Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Is there a reason that I'm missing why Dwarf Hammerers are bad?

Short answer: Thunderers exist

Long answer: Hammerers are slow, expensive, high-tier units with kind of poo poo stats for how much you have to invest to get them. They have to get charge off to be really effective because on defensive, they will generally lose to most similarity tiered infantry, but are far too slow to really do that effectively and reliably, so their primary role as anti-armour unit is kinda lacking, and to add insult to the injury, its not like dwarfes have no other anti armor options. Heck half of their ranged unit specialize in anti armor. There is no point in getting hammerers, because a few squads of thunderers supported by your usual block of dwarf warriors will do the same job earlier, cheaper, better and with far more flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone recommend some map packs btw? If they even work in single player that is. I just laid siege to Altdorf for the first time (it's always been razed by norsca before, i nerfed them this game) and i was really disappointed to see it was the same old bog standard siege map.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

There was some dwarf quest against a ton of chaos cavalry that I found a lot easier with hammerers (and/or slayers). Thunderers were a waste because the AI was too good at constantly cycle charging them to death. Other than that they are generally just arrow magnets.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lt. Lizard posted:

Short answer: Thunderers exist

Long answer: Hammerers are slow, expensive, high-tier units with kind of poo poo stats for how much you have to invest to get them. They have to get charge off to be really effective because on defensive, they will generally lose to most similarity tiered infantry, but are far too slow to really do that effectively and reliably, so their primary role as anti-armour unit is kinda lacking, and to add insult to the injury, its not like dwarfes have no other anti armor options. Heck half of their ranged unit specialize in anti armor. There is no point in getting hammerers, because a few squads of thunderers supported by your usual block of dwarf warriors will do the same job earlier, cheaper, better and with far more flexibility.

Yeah this is a real shame. Dwarves get a nice roster, no doubt about that. Its just strange that a high tier unit like this is so lackluster. Compared to their ranged counterparts, Thunderers, they are really lacking. I know Gejnor put most of his effort into making Thorgrim the WunderWaffen Dwarf Lord, but thinking about their shortcomings, it would make sense if the Dwarf King of all dudes could make them viable (somehow). I mean yeah, it gives you something to bonk Grimgor to death with, but aside from that there's not much reason to actually recruit these beyond Thorgrim's starting unit.

Given that they are slamming enemies with hammers, it would be cool if they had some unique debuff they could deliver foes, like lowering enemy attack speed or something. This would be really useful when up against other great weapon enemies; you could essentially use them to outlast units normally designed to kill heavily armored units. They'd be specialized, for sure, but at least they'd have a unique niche. The Peak Gate Guard also giving armor rending would just add to this, by crippling an enemy elite unit, making it easier to focus fire them down (particularly an enemy lord or something)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dongattack posted:

Can anyone recommend some map packs btw? If they even work in single player that is. I just laid siege to Altdorf for the first time (it's always been razed by norsca before, i nerfed them this game) and i was really disappointed to see it was the same old bog standard siege map.

Did you try out this one?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877551324
It is just for the campaign as far as I know, but it might add the individual maps for custom games.

A lot of them are broken for the AI though since the AI is expecting very open spaces.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Third World Reggin posted:

It is just for the campaign as far as I know, but it might add the individual maps for custom games.

A lot of them are broken for the AI though since the AI is expecting very open spaces.

These are hilarious because many of them utterly break the AI logic over their knee. They'll all deploy in some arbitrary place then shuffle in some deliciously tight formation to get murdered when I cross their T with 8 ranged/artillery units just itching to unload into a clumped up mass of repositioning infantry.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Third World Reggin posted:

Thank you! I'll check it out. Do you know if it can be enabled/disabled on a game in progress or if it requires a new game? Couldn't see mention of it skimming the info so i'm guessing it's safe to add as i please, but better safe than sorry.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It says it is save game compatible so it should be fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I tried using map packs, but yeah the AI logic gets messed around for sure. It's awkward besieging Altdorf and having them all huddled into a corner, exhausted from running circles like they were in an ant spiral of death.

On the other hand, it's nice seeing some cooler set pieces here and there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
On the subject of Hammerers: I believe SFO gives them minor splash damage and a knockback chance on their swings. This makes them feel like the badass melee dwarfs you expect from their tier and cost that can go toe-to-toe with elite enemy infantry and carve through light infantry blocks, since they also receive boosted defense stats and a damage bonus for triggering knockdowns in combat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

toasterwarrior posted:

On the subject of Hammerers: I believe SFO gives them minor splash damage and a knockback chance on their swings. This makes them feel like the badass melee dwarfs you expect from their tier and cost that can go toe-to-toe with elite enemy infantry and carve through light infantry blocks, since they also receive boosted defense stats and a damage bonus for triggering knockdowns in combat.

