Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck. marry. t-rex

I've been doing personal chef work in Oakland but I'm too stupid to take pictures or afford a data plan. Or rent lel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

i tried remaking my beer bread with a stout instead of a lager and i didn't like it. i think ambers are the way to go

this weekend i'm gonna cook salmon + sauteed mushrooms and broccoli

treasure bear

joke_explainer posted:

bump. make some food somebody

not really tried anything new for a while, just refining things i've already posted

added some lemon juice, a splash of single cream in the sauce and a little more salt

i'd like to get more separation between the potato and the sauce but i think i'll need a smaller and deeper dish

treasure bear fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 30, 2017

joke_explainer

thank you. i needed to see some good food someone cooked.

ever make gnocchi? to me that hits the potato / sauce separation axis just right

deep dish peat moss

I just made Pesto and that means I'm going to stuff my face and gain several pounds over the next day or two.

joke_explainer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just made Pesto and that means I'm going to stuff my face and gain several pounds over the next day or two.

You should make your own pasta for it and post pics of the process

alnilam

peat posts pesto pasta process pics

treasure bear

The Mk. III Fish Pie features an improved surface optimised for crispiness.

FalseParadigm

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.
Just checking in with my SO's birthday dinner this past weekend:

Kale salad with maque choux and lemon-bacon dressing
Shrimp remoulade
Cornish hen with crawfish stuffing
Braised rabbit over rice
Bourbon glazed young carrots
Mixed greens (collards/mustard)
Too many bottles of wine

We also played one of those "how to host a murder" games. It was p cool.

Manifisto

treasure bear posted:

The Mk. III Fish Pie features an improved surface optimised for crispiness.

looks great! what time to I stop by for dinner?

FalseParadigm posted:

Just checking in with my SO's birthday dinner this past weekend:

Kale salad with maque choux and lemon-bacon dressing
Shrimp remoulade
Cornish hen with crawfish stuffing
Braised rabbit over rice
Bourbon glazed young carrots
Mixed greens (collards/mustard)
Too many bottles of wine

We also played one of those "how to host a murder" games. It was p cool.

holy potatohead, can I hire you to cook for my next birthday?

treasure bear

toast

fuck. marry. t-rex

Good toast.

FutonForensic

my parents got me The Vatican Cookbook, probably an attempt to get me back into church. i made this instead:

SALTIMBOCCA ALLA ROMANA
  1. fold some prosciutto in half and layer it on top of a veal cutlet, with a sage leaf sandwiched in-between
  2. secure the prosciutto to the veal with toothpicks
  3. coat a pan with butter over medium heat
  4. cook the meat prosciutto-side down for a minute or so
  5. flip, cook veal side for another minute or so
  6. remove meat, add marsala wine and reduce to a sauce
  7. serve meat on a bed of risotto, pour sauce over

poverty goat

i just bought some capers to make puttanesca again. gently caress tha popelice

heres some bread

blueberries + tart cherries w/ some lemon zest, w/ 40% spelt (spelt owns for fruited breads)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 17, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
any of you fine fine byobbers have a tetsubin? I just got my first one and it's new and I want to make sure I prep it correctly instead of turning it into a rust nugget. the English instructions packed with it are kind of creatively translated but I figure what I should do is run some boiling water through it a few times and never touch anything but the handle and lid knob with my bare hands?

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

POOL IS CLOSED

dang it to heck i killed the thread

have a seaweed recipe from the Kyoto women's association as compensation

serves 4

10 g of dried arame or hijiki seaweed (not wakame or kombu)
30 g carrot, shredded about 1.5 inches long
1/2 sheet of aburaage (deep fried tofu) cut into thin 1.5 inch strips
100 cc dashi (slightly less than 1/2 cup but more than 1/3)
2 tsp each of sake, mirin, soy sauce, light soy sauce*, and neutral cooking oil
1 tsp sugar or preferred sweetener
*if you don't have light soy sauce you can just add some salt to taste.

wash the seaweed and then soak it in a large bowl of cold water until it's fully rehydrated. dried seaweed can expand pretty dramatically so a big bowl helps make sure you don't end up with a hard spot from seaweed traffic. takes about 30min usually. drain.

Heat the cooking oil in a pot and add the rehydrated seaweed and all other ingredients. simmer together until simmering liquid is mostly evaporated.

serve warm or room temp. makes a pretty good lunchbox side dish. these seaweeds lack the minerally, sometimes fishy punch of wakame so I like this dish quite a bit.

joke_explainer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

dang it to heck i killed the thread

not at all, I think we're just a bunch of uncool western cooks who don't know what a tetsubin is, tell us about it, what is it, what does it do, how do you use it, and what is your favorite thing about it?

