Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just kept chucking explosive tanks at the one i've encountered to far with leverage 1 and then finished it off with a q-beam

it's actually the first time i've been a little disappointed in the game, i set up this big pile of explosive tanks with a neuroshock mine on top for this super awesome trap plan, but for the goddamn life of me could not convince the thing to loving step on it. foam darts, getting spotted, nothing could get the stupid thing to budge. so i ended up picking up the tanks one at a time and hucking them at its stupid face

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait actually I remember exactly where it is . There is a guy on the second floor of the neuromod area

are you sure that's where the plan is? because that's where i definitely picked up the gun itself but i can recheck to see if the plan is on the guy

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pyromancer posted:

Guessed the ending right about half-way through the game by reading all the things. But there are some variations apparently and I don't know what exactly causes those:

When do you get change to human arms in the ending handshake? I suspect it is based on total number of neuromods because I manufactured a ton of those and got typhon arms stay that way, despite getting no typhon powers and ranking high on empathy(saw ending videos with human arms but typhon mods and medium empathy)

Ending spoilers: I took a bunch of neuromods on both sides of the spectrum, used the super nullwave to preserve the station, got the Do No Harm and I and Thou achievements, and my arms ended up turning human when doing the handshake

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad I took the Pyrokinetic explosion power, seems to do major damage to anything except the fire Phantoms. downside is it costs a lot but it managed to wreck the Telepath I came across really well.

Also glad I followed advice to get Leverage III. Threw a big level 3 crate at a Phantom and he splattered.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Feels like there's a lot of useless powers on the Typhon side so I restarted my run, but the one that lets you make Typhon servants out of human corpses is amazing once upgraded. Your servant lasts until killed and I've been able to spawn an Electric and Fire Phantom that completely wrecked everything for me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Feels like there's a lot of useless powers on the Typhon side so I restarted my run, but the one that lets you make Typhon servants out of human corpses is amazing once upgraded. Your servant lasts until killed and I've been able to spawn an Electric and Fire Phantom that completely wrecked everything for me.

Nice find. That sounds MUCH better than turrets.

Those things get trashed so quickly.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's balanced by corpses not being very common but Mindjacked and Machine Mind minions don't seem to last very long when they're on your side and even if they do survive you have to fight them

Backlash seems mediocre too because it only lasts 20 seconds

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Just curious: is Human Resources accessible from the start? I thought it was blocked by Leverage III crates when I first saw it but just noticed after doing the Hardware Labs that the crates were askew and able to be passed. I have Leverage III so it's possible I just moved a crate, walked away for some reason and forgot about it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

snoremac posted:

Just curious: is Human Resources accessible from the start? I thought it was blocked by Leverage III crates when I first saw it but just noticed after doing the Hardware Labs that the crates were askew and able to be passed. I have Leverage III so it's possible I just moved a crate, walked away for some reason and forgot about it.

It was blocked for me until much later when I threw a couch away. Could be something happened to dislodge a crate.

I don't know if there any explosive cylinders in the lobby but you could maybe jury rig something up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

snoremac posted:

I didn't try it, but I don't see why you couldn't toss a recycler grenade at the crates, and you can get those as soon as you can get to your office.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

snoremac posted:

Exact same thing happened to me so it might be scripted.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Ravenfood posted:

I didn't try it, but I don't see why you couldn't toss a recycler grenade at the crates, and you can get those as soon as you can get to your office.

Yeah this works, I did exactly this at the start.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I believe I got into HR through the other side.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I got into HR by putting some leverage I item between the leverage II couch and leverage III whatsit blocking it from the top-of-map (north?) entrance. Then when I left the south entrance was unblocked. Spooky.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just used recycle grenades on both sides

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone happen to know how I can get into this room in GUTS without using the mimic power?

http://i.imgur.com/1sYaQcS.jpg

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think that's one of the few Mimic Matter only rooms because there's no other exits inside

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, I don't think there's another way in.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's just a medbay, if you were wondering what was in there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I think that's one of the few Mimic Matter only rooms because there's no other exits inside

That's lame. I was hoping there would be a sneaky way in or a button I can nerf gun or anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lima posted:

You can stunlock them with the disruptor pistol.

