Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ornamented Death posted:

I am very concerned about this bird and hope he got a cool 3D-printed prosthetic beak.

He did!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Where will that darn bird end up next!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ranbo das posted:

The guy in question is from Puerto Rico and only moved to the continental US for college. He's definitely a minority. And if it's illegal for low skill positions, it would be illegal for high skill positions too :v:

I am having trouble finding words small enough to make this clear, so focus really really hard on sounding them out, okay?

It is always illegal. It is not always punished.

Improper hiring practices get punished when someone discriminated against has the means to not only hire a lawyer, but to weather the blacklisting they'll get from their industry for speaking up.

A company filtering minorities out at the resume stage rarely gets caught, because there's no proof without an investigation. A company saying/doing blatantly illegal things when hiring low-income workers rarely gets caught, because there's no proof without an investigation. A company saying/doing blatantly illegal things when hiring high-income workers sometimes gets caught, when the worker is in a position to risk pursuing it.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Koalas March posted:

You are really underestimating institutional racism, patriarchy and trans/homophobia.

Welcome to the thread!

Long time lurker?

Daily search for Tiny Brontosaurus posts?

General search for "racism", "sexism", etc?

I am always curious as to how people find this place when things start to go down the shitter.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

potatoducks posted:

Welcome to the thread!

Long time lurker?

I am always curious as to how people find this place when things start to go down the shitter.

She's a mod you loving moron.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Koalas March posted:

You are really underestimating institutional racism, patriarchy and trans/homophobia.

Nah, I know it's bad. I don't even disagree with TB most of the time. However, when it's pointed out where she's wrong (it's not illegal to ask somewhere where they live as part of the interview process), she flips out and doubles down on everything. If she was so certain that the guy asking her that question was doing so to discriminate against her, she could have at least sought advice from any number of non-profits that exist to serve as watchdogs for such discrimination. Instead she threw up her hands and said "welp I'm too poor to fight this!"

Now, may very well have sough such advice and been told the case wasn't strong enough. That's a thing that could have happened! If so, she should have said so, and I'd have been like "wow, my bad for making bullshit assumptions, that sucks." Instead, she called me a moron and insinuated I'm a rapist.

That's awesome.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6adxae/3_years_in_and_no_performance_reviewraise/
3 years in and no performance review/raise (self.personalfinance)
submitted 21 minutes ago by waiting4what

quote:

As the title says, I have been at my company for 3 years. It's typical office work and when I first started I was told employees would get performance reviews/annual raises every year. Well I didn't get mine the 1st year or the 2nd year. When I told my manager, he said he hadn't realized I didn't get one. He manages a team of 5 people and we work around each other so I know what his schedule is like. It's likely he was just lazy and forgot about it. He has time to walk around and shoot the poo poo with other people when it's not busy and it's starting to piss me off.
I know I should have said something the first year. It was my first real job and I was afraid of stepping on toes even though I know I deserved a review. Well, this is the 3rd year and a few of my colleagues had to practically beg him for months for a review. He never got around to it, and one of my coworkers went straight to the CEO who rectified the situation by giving her her annual raise. From what I heard, he was not happy with my manager. She didn't do the review but was automatically given the raise.
So now I am in a weird position. I have been bugging him for about a month now but all I get told is "probably next week". Do I step on toes and e-mail the CEO or do I wait it out and bug him until he gets it done?

I've been stewing about not getting a raise for the last two years, and am only now starting to bring it up!
Sorry your boss sucks, but man you've got to take your career in your own hands and move out if you're not getting any chances to move up.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

She's a mod you loving moron.

Mods have time to look at all new posts? I don't know. Maybe. That's why I asked. Why the hostility? I haven't been arguing against you at all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah, I know it's bad. I don't even disagree with TB most of the time. However, when it's pointed out where she's wrong (it's not illegal to ask somewhere where they live as part of the interview process), she flips out and doubles down on everything. If she was so certain that the guy asking her that question was doing so to discriminate against her, she could have at least sought advice from any number of non-profits that exist to serve as watchdogs for such discrimination. Instead she threw up her hands and said "welp I'm too poor to fight this!"

Now, may very well have sough such advice and been told the case wasn't strong enough. That's a thing that could have happened! If so, she should have said so, and I'd have been like "wow, my bad for making bullshit assumptions, that sucks." Instead, she called me a moron and insinuated I'm a rapist.

It is illegal. It is. Multiple people have cited multiple sources showing you it's illegal. And you saying discrimination must be okay if the victim can't fight back is breathtakingly evil. You are human garbage. I know all you'll do is just continue your tantrum that some disagreeable facts snuck through your hood's eyeholes, but your attitude is psychotically inhumane and minorities are going to continue to get uppity and insist that crimes against them are wrong no matter how much you throw fits about it.

