Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Thor/Thad is the most memorable Wurster character in a loooong time. The voice modulator twist at the end was great payoff to an ancient running gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I wish the first part of the call went on forever. It reminded me of when Tom challenged the Zodiac Killer.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
apropos of nothing I think "you sound bald" is a top 10 Wursterism for me.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'll gladly take three straight hours of Jessica from Ithaca and Kat from Raleigh IN STUDIO before I ever want to hear another forgettable garage rock band on the show again. Just a void of charisma and interesting conversation.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'll gladly take three straight hours of Jessica from Ithaca and Kat from Raleigh IN STUDIO before I ever want to hear another forgettable garage rock band on the show again. Just a void of charisma and interesting conversation.

IDK man, any Jon Spencer/Pier Platters convo has me instantly enthralled. Also reminds me Tom enjoys music beyond the 70s.

e: when Tom got all excited about Stones Throw and Quas and PBWolf it was so exciting, but dude was such a snooze

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 10, 2017

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

Thor?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Who was the guy from the band who was riding his bike around to decommissioned nuclear silos in new jersey. That was a good call.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Sunshine and the Rain have played at Pat's live shows pretty often and they're one of the few halfway decent bands working out of Jersey City at the moment, so I'm not surprised they popped up now that their record's out. I happened to see them play twice this past weekend without meaning to.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't mind when Tom has garage and punk bands on because I like a lot of those bands (A Giant Dog etc.) but the interviews usually suck. I also don't really like Sunshine and the Rain. I'll just skip that chunk, whatever

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

I've always thought it was weird and kind of frustrating how even though Tom knows a lot about music and seems to have good taste, the stuff he plays and the bands he has on the show are largely just as you say, forgettable garage rock bands. If I wanted to listen to that poo poo I'd just tune into my college's radio station.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The only good music nowadays comes from small indie bands who are willing to give Tom free stuff.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I think it's more that they actually give him permission to play their stuff? Tom's not on the radio anymore, if he plays Led Zeppelin and Abba every week he'll get sued.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

WrathOfBlade posted:

I think it's more that they actually give him permission to play their stuff? Tom's not on the radio anymore, if he plays Led Zeppelin and Abba every week he'll get sued.

Ya streaming and podcasts are brutal vis a vis RIAA. They make it onerous for the licensing and such, so most will only play independent bands.

But also, much contemporary indie that isn't garage rock/garage punk absolutely loving sucks and it's some of the only promising rock left. I mean Tom still plays Destroyer records.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya streaming and podcasts are brutal vis a vis RIAA. They make it onerous for the licensing and such, so most will only play independent bands.

But also, much contemporary indie that isn't garage rock/garage punk absolutely loving sucks and it's some of the only promising rock left. I mean Tom still plays Destroyer records.

Is that true? I listen to at least two podcasts that have a patreon and use licensed music without licensing (near certain on this). Maybe it's just a matter of exposure/how big the podcasts are?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Rock music is dead so of course Tom can't find anything to play on the show. Guitars in 2017 are like playing a clarinet in 1992.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It's a grey area for shorter snippets of songs, but Tom starts off with three or four songs at the top of the show. He'd be screwed if they did not edit full songs. It would be file sharing.

inferis posted:

Rock music is dead so of course Tom can't find anything to play on the show. Guitars in 2017 are like playing a clarinet in 1992.

Modern rock is on-par with civil war reenactments.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Seltzer posted:

Is that true? I listen to at least two podcasts that have a patreon and use licensed music without licensing (near certain on this). Maybe it's just a matter of exposure/how big the podcasts are?

I worked in college radio for years and we had an FFC lic and a stream so I like to think I'm fairly well versed in it, but that was also many years ago, so the landscape might be different today.

IDK if it's a legal reason they don't put the songs on the podast, or if that's just a sweetener to get people to listen live. But it's much easier to get caught with MP3s sitting online than during your ephemeral streaming. (not that I think Merge or Goner would ever come after him). Earwolf podcasts you'll hear talking about keeping music shorter than 15 seconds, but that's particular to soundclouds enforcement of RIAA stuff as far as I know. Music for comedic/parodic effect seems the most clearcut "fair use" in my mind, but who wants to go to court?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Even the WFMU podcasts edited the songs out because of ASCAP fees etc.

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

Seeing Hollywood Handbook with Tom next weekend at Vulture Festival.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I would say that was not one of the better Wurster calls. Staking the bit on a big punchline at the end like that doesn't work as well as a steady stream of jokes and the Wurster character getting laser whipped or whatever.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I agree that it was way over-telegraphed. I was hoping for an additional twist where Thor actually was a complete badass.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I finally got Stroszek on Bluray. Anyone know if there's still a way to get the Tom/AP Mike commentary track?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
The kazoo guy at the very end of the show was really nuts, I was kind of shocked that Tom let him go as long as he did but it ended up being pretty funny overall

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

It felt like someone opened a portal to hell and all the weird mutant WFMU callers came back. I loved it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The guy who listened to every episode is talking like he's about to snap and murder someone.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

het posted:

The kazoo guy at the very end of the show was really nuts, I was kind of shocked that Tom let him go as long as he did but it ended up being pretty funny overall

It was for real such a joy. Tom was clever to let it go, and the caller really kept up his end of the deal.

Great ep. Gregg Gethard call made the last few weeks of Gallagher stories worth it. Solid Wurster call.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is everyone from Ithaca naturally terrible on the radio?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
OH MY GOD KAZOO DUDE.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Kazoo man, singing man, and fake kazoo man are all heroes. The last hour of this episode is loaded with great calls. Plus the great Gregg Gethard call earlier on. What a show.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seltzer posted:

Is everyone from Ithaca naturally terrible on the radio?

At least they mostly seem to have quality phone lines. I'll put up with a lot from callers that at least have the decency to call from a phone that isn't a buzzing hot mess, and it seems like Tom is mostly on that program as well.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm listening live for the first time in a while and I thought Tom was sick but then I realized he just sounds slower because I listen to the podcast at 1.5x speed.

He started the episode off talking about Nick DiPaulo so that seems like a good sign :haw:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I started listening to the show at 1x because Tom leaves so much dead air on the show and it contributes to the pacing imo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Why would you listen to a podcast at 1.5x speed

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seltzer posted:

Why would you listen to a podcast at 1.5x speed

I do this for all my not-comedy and not-music podcasts. For news and current affairs stuff it owns.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah all my hockey and tech podcasts are sped up and most of the comedy and music are at 1x.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Why

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Because I can listen to more podcasts in less time.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I cracked up at Holden being a little poo poo to Tom last night, especially about Rocket/Rocky Raccoon

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

I have a friend who listens to a lot of business/financial advice audiobooks and podcasts and stuff at 1.5x and he says it's for "productivity" or some such bullshit. He's done it so much it's started creeping into his normal life where he sometimes talks like the Micro Machines man and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CaptainPsyko posted:

Because I can listen to more podcasts in less time.

Yeah it's not that complicated. I listen to most podcasts at 1.2x but news or info podcasts I listen to at a higher speed. I just find Tom does a lot of clicking his pen and sitting around so I like listening to the show at a faster speed.