Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the cool thing about Persona 5 having been out for almost a year is that the anime figures are almost here already

The Futaba figure apparently has MORGANA MODE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if a hypothetical expansion/rerelease will rebalance characters like Persona 4 Golden did, or whether it'll be more like FES and mostly just add content. If I remember correctly, Naoto wasn't very useful in the original Persona 4, but Golden turned her into an absolute monster with her social link and bike skills. Because I could see how Yusuke, for example, could end up being awesome as hell with just a couple more available skills.

EDIT: Hell, let's do some armchair game design :v: Thinking about the characters' skill sets, I think I'd maybe adjust them like this (feel free to tell me how wrong I am):
  • Morgana. Literally Yukari, almost skill-for-skill. I honestly don't think he needs rebalancing all that much--he's useful on-and-off for the whole game and that's pretty good already. If I could make a wish, though, I'd remove Masukunda and maybe even Salvation (frankly, it's overkill) and instead give him two -kaja spells. Go all-in on support. Alternatively, let him be a better debuffer and give him another -unda spell, or even replace Salvation with Debilitate. Saving Joker turns casting Debilitate would make him a pretty attractive endgame party member, at least to me.
  • Ryuji. He's basically Persona 4 Golden Kanji (because Kanji didn't have Power Charge in vanilla). He's fine, no changes.
  • Ann. Fire Mitsuru. She's also fine, no changes.
  • Yusuke. This one's tricky. I wouldn't want to just throw Charge on him, though it would certainly help (Charge + Brave Blade = :black101:). I'd rather let him be somehow unique. Maybe if bosses could be crit and he learned Apt Pupil, or something?
  • Makoto. Nerf her ultimate gun. It's overkill. Though honestly if it only gave +10 Magic it'd still be fantastic for her. Other than that, eh, no real changes needed. She's a bit like Teddie with slightly less support (only one -kaja spell) and better offense.
  • Futaba. Give her a splash screen when you do an all-out attack after a Position Hack. This doesn't buff Futaba. It buffs the whole game.
  • Haru. She's a weird mish-mash of skills and somehow that's fine. I'd love it if Persona 5 had more gun skills, though, and if it did, Haru could start with one more, perhaps. Alternatively: ditch Heat Riser, give her Riot Gun, because gently caress it :hellyeah:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's my favourite ending, but I'd argue that the bad ending of Witcher 3 is the actual best written ending because gently caress

If I can continue this off-topic thing for a moment, I sorta loved how in every ending, Ciri goes off on an insane adventure that could be an entire game in and of itself... entirely off-screen. They didn't even leave themselves room to make a game surrounding that because the conclusion is already set--she succeeds, and either survives or doesn't based on whether Geralt was able to instill in her the courage and resolve she'd need.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 10, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
If you answered "beep boop" to poke fun at a girl's insecurities you are probably a huge jerk irl

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

corn on the cop posted:

If you answered "beep boop" to poke fun at a girl's insecurities you are probably a huge jerk irl

beep boop

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

bants m8

(I didn't give her the ol' beep boop on play 1 when I wasn't doing fun stuff unless it was too good to pass up like I'm a dad but her reaction is still wank)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the thing with "beep boop" is that you're still early in your friendship with Makoto so it's probably not the time to be ribbing her yet.

You don't really get many other options to poke fun at her later, though, so I can't really say whether she'd take it better once she and Joker are closer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The time when it's okay to start ribbing people is literally 1 second after meeting them.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvt0VBWol0

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

corn on the cop posted:

More like I'm keeping the protagonist in character.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's entirely possible that due to my incredible inefficiency and my wish to max all stats to do my 'real' 100% game in NG+, I will end my first playthrough having maxed zero friends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Persona 5 is also pretty consistent with it generally being cool to dunk on your friends but you should lay off the things they're actually insecure about. Like, Morgana calls Ryuji dumb all the time, but Ryuji kinda accepts that about himself and makes no secret he has no interest in academics at all. Ryuji makes fun of Ann's acting but that's not something she cares all that deeply about so while she's mildly insulted, she's never really hurt.

Meanwhile, "beep boop" hits Makoto where it hurts, because she already feels bad about her difficulties relating to other people. And Ryuji ripping on Morgana really hard about something Morgana is already depressed about crosses a line. Makoto's instance is pretty mild, all told--she mostly has a "hey, come on, not cool" reaction.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

Honestly, I'd have a hard time picking between P3 FES and P3P. They each have pros and cons.

