Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm playing through P4 golden a second time right now and thinking about maybe picking up P3P after I'm done. Having never played P3 before is it a decent port? Also is it right that P3P doesn't include the extra stuff from FES?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm playing through P4 golden a second time right now and thinking about maybe picking up P3P after I'm done. Having never played P3 before is it a decent port? Also is it right that P3P doesn't include the extra stuff from FES?

Yes and No. P3 FES came with an extra chapter that is after the game ends but is not included in P3P. But I believe all the other extra's in the main game are in the game and P3P expands on that with the option to give direct commands and the choice of a female MC

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

P3P is fine, you miss out on some of the little interactions from not seeing the sprites actually act it out, but every main gist is there, and you get FeMC, which is more than worth it in return.

You also miss out on The Answer, but that's not the biggest loss and you can read up all the important plot points online anyway.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The biggest cost you're paying by playing P3P over P3 is that there's no more running around in town or school; moving around and interacting outside dungeons is all menus. I'd personally consider the portable version better in almost all other ways, but it takes a big hit from that.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You also miss out on The Answer, but that's not the biggest loss and you can read up all the important plot points online anyway.

If you really want to play The Answer (you don't) you can always get both versions, play the main game on PSP and The Answer on PS2.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 10, 2017

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This was yet another moment in my life that reminded me that the internet has ruined my brain

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

P3P is fine, you miss out on some of the little interactions from not seeing the sprites actually act it out, but every main gist is there, and you get FeMC, which is more than worth it in return.

I'd say you miss out on a fair bit of the storytelling, just because some of the big moments are predicated on watching the polygon models interact instead of just 2D portraits, but mechanically it's a much better version.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I've already read a summary of The Answer so I can live without it, and female MC is one of the main reasons I want to try out P3P.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Answer is utter garbage so it's no huge loss by any definition.

P3P definitely loses out from not having a 3D overworld or navigation outside of Tartarus but everything else is better than FES, especially because of FeMC and direct commands in the combat system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Answer is utter garbage so it's no huge loss by any definition.

P3P definitely loses out from not having a 3D overworld or navigation outside of Tartarus but everything else is better than FES, especially because of FeMC and direct commands in the combat system.

Seriously, who the hell thought removing the Compendium was a good idea? :psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anything that implies Yukari is my waifu and not in the trash can is rubbish. Not even Heartful Cry saves it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Replacing the animated cutscenes and also everything outside of Tartarus with Visual Novel-style character portraits and dialogue boxes against static backdrops is a pretty severe hit to the presentation, and the addition of direct commands for all party members make the game humongously easier than FES since the rest of the game hasn't been rebalanced around it, but FeMC is extremely cute :shrug:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The Male MC route and Female MC route have actual, proper differences, so it feels fresh. For starters, they have some different social links. And different stat requirements for the social links. It doesn't end there.

It's actually pretty good.

I spent a lot of my time playing video games in the arcade, in game. To raise my stats of course. Naturally, playing video games improves your social skills :P

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

NBD: Cats do that all the time.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Walrus Pete posted:

This was yet another moment in my life that reminded me that the internet has ruined my brain

I couldn't believe that Atlus goatsied us all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly, I'd have a hard time picking between P3 FES and P3P. They each have pros and cons.

