Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I'd feel real uneasy finding out I lived in a part of the galaxy where massive super advanced empires regularly had their megastructures wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
edit: Wait a sec, my game's still 1.5.1. Forget this for now.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 10, 2017

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

I'd feel real uneasy finding out I lived in a part of the galaxy where massive super advanced empires regularly had their megastructures wrecked.

I'm sure it's fine, what's the worst that could happen?

Also I didn't see this mentioned but there's a new anomaly for living metal deposits. Linking in case anyone wants to find it themselves for some reason.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, man. Somehow while I was trying to sleep last night, it occurred to me that I don't have to terraform planets. I can just send my dudes to wherever and then genetically engineer them to PREFER that planet type.

Why didn't I think of this earlier?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Korgan posted:

I'm sure it's fine, what's the worst that could happen?

Also I didn't see this mentioned but there's a new anomaly for living metal deposits. Linking in case anyone wants to find it themselves for some reason.

What the heck they added an event that isn't Shadow Play?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Another thing I'm surprised I didn't notice:

I updated to 1.6 and now my mineral production per month dropped by 90. Not a percent. 90 minerals.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Veryslightlymad posted:

Another thing I'm surprised I didn't notice:

I updated to 1.6 and now my mineral production per month dropped by 90. Not a percent. 90 minerals.

Do you have sectors? You pay goods upkeep for sectors now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Luigi Thirty posted:

The drat thing crashes after mission 8 if you don't have a certain version of FSOpen.

i approve of this message

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Anyone know offhand if the weights for Mega-Engineering changed at all? I really don't want to have to wait forever to repair this ringworld.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

Anyone know offhand if the weights for Mega-Engineering changed at all? I really don't want to have to wait forever to repair this ringworld.

having a ruined ringworld in your territory ups the weights (and that was true in 1.5), but you will be waiting forever anyway because level 5 generators (Zero-Point I think?) are a prereq

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I had a colony get occupied by Titanic Life. Drove over there and blew up the spaceport (why do giant animals gain control of my spaceport?) but my fleet wouldn't bombard the fortifications, they just sat there in orbit being useless.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Korgan posted:

Ruined Dyson Sphere to the north, ruined sentry array to the south, ruined science nexus to the west, then to the southeast near the Enigmatic Fortress, those two hostile markings are for the Ether Drake and the Stellarite Devourer.

What is happening in this part of the galaxy god drat
Ancients made monsters, monsters ate ancients :ms:

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had a colony get occupied by Titanic Life. Drove over there and blew up the spaceport (why do giant animals gain control of my spaceport?) but my fleet wouldn't bombard the fortifications, they just sat there in orbit being useless.
They're hitting your ships with it :ms:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

the fortifications don't matter for titanic life any more, just send in the troops

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I edited my user_empire_designs.txt file to add in some races people had made and now nothing is showing up in game. Deleting the new entries still shows nothing. There go the handful of empires I made myself (well, I guess I can just slowly remake them by hand).

Did I do something wrong? IS there an easy way to add people's empires from a pastebin without slowly manually entering poo poo?

[edit] Figured it out. Apparently you can't use just any text editor to edit the .txt files, you have to use ones that won't mess with encoding or something like that. Notepad++ worked.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 10, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Splicer posted:

They're hitting your ships with it :ms:

Mega shark v giant octopus 3 is out?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
it would be cool if there was an event that could fire where a rogue scientist accidentally transferred intelligence into the titanic life and it turned into some super loving strong spacefaring race

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
always build 4-5 defensive armies before researching (or eating) the titanic beasts, if you don't already have an invasion army built and handy. no sense risking the headaches.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, I lost a gas giant cruiser to my own spaceport 15 years into the game. Very embarrassing. :saddowns:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
question: how do i generate a lot of influence, that's where i keep running into shortfalls especially when i wanna build habitats and poo poo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Legs Benedict posted:

question: how do i generate a lot of influence, that's where i keep running into shortfalls especially when i wanna build habitats and poo poo

be a democracy

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Cease to Hope posted:

be a democracy

oh god drat it

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The only other real source is factions, so try to keep them happy. Hopefully you're not a hive mind!

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Hive mind question, if I'm a devouring swarm does that auto eat other non-devouring swarm hive mind pops, or do I absorb the xeno hive mind pops?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

misguided rage posted:

The only other real source is factions, so try to keep them happy. Hopefully you're not a hive mind!