Good, because so help me all eighty of those dudes should be like Jumpman in Donkey Kong when he gets the hammer and just bonk bonk bonk their way to victory.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Steel Faith is really well-done and I recommend everyone try it. It doesn't have any of the crazy nerd poo poo or awful arbitrary changes that your typical total war mod has. Truly leagues above crap like Radious or Darth. The experience is very similar to vanilla Total Warhams, just more viable units and buildings. (extremely few added units, just adjusts stats on existing ones)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

selecting a unit of hammerers in melee should play this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcrLkwIfXLU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Steel Faith is really well-done and I recommend everyone try it. It doesn't have any of the crazy nerd poo poo or awful arbitrary changes that your typical total war mod has. Truly leagues above crap like Radious or Darth. The experience is very similar to vanilla Total Warhams, just more viable units and buildings. (extremely few added units, just adjusts stats on existing ones)

Is there a full changelog anywhere? I generally don't like overhaul mods (and "t4 settlements" and "longer battles" feel off to me) but the idea of balancing units by size and tactical use ala Shogun 2 sounds nice

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Xhotl is Kroq-Gar's hometown. Unfortunately, it was destroyed back when chaos first invaded the world and he's the last survivor. :eng101:

I wonder if this is supposed to be a teaser about him (not that we didn't know he would be in the game) or maybe that his ruined temple-city might play a role in one of the plotlines.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dismissing the Lizardmen as "primitives."

Warhammer Elves really do gently caress up everything they do, don't they. :allears:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mordja posted:

Warhammer Elves really do gently caress up everything they do, don't they. :allears:

Literally everything they touch. It's great.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Xhotl eh? Interesting, I hope that means Krog'Gar and Grymlock killing tons of elves.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've had enough of these space-traveling, hyper-intelligent, masters of science and magic, primitive lizard-people. I don't want to hear about them predating, eclipsing, and outliving our own civilization! They wear loincloths! And not for a religious reason!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

It's a defensible position. I mean, look at them. Not a fancy metal hat to be seen. And their tiny wizard-leaders, while admittedly proficient in the lores of the Heavens and Beasts, are both easily frightened and no match for any well-trained student of Saphery.

Any reports of slumbering behemoths whose mere attention is enough to shatter an archmage's mind are just from greedy dipshits who tried to get a hit of that sweet, sweet Vortex without taking proper precautions.

Also the scouts we sent into the deep jungle probably just got lost.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a good list of overall good mods for everyone to have? Stuff like quality of life changes and universally agreed-upon balance changes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably not because everyone prefers different things.

This mod to disable enemy agent actions. There are those among us that think the AI's agent system is broken beyond repair and so forego it altogether and get the No Aggressive Agents mod that completely prevents AI agents from doing anything to your armies/settlements (other than deploying for +/- population growth, happiness, corruption, build costs, etc.,). This is an Absolutely Required mod for me and I rate it 9 lvl 25 banshees at turn 50 out of 10.

Mogar's Militia makes garrisons make more sense, and makes settlements (usually) harder to take. It adds garrison lords and sometimes garrison heroes/special units depending on the building added. I feel this makes the game a lot .. better. A lesser version of a garrison overhaul is Lokerian's that just adds a couple units. Either of these mods are Almost Always Required for me. I rate it 4 peasant bowmen out of 5.

Forums User Gejnor's own Green Iz Best mod makes greenskins better pretty much across the board. This is pretty necessary, since more often than not the Greenskins faction will get gobbled up by the dwarfs. This makes that not happen as much, and makes them harder to deal with which makes sense, since greenskins are supposed to be a Big Fuckin' Deal in the lore. This is an Absolutely Required mod for me. I rate this mod 4000 Orc Boyz out of 4000.

Home Region Movement Speed Bonus. It makes hunting down assholes in your own areas easier, since otherwise they'll just run away from you the entire time and be really, really annoying. Absolutely Required for me. If a 0 is Archaon raiding Ostermark with a half-dead card of hell cannons, and a 10 is all 4 Chaos Legendary Lords attacking a full Empire stack led by Franz in a settlement with max wall upgrades, this is a 9-- an AI with an all melee infantry army attacking my army that has infantry, ranged, artillery, and cavalry.

