Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tias posted:

So, dumb facebook debate had me wondering, how many wars have French fought( for ease, let's say post-ancien regime), and how many of them have they won? Roughly speaking.

It really depends on how you divide it up. Is Napoleon one lost war or many winning wars capped off by a defeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tias posted:

So, dumb facebook debate had me wondering, how many wars have French fought( for ease, let's say post-ancien regime), and how many of them have they won? Roughly speaking.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It really depends on how you divide it up. Is Napoleon one lost war or many winning wars capped off by a defeat?

And how do you classify wars where they were part of a coalition of allies? They were a part of the allied forces in the Crimean War, and they were an extremely important factor in the Allies winning World War 1. WW2 didn't go nearly as well but Charles de Gaulle and thousands of others fought with the allies the whole war.

Where does that joke originate from anyway? I'd imagine it's from before the early 2000s but I feel like it really became popular again after they refused to participate in the Iraq invasion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothing says cheese eating surrender monkeys like refusing to participate in the international gank squad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

And because people disparaging the French on facebook would certainly count it as one war, it should be pointed out that by that criteria France won WWII.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Where does that joke originate from anyway? I'd imagine it's from before the early 2000s but I feel like it really became popular again after they refused to participate in the Iraq invasion.

It's definitely a WWII thing, and was certainly around before 2003, but 2003 seems to be the thing that brought it roaring back to life as a meme.

e: VVV Since I just looked it up, the episode in question is from 1995. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUKEVU-TwM

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 10, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing says cheese eating surrender monkeys like refusing to participate in the international gank squad.

"Cheese eating surrender monkeys" specifically was originally a joke on the Simpsons.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUKEVU-TwM

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 10, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the French performance in Indochina accompanied by their generally being punk bitches about their whole overseas colonies thing postwar did not help matters.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Cheese eating surrender monkeys" specifically was originally a joke on the Simpsons.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUKEVU-TwM

But the feeling that the French surrendered too easily basically goes right back to 1945.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Alchenar posted:

I mean my point is 'there's always a ton of plausible counterfactuals', but I don't think 'Stalin panics because of the German advance and insists on immediate unplanned attacks by forces that look strong on paper but in reality are essentially combat ineffective' is that unrealistic because that's basically the story of 1941.

The problem wasn't Stalin panicking, and much more the fact that he had all the competent officers shot prior to the outbreak of the war, so no-one knew how to conduct an offensive properly.

Fortunately the Soviets had taken the correct lessons from WWI and had made preparations to completely replace their combat losses within a matter of months and so could absorb these casualties in a way the Germans couldn't.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Since Charles de Gaulle has been mentioned, I'll post this again: https://youtu.be/_uukBpYD9PU

I posted it before though not in the milhist thread, and at least one person enjoyed it then, so here you go. It's easy to forget de Gaulle existed after WWII. Lyrics in description

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

I feel like the French performance in Indochina accompanied by their generally being punk bitches about their whole overseas colonies thing postwar did not help matters.

It's not like America did any better in Indochina in the end, though, is it? ;)

Edit: as for wars fought/won, just as with Britain you'll see a whole bunch in 19th century Africa where they did both (being Maxim-gun havers).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Even with conservative definitions of war participation the French are the most winningest nation in the world.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Even with conservative definitions of war participation the French are the most winningest nation in the world.

Yeah but what have they done for us lately

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah but what have they done for us lately

I ate a macaron a couple weeks ago

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 10, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kassad posted:

But the feeling that the French surrendered too easily basically goes right back to 1945.

quote:

AMERICANS believe in the right to criticize . We defend
our right to "beef '' or "gripe" or "sound off". We insist
upon the right to express our own opinions .
But we also believe in the right of others to express thei r
opinions. For the right to speak involves the duty to listen .
The right to criticize involves the responsibility of givin g
"the other side" a fair chance to make its point . We kno w
that the truth can only be found through open and hones t
discussion, and that the common good is served throug h
common attempts to reach common understanding, In on e
way, Democracy is the long and sometimes difficult effort
which free men make to understand each other .

America has come a long way

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

By most measures the French "won" Algeria but committed so many atrocities in the process that the government had to be dissolved. Then the Foreign Legion tried to start a coup, for anime-esque reasons.

On the whole, France has much warmer relations to their former colonies than any of the other colonial powers.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

MikeCrotch posted:

The problem wasn't Stalin panicking, and much more the fact that he had all the competent officers shot prior to the outbreak of the war, so no-one knew how to conduct an offensive properly.

