Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

JawKnee posted:

right after they beat the Habs too

Exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm down with Sens/Oilers if it happens because Derick Brassard/Marc Methot getting a Cup would be cool and also the Oilers have been through an unreal dragging through the mud since 2006.

I'm still on the Capswagon until it derails, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, if you want a witty, one line epitaph for your team in the "HAHA THESE TEAMS SUUUUUUUUUCK" portion of the OP, let HK or me know.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
fire: vigneault

get rid of: staal, girardi, holden

leave unprotected: kreider

do not re-sign: glass

do re-sign: smith, clendening

do not sign (unless you can get a relatively cheap and not very long deal): shattenkirk

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ummm, Kreider probably still has a lot of value in a trade and that would be pretty dumb to leave him unprotected.

I will not be upset if Gorton explores trades with Stepan, Hayes, or Kreider this offseason and TBH won't miss any of them if they get the right return.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
When Brendan Smith was presenting himself to the seats behind the net on that second goal, I had a nice soft chuckle to myself, followed by a deep sigh, and then weeping softly into my hands

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

Ummm, Kreider probably still has a lot of value in a trade and that would be pretty dumb to leave him unprotected.

probably, but i hate him so much right now

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Teemu Pokemon posted:

When Brendan Smith was presenting himself to the seats behind the net on that second goal, I had a nice soft chuckle to myself, followed by a deep sigh, and then weeping softly into my hands

He was almost directly responsible for all 3 goals last night iirc. Personally I think he loving sucks but if he comes in for under 3 mil a year I guess I'm ok with it depending on term.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

a false posted:

probably, but i hate him so much right now

I legit hate Hayes more right now. Maybe even JT Miller.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i feel like miller must have been playing hurt or something. i still think he is good. hayes and kreider can gently caress off though, and if we had another reasonable option at center i'd say the same for stepan

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

He was almost directly responsible for all 3 goals last night iirc. Personally I think he loving sucks but if he comes in for under 3 mil a year I guess I'm ok with it depending on term.

50 point, 28 goal wingers don't come in under $3M.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

good thing brendan smith is neither a 50 point nor 28 goal scorer, nor a winger

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

:confused:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

My feelings are still to raw for an "I told you so"

Check back with me after Holland fucks the draft up when I'm filled with rage and need to take it out on a stranger

e: also lol if you don't think Holland is bringing Smith back for 4y16m

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 10, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Teemu Pokemon posted:

My feelings are still to raw for an "I told you so"

Check back with me after Holland fucks the draft up when I'm filled with rage and need to take it out on a stranger

An "I told you so" wouldn't bother me. I've been rather meh on Smith since the trade. He was pretty good against Montreal but a total train wreck in the second round. If he comes cheap then I'm all for him replacing one of the Wonder Twins provided one or both of them go.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
smith played well for us for the most part. i didn't see the game last night, thankfully, so i don't know what he did there but i think we've seen enough of him where it's more likely whatever he did in game 6 was an aberration than everything prior to that being an aberration. he was a good partner for skjei, although not quite as good as adam clendening, who i think is possibly dead

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah, for some reason I thought you were talking about Kreider. That makes a lot more sense.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

a false posted:

i think we've seen enough of him where it's more likely whatever he did in game 6 was an aberration than everything prior to that being an aberration.

Considering that the Ottawa series, and last night specifically, is more in line with how he played most of his career in Detroit, I'd say it's probably more likely that literally the opposite is true

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Ah, for some reason I thought you were talking about Kreider. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah he's locked up for another 2 years I think. I'm sick and tired of how he flashes potential and then disappears for 2 weeks.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah he's locked up for another 2 years I think. I'm sick and tired of how he flashes potential and then disappears for 2 weeks.

Isn't that like every 20-30 goal scorer?

Bad players are consistent because they never score, elite players are consistent because they score a lot and rarely have long periods of poor play, and pretty good players go hot and cold. Probably safe to say other 20-30 goal scorers do the same thing as Kreider but I haven't actually paid close attention.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

Bad players are consistent because they never score, really good players are consistently because they score a lot, and pretty good players go hot and cold.

Sure, but we didn't even get POWER UP PLAYOFF KREIDER this year. And he's not very good defensively. Zucc disappears a lot but at least he's creative with the puck and plays really well on the forecheck.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Matt Zerella posted:

You're gonna love Zibanejad then.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

You're gonna love Zibanejad then.

I already do and he was fine this year.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Mind_Taker posted:

Bad players are consistent because they never score, elite players are consistent because they score a lot and rarely have long periods of poor play, and pretty good players go hot and cold. Probably safe to say other 20-30 goal scorers do the same thing as Kreider but I haven't actually paid close attention.

the problem is that when kreider's not scoring he's not doing anything else either. he can't forecheck, he can't play defense, he has absolutely no creativity. he's a decent finisher if he's on a line with other players who are playing well, skates kind of fast (but strictly in straight lines), and that's it. zibanejad, by contrast, wasn't scoring in the playoffs this year but he was apparent every time he was on the ice

back to smith i'm not sure where people are suddenly getting the idea that he was bad for the entire ottawa series. i thought he was fine up until game 6 which, as i mentioned before, i have not seen

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Looking forward to NYR giving both Shattenkirk and Kovalchuk high dollar and long term deals this summer, and also re-upping Glass

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Yep.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
"Fire AV, trade everyone, somehow get Sidney Crosby and Patrick Kane and hire Mark Messier to lead them and the Hartford Wolf Pack to victory."

-Rangers fans

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

"Fire AV, trade everyone, somehow get Sidney Crosby and Patrick Kane and hire Mark Messier to lead them and the Hartford Wolf Pack to victory."

