Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Two Finger posted:

Trump is disruptive and destructive enough that he has basically single-handedly mired his own Presidency in so much poo poo they can't get anything done.

I honestly believe between President Pissbaby being a complete, easy to manipulate useful-idiot, Bannon, Gorka or Gostka or Grotsky or Scrotka, whatever the gently caress his name, and whatever myriad other Russian back door folks involved + ALL the firings and ALL the current vacancies it's as if the mire is on purpose. We're basically at a destabilized standstill and can't do dick all domestically and not much more internationally besides lob a couple token missiles or let Seals keep getting off'd. Seriously putin++ just has to be leaning back in his chair chuckling away at our collective dumbness right now.
:shrug:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Missionary Positron posted:

So, what are the odds of the next FBI director dropping all investigations into Trump & Russia, or maybe even start investigating/prosecuting Hillary?

The former, potentially. The latter? Nah. If there was something to prosecute, she would have been.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862282202188566529
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862283792559616000
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862286091759611905

:staredog:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm seeing Dongald, but hearing Vince. Huh.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Is there really no breaking point for elected Republicans? Lindsay Graham on Morning Joe gave what amounted to a shrugged shoulder over the Comey firing. In essence: dems wanted him gone before and no one in dc liked him anyway so whats the probs lol ps: clinton amirite?

Or are we just wrong and it's not actually a big deal, I mean this seems to be the new normal some how.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nothing matters until McConnell (R-Turtle) decides that it does. https://twitter.com/mviser/status/862301905053253633

But, here's a chaser: https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/862309658547036160 :shobon:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Sasgrillo posted:

Is there really no breaking point for elected Republicans? Lindsay Graham on Morning Joe gave what amounted to a shrugged shoulder over the Comey firing. In essence: dems wanted him gone before and no one in dc liked him anyway so whats the probs lol ps: clinton amirite?

Or are we just wrong and it's not actually a big deal, I mean this seems to be the new normal some how.

No. God loving dammit, no there is not. This has been the case from November, and to one degree or another, every last Republican has become complicit in this. They will do absolutely anything of whatever legality to the point going full-blown fascist to make sure their party sees no consequences for playing a role in this drama. That turtle fucker has already gone out and dismissed the possibility of a special prosecutor after an action that would put Nixon to shame. It is a party that does not deserve to exist, and has been for decades, frankly, but the obviousness of their corruption and malfeasance has pushed us to a tipping point. Rats, all of them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Teen Vogue, MTV, National Parks Service, and Chuck Tingle... voices of the resistance, etc

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

Teen Vogue, MTV, National Parks Service, and Chuck Tingle... voices of the resistance, etc

Hillary voice: oooh me too!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Kathy Berman, Chris Berman's wife, died yesterday in a car accident. Today is his birthday.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Nothing matters until McConnell (R-Turtle) decides that it does. https://twitter.com/mviser/status/862301905053253633

In theory, couldn't the Senate still override McConnell if they managed to get a bipartisan supermajority? Not that getting 12 Republicans would be easy, but in a perfect world it would be doable, correct?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

psydude posted:

In theory, couldn't the Senate still override McConnell if they managed to get a bipartisan supermajority? Not that getting 12 Republicans would be easy, but in a perfect world it would be doable, correct?

You're too much into pigs flying territory. The Majority Leader of the Senate mostly controls the schedule of when bills hit the floor, committee appointments, etc. There is some arcane poo poo like discharge petitions that force votes past the Majority Leader, but in the vast majority of cases, if the Majority Leader doesn't want it, it goes away or never comes up.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

psydude posted:

Stop entertaining thoughts like this. The GOP have made their bed, and now they are going to lie in it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Also I am going to repost this here too because it is (for now) a load off my mind, and some other people might need that too.

https://twitter.com/greggiroux/status/862313341158641665

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

Stop entertaining thoughts like this. The GOP have made their bed, and now they are going to lie in it.

But here's the thing: so long as Republicans feel that they can survive while sticking with/ignoring Trump, they will. They'll passively sit back while Trump does one outrageous thing after another.

It's a simple calculus. If a possible voter backlash against Republicans in general is less likely than the certain backlash they'd face if they impeach their own president, they'll stick with Trump every time.