The Soviet performance in the early stages of the Winter War proved to Stalin that yes, the Soviet armed forces had issues. It wasn't mostly that everyone competent had been shot, but a lot of officers were green and had been promoted rapidly to replace those who had been purged. A competent batallion commander won't be a competent commander of a division on day one.

The Soviet later offensives in the Winter War were carried out competently under the leadership of Shaposhnikov and Timoshenko when they got their poo poo together and leveraged the resources of the Soviet Army properly.

In general, the Soviets were rebuilding the military still in 1941 but Barbarossa happened mid-reforms and they simply weren't ready for it. If Germany for whatever reason would have waited until 1942 or 1943 it would have been vastly different.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

By most measures the French "won" Algeria but committed so many atrocities in the process that the government had to be dissolved. Then the Foreign Legion tried to start a coup, for anime-esque reasons.

On the whole, France has much warmer relations to their former colonies than any of the other colonial powers.

By most measures except the actual objectives of the campaign? :confused:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

A French guy once explained to me "Algeria for us is kind of like Vietnam is for the US... except we never, ever, ever talk about it."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Vietnam was their Vietnam.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zoux posted:

Fortunately America's adventures there overshadow France's--dien bien phew

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

zoux posted:

Vietnam was pretty much both their Hong Kong AND Singapore.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Um, I'm pretty sure the Commonwealth would have something to say about that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fortunately America's adventures there overshadow France's--dien bien phew

I was actually pretty shocked to learn (embarrassingly recently) that France lost significantly more dudes in the First Indochina War than the US did in Vietnam. America really does do an incredible job of making everything we do seem to be the biggest/greatest/best #MAGA etc

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, we'll collectively challenge them to a game of cricket over that!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

I was actually pretty shocked to learn (embarrassingly recently) that France lost significantly more dudes in the First Indochina War than the US did in Vietnam. America really does do an incredible job of making everything we do seem to be the biggest/greatest/best #MAGA etc

We make a lot of movies and TV shows about our wars and well we are the cultural hegemon.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Squalid posted:

By most measures except the actual objectives of the campaign? :confused:

FLN was legitimately suppressed, and the French army was cutting off rural support by making literal concentration camps. It was stuff that would have worked in like 1912. I don't think the military was responsible for changing the social fabric of France through its actions though, that was the culmination of the previous 50 years of French history.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Settler colonies notwithstanding, I don't think Commonwealth does much besides play international cricket.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

Less than 20% of French losses were actually from France though. In addition to Vietnamese and other Indochinese in French service there were also North Africans and the foreign legion. France didn't have a draft so they relied heavily on the colonies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
France was quite possibly Europe's most consistently powerful great power in the early modern period.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

France was quite possibly Europe's most consistently powerful great power in the early modern period.

I feel like the Von Hapsburgs might have something to say about that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Kassad posted:

Thanks for posting this. I read all of this using the .pdf linked in the article and it's pretty fascinating

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ithle01 posted:

Rocroi is a compelling argument against the Hapsburgs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ithle01 posted:

France was a great power before the hapsburgs became one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

There are philosophy departments that *don't* read Kant and Hegel?
are you from the us? it's all this poo poo now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_philosophy

to get anything interesting you have to talk to the polisci people or the german department

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phi230 posted:

kinda sucked in the early 17th century, made up for it by the late 17th century, and swept the 18th century :patriot:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Rocroi is a compelling argument against the Hapsburgs.
not really, they took the fortress back the next battle, it just became a symbol for historians afterward
and consider that it's the spanish army inside france, never vice versa

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

are you from the us? it's all this poo poo now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_philosophy

to get anything interesting you have to talk to the polisci people or the german department

Oh, these guys

I know all about their work but while some aspects of this are quite interesting it usually makes me roll my eyes, these guys are moving mountains to create molehills, and usually those molehills are in dedication of "ignoring certain basic developments of the past 150 years, like pragmatism and the existence of psychology."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Let's, uh, not forget that France's former colonies include fun, exciting, and exceptionally stable places like Syria and Lebanon.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

France was a great power before the hapsburgs became one.

Considering how often France had to join a coalition or alliance of forces to take on the Hapsburg family web I'm not sure we can say that France was the greatest of the Great Powers in the Early Modern.

edit: what time period are we talking about here? I'm genuinely asking because I'm assuming around mid-15th century to ~1800.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let's, uh, not forget that France's former colonies include fun, exciting, and exceptionally stable places like Syria and Lebanon.

I'm not saying they can't be?

Lebanon is alright.