-Rangers fans

I mean, ok, but how many times are they going to trot this core out there and keep failing without a big change? I think JG made some good first steps last summer to changing things, but there's obviously a lot of work to be done. Personally, I think everything and anything outside of McD/Skjei should be on the table.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

a false posted:

fire: vigneault

This would be one of the stupidest mistakes the Rangers could possibly make. Dude consistently gets good performances out of whatever pile of trash he's given to work with.

I mean, what's your complaint, that he leans too hard on vets? Great, you're complaining about literally every NHL coach in the history of time. That he can't make adjustments on the fly during a playoff series? Yeah, also a problem with literally every coach ever. Making systemic changes takes a long time requires a fair amount of practice time, neither of which you get in the playoffs.

Put it this way: If the Rags fire Vigneault you'll be back in a year saying how big of a mistake it was, I virtually guarantee it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I don't want to fire AV, but I'd like to take away some of his toys like Staal, Girard, and Glass.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Keep AV but fire arniel, dump Staal Girardi and Holden, trade Stepan. Keep Hayes and Miller. Kreider I'm meh on, if you can get a stud defenseman for him/as part of a package sure why not

I think glass is perfectly fine, he just needs to be in the correct role (which is in the American Hockey League)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hard not to feel like the Rangers threw that series away. Sens did what they had to do to win those games but it's tough to watch a team blow three games in the final minutes, two of which they had multi goal leads in the 3rd period. But the Sens got the job done and the Rangers didn't, that's how you win in the playoffs.

And the Rangers problem was defense as we all knew it was but as I've been saying I think it's far more than just that half their defensemen are terrible, but the forwards blow way too many assignments and hang the defense and goaltender out to dry. On top of that Lundqvist just isn't what he used to be. He can still be good and with the right team could backstop them to a cup but the Rangers can't rely on him to cover up all their fuckups anymore. He's 35 and IMO his reflexes have taken a hit in the last year.

So...it's really on the GM and coaching staff to realistically evaluate this roster and their coaching schemes and start fixing the issues. They talked about that last year but ultimately it was only really took a tiny step in that direction IMO. There needs to be a realistic evaluation of the play of some of these guys and the guts to move them, buy them out, or find a way to minimize their role. And then AV needs to take a hard look at his defensive coaching style and at how it's being down elsewhere in the league and be realistic about what is going on for the Rangers. Again, too many blown assignments and poor play...is he asking too much of these players? Is the system just a poor one? Be honest and find a way to fix it.

And finally, the forwards probably do need a shakeup at this point. I like most of the guys but if there's a way to keep getting younger and address issues with the team, then keep looking to make changes. I think this core is "done" in terms of the kicks in the can it's going to get at the cup. Don't run out and trade everyone but be realistic about moving some parts for the right price and don't keep everyone together because of a misguided belief that this team is still a contender.

Time to stop thinking like a contender and start thinking how to retool this team to be competitive going forward

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Retool the defense....somehow, and gear up for one last run next year. If it doesn't work out next year, let Nash walk, trade Lundqvist and Stepan or Kreider and really blow the whole thing up.

Do all that stuff at the trade deadline if it's not looking like you'll make the playoffs.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

grack posted:

This would be one of the stupidest mistakes the Rangers could possibly make. Dude consistently gets good performances out of whatever pile of trash he's given to work with.

I mean, what's your complaint, that he leans too hard on vets? Great, you're complaining about literally every NHL coach in the history of time. That he can't make adjustments on the fly during a playoff series? Yeah, also a problem with literally every coach ever. Making systemic changes takes a long time requires a fair amount of practice time, neither of which you get in the playoffs.

Put it this way: If the Rags fire Vigneault you'll be back in a year saying how big of a mistake it was, I virtually guarantee it.

i've been saying this for the entire playoffs: i think vigneault is a good coach but i also think that his time with the rangers is over. i think every coach has a limited lifespan at the helm of any given team and alain vigneault has reached his with the rangers as he has become unable to make correct personnel decisions, his judgment clouded by his history with individual players. i've also said that i'm not sure that there's any coach who doesn't have this problem with a team eventually, which is the reason you bring in a new coach who can look at a team with fresh eyes and decide who his best players are in a relatively objective fashion.

as far as no coach in the world being able to make adjustments during the playoffs, that is a very perplexing thing to say. of course coaches can make adjustments during the playoffs, and of course there have been coaches who have not had problems doing so when necessary. vigneault has not been one of them. one change to the team's playing style that would not have been difficult to make would have been instructing the team to play the same when they have a lead as they do when they do not have a lead. even with a one-goal lead, the rangers were coached to be more passive on the attack, and more "defensive" players (read: players like dan girardi) were deployed more frequently. this is exactly why the rangers lost this series despite scoring first in FIVE OF SIX GAMES. that is a coaching problem, and a different coach could have avoided it.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

-Rangers fans

yeah that's what we're all saying you cracked the code well done homey

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
To be honest, the rangers and sens should redo the series.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

CommaToes posted:

To be honest, the rangers and sens should redo the series.

I'm not sure anyone wants to see that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Levitate posted:

I'm not sure anyone wants to see that

That joke flew over your head

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Glambags posted:

Keep AV but fire arniel, dump Staal Girardi and Holden, trade Stepan. Keep Hayes and Miller. Kreider I'm meh on, if you can get a stud defenseman for him/as part of a package sure why not

I think glass is perfectly fine, he just needs to be in the correct role (which is in the American Hockey League)

What is Arniels role on the team? Is he in charge of the D or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Duck Rodgers posted:

What is Arniels role on the team? Is he in charge of the D or something?

Offensive related. I'm not sure if he runs the PP but if so he needs to gently caress off.

• Locked thread