Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How is Rev these days?
It's a class I should love but I never clicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's at least still fun and unique as far as MMO classes go. Being able to keep 12+ might on your buds at all times is real nice for open world group stuff and the weapons are all at least functional and unique. Except staff, which feels lame.

Speaking of revenant, Rytlock still hasn't said much about why and how he got turned into a revenant right? Like he was just sucked into the mists and came out with special powers he knew all about?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

where the red fern gropes posted:

problems like not going fast all the time are why i play rev btw

Same but thief. I'm completely ruined on my necro because i can just teleport so many times with shortbow, steal, and shadowstep as a daredevil and move my elite DD trait to get infinite on-demand swiftness.

Necro does feel real cool to play but having the war horn speed ability put you in combat when you walk past enemies suuuucks

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's why you play Reaper and not care about speed.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

jokes posted:

It's at least still fun and unique as far as MMO classes go. Being able to keep 12+ might on your buds at all times is real nice for open world group stuff and the weapons are all at least functional and unique. Except staff, which feels lame.

Speaking of revenant, Rytlock still hasn't said much about why and how he got turned into a revenant right? Like he was just sucked into the mists and came out with special powers he knew all about?

I have actually been having fun with staff/hammer. Would you mind sharing what build you use? I do feel like my Rev isn't quite up to par.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

That's why you play Reaper and not care about speed.

yeah i was gonna add that to my above post but forgot. you're a walking army as reaper, it's a different kind of fun but still equally good

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004

jokes posted:

No but it is going to be something stupid like he met Kormir she showed him the truth about the relationship between the gods and dragons, and because a powered up God will blind you that is why he is blind.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guide my supple hand through getting Pact Commander mastery.
Is it going to take a million years like gliding did?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
It went really fast for me. Just doing world bosses and event chains (use some xp boost foods and items!) made it fly by.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh right, world boss chains are a thing.
Does the auto-loot function open chests both on the field and the wobble reward ones?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Fractals dump tons of xp on you for all your Central masteries.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Oh right, world boss chains are a thing.
Does the auto-loot function open chests both on the field and the wobble reward ones?

Only chests on the field (including big world boss chests and such), and it has an insane range. Watch for your inventory filling up because it stops working then. You still need to click your wobble chests manually.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm just going to leave this here:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Fries/status/862189326569844736

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Inzombiac posted:

How is Rev these days?
It's a class I should love but I never clicked.

I have played all classes to 80 and elite spec (im not much of a grinder so this took a surprisingly short amount of time) and revenant was hella fun to level.
It is by far the least fun class to play in level 80 content though. I don't know what it is about it but it was completly unenjoyable.

Expansion talk: i hope they add more sources for legendary armor token things. I wouldn't mind having legendary armor since it can swap the stats on the fly, perfect for someone like me who can't decide on what class or spec to play. Also i actually think that legendary medium armor looks cool.
I don't really understand why you HAVE to raid to get the tokens. Everything else in the game, legendary weapons included, is entirely a solo effort and obtainable casually, but for legendary armor you need to be a gigantic tryhard and grind raids for literally 12 weeks.

I'll probably not get the expansion (and consequently not play this game again) if they don't change this. Not because i am salty about not getting legendary armor, but because gating certain features behind raids is a lovely thing to do in "the most casual MMO" and i don't want to support a precedence of making features unavailable for certain parts of the player base.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 10, 2017

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Adding alternate sources of legendary insights wouldnt really help as much without an altenate collection to unlock the skins themselves that doesn't require raid completion

But Rata Sum is right there on the map???

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I have played all classes to 80 and elite spec (im not much of a grinder so this took a surprisingly short amount of time) and revenant was hella fun to level.
It is by far the least fun class to play in level 80 content though. I don't know what it is about it but it was completly unenjoyable.

i find it fun because open world enemies are super weak so being able to kill them very fast is important

Ineptitude posted:

Expansion talk: i hope they add more sources for legendary armor token things. I wouldn't mind having legendary armor since it can swap the stats on the fly, perfect for someone like me who can't decide on what class or spec to play. Also i actually think that legendary medium armor looks cool.
I don't really understand why you HAVE to raid to get the tokens. Everything else in the game, legendary weapons included, is entirely a solo effort and obtainable casually, but for legendary armor you need to be a gigantic tryhard and grind raids for literally 12 weeks.

I'll probably not get the expansion (and consequently not play this game again) if they don't change this. Not because i am salty about not getting legendary armor, but because gating certain features behind raids is a lovely thing to do in "the most casual MMO" and i don't want to support a precedence of making features unavailable for certain parts of the player base.

hopefully they take their heads out of their asses and implement a way to obtain it outside raids

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FlyTB20C posted:

I have actually been having fun with staff/hammer. Would you mind sharing what build you use? I do feel like my Rev isn't quite up to par.

Honestly, when I play rev I use berserker hammer and sword/shield as Herald, I don't think I really maintain a certain rev build. Staff always felt very wet noodle to me. Sword 2 and sword 3 does some great damage and with a shield has VERY good survivability. Sword 2 heals you, Sword 3 has auto-dodge for like 2 seconds, shield 4 does something, I think heal, and shield 5 blocks and heals.

Hammer is just there so I can plink away at dudes with ghost hammers from way far away.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is this some sort of Mystic Toilet reference?