FES:
  • Anime scenes for important stuff and seeing character models actually doing things during cutscenes.
  • You can run around town freely and explore the actual spaces, but this also has a downside (it takes more time to get anywhere and do anything).
  • Like the original Persona 3, you can't control party members aside from the MC.
  • Social links are... kinda rough. Only female party members have social links and you can't max them without romancing them.
P3P:
  • You can pick the female main character, who has rewritten and much better Social Links (and links with all the party members, including the dog!). Note that you don't get this benefit if you pick the male main character.
  • You can control the whole party in combat, like in Persona 4 and 5.
  • Skill cards exist to make skill inheritance easier to work with.
  • You don't see cutscenes acted out, just visual novel-style talking heads, and there are no anime scenes (sometimes they just use still images).
My gut says that P3P is maybe slightly better, if only for the better Social Links the female main character gets. If you know you want to play the male main character, or if you care more about the main story than Social Links (which is totally fair, especially in Persona 3), then I'd say go with FES.

You make a lot of valid points. Which is why I will endeavor to play BOTH and get the full experience! :v:

They should rerererelease a version that has the best of both FES and P3P as like a phone app or something. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow posted:

I think Persona 5 is also pretty consistent with it generally being cool to dunk on your friends but you should lay off the things they're actually insecure about. Like, Morgana calls Ryuji dumb all the time, but Ryuji kinda accepts that about himself and makes no secret he has no interest in academics at all. Ryuji makes fun of Ann's acting but that's not something she cares all that deeply about so while she's mildly insulted, she's never really hurt.

Meanwhile, "beep boop" hits Makoto where it hurts, because she already feels bad about her difficulties relating to other people. And Ryuji ripping on Morgana really hard about something Morgana is already depressed about crosses a line. Makoto's instance is pretty mild, all told--she mostly has a "hey, come on, not cool" reaction.

This is kinda how I feel about it - like, she'd probably be ok with "beep boop" after she's gotten over her insecurities, but telling it to her when that option comes up is just rubbing salt in that wound. Really, "don't kick people when they're down" should be a general rule of conduct.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Beep Boop" is good, but my favorite joke dialogue has to be:

"Quick, say something witty to her."
"Something Witty."
"Dammit, I knew you were gonna say that."

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

"Beep Boop" is good, but my favorite joke dialogue has to be:

"Quick, say something witty to her."
"Something Witty."
"Dammit, I knew you were gonna say that."

Calling that guy during Kaneshiro's arc a "Pizza Smuggler" is pretty good too.

That's right! You have to smuggle it to people while it's still hot!"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Haru Would Have Laughed

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Another point for Haru, since she responds best to gags. I thought it was just the devs making her easy to rank up to compensate for her placement, but no, she apparently gets pretty "eh" with you if you're more blandly "supportive".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I found a couple of "Ultimate Arsene" videos and I can't decide which one I'd rather make. My plan right now is still "Debilitate + Auto-Ma-kaja" Arsene, because it's useful, thematically appropriate, and much easier to pull off than either of these two, but I can't deny these are both cool as hell.

Riot Gun Arsene (this one shows Joker's ultimate Persona briefly so SPOILERS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPxV9efA8M8

Almighty Magic Arsene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCsVlRQYl0

(I'm assuming the damage on that magic one is significantly less than in the Riot Gun one just because the Reaper has higher defenses, though I really don't know, because that Riot Gun damage is :eyepop: as hell.)

The gun one would be easier to make, because the magic one needs Magic Ability, which you can only get randomly from Network Fusions and that sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. On the other hand, magic Arsene + gun Satanael could be a pretty good combo, though Arsene's stats are definitely going to be higher because you can min-max him up from level 1.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Also I love all the dialogue options where you just dunk on Ryuji.

"Ryuji's a Phantom Thief."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Before I made my auto-heat rising Arsene with Nukes, I also considered a Gun build but decided against it because I think the actual Arsene Lupin would never touch a gun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Harrow posted:

So I found a couple of "Ultimate Arsene" videos and I can't decide which one I'd rather make. My plan right now is still "Debilitate + Auto-Ma-kaja" Arsene, because it's useful, thematically appropriate, and much easier to pull off than either of these two, but I can't deny these are both cool as hell.

