Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
Hate it when I forget to charge my Bluetooth ear buds and I'm forced to listen to some assholes music who thinks it's sweet to bring in his Bluetooth portable speakers and subject everyone... drat I feel old af now complaining about younger generations music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
theres a new dad at my gym who does jump rope in the free weight area

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Did he hand out cigars or something?

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Dum Cumpster posted:

Did he hand out cigars or something?
Its a boy!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
shoulder mostly better today. a few times I caught a tiny bit of soreness, dull pain at the top, around where the pec minor attaches(actually, maybe more like where the collar bone goes right above the front delt), and still got an occasional small painless click around my AC joint(roughly that area) at times. I still can't replicate it no matter what I do, it just happened randomly while I was working tonight. Went to the gym and slowly eased into some weights to see what happened. OHP felt good, although I stayed about 15 lbs under my 5 rep max. Side lateral raises felt good. Even though this really doesn't feel like any kind of impingement deal, I still decided to skip barbell bench press, did 2 sets of light dumbell press though. Added another set of lat pull-down to the usual 3 sets, also did some horizontal cable rows as well as my usual face pulls. I figure adding more pulling won't hurt, probably needed it anyway. Overall shoulder has felt 100% fine since coming home from the gym.

Anything I should do for my rear delts, other than the face pulls? Or will just extra pulling volume in general help them catch up to where they need?

e: it almost seems similar to weightlifter's shoulder, but it didn't hurt in the gym at all earlier, and felt better after. Perhaps when I slept on it wrong that night, it just aggravated the area in the same way? It's not tender to actually touch and massage on it either so who knows. I'll go easy until I'm sure it's gone for good. Wonder what the next injury will be.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 7, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

5/3/1 heavy week OHP suuuuuucks

And I can't even gorge on protein to make it feel better.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Chinatown posted:

theres a new dad at my gym who does jump rope in the free weight area

still better than doing the jump rope motion with no rope between sets

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

shoulder mostly better today. a few times I caught a tiny bit of soreness, dull pain at the top, around where the pec minor attaches(actually, maybe more like where the collar bone goes right above the front delt), and still got an occasional small painless click around my AC joint(roughly that area) at times. I still can't replicate it no matter what I do, it just happened randomly while I was working tonight. Went to the gym and slowly eased into some weights to see what happened. OHP felt good, although I stayed about 15 lbs under my 5 rep max. Side lateral raises felt good. Even though this really doesn't feel like any kind of impingement deal, I still decided to skip barbell bench press, did 2 sets of light dumbell press though. Added another set of lat pull-down to the usual 3 sets, also did some horizontal cable rows as well as my usual face pulls. I figure adding more pulling won't hurt, probably needed it anyway. Overall shoulder has felt 100% fine since coming home from the gym.

Anything I should do for my rear delts, other than the face pulls? Or will just extra pulling volume in general help them catch up to where they need?

e: it almost seems similar to weightlifter's shoulder, but it didn't hurt in the gym at all earlier, and felt better after. Perhaps when I slept on it wrong that night, it just aggravated the area in the same way? It's not tender to actually touch and massage on it either so who knows. I'll go easy until I'm sure it's gone for good. Wonder what the next injury will be.

try some barbell rear delt rows they rock and out of all rear delt exercises i do they feel the most natural

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Is there a reason you have a heavy week instead of just doing a few heavy sets and then regular sets in the same workout

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
he said he's doing 5/3/1 right there in the post, yo

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

he said 5 3 1 heavy "week" which made it sound like he had a heavy week and a normal week

im not familiar with powerlifter programs

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think that's how it works. I could be mistaken because I haven't looking much into 5/3/1 myself, but I know it goes in waves with increasing intensity each week. It's pretty well regarded, so that's the answer to your question at least, that's how the program is structured.

e: if you're curious https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170225

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 8, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
5/3/1 is three weeks of lifting where each week is more weight and fewer reps than the last. Then after the cycle is done you up all your weights by 5-10 pounds and do it again.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

What if you can't up the weight

If I added 10 pounds to my bench I think I'd fail it

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Then congratulations you are now strong enough and never need to lift again!