FES:
  • Anime scenes for important stuff and seeing character models actually doing things during cutscenes.
  • You can run around town freely and explore the actual spaces, but this also has a downside (it takes more time to get anywhere and do anything).
  • Like the original Persona 3, you can't control party members aside from the MC.
  • Social links are... kinda rough. Only female party members have social links and you can't max them without romancing them.
P3P:
  • You can pick the female main character, who has rewritten and much better Social Links (and links with all the party members, including the dog!). Note that you don't get this benefit if you pick the male main character.
  • You can control the whole party in combat, like in Persona 4 and 5.
  • Skill cards exist to make skill inheritance easier to work with.
  • You don't see cutscenes acted out, just visual novel-style talking heads, and there are no anime scenes (sometimes they just use still images).
My gut says that P3P is maybe slightly better, if only for the better Social Links the female main character gets. If you know you want to play the male main character, or if you care more about the main story than Social Links (which is totally fair, especially in Persona 3), then I'd say go with FES.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The character models in P3 are hardly any masterpiece of animation to begin with, though. I admit it's been a long time since I played P3P, but I always thought the visual novel presentation and narration did a good job of carrying the scenes. Of course, that could just be because I played a lot of VNs in the past.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think just seeing things acted out makes the scenes a little more impactful and/or memorable, even when the models doing so aren't all that detailed or well-animated. Even the few times they do act something out in P3P, it lacks a lot of the drama, like the MC's Persona awakening. I haven't played all the way through P3P though so maybe I'd get used to the VN presentation just fine, and the gameplay and female MC social links are so much better that I still think it's the slightly better option.

It is a lot easier than P3/FES, though, which could be a good or bad thing depending.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You know what Persona 5 does really well. The Persona awakenings.

Makoto's was the best one imo. Shame we didn't get to see Haru's awakening

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Sefal posted:

Yusuke's was really good as well. Him dragging his fingers along the ground until they bled was some messed up stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sefal posted:

Yeah, those are good as hell. After not really being a thing in Persona 3 and being the quiet resolution of plot arcs in Persona 4, the awakenings being these huge, dramatic events in Persona 5 owns hard. Agreed on which the best one is, too, though Yusuke's gives her a run for her money.

The experience just seems so painful and cathartic this time, with everyone's Persona chastising them for denying themselves, then rivers of blood and a Persona exploding out of their body in a torrent of blue flame. Add to that the "Will Power" opening guitar riff and it's about as rad as it can get.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 10, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sefal posted:

You get to see the one that matters and it's up there for the best. It's just that it's hard to top Personabike

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's so much that's weird about Haru's introduction, honestly.

Like, she has a pseudo-Persona? What's up with that? I don't think we've ever seen something like that in the series before, someone basically halfway being awakened but not quite. I'm not too sure why they went that route with her instead of just having her be fully awakened when she's introduced. Maybe just so that we get some sort of dramatic Persona scene for her? Or so that it's obvious from the start that she's not the Black Mask, despite her black mask, because she clearly can't fight yet?

Side question: do all of the Phantom Thieves' voice actors also voice their Personas? It sounds like it and also makes sense, but I'm not sure if that's always true. I know Xander Mobus also did Arsene's voice, at least, and Captain Kidd definitely sounds like Max Mittelman.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Harrow posted:

Side question: do all of the Phantom Thieves' voice actors also voice their Personas? It sounds like it and also makes sense, but I'm not sure if that's always true. I know Xander Mobus also did Arsene's voice, at least, and Captain Kidd definitely sounds like Max Mittelman.

I think they do, yeah. It makes sense since the Personas are the characters themselves, to a degree.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Crossed the finish line at around 100 hours. Definitely did not see things shaking out the way they did after the 7th Palace, but I really enjoyed the fact that the ultimate Persona you summon to kill the Big Bad essentially :commissar:'s it. I mean GODDAMN, you loving blam a god.

Really, really well done. It's very clear that there's time built into the game for an expansion. I'm looking forward to a second playthrough, but I might give myself a few days to decompress and get myself set for a second run.

It bears mentioning that in this modern age of gaming where it's really easy to grab a shitload of games on the cheap, I rarely finish anything all the way through, let alone around a month after purchase, let alone after 100 hours. Persona 5 was gripping all the way through from beginning to end in a way that even Persona 4 wasn't. Hell, I had Persona 4 in college when I had a lot more free time and I still didn't put in the effort to get all the way through.