An upgraded disruptor will just straight up wreck them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Probably close to the end of the game now, and Dahl taking over the station and putting 20 military operators in every room is some bullshit. Final thing I did before going to sleep last night was sneak into the shuttle bay and zap him with the stun gun, now the doctor I rescued earlier is going to brain-wipe him. I hope that gets rid of all the operators because they're really annoying to fight and have massively decreased how much fun I'm having. Would hate to have to finish all my remaining side quests with these drat things all over the place.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thread moves kinda fast so my question was skipped over, but how do I get through the micrograv tunnel leading to the Arbortoreum (which is where I have to go to advance the story)? There's a locked door and I have no idea where to look for the code and the game hasn't given any hints.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Thinking back after the end, all neuromods are basically useless.

Repair is needed for 1-2 quests, and some basic freebies. It's nice but not required.

Every plot critical/side path has a code/password nearby. Hacking only seems "required" to open a few safes ( that have more psi hypos in them! :whee: ), and a few ( like less then 5 ) terminals all of which have maybe a single email on them. I never hacked anything that made me actually appreciate the skill.

Leverage is nice for combat, but you can recycle grenade most of the leverage areas. Or just grab leverage one and throw the small stuff at the bigger stuff.

During my endgame scour the station bit, I found exactly two mimic doors that have it as the only way in. One of them is just a medbay. Totally useless.

Almost every single Typhon power seems extremely weak/not enough to justify them. I bought and tried all of them, and the only one that was worth it even slightly was Psychoshock, especially because it blocks psi powers. The all human powers run seems easy, the all Typhon powers run seems terrifying. That shouldn't be the case, and says a lot about how balanced/enjoyable the Typhon powers are.

The only power set I went down that actually felt like it changed the game in significant ways was the human path health/mobility upgrades. And I felt like both ruined the game for me, because it went from a tense station crawl to me doomguying my way around, basically flying everywhere and facetanking two nightmares at the same time. And don't get me wrong, I like DOOM, but I didn't like the change of pacing at all. There is potential there though if you started by grabbing those/leverage 3, got the quickthrow mod, and then started the game as DOOM 2. It's just not what I wanted from the game.

Like if I had to boil it down to neuromods I actually felt did anything, I'd just regrab the first medpack upgrade, the food upgrade, necro, the two security weapon damage buffs ( and gunsmith to upgrade them ), psychoshock and the inventory space stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thread moves kinda fast so my question was skipped over, but how do I get through the micrograv tunnel leading to the Arbortoreum (which is where I have to go to advance the story)? There's a locked door and I have no idea where to look for the code and the game hasn't given any hints.

If it's the same tunnel I'm thinking of (really long one with all the cysts), there is a small rectangular auxiliary tunnel split off near the door. That's where you want to go to find out how to open it.

Now, I'm not going to say that I recall this because I missed the opening because it's not really obvious that it's even there, what I will say is that I had a lot of fun flying all the way back to the other end of the tunnel confused and then back again, still confused. Yes. Fun, is what that was. Definitely.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 10, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rookersh posted:

Like if I had to boil it down to neuromods I actually felt did anything, I'd just regrab the first medpack upgrade, the food upgrade, necro, the two security weapon damage buffs ( and gunsmith to upgrade them ), psychoshock and the inventory space stuff.

Did you try combat focus? It's super nuts.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I still think Necropsy is dubious because I don't have it this run and I'm swimming in exotic materials still

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, i picked up necropsy thinking the extra tumors and organs i was finding on critters would be used for system shock 2 style research, extra resources is a little underwhelming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's intended to give you more resources for crafting neuromods specifically, they aren't enough to get you all THAT much more but it definitely helps. Especially once you start running into the enemies that drop bigger organs to harvest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm not sure how balanced I am being since I've probably crafted about 20-25 Neuromods but I feel like the skill tree is super bloated and am very pumped to complete this hard mode run and do a Typhon only Nightmare playthrough.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CJacobs posted:

It's intended to give you more resources for crafting neuromods specifically, they aren't enough to get you all THAT much more but it definitely helps. Especially once you start running into the enemies that drop bigger organs to harvest.

I don't know I have 30 exotic materials without necropsy and it's minerals and organic materials preventing me from making more neuromods

There needed to be a "find more minerals and ammo" neuromod

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm wondering what the best Typhon only run build would be, since none them seem like big damage dealers (granted I didn't try very many first run)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CJacobs posted:

If it's the same tunnel I'm thinking of (really long one with all the cysts), there is a small rectangular auxiliary tunnel split off near the door. That's where you want to go to find out how to open it.

Now, I'm not going to say that I recall this because I missed the opening because it's not really obvious that it's even there, what I will say is that I had a lot of fun flying all the way back to the other end of the tunnel confused and then back again, still confused. Yes. Fun, is what that was. Definitely.

