanted to reveal it at all considering he made an entire movie surrounding the answer and wasn't under obligation to do so.

If the world gives you lemons...

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

And More posted:

Huh, I always just assumed this season would start with the real Cooper returning from the Black Lodge.

Honestly I've been expecting possessed Coop as the villain personally.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zartosht posted:

Honestly I've been expecting possessed Coop as the villain personally.
That's what I've been expecting too though who knows what will happen.

IIRC there's a bit of foreshadowing in the original series that suggests Hawk might save Coop from BOB, and they could always say that happened inbetween seasons I guess.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What if Laura Dern is Diane

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

multijoe posted:

What if she's Judy?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Person posted:

Huh? Whether or not Lynch wanted to answer it, this was addressed...

Also is a huge part of what makes this show amazing tbh.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

multijoe posted:

I'm guessing she's either Diane or the agent from Frost's book.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RIP Michael Parks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope Lynch does something new with Twin Peaks and just leaves old questions completely unanswered.

Yeah Coop is okay now and no you don't get to figure out why.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Why?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It would be difficult to come up with satisfactory answers after 25 years of fan speculation.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sure, and there's absolutely no way everyone's satisfied no matter what Lynch does. "Don't even try" seems like a lazy idea though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd be alright with that so long as they write in a part for the kid that danced his way out of the scene in the first episode.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Sure, and there's absolutely no way everyone's satisfied no matter what Lynch does. "Don't even try" seems like a lazy idea though.

Let me put it this way: I'd rather he make something good even if he ignores old continuity elements in favor of bringing in something new.

What I don't want to see is fan service crap where we need follow ups on every minute thing that happened in the old series. But Lynch always tends to go his own way, so I'm not too worried that will happen.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Let me put it this way: I'd rather he make something good even if he ignores old continuity elements in favor of bringing in something new.

What I don't want to see is fan service crap where we need follow ups on every minute thing that happened in the old series. But Lynch always tends to go his own way, so I'm not too worried that will happen.

There's fanservice continuity wank and then there's the insane cliffhanger where the protagonist has his soul taken by the primary antagonist and is possessed by him. If Lynch didn't go somewhere with that I'd question why he agreed to revive Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ginette Reno posted:

This I completely agree with.

• Locked thread