Basically it looks something like this:

Week 1 squat 265x5 300x5 340x5
Week 2 squat 280x3 320x3 355x3
Week 3 squat 300x5 340x3 375x1

Next cycle:

Week 1 squat 270x5 305x5 345x5
Week 2 squat 285x3 325x3 360x3
Week 3 squat 305x5 345x3 380x1

You have 3 weeks to work your way up to your new max so hopefully you've gained some strength over the past month of lifting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fartbox posted:

What if you can't up the weight

If I added 10 pounds to my bench I think I'd fail it

Wendler's program tells you to start at 90% of your (conservative) max, increase as slowly as possible and do a deload week every cycle.

You're supposed to keep doing +3/4/5 reps on your highest intensity days for ages, not catching up with your actual max for as long as possible.

Goons were bragging about doing sets of 1+12 when it was first popular here.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Safety squats are dumb as poo poo. Why is there a big dumb pad on It? Wrt am I supposed to do with my arms?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Booties posted:

Safety squats are dumb as poo poo. Why is there a big dumb pad on It? Wrt am I supposed to do with my arms?
Hold the bar from the front.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTmR8Sxg7le/

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Anyone itt done steroids? Are they worth it? I'm surprised by how cheap a cycle is

I'm currently pretty lean so I'm considering them for the next bulk after summer

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792970&pagenumber=44&perpage=40

This thread might be helpful.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Nice, i knew goons would not disappoint when it came to drugs

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Actually I take that back

Apart from very few exceptions almost all goons posted in that thread have physiques you could easily get naturally without pumping poo poo through your veins that'll make you bald

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
gently caress it, most of us are already going bald.

Today i saw a guy doing dips full body porpoises.
Almost physically loled.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Squat two reps of 380. Please eat a salami in my name.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
yeah rip

:v::dong:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bamhand posted:

Squat two reps of 380. Please eat a salami in my name.

Don't mind if I do

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Fartbox posted:

Actually I take that back

Apart from very few exceptions almost all goons posted in that thread have physiques you could easily get naturally without pumping poo poo through your veins that'll make you bald

like maybe 5 people posted pics in there, maybe u can be the 6th

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Carmant posted:

My legs are huge like my dick. Im going to gently caress

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fallows posted:

like maybe 5 people posted pics in there, maybe u can be the 6th
And most of them have an enhanced look. I don't mean that in a judgmental way either. I actively read the thread and have read a lot about PEDs and can't use them myself for medical reasons.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Khorne posted:

And most of them have an enhanced look. I don't mean that in a judgmental way either. I actively read the thread and have read a lot about PEDs and can't use them myself for medical reasons.

I wish I looked enhanced. I'm just soft and blurry.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm more tempted to take roids for the recovery benefits than any physique benefits. That said, I've cut my drinking down to only one or two beers a night now, and I *think* general inflammation in all of my crappy parts of my body has gone down. At least my knee hasn't bothered me in a while now. Shoulder still has some tender areas around where the front and side delt meet on the outside, and weirdly enough it happens when I externally rotate. Pushing during internal rotation feels fine, so gently caress if I know. Just waiting a few days to see if it goes away.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

I wish I looked enhanced. I'm just soft and blurry.
My fat is shaped like muscles now because there's some underneath, probably.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm more tempted to take roids for the recovery benefits than any physique benefits. That said, I've cut my drinking down to only one or two beers a night now, and I *think* general inflammation in all of my crappy parts of my body has gone down. At least my knee hasn't bothered me in a while now. Shoulder still has some tender areas around where the front and side delt meet on the outside, and weirdly enough it happens when I externally rotate. Pushing during internal rotation feels fine, so gently caress if I know. Just waiting a few days to see if it goes away.

Try to get that drinking down to one or two ragers a week instead. You want intensity rather than frequency.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hrm, I could get some 90% abv everclear to really up the intensity. But what about volume?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Time spent processing alcohol is time your body isn't using to repair and improve itself, so ideally you want to be on the floor puking asap.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Khorne posted:

Almost none of them look enhanced, apart from the acne and bloated faces

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
what's the point of drinking only one or two beers? if you're used to drinking a lot then you're not going to get much effect from it, right? might as well not drink those beers at all

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Try to get that drinking down to one or two ragers a week instead. You want intensity rather than frequency.

Going "down" to 1-2 beers a night means that you were/are an alcoholic. Congrats on cutting back tho Drunk Driver Dad, I guess.

Also just that we are clear, I'm not opposed to drinking. Just that the ammount and frequency should be on the lower end.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
If he stops drinking he'd be sober driver dad, which is kind of lame :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Khorne posted:

Nah I was disagreeing with the dude i quoted, everyone in that thread looks great