I really loved all of the social links in this game, and even the weaker ones still had their moments. Of the ones I saw all the way through, Temperance is the best S.Link with good drama and high stakes, but Hermit and Hierophant were also awesome. If you asked me which ones I thought were weak, I thought most of the party S.Links were pretty meh with the exception of Yusuke's, which is hilarious (and of course, the aforementioned Futaba/Hermit). Makoto really needs to learn to laugh when you say 'Beep boop'.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

say 'beep boop' again. Say 'beep boop' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say beep boop one more goddamn time

Real talk though, her reaction to that is one of those moments in real life where if she reacted the way she does, you'd go from "hey maybe this could be a little something" to "yeah, gently caress that" in no time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I think they do, yeah. It makes sense since the Personas are the characters themselves, to a degree.

Yeah, it's a nice touch. I kinda wish we got to hear the Personas talk more often, actually. At least we get to hear from Arsene a couple times.

LuiCypher posted:

I really loved all of the social links in this game, and even the weaker ones still had their moments. Of the ones I saw all the way through, Temperance is the best S.Link with good drama and high stakes, but Hermit and Hierophant were also awesome. If you asked me which ones I thought were weak, I thought most of the party S.Links were pretty meh with the exception of Yusuke's, which is hilarious (and of course, the aforementioned Futaba/Hermit). Makoto really needs to learn to laugh when you say 'Beep boop'.

I've said it before, but party social links have to be really tough to write. It's sort of expected that a social link will show some sort of growth for the character, but because party members are also major story characters, they need to show some sort of character development over the course of the main story, too. So the social link and main story character development can't really step on each others' toes, and both have to be meaningful. Persona 5 erred on the side of the main story character development being more meaningful for most characters (except Yusuke, I think, which is probably why his social link is one of the better party member ones).

I'm not sure what the solution is because I like having party member social links, so I wouldn't want them to go away or all become automatic like Morgana's or anything like that.

I was also really impressed by all the social links in this one. There wasn't a truly weak one at all, and I think Temperance, Hierophant, and Hanged Man are maybe the best ones in the series so far. And Hermit, especially because it gives Futaba an opportunity to deliver the sickest burn ever on Mishima.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The Sun was my favourite.

Especially the last few ones.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

There's so much that's weird about Haru's introduction, honestly.

Like, she has a pseudo-Persona? What's up with that? I don't think we've ever seen something like that in the series before, someone basically halfway being awakened but not quite. I'm not too sure why they went that route with her instead of just having her be fully awakened when she's introduced. Maybe just so that we get some sort of dramatic Persona scene for her? Or so that it's obvious from the start that she's not the Black Mask, despite her black mask, because she clearly can't fight yet?

Persona 3 sort of touched on it where Strega needed experiential drugs to summon their Personas and werent able to be summoned too well. The girl Junpei liked would instantly start getting strangled by her Persona whenever she summoned hers. I feel like there's another instance because that concept of Haru's persona not being solidified yet wasn't weird to me

And yes all the characters voice their Persona

I really wish the Personas talked more cause Arsene's intro and Carmed telling Ann to not to forgive Kamoshida was so loving cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real talk though, her reaction to that is one of those moments in real life where if she reacted the way she does, you'd go from "hey maybe this could be a little something" to "yeah, gently caress that" in no time.

Her reaction to it could be read a couple ways, but I think the "awwww" voice clip that plays implies that she's mildly annoyed but not, like, really angry.

I had to look it up, though, because I didn't have the heart to pick that in my actual playthrough :v:

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The Sun was my favourite.

Especially the last few ones.

Oh yeah, Sun is great, too. I think it takes a bit to get off the ground but the last half of it is really awesome.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've seen mentions of getting the "true" ending.

Is there a way to post the criteria for the true ending without major spoilers? Is it based on s-links?

I hope it's not "get everyone to X level", because I didn't do much with Devil, Hanged Man, or Tower, and there's not enough time left to get them very high.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Goddamn loving persona meme videos on youtube just filled my recommended videos with spoilers that I tried to avoid looking at but now I'm pretty sure I know how the game is gonna play out. I just beat Palace 5 too, gently caress.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Useless Confidant perks aside, I sort of liked Ohya's plotline. It wasn't spectacular, but it was nice. And the payoff is worth it-- if you max her, it's implied that she tracks down the woman who Shido molested and pressured into testifying against you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there a way to post the criteria for the true ending without major spoilers? Is it based on s-links?