If you don't like being called a moron try not being so ignorant you veer into literal evil.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I am having trouble finding words small enough to make this clear, so focus really really hard on sounding them out, okay?

It is always illegal. It is not always punished.

Improper hiring practices get punished when someone discriminated against has the means to not only hire a lawyer, but to weather the blacklisting they'll get from their industry for speaking up.

A company filtering minorities out at the resume stage rarely gets caught, because there's no proof without an investigation. A company saying/doing blatantly illegal things when hiring low-income workers rarely gets caught, because there's no proof without an investigation. A company saying/doing blatantly illegal things when hiring high-income workers sometimes gets caught, when the worker is in a position to risk pursuing it.

Except if you read the other post I quoted, turns out there's a perfectly legal way to ask someone where they live and their rent/own status, which is what I was interested in.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

It is illegal. It is. Multiple people have cited multiple sources showing you it's illegal. And you saying discrimination must be okay if the victim can't fight back is breathtakingly evil. You are human garbage. I know all you'll do is just continue your tantrum that some disagreeable facts snuck through your hood's eyeholes, but your attitude is psychotically inhumane and minorities are going to continue to get uppity and insist that crimes against them are wrong no matter how much you throw fits about it.

If you don't like being called a moron try not being so ignorant you veer into literal evil.

This might be a crazy theory, but maybe there are reasons outside of your race and gender that come across in a job interview that make people reluctant to hire you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ranbo das posted:

Except if you read the other post I quoted, turns out there's a perfectly legal way to ask someone where they live and their rent/own status, which is what I was interested in.

Read the rest of the loving thread you loving idiot rear end in a top hat.

Droo posted:

This might be a crazy theory, but maybe there are reasons outside of your race and gender that come across in a job interview that make people reluctant to hire you.

Said literally every ignorant piece of poo poo to literally every protected-class job-seeker who spoke up about discrimination. Magical how nothing bad ever ever happens, nothing's unfair, people only get what's coming to them, the world is Just.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Why can't we have nice things? Why can't you jackasses go to D&D or wherever the gently caress?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barry posted:

Why can't we have nice things? Why can't you jackasses go to D&D or wherever the gently caress?

Oh I'm sorry I thought if I ever failed, even once, to stand up against discrimination that makes discrimination 100% okay? Goon logic says anything that happens to you that you don't fight back about is fine, right?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Read the rest of the loving thread you loving idiot rear end in a top hat.

Said literally every ignorant piece of poo poo to literally every protected-class job-seeker who spoke up about discrimination. Magical how nothing bad ever ever happens, nothing's unfair, people only get what's coming to them, the world is Just.

No, you really seem unlikable and difficult to hire. And I say this with no knowledge of your gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Oh I'm sorry I thought if I ever failed, even once, to stand up against discrimination that makes discrimination 100% okay? Goon logic says anything that happens to you that you don't fight back about is fine, right?

Fight the good fight, just do it elsewhere. Post BWM here.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ornamented Death posted:

However, when it's pointed out where she's wrong (it's not illegal to ask somewhere where they live as part of the interview process), she flips out and doubles down on everything. If she was so certain that the guy asking her that question was doing so to discriminate against her, she could have at least sought advice from any number of non-profits that exist to serve as watchdogs for such discrimination. Instead she threw up her hands and said "welp I'm too poor to fight this!"
Her absolute belief of having been a life-long career victim cannot allow for backing down. I have been (incorrectly) accused of thinking that the individual ('s poor choices) is responsible to an absolute and complete extent. She apparently does believes that of society. Nothing is ever her fault.

Droo posted:

I think she may have "Gender Studies" tattooed across her forehead.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's OP rules about "getting the last word" and "being mean" but I can tell that the parties involved here have one of two mindsets

1. Fighting the systematic oppression of protected classes
2. Fighting the assertion that they're racist sexist homophobic rapists

Those are big issues that certainly trump the rules, but this is a thread about being bad with money, yo. I didn't see anything that really justified either mindset, it looked more like two people gradually got more annoyed with each other until they became The Ultimate Evil in each other's eyesl. Maybe just take a break from the thread.

My buddy spends $40 a day on delivery food. Tee hee!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
BWM: I've eaten out for lunch basically every day for years. I could be saving hundreds a month by making my own. I make a little over $20k a year.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

potatoducks posted:

Welcome to the thread!

Long time lurker?

Actually ZDR set up a special notification so that anytime someone posts something related to racism on the forums I get an alert that goes straight to my phone and plays an mp3 of All Of The Lights by Kanye West.

It's like a bat signal, but for internet racists.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I basically pay a relatively large amount of money for my unhealthy laziness.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Burn this one down, we'll try again with BWM Thread 3.0

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Actually ZDR set up a special notification so that anytime someone posts something related to racism on the forums I get an alert that goes straight to my phone and plays an mp3 of All Of The Lights by Kanye West.