Full Cost Forced March. Similarly, this makes forced march require 100% of movement points to assume, so you and the AI can't just bail at super speed at any point by using forced march. This means you actually get to finish off armies! Absolutely Required for me. 5 videos of Sonic the Hedgehog talking about bullies out of 5.

More Skill Points. Gives more skill points, which makes everything a whole lot easier. You won't have enough skill points to get everything, but you will get enough skill points to get everything you want in a general/hero. Generals get 2 skill points at 5, then 2 for every level from 10-30. Heroes get 2 skill points ever 5 levels. Absolutely Required for me. 10 swordsmen with honest steel out of 10.

No Confederation Penalty. This removes all confederation penalties other than the "no confederation for 5 turns" rule (for everyone but Bretonnia, at least). It makes no sense that confederating an ally should make people pissy. Great Power already causes enough diplomacy penalties, confederation was a dumb penalty to start with and it's a dumb penalty now. This is Almost Always Required for me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why can't Agents embed themselves in a garrison? That would be so helpful! Morgars militias gives you heroes in the garrison but they are only the equivalent of level one (granted, you're not paying upkeep either). I think it would be reasonable to have existing agents able to embed themselves in garrisons like they can embed into armies. This also makes a lot of sense since several heroes are particularly well suited for this; either a hero that was helping you make money (regardless if they were deployed or not) raise the veterancy of recruited units, etc. Engineers get a skill that makes towers shoot 15% faster, but this almost never gets used because you're almost never fighting in a siege defense.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Why can't Agents embed themselves in a garrison? That would be so helpful! Morgars militias gives you heroes in the garrison but they are only the equivalent of level one (granted, you're not paying upkeep either). I think it would be reasonable to have existing agents able to embed themselves in garrisons like they can embed into armies. This also makes a lot of sense since several heroes are particularly well suited for this; either a hero that was helping you make money (regardless if they were deployed or not) raise the veterancy of recruited units, etc. Engineers get a skill that makes towers shoot 15% faster, but this almost never gets used because you're almost never fighting in a siege defense.

agent death is a series of rules that would break without a lord.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

there's a chaos dwarf mod out and the dreadquake mortar is fukcing hilarious

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

At least the guy writing the letter has the sense to go "I remain unconvinced, every graduate of the white tower worth their salt knows there is great power in the temples of the jungle". I mean, that's not what they literally wrote, but it's the gist of it and shows they aren't a complete idiot. Unlike their (apparent) superior.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/862291117341069317

Here we go then. Lizardmen in-engine trailer tomorrow.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/862291117341069317

Here we go then. Lizardmen in-engine trailer tomorrow.

Don't you mean november 5th?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
No, its not the retarded american date system but the correct one that the rest of the world uses.

Also, GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
who has a trailer for a trailer

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Everyone welcome to the 2010s.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Like half the movie promos on youtube have like a 10-second highlight reel AT THE START OF THE TRAILER ITSELF.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Krazyface posted:

Like half the movie promos on youtube have like a 10-second highlight reel AT THE START OF THE TRAILER ITSELF.

Auuuugh I hate it so much! How long before games start copying this?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tiler Kiwi posted:

More coal for the hype train Choo Choo!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Krazyface posted:

In fairness, that's because after the first 10 seconds it can be skipped, and so they shove a bunch of stuff into that early section to try and grab your attention. It's annoying, but it's perfectly understandable.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Panfilo posted:

More coal for the hype train Choo Choo!

Bringing back coal miner jobs. What a job creator!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gejnor posted:

No, its not the retarded american date system but the correct one that the rest of the world uses.

Really? In daily speech, do you say "November 5th" or "the 5th of November"?

My hype is uncontrollable. I'm going to end up spending so much money on this.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

wiegieman posted:

Really? In daily speech, do you say "November 5th" or "the 5th of November"?

My hype is uncontrollable. I'm going to end up spending so much money on this.

In the UK we say '5th of November' usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Have you guys tried the new map packs that customize specific regions? I'm using a set of them and the most jarring thing is that there are NO WALLS. You get maps that offer some terrain advantages to the Defender but it is a big change. I was defending one capital with dwarves (Black crag I think, or maybe another similar one) and was thinking on how I had the greenskins licked because I had them all funneled into this choke point.

Suddenly the other half of the Greenskin's forces come tearing out of some side pass I didn't even know was passable and flank the poo poo out of me :black101:. It was pretty crazy.

• Locked thread