Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Abugadu posted:

Out of all the division leaders, I think it's the Seahawks. Not that they probably won't win their division again, given the shape of the NFC West, but I don't think they make it anywhere in the playoffs this year. They did nothing to help the o-line, injuries/age are catching up with the defense, and the WRs are still sub-par. I feel like every game is a serious gamble that Wilson doesn't get broken in half, and the second that happens they nosedive.

It's not a LOT of things, but Pocic is very very good. I don't know why people keep overlooking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Coldforge posted:

It's not a LOT of things, but Pocic is very very good. I don't know why people keep overlooking him.

Because they already had a decent center, that was the one spot on their o-line that needed no help at all. I get that they can shift him to guard, but given Cable's track record, I wouldn't be super optimistic.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Being skeptical of Cable is wise, but if Pocic is even "bad" as a rookie it is still an improvement over "terrible".

Plus their first round RT is likely to see some improvement.

They added several new players whether fresh young kids or bargain bin FA, but they added enough players that it seems unlikely to be worse than last year's absolute tire fire.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Dolphins are due. Print the shirts imo

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Dolphins are due. Print the shirts imo

Due to return to the safe calm waters of 8-8, yes.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Cardinals, definitely.

Also maybe the Bengals? It seems like they get a little worse each year
Depends on how this year goes for the Bengals.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

Cardinals, definitely.

Also maybe the Bengals? It seems like they get a little worse each year

The Bengals oline is in rough shape which is kind of shocking really considering they had great tackles like two years ago and drafted replacements for them, but that all fell apart.

The Cardinals also are trying to truck along, but yeah, unless Palmer finds the fountain of HGH, I'm not thrilled with their chances.

I think most of the good teams are actually still in pretty good shape though. Last year, that was the: Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Raiders, Falcons, Seahawks, Packers, Cowboys, Giants and Dolphins

Of those, the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Seahawks and Packers are basically veteran squads with good franchise QB's and coaches without huge weaknesses that are probably all going to be playoff teams again barring a significant number of injuries.

The Falcons have a question mark because of the coaching losses. Their defense was terrible last year, but they added a bunch there. Then again, the offense was so good that it could regress significantly, and if the defense plays even moderately better, they could be very good next year.

Raiders and Cowboys have top notch olines, mediocre defenses and young promising quarterbacks on good offenses. It's easy to see them winning a dozen games next year, or having two injuries in the secondary and missing the playoffs.

Giants have oline problems and possibly the worst QB of the teams listed, but have a defense that could rumble. They seem like a better version of the Ravens to me.

The Dolphins look pretty good honestly. They've got issues, and aren't really outstanding anywhere, but they feel like a wildcard team next year.

Looking at the teams most likely to regress and it's probably the Texans. The AFC South still has a lot of questions, but they went 9-7 last year, but went 8-3 in one score games.... They get JJ back this year, and probably upgrade from godawful to bad at quarterback this year, but does that keep them above the Titans? Andrew Luck randomly winning a half dozen games by himself?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Kalli posted:

The Bengals oline is in rough shape which is kind of shocking really considering they had great tackles like two years ago and drafted replacements for them, but that all fell apart.

The Cardinals also are trying to truck along, but yeah, unless Palmer finds the fountain of HGH, I'm not thrilled with their chances.

I think most of the good teams are actually still in pretty good shape though. Last year, that was the: Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Raiders, Falcons, Seahawks, Packers, Cowboys, Giants and Dolphins

Of those, the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Seahawks and Packers are basically veteran squads with good franchise QB's and coaches without huge weaknesses that are probably all going to be playoff teams again barring a significant number of injuries.

The Falcons have a question mark because of the coaching losses. Their defense was terrible last year, but they added a bunch there. Then again, the offense was so good that it could regress significantly, and if the defense plays even moderately better, they could be very good next year.

Raiders and Cowboys have top notch olines, mediocre defenses and young promising quarterbacks on good offenses. It's easy to see them winning a dozen games next year, or having two injuries in the secondary and missing the playoffs.

Giants have oline problems and possibly the worst QB of the teams listed, but have a defense that could rumble. They seem like a better version of the Ravens to me.