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

not at all, I think we're just a bunch of uncool western cooks who don't know what a tetsubin is, tell us about it, what is it, what does it do, how do you use it, and what is your favorite thing about it?

its a nice cast iron teapot i believe.

the unabonger

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

any of you fine fine byobbers have a tetsubin? I just got my first one and it's new and I want to make sure I prep it correctly instead of turning it into a rust nugget. the English instructions packed with it are kind of creatively translated but I figure what I should do is run some boiling water through it a few times and never touch anything but the handle and lid knob with my bare hands?

yeah just make sure you rinse it out with enough boiling water that when you pour out the boiling water it starts to come out clear instead of cloudy. and yeah to the handle/knob

POOL IS CLOSED

joke_explainer posted:

byob is very cool and full of cool cooks. i shoulda provided a photographic bribe in my post and will do so tomorrow when there's more sunlight. (this afternoon got dreary fast, it's the opposite of rad)

i flunked out posted:

its a nice cast iron teapot i believe.

yup! this is the traditional style that isn't glazed inside. no infuser basket either.

to get back to joke_explainer's questions; i apologize in advance for :words: but here goes

the tetsubin is a particular type of traditional Japanese cast iron kettle with an inbuilt handle and a lid. tetsu actually means iron. looks like a pretty ordinary tea pot besides the iron part! i got it to expand my set of tea ceremony implements. I'm working up towards the big iron kettle you ladle water from but that's a pretty intimidating place to start after years of making do with an electric kettle

what's special about the older style, which doesn't have a glazed interior, is that it's somewhat porous. essentially it's cooking qualities are what you'd expect from a cast iron skillet except you apply that to tea and there isn't a seasoning process per se. you work to build up a patina on the interior of some scale and tea staining though

tetsubin are traditionally heated over charcoal fires, and charcoal arrangement is actually one of the old central arts of tea that kinda seems to be dying out -- part of that is the expense of the type of charcoal used, and then there are the obvious safety concerns and the fact that people really don't commonly use charcoal now like they did in the 1500s.

so i got this out of collector madness and a love of all things tea, but another cool thing is that the iron kettle apparently changes the taste of water heated in it and tea brewed in it. the old method of boiling is an extended boil instead of using the water as soon as it reaches the boil. this probably draws out a little iron oxide and likely interacts with scale buildup on older kettles to make a more mineral taste. I'm looking forward to seeing how mine develops.

I will be brewing green tea exclusively, since i will also be using this for ceremonies using matcha. i mention exclusivity because the porosity of the kettle interior means that it will take on color and flavor from tea brewed inside. if my tetsubin experiment turns out well, o will probably get another smaller one for brewing puerh.

tea ceremony stuff from a westerner like me probably sounds weeabooy. i got into chanoyu in college when i took a literature in translation course that involved food and tea. so i learned a bit about ordinary Japanese home cooking as well as more formal styles like kaiseki cuisine, and about the historical and cultural context. my university had just completed building an actual tea room (which was named by the fifteenth head of the urasenke school of chanoyu rather recently, kind of a big deal for these things) so the natural next step was including the study of the way of tea.

I decided I really liked the philosophy underpinning the practice. hospitality, mutual appreciation between guest and host, and an understanding that every meeting is unique and transient. it's like a drinkified version of "be excellent to each other." the world can be a difficult place and much of being is essentially unsatisfying. but two or more minds can come together and set aside the rest of the world for a while to enjoy tea and obtain even if for a moment a sincere and silent understanding of each other.

so I guess preparing and serving tea is one of my ways not just of socializing but also of shedding stress in order to enjoy something special with others and be completely present in the moment as I try to cultivate a good atmosphere and faithfully practice all the little things that are part of being a good host or guest for this style of tea.

i flunked out posted:

yeah just make sure you rinse it out with enough boiling water that when you pour out the boiling water it starts to come out clear instead of cloudy. and yeah to the handle/knob

thanks! that seems to be the prevailing advice. had to flail around a while confirming how not to destroy my nice new kettle. I'm really accustomed to greasing up cast iron so this is a new adventure for me.