I just got a Xenophile-faction which is deeply unhappy because there are no aliens around I can not enslave. Now these chucklefucks sit there on my planets mewling about how evil we are because we haven't met aliens yet we could make free. Apparently I need (free) alien pops in my empire to lose this weird -20% penalty.

"OK guys, we get it, you want to bring freedom to aliens, but could you please wait until we actually make first contact?" :argh: -Our government.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Legs Benedict posted:

oh god drat it

Also enlightening primitives gives a small amount of influence income while they remain a protectorate.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
drat, the increased anomalies mod isn't updated.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Legs Benedict posted:

Carefully chosen rivalries can net you another +1/+2 easily.

Defensive pacts cost 1 influence a month, don't go overboard.

Dismantle unused frontier outposts.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Also the Expansion tree gives big discounts for new colonies and outposts, as well as reducing outpost influence maintenance. It's a strong opener for all playstyles.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Workin' on a thing...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there any way to mod in new basic resources, like energy or food?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else notice the lack of wars since 1.6? I have not seen any AI declaring wars, and all my war invites are "their forces are not built up enough" refusals.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

KingLemming posted:

Workin' on a thing...

That's pretty sweet. I can't wait to abuse clone slaves.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Anyone else notice the lack of wars since 1.6? I have not seen any AI declaring wars, and all my war invites are "their forces are not built up enough" refusals.

Hmmm... I might have to play my first 1.6 game on hard difficulty / normal aggression than hard difficulty / low aggression.

Late game I'm fine for hard, but no matter what my navy size is early game I'm always getting rolled by fleets 2k higher than me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Demiurge4 posted:

That's pretty sweet. I can't wait to abuse clone slaves.

Screw that, I want The Horatio. :v:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I've just got this on the humble monthly bundle, are there any specific DLC/mods I should be using or is vanilla fine?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Weavered posted:

I've just got this on the humble monthly bundle, are there any specific DLC/mods I should be using or is vanilla fine?

I'm in the same boat as you. I bumbled around a bit in Vanilla to figure out the basic systems over the weekend, and it was totally fine and engaging. I did buy Utopia after that patch landed yesterday, though, because I wanted to get current.

edit: a more sensible person than me would have waited a month for the Steam Summer Sale to buy Utopia, probably :v:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Weavered posted:

I'd try Vanilla first and then come back and ask that. The DLC adds a lot of fun content, but it's not essential to enjoy the game. The autobuild/autoimprove mod cuts out a lot of tedium and Stellar Expansion adds some neat research choices, but it's better to get a feel of the base game before tweaking it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PittTheElder posted:

How exactly is the War in Heaven supposedly broken?

People have covered some of the problems like them not actually fighting, but there's actually a lot of ways:

If an invasion happens during the War In Heaven, another Empire will wake up and... declare war on you while ignoring the invasion. And that's actually really likely to happen since the War in Heaven triggers the unbidden pretty effectively.
A lot of the triggers and AI behaviours seem to straight up just stop working.
It makes vassal and ally-heavy play styles impossible since it dissolves all associations when it starts.
If you try to join the unaligned league when it starts, but don't have the tradition, it will completely break federations forever as far as I can tell. Everyone will leave you alone, but you'll get constantly pestered by people to let you join the federation that does not exist. If you ever research the tech, even if the war in heaven is over, every FE in the galaxy will declare war on you and join together to try and curbstomp you.
You can't "complete" the War in Heaven until you kill all but one fallen empires on the map, even the ones that aren't involved.
Everyone basically ignores everyone but you.

Theres, like... other stuff that's broken with it too.

I don't think I've ever had one work.

Legs Benedict posted:

Keep pets and beat them up every once in a while for a nice instant 100 influence boost and the constant rivalry boost.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Weavered posted:

Get the mod that lets science ships auto-survey from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

These are the only mods I have enabled and I'm still not getting achievements. I terraformed plenty of planets last night and still haven't gotten that achievement. Now granted, achievements are dumb and useless but I still want them. My checksum appears to match, based on the title screen and trying to find multiplayer games. The 1080p overhaul page says its compatible, and at least one of the Tiny mods says it is and they're all from the same author.

C'mon, Wiz.

• Locked thread