The Dolphins look pretty good honestly. They've got issues, and aren't really outstanding anywhere, but they feel like a wildcard team next year.

Looking at the teams most likely to regress and it's probably the Texans. The AFC South still has a lot of questions, but they went 9-7 last year, but went 8-3 in one score games.... They get JJ back this year, and probably upgrade from godawful to bad at quarterback this year, but does that keep them above the Titans? Andrew Luck randomly winning a half dozen games by himself?

Packers/Seahawks aren't great. They made the playoffs due to being in weak conferences. In general, the NFC is really bad; it has two legitimately good teams (Falcons and Cowboys) and then a few ok teams that have good records due to playing against garbage. They are basically at the same level of talent as the Ravens, who didn't even your list of good teams from last year.

The AFCW has more good teams than the entire NFC.

None of this matters since the Patriots will win the Superbowl again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MrLogan posted:

Packers/Seahawks aren't great. They made the playoffs due to being in weak conferences. In general, the NFC is really bad; it has two legitimately good teams (Falcons and Cowboys) and then a few ok teams that have good records due to playing against garbage. They are basically at the same level of talent as the Ravens, who didn't even your list of good teams from last year.

None of this matters since the Patriots will win the Superbowl again.

three times in four years, again :getin:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

three times in four years, again :getin:

And this time we are going 23-0

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

The Cowboys are in a good place, especially next year when they can start spending in earnest on defensive players. That said, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the team falls short of 13 wins again this year, in part because of a harder schedule and in part because Dak Prescott will have a worse season. Not in a terrible 'sophomore slump' kind of way, but rather in a "he's going to throw more than 5 INTs this season" way.

MrLogan posted:

On the other hand, this is just nonsense. 6-7 of the 10 best teams last season were NFC teams. The good teams in the AFC West are KC and Oakland.

Given the erosion on defense and the lack of a clear franchise QB right now, I'd agree with this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The Dolphins might be mediocre-to-good, they might be mediocre-to-bad. They could quite easily have a reverse of last year where they play a bunch of good teams close but don't get the end of game breaks and go 6-10. Or they could go 10-6 if things work out.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Cowboys are in a good place, especially next year when they can start spending in earnest on defensive players. That said, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the team falls short of 13 wins again this year, in part because of a harder schedule and in part because Dak Prescott will have a worse season. Not in a terrible 'sophomore slump' kind of way, but rather in a "he's going to throw more than 5 INTs this season" way.

On the other hand, this is just nonsense. 6-7 of the 10 best teams last season were NFC teams. The good teams in the AFC West are KC and Oakland.

Given the erosion on defense and the lack of a clear franchise QB right now, I'd agree with this.

I think you are vastly overestimating the NFC teams if you think that 6 or 7 of the best 10 teams were NFC. The Ravens are better than every team in the NFC other than the Falcons and Cowboys and they aren't considered immediate contenders in the AFC.

Break down:

NFCE - One good team, a couple of average teams, one bad team
NFCW - One above average team, one below average team, two bad teams
NFCS - One good team, one average team, two bad teams
NFCN - One above average team, one average team, two bad teams

There are a lot of bad teams in the NFL at the moment.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

The Dolphins might be mediocre-to-good, they might be mediocre-to-bad. They could quite easily have a reverse of last year where they play a bunch of good teams close but don't get the end of game breaks and go 6-10. Or they could go 10-6 if things work out.

So many games turned on a crazy play that seems low odd (Rivers throwing a pick 6 to Kiko, blowing the game etc)

But our defense has a bunch of new question marks. On paper our team has improved by a small margin, with lots of "let's wait and see" insofar as our rookie help.

I really like Julius Thomas over Cameron, and like Hayes at DE over Jason Jones

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrLogan posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the NFC teams if you think that 6 or 7 of the best 10 teams were NFC. The Ravens are better than every team in the NFC other than the Falcons and Cowboys and they aren't considered immediate contenders in the AFC.