the tea shop owner translated the interior coating as enamel, but I worked on the reading more and found that it's actually a coating of lacquer I have to boil off. we didn't share enough if any language in common to sort that out but I bought the pot anyway because it's lovely and I'm a bit foolhardy

the unabonger
can u post a pic of it. teapots are my weird pleasure

POOL IS CLOSED

i flunked out posted:

can u post a pic of it. teapots are my weird pleasure

light was a bit better this morning. please forgive my amateur photos!

the white stuff is the lacquer. i plan on getting that all out today, finally!

the unabonger
very nice

deep dish peat moss

Some Saturday mornings you wake up at 6am and just have to make yourself a nice breakfast

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

Some Saturday mornings you wake up at 6am and just have to make yourself a nice breakfast

Lol

joke_explainer

I haven't cooked anything in forever... been no real practical opportunities to do so. I got to hang out with my grandma for the first time in years a few days ago and it really taught me how my cooking is bad, though I don't mean in terms of quality of the end product. I'm meticulous in the one thing I am obsessing over. But she had like 7 dishes going at the same time with absolutely zero stress. I never noticed it as a kid when visiting and she'd make these huge dinners, but it is something I continually stress with when making a big dinner. I even have a little timer fob thing and I still gently caress everything up with lots of stuff cooking at the same time. I guess if I made family dinners for like 30 years I'd get it down, and only cooking once every couple months probably tamps down on that.

In other food related news, I forgot the name of Shakshuka earlier today and googled it and got these amazing directions.

Save.

Save...

Save...

poverty goat

i made liege waffles for mom and grandma

I used this recipe and they turned out perfect

Petr
I've been trying to make lavash crackers (basically lavash bread rolled out superthin before baking so it gets crackly like a pretzel) but I'm having a hard time rolling it out thin enough. Any byobites got advice for rolling out really stiff dough really thin?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

poverty goat

Petr posted:

I've been trying to make lavash crackers (basically lavash bread rolled out superthin before baking so it gets crackly like a pretzel) but I'm having a hard time rolling it out thin enough. Any byobites got advice for rolling out really stiff dough really thin?

Keeping it cooler might help if it's ripping/sticking, and to that end you might try icing your countertop for a few mins first

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

Eh, I can probably mention a dozen places I had a mind blowing meal. But my favorite dining experience ever was going to the Le Cirque at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. There I was shown what world class service really means.

We were there for my brother's bachelor party, so it was a special occasion meal. My father and I both got some extravagant 7 course tasting offering they don't even seem to offer anymore. Each item was better than the last. Fois gras sliders on meticulously rounded and tiny brioche buns. Caviar. Basil sorbet. Saffron broth with lobster. Now this was almost 20 years ago, but some of those bites stick with me. But that's not the part that cemented it in my head. It was the service.

There's a real skill to placing a chair just a whisper behind someone's knee as they sit down. To smile and offer the deference of serving staff without being servile. To be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. To be perfectly in tune to the needs of the diners. Even to offer a little bit of humor.

My father is a smoker. The courses were coming somewhat quickly, with little lag between completion to new dish presentation. This started to annoy my father a little bit because he wanted to pop off to have a cigarette at the bar without having a dish get cold. He didn't say anything to the wait staff, but made an offhand comment to the table. As he finished his course, two waiters approached from behind, each at a shoulder. As one removed his current plate, the other one in the same motion placed a covered pot in front of him, to which my father gave a frustrated grunt. The first waiter, having had the dirty plate taken away by some other third waiter in the shadows, reached to the pot, and removed the lid.

In the pot, on a doily, was a cigarette and a pack of matches.

Dunno if you still hang around Bo-Pepps, but I told this story about you at a group of 19 people this evening and it absolutely brought the house down in a group of service industry workers and people were talking about how that's loving service.

joke_explainer

That is crazy to me. Like, being so in tune with the situation, observant, and picking a solution and delivering it in such a way that so many years later, people are literally talking about your action. Even though you probably will never know that they are. That is legendary.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I'm still reading off and on. I just got out of a posting headspace a while back and haven't been able to shake it.

What might change that is the Anova sous vide cooker I have coming in the mail this weekend. Gonna start some next level water baths soon.

Manifisto

Bo-Pepper posted:

I'm still reading off and on. I just got out of a posting headspace a while back and haven't been able to shake it.