Is that the one behind the fan? I have no clue how to stop the fan.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Probably close to the end of the game now, and Dahl taking over the station and putting 20 military operators in every room is some bullshit. Final thing I did before going to sleep last night was sneak into the shuttle bay and zap him with the stun gun, now the doctor I rescued earlier is going to brain-wipe him. I hope that gets rid of all the operators because they're really annoying to fight and have massively decreased how much fun I'm having. Would hate to have to finish all my remaining side quests with these drat things all over the place.

Those jerks are the meanest bastards in the game and even the technopaths don't seem to have good odds against them, I saw 3 of them butchering a nightmare up in the garden without taking a scratch. If Alex had the override that lets operator fabricators poo poo them out the outbreak would have been contained before Morgan hit the alarm clock.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I picked Necropsy first thing and I'm STILL constantly short on Exotic, so it's definitely a useful skill.

Although I'm probably crafting way WAY too many Neuromods compared to how many of them a sane person would craft.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

It's always the other stuff that runs out first though. I have something ridiculous like 90 exotic material but am running low on everything else, it's off balance enough that I wish there was some way of transforming exotic matter into other material even if it wasn't a 1:1 return.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is that the one behind the fan? I have no clue how to stop the fan.

Which tool did you get very early in the game that's been letting you solve environmental problems?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm wondering what the best Typhon only run build would be, since none them seem like big damage dealers (granted I didn't try very many first run)

I'm doing Typhon only and I'm desperately trying to find more Telepaths to scan for Psychoshock because it's still king. There's a lot of useless powers in Typhon so the best build would be Psychoshock, Electroshock for robots, and then all the passive defensive ones like regenerate and elemental absorption. 1 point in Mimic Matter and maybe 1 in Remote Manipulation because you don't have enough room to be packing the nerf gun. 1 point in mindjack to free mind-controlled humans

I really like the turn human corpses into typhons one because they stay until they die but I haven't tried it enough to know if it's cost effective.

Also since typhon powers unlock based on research I've been putting neuromods into whatever direct damage or defensive thing is available so you're at the mercy of that too

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 10, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Thinking back after the end, all neuromods are basically useless.

Repair is needed for 1-2 quests, and some basic freebies. It's nice but not required.

Every plot critical/side path has a code/password nearby. Hacking only seems "required" to open a few safes ( that have more psi hypos in them! :whee: ), and a few ( like less then 5 ) terminals all of which have maybe a single email on them. I never hacked anything that made me actually appreciate the skill.

Leverage is nice for combat, but you can recycle grenade most of the leverage areas. Or just grab leverage one and throw the small stuff at the bigger stuff.

During my endgame scour the station bit, I found exactly two mimic doors that have it as the only way in. One of them is just a medbay. Totally useless.

Almost every single Typhon power seems extremely weak/not enough to justify them. I bought and tried all of them, and the only one that was worth it even slightly was Psychoshock, especially because it blocks psi powers. The all human powers run seems easy, the all Typhon powers run seems terrifying. That shouldn't be the case, and says a lot about how balanced/enjoyable the Typhon powers are.

The only power set I went down that actually felt like it changed the game in significant ways was the human path health/mobility upgrades. And I felt like both ruined the game for me, because it went from a tense station crawl to me doomguying my way around, basically flying everywhere and facetanking two nightmares at the same time. And don't get me wrong, I like DOOM, but I didn't like the change of pacing at all. There is potential there though if you started by grabbing those/leverage 3, got the quickthrow mod, and then started the game as DOOM 2. It's just not what I wanted from the game.

I think "useless" is probably not the right word here. Obviously all neuromods are useful for something. Are they all necessary, no of course not, you can beat the game without them. But turning into a cup to get under a gap or being able to throw a server farm at a ghost or exploding a room with your brain is certainly useful.

actually, hacking is worthless because I mean why put points into that when you could put points into "create doppelganger poltergeist from dead body" instead

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

actually, hacking is worthless because I mean why put points into that when you could put points into "create doppelganger poltergeist from dead body" instead

Because dopplegangers won't give me goodies that I wouldn't be able to get any other way. :colbert:

I found plenty of safes that were inaccessible by any means other than hacking, because they didn't even have a way to enter the pin code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jack Trades posted:

Which tool did you get very early in the game that's been letting you solve environmental problems?

Oh gently caress me, I never thought it would stop physical things outside of enemies. Welp.