And given that he just fired the head of the FBI (the guy in charge of the investigation into his possible collusion with Russia to swing an election), I don't know what, if anything, Trump could do that could push Republicans any further. So we're going to have to wait until 2018 at least to see if a general backlash is possible. Which also means we're in for at least another year and a half of Trump doing real harm to Americans and Republicans folding to Trump's bullshit.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

M_Gargantua posted:

https://twitter.com/dubsteppenwolf/status/862087501757992960

https://twitter.com/dubsteppenwolf/status/862087751939870722

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Thwomp posted:

But here's the thing: so long as Republicans feel that they can survive while sticking with/ignoring Trump, they will. They'll passively sit back while Trump does one outrageous thing after another.

It's a simple calculus. If a possible voter backlash against Republicans in general is less likely than the certain backlash they'd face if they impeach their own president, they'll stick with Trump every time.

And given that he just fired the head of the FBI (the guy in charge of the investigation into his possible collusion with Russia to swing an election), I don't know what, if anything, Trump could do that could push Republicans any further. So we're going to have to wait until 2018 at least to see if a general backlash is possible. Which also means we're in for at least another year and a half of Trump doing real harm to Americans and Republicans folding to Trump's bullshit.

poo poo phrasing on my part, because this is (partly) what I meant.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thwomp posted:

So we're going to have to wait until 2018 at least to see if a general backlash is possible. Which also means we're in for at least another year and a half of Trump doing real harm to Americans and Republicans folding to Trump's bullshit.

We'll see early murmurs this year. Virginia has statewide elections this year; there's enough anger in large parts of the state to flip the legislature blue, assuming Dems can field candidates (a lot of the Republican seats have gone uncontested). Virginia's economy is tied heavily into technology and the government, two areas where Trump is incredibly unpopular (fat government contractors in dumb pickups with Gadsden serpent plates notwithstanding).

https://www.flippable.org/virginia-methodology

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Thwomp posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/05/08/how-trump-could-get-fired

very long new yorker article posted:

As the scandal ground on, Nixon made his second mistake: he flouted the authority of a coequal branch of government. In October, 1973, Nixon refused to obey a federal appellate-court ruling that ordered him to turn over tapes of conversations in the Oval Office, and he forced out the investigation’s special prosecutor, Archibald Cox. For nine months, Nixon continued to resist—in effect threatening the basic constitutional system—until, in July, 1974, the Supreme Court ruled that he had to comply. By then, the damage was done, and the House Judiciary Committee launched impeachment hearings. By thwarting other branches, Nixon weakened his support in Congress and convinced the country that he had something to hide. Until that point, much of the public had not focussed on the slow, complex investigation, but interviews at the time show that Nixon’s stonewalling made people pay attention, and he never recovered. “Well, everything has added up to his incompetence over the last few months, and I don’t think the American people should stand for it any longer,” a woman interviewed in New York by the Associated Press said. “In fact, I just signed an impeach petition.”

The second lesson of the Clinton impeachment comes from the strategy adopted by his legal team. Learning from Nixon’s fate, the lawyers realized that congressional Democrats would abandon Clinton if they concluded that he had lost the trust of the public. Gregory Craig, one of the lawyers who directed Clinton’s defense, told me recently, “The fundamental point is that it’s a political process.” He and his team spent less energy on disputing the details of evidence than on maintaining support from fellow-Democrats and from the public. They painted Clinton as the victim of a partisan quest to exploit an offense—covering up an affair—that was not on the scale of abuse that the Framers had in mind. “To be honest, we pursued a strategy that embraced polarization,” Craig recalled. “I gave a statement to the press that said this is the most unfair process since the Inquisition in Spain. Some arcane historical reference came out of my mouth. I said, ‘It’s like they’ve tied up President Clinton, put him in a closet in the middle of the night and turned off the lights, and they’re whipping him.’ ”

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
*googles lessons learned from the French revoluton*

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

*googles lessons learned from the French revoluton*

*searches TaskRabbit for discrete revolutionaries that identify as gryffindor*

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Trump has yet to flout a co-equal branch of government in a truly serious way. Saying "SEE YOU IN COURT" to a judge doesn't count, especially as he withdrew his first immigration order shortly thereafter.

But also, there's an order of magnitude of difference between lying about having an affair and colluding with a foreign adversary to throw an election. One may or may not meet the misdemeanors clarification in the Constitution. The other would pretty seriously land in the "High Crimes" part (cause it's like, pretty much capital-T Treason).

Edit: While Republicans may have had Clinton on lying/purjury, the underlying issue was an affair. Republicans really did overstep and Ken Starr really did seem to over-pursue his mandate to investigate the President. The Clinton team just played that up to the nines.