Zommoros is armed to the teeth with vials of blood, bottles of wine, and a truly horrifying case of hepatitis.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sounds about right.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bieeardo posted:

Is this some sort of Mystic Toilet reference?

Zommoros is armed to the teeth with vials of blood, bottles of wine, and a truly horrifying case of hepatitis.

pretty sure it's a reference to jk rowling saying the same thing about harry potter

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
There's a GW2 official art stream going on right now if anyone's interested.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Art stream is pretty cool, thanks for sharing it. Also, I want to do art now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I meshed some Soldier and Zerker gear together on my Scrapper. It doesn't feel like I lost a ton of killing power but I do feel way more survivable.
It also turns out that I had level 60 Carrion Rare rings instead of something good.
I swear I'm half asleep when I review my inventory.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If I haven't played in a couple of years, what should I read or do to get caught up? To be honest I don't remember what my class, level, or anything else was so should I just roll a new character? I'm bored of WoW right now and am trying out new MMOs.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Metabuilds is pretty comprehensive about how to play whatever class and spec well. If you plan to level a fresh 80, which is what I did like 3 months ago, just use whatever welcome back booster you want.

You do not need to buy the expansion until you get to 80.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Metabuilds is pretty comprehensive about how to play whatever class and spec well. If you plan to level a fresh 80, which is what I did like 3 months ago, just use whatever welcome back booster you want.

You do not need to buy the expansion until you get to 80.

What's a welcome back booster?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno, I came back to my pre-order account with a bunch of bouncing chests and mail. I dropped out having a level 79 2 months after launch. I remember so little of that time other than cooking was oddly sensible while having a mango pie karma to cash exploit. Get rich or pie trying. So when I loaded up my account it felt like I had just won a lovely storage unit auction. I found linen level crafting components, and dry ingredients that, while technically still good, I'm probably not gonna touch.

There were a lot of boosters in my bank for some reason. I may have been amassing them in a dragon like hoard, or they just dropped like candy back then. Who knows, use em.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 11, 2017

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Yeah, I'd say just start playing again, find a class that fits what you like to play, and start running around. The expansion content doesnt really start until max level anyways, so you won't miss anything playing just the core game.

Remember, there is less strict questing like in WoW, I tend to run around doing events and hearts and exploring in equal parts.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

They also unlocked the first waypoint in all the starting zones automatically, so if you play a norn and get bored of snow you can go to Metrica Province and run around pretending you're trampling over all the tiny ratgoblins and laughing maniacally

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Play the core game first, then the ls3. HoT only becomes bearable after you have a bunch of mastery unlocks. Even then it's not great. When I recently came back to the game I started by trying to do the HoT content in order and nearly quit again. Now that I have all the gliding/movement abilities Verdant Brink isn't bad, but Tangled Depths needs to be removed from the game.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Erdricks posted:

Now that I have all the gliding/movement abilities Verdant Brink isn't bad, but Tangled Depths needs to be removed from the game.

Yeah tangled depths is rough, the map screen even with many layers just isn't made for that kind of twisting cavern crap. I hear it's fun once you've got routes memorized but ughh

Ley line crystals are the last thing i need for a machined staff collection too, close to having Bo completed so i guess i need to learn how to do chak gerant :negative:

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Erdricks posted:

Play the core game first, then the ls3. HoT only becomes bearable after you have a bunch of mastery unlocks. Even then it's not great. When I recently came back to the game I started by trying to do the HoT content in order and nearly quit again. Now that I have all the gliding/movement abilities Verdant Brink isn't bad, but Tangled Depths needs to be removed from the game.

I've owned HoT since release and just learned about a week ago there is an entire underwater portion to TD. Shows how little time I try to spend there :eng99:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

KirbyKhan posted:

I dunno, I came back to my pre-order account with a bunch of bouncing chests and mail. I dropped out having a level 79 2 months after launch. I remember so little of that time other than cooking was oddly sensible while having a mango pie karma to cash exploit. Get rich or pie trying. So when I loaded up my account it felt like I had just won a lovely storage unit auction. I found linen level crafting components, and dry ingredients that, while technically still good, I'm probably not gonna touch.

There were a lot of boosters in my bank for some reason. I may have been amassing them in a dragon like hoard, or they just dropped like candy back then. Who knows, use em.

Those are probably birthday boosters. You get a little bonus every year on your characters birthday.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
One of the biggest drawbacks of TD is that people tend to get funneled into the DoTa lanes because they're big and obvious but are generally uninteresting and full of trash mobs. Really though TD has some of the most unique and beautiful areas of the game, if you can actually find them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Biggest issue with TD is that the layout is so confusing. When you leave the first outpost, you'll more than likely end up in various underground passages filled with deadly mushrooms and jam-packed with other monsters, hopelessly lost trying to find your way to Teku Nuhoch. It should've been easier to make it to a central hub like TN where you can use the wallows to travel all over the map.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If it wasn't for Johnny Madhouse I never would have survived TD a second time so I love him 4ever for that

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If it wasn't for Johnny Madhouse I never would have survived TD a second time so I love him 4ever for that

I'm surprised TD survived you for there to have been a second time.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

I'm surprised TD survived you for there to have been a second time.

It was called Tangled Heights before he sat on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I created the tunnels/lanes when I smelled a cheeseburger underground and had to get there ASAP, okay???

• Locked thread