It's like a bat signal, but for internet racists.

Dude you know he says the n word in that song right? :(

Maybe you have the clean version?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

What omg that's so hosed up did he have to live at a bird rescue after that

UPDATE: He got married at the courthouse and bought the cheapest ring ever, omg let me tell you about it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 11, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's OP rules about "getting the last word" and "being mean" but I can tell that the parties involved here have one of two mindsets

1. Fighting the systematic oppression of protected classes
2. Fighting the assertion that they're racist sexist homophobic rapists

Those are big issues that certainly trump the rules, but this is a thread about being bad with money, yo. I didn't see anything that really justified either mindset, it looked more like two people gradually got more annoyed with each other until they became The Ultimate Evil in each other's eyesl. Maybe just take a break from the thread.

I don't think TB's evil, I just think she can't handle someone disagreeing with her on even a semantic level, which is all I did. It's not illegal to ask someone their address during an interview (my point, supported by the EEO guidelines posted a while back). It is illegal to use that information to discriminate against them (her point, also supported by the EEO guidelines posted a while back, and not something I objected to or disagreed with).

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I know a guy that subscribes to one of those pre-made meal services. He pays something like $10/meal for a fancy TV dinner. You could literally go out to eat at a local deli or chinese place for every single meal and it would cost less than that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6adxgx/approved_for_20k_line_of_credit_take_15k_and_put/

quote:

I got approved for a $20,000 line of credit that carries 3.85% interest. I'm planning on throwing $15,000 into TDB422 as I have been monitoring fund TDB422 for the past 2 years and feel comfortable investing in that fund for the long term (5-10 years). This leaves me with $5,000 to pay for the interest should this plan fail. Interest in the first year would total $588.73, which would be peanuts to the growth this money can see.

I am comfortable with the risk level, and I know that the fund will increase way past the 3.85% interest rate. I'm planning on using quest trade for this, and may be looking at taking out a small portion for my own personal interests.
Are there any flaws in my plan? Please let me know.

I can't find any flaws in your plan, Nostradamus.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I know a guy that subscribes to one of those pre-made meal services. He pays something like $10/meal for a fancy TV dinner. You could literally go out to eat at a local deli or chinese place for every single meal and it would cost less than that.

I tried TriFecta! It was so unbelievably bad I posted some poo poo on their facebook page and their ceo apologized. 11 dollars a meal and it was horrid in taste and texture. Significantly less pleasant than a goddamn lean cuisine.

They're like 320 calories a pop too, and they proudly say "eat 3 a day for full nutrition!!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I tried TriFecta! It was so unbelievably bad I posted some poo poo on their facebook page and their ceo apologized. 11 dollars a meal and it was horrid in taste and texture. Significantly less pleasant than a goddamn lean cuisine.

They're like 320 calories a pop too, and they proudly say "eat 3 a day for full nutrition!!"

Maybe they're talking about full nutrition for hobbits, you don't know

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sounds like this person lives in Canada too.

quote:

Isn't this the same thing as getting a mortgage. It's a leveraged loan on a property that you think will appreciate. Past performance doesn't indicate future results, but buying a condo two years ago, I've seen 32.6% appreciation currently. My mortgage carries a 1.85% interest rate. Using similar logic with a slightly higher interest rate does not feel different.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Those prepackaged meals absolutely blow my mind and I cannot see how anyone buys those. LIke, if you're lazy and want to just get fast food every day or whatever, sure, I can at least see the logic, even if it's not a sound one.

But the inconvenience of cooking a meal at home with the costs of going out? Who decided they wanted the worst of both worlds?!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They do a fantastic job with the marketing. They made me feel like I was a clean eating environmentally responsible weight-lifter when I microwaved my literal scoop of granola I paid $11 for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Do you know my ex-coworker? He got 6 meals a week from Freshly because he was a 40 year old bachelor with no desire to learn anything new, like cooking. He talked about how great it was at $10 a meal. Meanwhile I come in all week with something that cost $10-15 for the whole week.

Single white collar workers in a high COL area are BWM so often. Some of the managers and employees in my department go out for lunch almost every day together.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe they're talking about full nutrition for hobbits, you don't know

960 calories for hobbits would get you through, what, second breakfast? You might get to elevenses if your hobbit was dieting.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why? That's the only question I can really come up with. Why does he do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That depends on your area, sadly.

But even assuming equal price and nutritional content, meal delivery services and meal replacement shakes and bars all have the same problem: you're better off cooking. You're better off having the experience of cooking, just for psychological reasons, especially as a family. Too many families don't have the time to do it (also there are some treats which are best made at small-business-scale and then sold, like pastries or paella), but at root, cooking is something to optimize in to your life, not out.

It's a luxury, but so is taking a relaxing walk outside: everyone deserves to be able to make it part of their life