I hope it's not "get everyone to X level", because I didn't do much with Devil, Hanged Man, or Tower, and there's not enough time left to get them very high.

It's based on answers 2 and 3 of a specific conversation you have on 11/20. The conversation is obviously the deciding one when you're having it.

Don't grass on your friends to Sae

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

It has nothing to do with social links. It's very easy to get, because if you don't get it you'll immediately get a bad ending and get to try the scene that determines which ending you get again. It's not like Persona 4, where the true ending is kinda hidden.

What day are you on? If you're past 11/20, you're on the path to the true ending.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

WhiteHowler posted:

You will be asked a series of questions at a big story point and as long as you remember the themes of the game, you'll be fine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"True ending" is probably a misnomer for Persona 5. It really should just be "normal ending." There are two bad endings (not counting the bad endings where you run out of time on a Palace) and if you get either of them you just get to reload your save and try again, so they clearly aren't intended as actual endings like the normal ending in Persona 4 can be. "True ending" implies there's something you have to go out of your way to do, but in Persona 5 all you have to do is not get the bad endings.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Okay, thanks. I'm on 10/22, so not there yet.

I was afraid it was like Witcher 3, where you can get wildly different endings depending on decisions you made throughout an entire 60+ hour game. (I lucked out on that one and am pretty sure I got the "best" ending.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

With Witcher 3, there's a clear bad ending where you need to be a total arsehole when you clearly shouldn't be but the rest of the endings would be on the same ranking of "good ending".

Persona 5 is nothing like that at all though, true.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Okay, thanks. I'm on 10/22, so not there yet.

Really even if you get a bad ending, it's still something interesting to see and won't set you back very far, so if you happen to gently caress up and get a bad ending at least you get to see a cool scene before you try again. Most people make it to the normal/"true" ending without any guidance, though.

I definitely needed to be forewarned to get Persona 4's true ending, though. I honestly never would have delayed going home on the last day after visiting all my social links if I hadn't been told I should do that--I might figure it out now, but not like 8 years ago when I first played it. That said, I also thought that was pretty brilliant. There are just a couple hints on that last day that something is left unanswered, and you should keep reaching out to the truth, after all.

With Witcher 3, there's a clear bad ending where you need to be a total arsehole when you clearly shouldn't be but the rest of the endings would be on the same ranking of "good ending".

I think it's possible to get the bad ending in Witcher 3 without going out of your way to be terrible. There were at least two of the "this can lead to the bad ending" choices where I could see a reasonable person picking the "wrong" one without realizing it as a bad thing to do.

I ended up getting the best ending (in my opinion), though. Ciri and Geralt off on adventures as a monster hunting family is extremely :3:. I can see wanting Ciri to become Empress, but I'd sorta rather keep the family together, because if there's one thing Witcher 3 taught me, it's that taking care of those immediately around you is sometimes the best thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

Really even if you get a bad ending, it's still something interesting to see and won't set you back very far, so if you happen to gently caress up and get a bad ending at least you get to see a cool scene before you try again. Most people make it to the normal/"true" ending without any guidance, though.

I definitely needed to be forewarned to get Persona 4's true ending, though. I honestly never would have delayed going home on the last day after visiting all my social links if I hadn't been told I should do that.

I think it's possible to get the bad ending in Witcher 3 without going out of your way to be terrible. There were at least two of the "this can lead to the bad ending" choices where I could see a reasonable person picking the "wrong" one without realizing it as a bad thing to do.

I ended up getting the best ending (in my opinion), though. Ciri and Geralt off on adventures as a monster hunting family is extremely :3:. I can see wanting Ciri to become Empress, but I'd sorta rather keep the family together, because if there's one thing Witcher 3 taught me, it's that taking care of those immediately around you is sometimes the best thing you can do.

That's my favourite ending, but I'd argue that the bad ending of Witcher 3 is the actual best written ending because gently caress