Riot Gun Arsene (this one shows Joker's ultimate Persona briefly so SPOILERS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPxV9efA8M8

Almighty Magic Arsene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCsVlRQYl0

(I'm assuming the damage on that magic one is significantly less than in the Riot Gun one just because the Reaper has higher defenses, though I really don't know, because that Riot Gun damage is :eyepop: as hell.)

The gun one would be easier to make, because the magic one needs Magic Ability, which you can only get randomly from Network Fusions and that sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. On the other hand, magic Arsene + gun Satanael could be a pretty good combo, though Arsene's stats are definitely going to be higher because you can min-max him up from level 1.

Calm down.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
What do you even do with an Arsene like that if you've already beaten the game? There is only the 1 NG+ fight and the Reaper that are harder than the last boss right?

Or is it just to 1 shot bosses because that is cool too

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, who the hell thought removing the Compendium was a good idea? :psyduck:

Doesn't Persona 3 always for some reason wait until a month or two to give you the companion? I remember Elizabeth not giving it to you until after I think second or third Arcane boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scorps posted:

What do you even do with an Arsene like that if you've already beaten the game? There is only the 1 NG+ fight and the Reaper that are harder than the last boss right?

Mostly just because it's cool. I'd love it if there was some kind of post-game bonus dungeon where something that powerful could be really shine but as it is it's just something to do for the hell of it.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

Before I made my auto-heat rising Arsene with Nukes, I also considered a Gun build but decided against it because I think the actual Arsene Lupin would never touch a gun.

and he did famoulously hate hiroshima after all.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Moltrey posted:

the cool thing about Persona 5 having been out for almost a year is that the anime figures are almost here already

The Futaba figure apparently has MORGANA MODE

Way to spoil Futaba's mid-season upgrade IDIOT

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Scorps posted:

It's just Arsene is insanely cool and I'd use any excuse to have him be useful.

It's more serendipity than anything else but Arsene frontloads Agility and has Ryuji-level Endurance so he actually makes a great support persona with the Auto-ma-kaja and Debilitate build. You could make some Giga Arsene that nukes everything but that's waaaay too much effort for something that's super overkill.

It's really :spergin: but in this game it's easier than ever to fine-tune your personas, and that's pretty fun.

Harrow posted:

rebalance talk

Something I suggested before but just change it so bosses can be crit but not held up. Would make Yusuke a ton more useful. His skill set is pretty barren too-- maybe give him Debilitate?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

On the countdown for the 3rd Palace now. The ogres were kicking my rear end until I tried using mental ailments. Looks like Shiisa is going to be my MVP for this dungeon; I need to fuse Onmoraki into something better too, now that it has Pulinpa and Confuse Boost. Thinking Ryuuji/Morgana/Makoto for the initial run on the treasure room. I'm not wild about using someone without Baton Pass but Vajra Blast & Mafrei should be real good for sweeping trash mobs out of the way.

Tell me, though: is it possible to fail the first countdown when Makoto is trying to blackmail you, or is that just a total fake-out?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rangpur posted:

On the countdown for the 3rd Palace now. The ogres were kicking my rear end until I tried using mental ailments. Looks like Shiisa is going to be my MVP for this dungeon; I need to fuse Onmoraki into something better too, now that it has Pulinpa and Confuse Boost. Thinking Ryuuji/Morgana/Makoto for the initial run on the treasure room. I'm not wild about using someone without Baton Pass but Vajra Blast & Mafrei should be real good for sweeping trash mobs out of the way.

Tell me, though: is it possible to fail the first countdown when Makoto is trying to blackmail you, or is that just a total fake-out?

No, that's just a fake-out, and a well-done one at that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rangpur posted:

The story automatically advances to the point where it gets replaced. It's a fake-out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

The story automatically advances to the point where it gets replaced. It's a fake-out.

ROFL Octopus posted:

No, that's just a fake-out, and a well-done one at that.

What about with Yusuke's ultimatum? Are there special scenes where the story automatically advances, or do they just force you into the Palace in time? Or is that one where there is a failstate?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Harrow posted:

Are there special scenes, or do they just force you into the Palace in time?

They're talking about the part before the third palace where the countdown gives you something like 2 weeks until Makoto sends the recording of Ryuji spilling the beans to the police. Before you come close to meeting that deadline, the story automatically advances to the point where Kaneshiro's blackmailing everyone, and then you get a different deadline before the pics get leaked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

They're talking about the part before the third palace where the countdown gives you something like 2 weeks until Makoto sends the recording of Ryuji spilling the beans to the police. Before you come close to meeting that deadline, the story automatically advances to the point where Kaneshiro's blackmailing everyone, and then you get a different deadline before the pics get leaked.