Break down:

Nah, you're overestimating the Ravens, who were maybe an average team last year. They're worse than the Giants and the Redskins, which is also why they lost to both of those teams last year en route to an 8-8 finish.

There are a lot of bad teams, but the split favors the NFC, which has the Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Giants, Redskins, Seahawks, and (maybe) the Eagles. Comparatively, the AFC has the Pats, Steelers, Raiders, Chiefs and...?

e: Seriously, what evidence can you offer that the Ravens are an above-average team?

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 10, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

MrLogan posted:

Break down:

I wouldn't call the Saints and Panthers bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrLogan posted:

Break down:

lol

Now do the AFC for comparison, I'm dying to see more

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

MrLogan posted:

Break down:

Im intrigued to see which team in the NFCE you consider bad...

Also missed the bit about the Ravens being better than all but 2 NFCE teams, thats pretty funny, did Ray Rice corner you in an elevator and force you to say that?

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 10, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just realized Revis is still a free agent. Wow, his fall was fast

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Intruder posted:

Being a free-agent in May while getting paid 6m is a pretty good gig if you can get it.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

ive read the script for the next nfl season and it says the bengals win the super bowl

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He's two years removed from being worth risking league punishment for tampering to give him an enormous contract

Well now that FAs don't count against comp picks I wonder if the Texans can find a FA RT to relieve some of the pressure. Who's even left who doesn't blow? Could be the difference between squeezing out a couple wins or not., tired of seeing pass rushers just rip one right by Clark

Fart

Are Vollmer and Dunlap physically done at this point?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Probably in Dunlap's case. He has a really extensive injury history with concussions and should probably call it a career at this point.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chris Berman's wife Kathy died in a car accident,

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/19349242/kathy-berman-wife-espn-icon-chris-berman-dies-car-accident

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
She went all the way :smith:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

iospace posted:

I'd say the Steelers are due for a decline, but who knows. Ben sits out and their backup is pretty decent this past season. Who knows there.

Patriots are long overdue for one, but that won't happen for a while (well, as long as Bill gets people to come over by going, "Play for me, have a legit shot at a ring. Play for them, sure you get money, but will you get that ring?").

Other team likely overdue for one: Packers, as much as I hate to admit that, though of the current top teams, those are the inky ones that have division champion dynasties compared to the others.

I mean, the Steelers had consecutive 8-8 seasons just a few years back. Going back to like 1970, this was about as much of a "decline" as they've gone through, with or without a franchise QB. The franchise knows how to win, even if they don't approach the Patriots highs.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hey guys who knew that Frank Clark was a huge piece of poo poo??

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/862307428469231616

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Intruder posted:

Jets released starters in Revis, Mangold, Giacomini, and Brandon Marshall and Marshall is the only one to get another job.

I'm actually pretty shocked about Mangold, the rest not so much.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah I'm straight up confused on Mangold.

It's similar to how surprised I was Eric Winston struggled to find work

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Amy Pole Her posted:

Winston wasn't a mystery; he got blackballed for the same reason as Mawae: Being president of the NFLPA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

What a shock that a lot of people don't care how much you beat up women if you can play football well

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

I hate the general public

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminder that he didn't apologize for what he said and did, he apologized if anyone was offended

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

What a shock that a lot of people don't care how much you beat up women if you can play football well

We live in a world where people are trying to build a new Paterno statue

In other words, the world is a terrible place filled with subhuman garbage

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

TheChirurgeon posted:

We live in a world where people are trying to build a new Paterno statue

In other words, the world is a terrible place filled with subhuman garbage

Thanks, Trump!

Also, probably thanks Kalli that dogfucker!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

I think the issue is that he'd like to start as a center, have a vague shot at a ring and not get vet minimum.

I'm pretty sure once he works out what he's ok compromising on he'll find work quickly

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Also Seahawks DT Jarran Reed is under investigation for domestic violence.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
When is Trump going to fire Goodell?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Also Seahawks DT Jarran Reed is under investigation for domestic violence.

the Seahawks sure have a lot of wifebeaters on the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

When is Trump going to fire Goodell?

When the Patriots don't win the Super Bowl, so in 2020 oder 21.

• Locked thread