I don't think Trump could do the same. There's certainly a partisan aspect to the calls for an investigation but the underlying issue is teaming up with motherfucking Russia to get him elected President. There's no comparison as to the seriousness of the charge. And that's setting aside the fact that Trump is lying/possibly perjuring himself on a daily basis. Where's the outrage from Republicans now? gently caress them.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump will never spend time in jail and I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event he does catch some Watergate criminal charges or whatever, the next president pardons him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Guess what!

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52715

E; not the good kind of guess what, the CBO might not get a score out before the senate fucks us all

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Guess what!

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52715

E; not the good kind of guess what, the CBO might not get a score out before the senate fucks us all

I thought the Senate has to wait or they can't do the reconciliation thingy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
mmmmmmm leaks

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/862330894744506368

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

KildarX posted:

Parliamentary rules aren't law.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
In the year 2017 Paul Ryan gets to live out his dream of killing your grandmother.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KildarX posted:

Has to wait according to whom? The democrats? Public opinion?

No, they're doing whatever they feel like doing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

cowboy elvis posted:

Kathy Berman, Chris Berman's wife, died yesterday in a car accident. Today is his birthday.

Fuuuuuuuck

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

Trump will never spend time in jail and I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event he does catch some Watergate criminal charges or whatever, the next president pardons him.

This is kind of a "no poo poo" point, but yeah, if all this fun smoke goes to flame, Dongald will walk with a pardon like Nixon walked thanks to Ford.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
In non-Trump related news, :toot: :

quote:

Sweden touts 'strategic depth' concept with Finland

The Swedish Air Force (SwAF) has drawn up a concept of 'strategic depth' that would enable Finland to use its bases should that country have to withdraw its forces in the face of an invasion by Russia.

Briefed to reporters in Stockholm on 8 May, the concept is part of a wider bilateral defence cooperation initiative that has been created under the auspices of the newly formed Nordic Defence Cooperation (NORDEFCO) organisation.

"As a small country allied cooperation is vital to us, that's for sure, so we are working very hard to keep the level of cooperation as high as possible and with as many as possible, including with the UN, the EU, and NATO," Colonel Magnus Liljegren from the SwAF headquarters said, adding, "The other organisation is NORDEFCO with the other Nordic countries, and we have been working with this for a couple of years."

As noted by Col Liljegren, Sweden's chief effort within NORDEFCO is in enhancing cooperation its neighbour, Finland. "The focus for us is in enhancing cooperation with Finland, and this is up to the highest levels [of the Swedish government]. Finland is absolutely our top priority partner right now. We have a lot in common, but we also have to bear in mind that Finland is in a different position to us geographically with a border [with Russia] and historically [having fought against Russia]. Finland is a partner that we think can give us a lot, and they are looking to us in order to increase their operational depth. If they need to withdraw they can move into our country and use our bases, so the more we can work together in a flexible way the better it is," the colonel said.

Examples where cooperation between Sweden and Finland have already increased defence cooperation include the field of secure communications; the use of alternate landing bases in each other's country, and with each flying in the other's airspace on a daily basis; air surveillance cooperation; and also with operational planning.

Fantastic news for pretty much everyone except Russia :sweden: :hf: :finland:.

http://www.janes.com/article/70187/sweden-touts-strategic-depth-concept-with-finland

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AP/status/862339469793529856

gently caress you Turkey.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

*googles lessons learned from the Spanish civil war*

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

gently caress you Turkey.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thwomp posted:

More to the point, they understand that most people form their view of the political party in the White House based on the President. If Trump is shown to be a criminal, it hurts them all. It's about political survival; they can likely survive being associated with an incompetent buffoon whose acts they can spin in a positive way. They have to play any criticism of Trump as a partisan attack, and they are going to play it to the hilt, because lol at trying to defend Trump on his record.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

In non-Trump related news, :toot: :

Fantastic news for pretty much everyone except Russia :sweden: :hf: :finland:.

http://www.janes.com/article/70187/sweden-touts-strategic-depth-concept-with-finland
Now please join NATO for funsies.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Have some pleasant news for a change

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/united-passenger-says-crew-left-her-no-choice-pee-cup-n757366

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vice President Pence posted:

There is no evidence of any collusion between our campaign and any Russian officials

I feel like there has been publicly cited evidence for this in the form of Manafort/Stone/Flynn et al, I guess he's arguing on the basis of what counts as :airquote: collusion :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

United gonna United:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/United-Agent-Cancels-Mans-Ticket-For-Taping-Her-421705223.html

Ticket counter agent cancels traveller's ticket over a dispute involving baggage fees and the passenger recording her arguing with him. (Mostly over him recording her, not the baggage)

• Locked thread