Yeah, I forgot that there's no "go into the Palace" part before that deadline. There is with Yusuke's though, right? Can you fail that one, or does it also have a way of preventing that?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So helpful that you can just go "remember me?" to the fusion fodder in NG+ without having to re-negotiate with them.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Harrow posted:

My gut says that P3P is maybe slightly better, if only for the better Social Links the female main character gets

People like these? They felt like the most hamfisted romance novel tier bullshit to me. the equivalent slinks for the male protagonist are actually some of my favorite dating slinks in the series because you just kinda hang out and gradually they start to like you (instead of a link that's almost entirely the same until you make an arbitrary "pls be GF" choice near the end, like 4/5, it actually felt like a relationship that progressed in a natural way). Meanwhile the female ones are all about how awesome and special you are & you've completely changed my life by existing and picking responses as I monologue at you main character chan

her other unique ones are whatever too, they're basically equivilent as the male ones except for junpei slink which feels completely pointless because it's basically just "I think you're pretty cool and have your back" repeated over and over again because all his actual character development happens in the story. iirc it also isn't effected by junpei being mad at you in story which is really dumb

something you didn't mention is that P3P has notable loading times even when installed, this and being effectively forced into direct control means that fights take even longer in a game where they already run thin after a while

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sefal posted:

You know what Persona 5 does really well. The Persona awakenings.

Makoto's was the best one imo. Shame we didn't get to see Haru's awakening

Ann's was the best imo. Break free, grab a sword, jump slash murder your Kamosida illusion.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ann's was the best imo. Break free, grab a sword, jump slash murder your Kamosida illusion.

Theres no way Ann knew that harming a cognition wouldnt harm the person in the real world yet. That was insanely risky.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

darealkooky posted:

something you didn't mention is that P3P has notable loading times even when installed, this and being effectively forced into direct control means that fights take even longer in a game where they already run thin after a while

That's also true, I forgot about the loading times.

I do like the FeMC social links, if only because I like having party member social links that aren't all romances. Also there's a Koromaru social link. That said, and this is something I didn't mention in my original post, but I actually kinda think Persona 3 loses something when you can directly control your party members. It's something I'd never want to give up in 4 or 5, but it kinda works in 3, and everyone should have the "Mitsuru just won't stop casting Marin Karin" experience :colbert:

If I was going to replay Persona 3 now, I think I'd go with FES, but I could see P3P being appealing for other reasons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

darealkooky posted:

People like these? They felt like the most hamfisted romance novel tier bullshit to me. the equivalent slinks for the male protagonist are actually some of my favorite dating slinks in the series because you just kinda hang out and gradually they start to like you (instead of a link that's almost entirely the same until you make an arbitrary "pls be GF" choice near the end, like 4/5, it actually felt like a relationship that progressed in a natural way). Meanwhile the female ones are all about how awesome and special you are & you've completely changed my life by existing and picking responses as I monologue at you main character chan

her other unique ones are whatever too, they're basically equivilent as the male ones except for junpei slink which feels completely pointless because it's basically just "I think you're pretty cool and have your back" repeated over and over again because all his actual character development happens in the story. iirc it also isn't effected by junpei being mad at you in story which is really dumb

No the persona 3 MC romance links suck because there's less build-up (you start dating at like rank 6) and more importantly: you have to romance every girl. I haven't played it admittedly but the Junpei social link sounds interesting if only for the fact that it can only be platonic.

e: by the way, if you're insanely masochistic and love bad mechanics, you can still set the AI in P3P to auto, it just has smarter AI.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Harrow posted:

There's so much that's weird about Haru's introduction, honestly.

Like, she has a pseudo-Persona? What's up with that? I don't think we've ever seen something like that in the series before, someone basically halfway being awakened but not quite. I'm not too sure why they went that route with her instead of just having her be fully awakened when she's introduced. Maybe just so that we get some sort of dramatic Persona scene for her? Or so that it's obvious from the start that she's not the Black Mask, despite her black mask, because she clearly can't fight yet?

From last page, but this is how I interpreted it: Morgana mentioned a lot that he trained Haru, so my assumption is that he taught her how to summon a Persona, but without the actual awakening it amounts to a half-effort. Maybe, like, a cognitive illusion of a Persona. They are in the Metaverse, after all.