What might change that is the Anova sous vide cooker I have coming in the mail this weekend. Gonna start some next level water baths soon.

this might be sacrilege, but do people ever use their sous vide immersion thingies in their (cleaning) baths to keep the water the perfect temperature?

fuck. marry. t-rex

Shrimp, mushroom, & vegetable medley in filo dough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robot Made of Meat

Bo-Pepper posted:

I love the Anova. It sounds so much like a gimmick, but the results are amazing.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I love the anova. I have used one for quite a while now. I'm a fraud, I don't cook for a family, but I've used that thing more than any other kitchen appliance. So convenient to put something in there and just not have to worry about it until serving.

joke_explainer

Well I had an interesting week. So I have this nice pressure cooker... the Breville Fast Slow Pro, which I lampooned in an earlier post. It's a great little device. Very convenient for a lot of things. I ended up buying one, well after that post, but I blame reading about it to write that post for my buying it.

Anyway, my roommate tried to use it and didn't realize it needed the insertable pot that fits inside of it, so just dumped the ingredients into the thing and turned it on. I thought for sure it was ruined, but he took it apart and cleaned it and fixed it. I wanted to test it out so I made some mushroom risotto.

This recipe works even if you don't have a pressure cooker, the pressure cooker just makes it easier as you don't have to babysit it while it cooks. It is from http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe.html

Get about 1.5 lbs of various mushrooms, 1 oz of dried porcini mushrooms, arborio rice, some herbs (tarragon, chives, and parsley here), a medium sized yellow onion, some garlic, butter, cream, olive oil, parmesan cheese. A quart of chicken stock. Homemade is best, but if you don't get homemade add a little gelatin to it: One tablespoon is great and you can buy those food service containers of knox and it makes the stock about a thousand times better. Arborio rice and a bottle of dry white wine. Two to three cloves of garlic. Clean all your mushrooms and slice them thinly as best you can.

Microwave your dried porcinis with your stock for about 5 minutes and get them nice and hydrated. Remove and chop them up.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of olive oil in your pot. Add mushrooms once it stops foaming. All mushroom scraps, put them in with the stock.

They cook down in about 8 minutes. Salt and pepper the mushrooms. Add the finely chopped onion and garlic. 4 minutes or so to cook that.

Add the wine. Except that was stupid - add the rice before you add the wine. You have to toast the rice to make a proper risotto: That outer layer on the rice has to break down slightly to make the whole thing work. Realize you screwed up. Dump the liquid into a mixing bowl using a lid and your oven mitt to hold the hot inner pot on the pressure cooker. Then add some more butter and the rice, to make up for the butter you washed out with wine.

After a little while the rice starts to turn translucent on the edges while still white in the center. That's what you want to see. Now dump the stock in there, through a fine mesh strainer to remove all those extra bits that they soaked with.

Looks good. Set the pressure cooker to about 10 psi, and 6 minutes, close it up and go. Or if you are using a dutch oven instead of a pressure cooker, add two more cups of broth and stir occasionally after reducing heat to a simmer after you bring it to a boil. It will take about 30 minutes.

Chop up some herbs:

If you are using a pressure cooker, sit next to it and let it finish its work.

Once the pressure cooker tells you it is done, open it up and stir it.

Looking pretty good.

Grate about an ounce of parmesan and add finely chopped herbs. Save a little for sprinkling on top at the end.

Mix it all up and it's done. Put it in bowls and eat it.

Feed some people and box the rest up. It actually keeps pretty well in the fridge.

It's also really good with some asparagus in there too. But I just did mushrooms this time. Have fun!

joke_explainer

Sorry the pictures are kind of garbage, just wanted to make some kind of post but didn't have time to get all fancy with it.

Manifisto

drat that sounds good, thanks for the effortpost

although with the equipmentchat it does almost inevitably call to mind the Thermomix episode of the Katering Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

unusually for me I disagree with the ladies, hot wet rice is actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

peaches are in season and ive been making a lot of pies!!!

heres what you do

get some bruised peaches at the farners' market and slice them radially into a pie shell, optionally including half a pound or so of blueberries. aim for 1.5 lbs of fruit in the pie, don't worry about peeling if you don't want to, just make sure the peaches are sliced pretty thin so there's no huge pieces of skin in there and the skins will just add some color and look nice

now melt 3tbs of butter, then add a cup of sugar and 2 rounded tbsp of flour (shooting for 2tbsp+2tsp here) and whisk it up until your whisk is a mess then add an egg and whisk some more until it's all gooey. pour it over the peaches and put that fucker in the oven at 375 for an hour, followed by 15 mins or so at 350, when it should be starting to brown up just a bit around the center

congrats you've made the best peach pie

corn starch and tapioca can :frogout:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 15, 2017